Memories

The (un)Lucky and Lousy Caretaker
Chapter 3

“This design is perfect for my book! I love it! Thanks!” Aiba’s client praised.

Aiba nodded and smiled.

He would get his commission soon then. In his mind, he started thinking of what he should treat Yui since she helped him with the design.

After a few moments, he mentally slapped himself. “Why am I being so nice to her?”

“But she did help you, so she deserves a reward too, doesn’t she?”

“I am already helping her quit her job and in the future, I wonder if I can get my rent money…”

“Come on, Aiba! Just be nice! She can continue to help you and you can earn more money.”

Aiba shook his head. The two opposing voices in his head were too annoying. He decided that he would just grab more food back home later on…

Meanwhile, while Aiba was feeling satisfied about his successful deal, Yui was having a terrible headache again.

“Isn’t this interesting to go back in time and look at the less advanced world?” The words appeared on the screen.

Yui could see herself typing a reply to that. “I think that it would be cool as well. But many intelligent beings have tried to invent time machines for time transport but they didn’t succeed, did they?”

The other person having the online conversation replied. “Well, we will never know whether someone has succeeded. Why would someone want to announce that he or she has successfully invented the time machine? That would be so dangerous and so risky.”

“True indeed…”

“If I said I might have, I mean might have, succeeded in inventing one, would you like to try?”

“The time machine?”

“Yes.”

“I think I would want to try.”

“Alright. So let’s strike up a deal. If I succeed in creating this device, you will try it.”

“Why don't you try it yourself?”

“Because I need a female.”

“Why? Why me?”

“Is the deal on?”

Yui could see in her memories that 0611 hesitated and pondered for a few moments and then typed, “Yes.”

Then her mind swirled and it was back to the scene which she had seen repeatedly.

Her running away, and with someone chasing her from behind.
“0611! 0611!”

“What do you want from me?” Yui wanted to shout at the man behind. Up till now, she could only make out the outline of the being chasing her. It was definitely a male.

“Give me that time machine! You are not to try that device!”

“I promised him that I will do it! Back off!”

“It is not as simple as that! 0611!”

“I believe him!”

Yui could see that 0611 was tearing as she ran. The man was getting closer.

0611 pressed the red button on that sleek silver device.
Blinding white light consumed her.

Yui’s headaches finally stopped though she could feel the slight trembles at the very back of her head.

What was that?

Answers were revealed. She knew that she transported here via the time machine. However, more questions popped up. Who did she promise to time travel?

Who was the one who was chasing her and telling her things were not as simple?

How did she end up in this Yui’s body?

Lastly, why was she the chosen one?

Yui shook her head. Was there anyone to answer her? She wondered.

“Yui!” Yui recognized Aiba’s cheery voice calling out her name.

She felt a rush of relief immediately upon hearing his voice.

“Aiba!” She rushed out and hugged him.

Aiba was too shocked that he almost dropped the food he brought back. “Yu…Yui?”

He could then hear her sobs.

“The willful, noisy, loud, inconsiderate and stubborn Yui is sobbing?” Aiba teased, trying to lighten the atmosphere.
The Yui just cried louder.

“Hey hey hey, I was just commenting that it was unusual in the tactless but joking manner… Don’t take it to heart! See, I bought so much food back for you to try! I bet you have never tasted all these delicious awesome food before in your era! So come on!”Aiba continued to cheer Yui up.

True indeed, Yui looked up and broke the embrace. She stared at the bags of food Aiba brought back and started taking those bags to the kitchen.

“Food works wonders!” Aiba thought to herself and then frowned when he noticed Yui’s teary eyes and tired look. “What’s wrong with her?”

However, Aiba did not ask Yui anything as Yui bombarded him with questions about all the food he had brought back.

“At least she is happier now… but I wonder what was wrong with her. Was it those nightmares?”Aiba felt fear creep into him as well. Despite his head telling him that it would be better if this mad woman leaves, his heart cannot bear to let her go yet.

“She is just too interesting to me. Nothing more…” Aiba convinced himself. Aiba watched Yui eat. He needed to ask her questions.

“Yui, I have helped you hand in your resignation. I have decided that you can help me with my designing to pay off your rent and other fees. Is that alright?” Aiba inquired.
“Of course!” Yui nodded her head repeated as she also tried to take a bite of the fried chicken.

Aiba chuckled. That was so adorable!

Aiba cleared his throat and then asked, “Let’s go out for a walk after we finished eating, shall we?”

Yui’s eyes glinted with surprise and interest. She had been staying in the apartment after she had arrived. This Aiba was treating her so nicely. A warm feeling spurted through her heart but only momentarily. She had no idea what that feeling was but she felt heart rise up to her cheeks as well.

“Hmmmm…”She nodded her head in response again as she could not speak.

Aiba smiled.

They were strolling in a nearby park and Yui felt refreshed.
Then, all of a sudden, Aiba and Yui heard a group of young teenagers cheering loudly. They looked at them and saw that all of them were pointing to the sky. Colourful balloons had been released into the air.

It was a beautiful sight. Together, they watched as the balloons became smaller and smaller, only visible as little coloured dots and then gone…

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Aiba asked as he stared at the sky. Yui was silent.

She loved that image just then. She made a mental note that she would draw it out somehow later.

Those vibrant colours…

Those excited teenagers…

Her senses were provoked. In her era, everything was so digitized. People do not step out of their rooms to take walks or see those beautiful balloons in the sky. People do not interact in groups face to face. Everything could be done via the keyboards and screens. Technology was everything and anything.

Yui realized that she enjoyed all these close interactions and using her senses to her fullest in this time, much more than in her era. She closed her eyes and slightly opened her arms.

She could feel the wind blowing. She could hear some birds chirping and the barking of dogs. She could smell faint fragrance of the blooming flowers. She captured the image of the colourful balloons in the sky just then. She remembered the different tastes of the variety of the food that Aiba had brought back…

All these wonderful senses…

Unknown to her, two men were staring at her fervently. One was the man right beside her, Aiba Masaki.

Yui’s long hair was let down. As the wind blew, her hair moved as well.

The peaceful look on her face was beauty.

The way her lips curved upwards so naturally expressed her gratification and that she had finally loosened herself finally.

Aiba could not help it but he hurriedly took a snapshot of Yui with his camera.

Then, Aiba decided to make fun of Yui again. He nudged her.
Her lips instantly dipped down into a frown. Her eyebrows bent in irritation.

She finally opened her eyes and snapped, “What?”

“Nothing!” Aiba laughed, determined to annoy Yui even further.

“What?” Yui asked in a more demanding tone.

“NOTHING!” Aiba shouted and chortled.

Yui placed her arms on her waist. “YOU!!!!!!”

Aiba stuck out his tongue, “Catch me if you can!”

Then he started running in the grass field.

Yui ran after him.

Even though this catching game did remind Yui of her nightmares, she pushed those awful memories back. She truly thanked Aiba for his kind act towards her and at this point of time, she really wanted to catch Aiba and pin him down to show him that she was no pushover.

She laughed as she ran with bigger steps trying to catch Aiba.

"Maybe he is not as lousy in caretaking... But he is just plain lousy with words." Yui thought as she recalled when she was crying in his arms. The words Aiba used were not comforting but his actions spoke louder than his words.

Yui smiled to herself sweetly.

The second man was as still as a stone statue. He was in a particular position under a tree. His presence was neglected by the many people who were enjoying themselves in the park.

“0611… I finally found you.” His lips quivered as he spoke the forbidden name. 0611 was no longer existent in their time. Her number had been erased in everyone’s mind, except for his and the other man who disappeared without a trace as well.

The man, who was gone, was the one who pulled her into this experiment.

The man who was watching her was the one to bring her back to where she belonged to.

“0611. Time to receive the punishment for your defiance and to return the missing device.”

-

CHEERS~! :D

CRUNCH