Time

The (un)Lucky and Lousy Caretaker

Chapter 4

“A cover for a time travel story, when the story is not even done?” Aiba exclaimed. “How am I going to grasp the feelings and mood of the story for design?”

“Aiba, that guy is paying us a hefty sum and he wants you to design it. That was his condition. You are going to earn a lot!” Aiba’s manager spoke. A mysterious man had called to ask Aiba to design a cover for a time travel story but Aiba had to do it without any basic storyline. All that was known was that it was a time travel story.

“What if he is bogus? How do you even know he is really going to pay that much?” Aiba inquired. The way things were working was not convincing. Why will an author not finish his story and sent out a request for a book cover design? What was worse was that the author did not provide sufficient details for the designer.

“The deposit is already sent in.” The manager replied.

“After the first sketch, he would send money again.”
Aiba’s eyes widened. The deposit that had arrived was twice the usual deposit amount.

“This author is sure one crazy guy! What’s his name?” Aiba asked.

“0817.” The manager replied.

“What? 0817?” Aiba’s eyes remained widened. “Numbers? Related to Yui? Time travel?” All these terms were unsettling.

“Yes, that was what he said.” The manager sighed. Indeed, this client was strange. However, the money was real.

“What if I refuse to do it?” Aiba questioned. The key terms troubled him. He had a bad premonition. “What if this guy is out to get Yui back? When did I start thinking that Yui is more important than my livelihood? Great, Aiba, you are thinking too much. Just design it…” Aiba’s thoughts were running.

“Is 0817 prophetic? He mentioned that if you ever asked if you could reject, he instructed me to tell you this that Aiba will regret even more if you did not do it. 0611’s life is at stake.” The manager shook his head. He had no idea what the strange client was talking about but he recorded the message on a piece of paper lest he forgot about it.

“What?” Aiba exclaimed. His thoughts were running in the correct direction. This definitely had something to do with Yui or 0611. He just had to design it, though he would have to avoid letting Yui come any near this designing task. Her nightmares were getting more frequent and he did not want her condition to worsen. “I will do it then. Did he set any datelines?”

“No, but he did say that you are racing against time.” The manager replied solemnly.

“Seriously, why did you even adhere to such strange requests from such a weird client? For the money?” Aiba asked in frustration.

The manager nodded his head. “It is a practical world, Masaki. This could be your breakthrough as well.”
Aiba sighed and left. He was going home to brainstorm and the manager was not stopping him. On his way back, Aiba bought more food and some painkillers for Yui as well.

“Aiba, you are back!” Yui exclaimed happily when she saw him back at home. His presence was becoming a source of support and in addition, Aiba always bought delicious food which excited Yui. As usual, Aiba was carrying bags of food and beverages.

“What food did you buy this time?” Yui rushed to carry the bags to the kitchen. Aiba smiled at the sight of Yui, poking fun at her. “I wonder if you are happy to see me or the food.”

Yui stuck out her tongue at him and began taking out the food. Her eyes were glued to the different delicacies yet again.

Aiba looked at Yui, feeling a pang of guilt and pain in his heart. He had to keep the designing task under wraps from her. He could not tell her anything. However, he had to protect her. He really would want to see her staying as happy as she was right now. He shook his head. It was time to enjoy a proper meal with Yui.

At that moment, Yui came over pulling Aiba by his arms to the table. “Let’s eat!” She beamed.

That was enough to keep Aiba going. Yui’s smiles, laughter and approval…

“What design are you supposed to do?” Yui asked between 
bites.

Aiba swallowed his food hard. “Not sure. The client was not exactly clear about the details. I guess I will do some random sketches and submit them to Boss. Hopefully, he will be more specific later on.” Aiba kept his answers ambiguous. He was not telling lies, but he was not going to reveal the truth either.

Yui nodded her head, “do you need my help?”

Aiba replied immediately, “no! No! I mean, no, thank you.”

Yui was bemused by Aiba’s reaction but did not inquire more. Afterall, she understood that everyone had his or her own secrets to keep. She had been hiding secrets from Aiba as well. She was remembering more pieces from her past, or rather, her future.

She had experimented with the time machine on a man’s request. The man who was chasing her was asking her not to try it and that things were not as simple. The time machine was not simply just a time machine. The man who designed the time machine kept some parts of the truth from her. He had wanted 0611 to help him find a woman. 0611 was sympathetic and intrigued by such a mission and had agreed.

She still could not recall her relations to both men. However, she remembered that the one chasing after her was some form of superior to her. She had been one of his best designers. Apparently, she had a secret ability that was highly appreciated by her superiors. Thus, she was able to communicate with anyone if she wanted to.

The man who designed the time machine had been one of the most interesting males she had spoken to. He spoke of the histories which reminded her of the current times she was spending with Aiba now. He spoke of the many unusual items, objects and people that she could never imagine. In particular, he spoke of a woman in a photograph he had found. He wanted to find the woman.

However, no matter how hard Yui (0611) tried to recall the profile pictures on the other two men’s accounts, she could see nothing. Her head was throbbing harder than ever at night. She would grit her teeth tightly and gripped the blanket, covering herself with it. She did not want to make any audible noise that might arouse Aiba from his sleep. She had to face this alone.

Both Aiba and Yui munched on their food silently, deep in their thoughts. Both of them were trying to shield each other from what was coming next…

Back in his room after the meal, Aiba started brainstorming really hard. He had no inspiration at all. All that he could think of was Yui and the looming danger. He was afraid. She might just be gone once he finished designing. Indeed, others might mock him for being crazy and ridiculous.

However, the fact that 0611 came to the present and took over Yui’s body was in itself a crazy matter.

“What do I do?” Aiba gasped in irritation and messed up his own hair.

Meanwhile, Yui was staring at the ceilings. She had no idea what to do as well. Other than the nightmares, she could not seem to be able to recollect any memories. She moved to the computer that the initial Yui had had in the room.

She switched it on and began to search for information about time machines, time travel, predictions about the future and memory loss. She was determined to remember and end the unease once and for all, especially when she did not want the innocent Aiba to get involved.

She suppressed the gloomy thoughts of her returning to the future and never being able to meet Aiba again. She had to piece up the gaps in her memory.

Aiba sketched out the galaxies. It was not right. He drew clocks. He drew so many of them, from the grandfather’s clock to a watch. He drew the hour glasses. Nothing seemed to fit the theme of time travel.

“You are racing against time.” Aiba could imagine a deep haunting voice repeating this line.

Indeed, he was racing against time. He wanted to save and help Yui in any way he could. He rubbed his temples, took in a deep breath and scanned the images he had sketched.

He began to sketch out an outline of a woman whose build was similar to Yui. He had no idea why he was doing it but Yui was definitely a crucial key. He was sketching her back view and a long shadow behind. The feeling was lonesome.

Aiba seemed to have picked up some ideas as he continued to place broken clocks and watches on the floor in the cover design. In the background, he began to draw a faded hour glass where the sand was not slipping through the tiny hole from the top to bottom. Instead, the sand was moving in an upward direction.

He erased the outline. Something was not right. 
Yui had to hold on to something. Aiba tried drawing balloons as he recalled her face when she saw the balloons that day.

However, this was not right again.

Aiba decided to let it rest for today. Perhaps, he could try to ask Yui and somehow derive some better ideas.

He then decided to check on Yui. He knocked on her door but Yui did not answer. “Yui, I am coming in!” Aiba shouted but there was still no response.

Aiba turned the knob and stepped in stealthily, half-expecting the mischievous Yui to jump on him after he opened the door. However, what he saw scared him.

Yui was lying on the bed, biting onto her blanket. Beads of perspiration were on her face. It was obvious that she was having her nightmares again. However, it was not even time for sleep yet. Aiba turned to look around. He noticed that the computer was on.

He went to browse through what Yui was looking at earlier. He saw searches of time travel and time machine. His eyes went over to Yui and he noticed the sleeping pills on the small desk besides her bed.

Aiba understood Yui’s intention. She wanted to sleep so that she could see her nightmares. She wanted to solve the puzzle. She wanted to recover her memories.

Aiba had the strong urge to shake Yui out of her sleep so that she could experience less pain but he decided against it. He saw the papers on her desk and floor. Apparently, Yui was busy sketching as well. The images she sketched included outlines of a man which she numbered 0817. There was another one of a screen which showcased a profile but the name and picture were blank.

Then he saw it, the sleek silver machine with a prominent red button. The legendary time machine.

He knew that was what was missing in his cover design. Yui was supposed to hold onto that.

His heart ached for the lady in pain. She was trying so hard to recall but yet she did not want to disturb him. Aiba did not know what to do. He wanted to help her. He could finish up the design but what would come next?

He shook his head. He slowly moved to Yui’s bed. He removed the blanket from her clenched teeth slowly and wiped off the perspiration. He went to adjust the temperature of the air-conditioner to a lower temperature so that she would be more comfortable. After all these little acts, Aiba climbed onto the bed and pulled Yui into a tight embrace.

“We are in this together, Yui. We are in this together, 0611. I am not going to leave you alone.” He whispered into her ears, hoping she could find comfort in his words if she could hear him in her nightmares. He wanted to be there for her.

Yui snuggled and fit into Aiba’s embrace like a key to a lock. Her breathing was slower and Aiba could feel that she was more relaxed now. Aiba wondered if he might be thinking too much but nonetheless, he was contented to be there for her and with her. He could not leave her alone.

Yui was still running and panting hard in her nightmares, afraid of being taken back. Her fears were heightened after the times she spent with Aiba. She felt only dread if she had to go back. She would miss the silly and goofy man so much. He was so innocent and caring. He was not scheming unlike people in her era.

She was so afraid but somehow she thought she could hear Aiba’s words to her. She felt his presence and hence became to relax a little. She was not to keep running if she had wanted to see the man’s face. She had to stop and wait for him to appear. She had to wait and face the surge of memories which always caused her throbbing pain.

“0611. You finally stopped running.” His voice boomed loudly in the abyss of darkness in Yui’s dream.

“0817!” Yui’s voice called out without fear. She was ready.

“I see you finally recalled something. Long time no see, 0611. Or should I call you Yui?” The man stepped forward and Yui could finally see his face. She had also recalled that this man had the ability to enter dreams. 0611 was not just simply a designer. She was in a team of elites with special abilities which were kept secret.

However, she could not recall her secret ability yet.
The man was wearing a suit which was only available in Aiba’s era. Yui felt fear choking her. Had he been watching her? Had he been watching Aiba? Would he hurt Aiba? A million thoughts seeped into her mind. Fear had been planted in her ever since she stepped foot into Aiba’s apartment and had been growing.

He had defined features with chestnut brown hair styled in a messy yet casual manner. His smirk had a certain charisma and his big eyes blinked with mischief. His sharp nose and thick eyebrows added charm to his face. It would be more than easy for girls to swoon over him. Yui could picture his profile picture on the computer screen now.

“0817, what do you want?” She decided to be straightforward. He was already in Aiba’s era which meant that he could start acting in ways that Yui could not dare imagine. She would not let him hurt Aiba.

“Simple. I just want you and that machine back. You have to be punished. You know you are not to make the machine become a real machine. Worse than that, you even went to experiment with it yourself. You have broken the rules of our society and had committed a serious sin by abusing your special ability to fulfill your own desires and not for the greater good of society.” 0817 stated solemnly. 0611 was one of his favourite subordinates who always accomplished her tasks dutifully and without fail, until she started talking to that man. 0817 clenched his fists.

“Special ability?” Yui mumbled to herself, biting her lips and trying her best to recall. She could see herself designing magazines, characters and others. She remembered that people sent her designs all the times, asking her to make the designs come to life.

Then she saw it. 0817 had sent her documents containing designs of weapons. She could see herself closing her eyes, focusing and then she moved her hands to caress the outlines of the designs. Slowly, the miniature weapons began to come alive. In their times, 3D (3-dimensional) photocopying was already a norm. However, she had a secret ability which was that she could make designs come to life if she focused and wanted them to. She could create monsters and enemies or even allies.

Yui gasped at her own visions.

She was the one who created the time machine. The man merely sent her the design and his reasons for coming up with such a machine.

She stared at her own hands.

“0611. I guess you realize what mistakes you have committed. Go back with me now, and pass me the machine!” 0817 commanded again.

“NO!” Yui (0611) shouted. She had no idea where that machine was. She did not want to leave Aiba.

“What do you think you are doing, 0611? Leave with me, now!” 0817 was rushing forward to grab her arms.

Yui shook them off violently. “I have to find the machine first.” She stared at him.

“What? You mean you have no idea where that machine was?” It was 0817’s turn to be shocked.

Yui shook her head. She did not recall keeping or seeing any time machine.

“What?” 0817 was bewildered.

“Tell me about the man and the time machine. You said it was not as simple.” Yui instructed. She had to piece the puzzle and figured out the truth.

0817 inhaled deeply. 0611 was obviously still confused.

“0405, like many others, heard about your ability and began conversing with you. 0405 came up with the time machine design and sent it to you, claiming that he just wanted you to help him find the woman. However, based on our research and later when we saw the copy of time machine design in your room, we figured that he was a genius designer. The time machine was not just to transport you back in time, but to also have you replaced the woman here so that the woman he was looking for could be transported back to him. When we tried to arrest him, he was indignant and refused to speak until we brought the weak and sobbing long-haired woman whom we found in your room to him.”

0817 took another breath.

“The reason why he chose you as well was that Yui and you looked very alike. 0405 by some mistake or chance travelled to our era by inventing a potion but he could not bring himself back to the past to meet his beloved Yui. Thus, upon hearing that you had the ability to make designs come true, he started hatching his plan. After he came to our era, he stopped aging as well.”

“How does he look like?” Yui asked, her eyes were getting blurry with tears. She had trusted the man 0405 and was intrigued and deeply empathetic to his love story and accounts of histories.

0817 tapped his fingers in air and a profile screen popped up in air. It showed the man 0405 and his picture. He had a grin on his face and a mole on his chin. He had blonde hair and dark eyes. Another suave-looking man who showed and told her about all those wonderful stuff that she could not imagine.

A tear rolled down her cheek.

“I will find the machine and then follow you. Do not disturb this world and its people. What happened to 0405 in the end?” Yui felt despair. She had been made used of, willingly.

“He was exiled with the wimpy woman to the isolated factories. Strangely though, he seemed relieved.” 0817 commented. He was glad to hear 0611’s reply.

Yui (0611) nodded her head.

“Can I sleep in peace now?” Yui inquired. She was tired. She was tired of all the chasing and running, the pains and darkness and fear, and the schemes and special abilities.

0817 nodded his head and left. “I hope you can find the machine soon.”

The darkness vanished and Yui found herself fluttering her eyelids open. She was awake now.

She felt warmth around her and she could hear the sound of a thumping heart. She looked up and found herself staring at Aiba’s sleeping face. His arms were around her and her head was against his chest.

“Aiba…” Yui sobbed and wrapped her arms tighter around him.

Yui wished that she could invent and make a time machine at this moment. A time machine that could freeze time.

She closed her eyes and could finally sleep in peace... with Aiba.

-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ARAGAKI YUI! :) WE HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY. HAHAS. LONG CHPT. OMG. N I HOPE IT MAKES SENSE. I HAVENT BEEN WRITING THIS FOR SO LONGGGGG.

OH WELLS.

THANK YOU.

0611 IS YUI. (HER BIRTHDAY)

0405 is MIURA HARUMA. (HIS BIRTHDAY)

AS FOR 0817, I USED IT AS IT IS TODA ERIKA'S BIRTHDAY:P HAHAS. SHE IS ONE OF MY FAV TOO. HEHES.

BEST REGARDS
th1rd3ye/crunch!:)