Three

Roll The Dice

Seeing Yuri, Taeyeon only continues to soar like she’s floating on every step. Enough happiness to make Sunny wonder whether she’s gone insane or something had taken her over.

 

After the night spent with Yuri, more intimate than any Taeyeon could imagine, their relationship growing stronger.

 

From a cold night where they got caught in the rain, ending with a kiss, Taeyeon staring off down the street as Yuri drove off on her motorcycle and Taeyeon tried to calm her pounding heart.

 

And the next morning. Hardly able to walk, a headache strong enough to rattle her down, sick.


 

“God, Tae you sound awful.” Sunny groans over the phone, Taeyeon huddled in a mass of blankets, still shivering endlessly.

 

“Can you handle the shop on your own?”

 

“If you even think about coming in I’ll come over there myself and make sure you rest.” Sunny sighs. “I’ll be alright, make sure you actually rest.”

 

“When have I not rested when I’m sick?” Taeyeon grumbles, more than enough memories of powering through colds like it were a day off. “Okay fine you got me there. I will go back to sleep.. Eventually.”

 

“Tae you better get rest you..” Taeyeon hangs up, laughing to herself. Tossing her phone aside, falling on her side and tugging the mass of blankets as close as can be, aimlessly drifting from one channel on the tv to the next. Falling asleep to the sound of some drama.


 

Waking up with a jolt at the sound of her phone ringing.

 

“Hello?” Taeyeon answers, voice croaky, her headache returned tenfold, feeling only worse.

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay? You don’t sound so good.” she hears Yuri, bringing a slight smile to her lips, sniffling.

 

“I’m sick.” she groans, falling back on the couch.

 

“Oh Taeyeon, is it bad?” Yuri asks, Taeyeon still shivering hopelessly.

 

“It’s just a cold.”

 

“Okay, you hang tight. I’ll be right there.” Yuri answers urgently, Taeyeon sitting up.

 

“What? Uh.. why?”

 

“To take care of you silly. I don’t have a shoot today.”

 

Listening to Yuri, Taeyeon sits up, surprised at even the idea.

 

“You don’t have to do that Yuri, really it’s just a cold and I’m..” Taeyeon starts, interrupted by a fit of coughing

 

“I’ll be right over.” Yuri says, Taeyeon knowing she can hardly protest it.


 

When Yuri gets to her apartment, Taeyeon musters the strength to open the door, surprised by the sight of Yuri holding a pair of grocery bags and medicine.

 

“Hey, I thought you might be hungry. Also this is for your cough.” Yuri smiles, even through Taeyeon’s headache the sight of Yuri making her feel lighter.

 

Hearing her stomach rumble, Taeyeon looks up at Yuri. “I’m starving, thank you.”

 

“Here, you need to rest. I’ll do this okay?” Yuri steps inside, Taeyeon with no complaints to go back to her sofa and crash down in her bundle of blankets.



 

“Is this what you watch usually?” Yuri asks from the kitchen, Taeyeon seeing her point at the drama on her tv.

 

“Oh, no I.. it’s what’s on.”

 

“I was gonna say, I hadn’t taken you for the drama kind.” Yuri laughs to herself, Taeyeon turning around to see her smirk as she comes around from the kitchen, Taeyeon smelling a bowl of Juk as Yuri sits in front of her.

 

“Mmm, I think that’s the only thing I could eat right now.” Taeyeon smiles, surprised when Yuri takes a spoonful and offers to feed her.

 

When Taeyeon takes the spoonful Yuri grins.

 

“How about you sit back, relax and I’ll put something on that you like?” Yuri offers, Taeyeon nodding as she sits back, Yuri leaving a soft kiss against her forehead.

 

When Yuri looks through Taeyeon’s shelf of films though she stares lost.

 

“Are these in English?” Yuri asks, Taeyeon looking over.

 

“Oh they’re from America yeah,” Taeyeon thinks, realizing the problem. “Oh, right I see. Pick out.. Anything on the first shelf.”

 

“Do you speak English?” Yuri asks, eyeing the case of one of the films, hardly a clue what most of it says.

 

“That was something I learnt after too much time spent online.” Taeyeon answers in English, Yuri staring at her blankly. “I learnt when I was young. Lot of talking to Americans online.”

 

“Well.. that’s kinda hot.” Yuri grins, striding over to Taeyeon, stopping still as Taeyeon goes into another coughing fit.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“Nuh uh. No apologies for being sick.”


 

Taeyeon almost thinks to raise concern when Yuri puts in a dvd of star trek. Where she’s sure Yuri would rather be doing anything else. Not that Taeyeon wants to complain, when Yuri cuddles up against her.

 

“I’ll get you sick.” Taeyeon sighs, Yuri spooning against her on the sofa.

 

“I guess you’ll have to take care of me then.” Yuri grins, Taeyeon not caring much to argue it when Yuri is so comfortable a pillow.



 

Taeyeon hardly pays much attention to the tv, episodes of Star Trek she’s rewatched since she was twelve. More focused on Yuri, or how captivated by it she is.

 

“Do you like it?”

 

“Mhmm. It’s nice.” Yuri admits, Taeyeon smiling to see Yuri enjoy one of her nerdier pursuits. Seeing Taeyeon’s tired eyes though, Yuri wraps her arms tighter around Taeyeon’s waist. “You sleepy?”

 

Almost falling asleep in Yuri’s arm, Taeyeon nods already drifting off.

 

“Do you wanna move to the bed?”

 

“Get your mind out of the gutter.” Taeyeon grins, Yuri laughing.

 

“Here.” Yuri reaches for the remote, turning the tv off. Taeyeon turning around to snuggle into her.

 

“You know you don’t have to do this.” Taeyeon sighs, though she grips at Yuri tighter.

 

“And what person leaves their sick girlfriend to care for herself?” Yuri grins, dropping it instantly when Taeyeon looks up at her. “Unless, sorry I didn’t.. If that was too forward.” Yuri mumbles, Taeyeon bursting into a wide smile.

 

“No that’s.. Does that mean we’re..” Taeyeon blushes nervously, Yuri her hand along her cheek.

 

“If you want it’s.. Up to you.” Yuri shies away from looking at Taeyeon, a side Taeyeon’s never seen.

 

“I’d kiss my girlfriend.. But.” Taeyeon motions at herself, Yuri pulling her close by the waist.

 

“Just get some rest. You’ll feel better.” Yuri along her back, Taeyeon falling asleep in her arms almost instantly.





 

Waking up, Taeyeon slowly opens her eyes. The feeling of Yuri under her replaced by a pillow beneath her head.

 

“Yuri?” Taeyeon calls, hearing footsteps.

 

“Hey, I was getting dinner ready. How’re you feeling?” Yuri kneels in front of her, placing her hand on Taeyeon’s forehead. “You’re not as warm as you were.”

 

“Mmm, thank you.” Taeyeon rests her head on Yuri’s shoulder letting out a contented sigh. “I could get used to having my own personal nurse.” Taeyeon laughs, Yuri shoving her shoulder playfully. “Oww, I’m sick you know.”

 

“You’re lucky I like you.”

 

“You’re right. I am lucky.” Taeyeon grins, Yuri stealing a kiss from her. “You’ll get sick.”

 

“I can live with those risks.”


 

Spending the day in her apartment, Taeyeon experiences an ounce of Yuri’s more homely side. Her vibrant enthusiasm like medicine itself.

 

“My sister.. I came out to her.” she sighs, Yuri’s eyes shooting wide.

 

“Taeyeon that’s.. Is everything alright?” Yuri grips at Taeyeon’s hands, worried.

 

“She reacted well. I didn’t mean to tell her but it slipped out and.. She wants to meet you.”

 

Staring at Taeyeon, Yuri bursts into a smile, leaping to hug her close.

 

“Taeyeon! That’s great, that’s so..” Yuri struggles to contain herself, almost leaping up in joy. “Sorry. I get excited.”

 

“Is that a yes to meeting her?”

 

“Yes, definitely. I’d love to meet her.”

 

Gripping Yuri’s hands, Taeyeon sighs relieved, falling against her.

 

“You tired?” Yuri asks, Taeyeon nodding against her chest. “Let’s get you to bed.”

 

Running an arm under Taeyeon’s legs, Yuri surprises her when she lifts Taeyeon into a bridal carry, carrying her to the bed with ease.

 

“You’re strong.”

 

“You’re tiny.” Yuri giggles, Taeyeon groaning playfully.

 

“Good things come in small packages.”

 

Getting Taeyeon to bed, she’s more than happy to roll on her side and shut her eyes as Yuri pulls the covers over. Feeling an arm slide over her waist and Yuri press comfortably against her.

 

“Goodnight Taeyeon.” Yuri whispers, Taeyeon sighing softly.

 

“Goodnight.”











 

Managing an excuse to get Hayeon out of the house, Taeyeon feels a mix of excited and nervous when she picks up her sister. Taking her sister to meet Yuri, her girlfriend. Something that Taeyeon never thought she’d experience.

 

When her car door comes open though she shakes off her thoughts, Hayeon dropping into the passenger seat.

 

“Hey.” she says, mostly disinterested as she looks into the backseat. Dropping back disappointed.

 

“I told you she was gonna meet us there.”

 

“I don’t know what I expected.” Hayeon sighs, looking over at Taeyeon. “You got my hopes up.”

 

“You’ll meet her soon. Be patient.”

 

Driving off, Hayeon waits, tapping her feet anxiously as Taeyeon drives. When they get to the restaurant Taeyeon sees Yuri parked on the street, getting off her motorcycle.

 

“That’s her.” Taeyeon points, bursting into a wide smile when Hayeon leaps up excitedly.

 

“She rides a motorcycle?!”

 

“Mhmm. Now come on.”


 

When Yuri sees Taeyeon she immediately runs over, pulling Taeyeon into a hug though hesitating with a kiss. Taeyeon pushing forward leaving Yuri surprised at the public display.

 

“This is my sister Hayeon. Hayeon, this is my girlfriend Yuri.” Taeyeon introduces, making herself giddy introducing Yuri as her girlfriend.

 

“Hi Hayeon, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Yuri smiles, Hayeon simply staring on with her jaw dropped and eyes shot wide.

 

“I’ve.. I’ve seen you in too many fashion magazines to count.” Hayeon looks, almost star struck.

 

“Oh you’ve seen my work? Thank you, are you into fashion?” Yuri asks, Hayeon lighting up excitedly, Taeyeon glowing brightly when Yuri puts an arm around her back as they head inside, Yuri and Hayeon chatting excitedly.



 

Taeyeon hears almost a whole different language spoken between the two of them. Like what she imagines she must sound like to Yuri at times. Though she simply smiles, fingers entwined under the table, more than happy to see her sister so joyful to meet Yuri.

 

“Okay how did you two meet? Did Tae have to beg you to give her a chance or something?” Hayeon asks, Taeyeon glaring at Hayeon.

 

“Beg? Oh no, we met at the shop. I was getting a present for my nephew and behind the counter, was this cutie.” Yuri grins, Taeyeon blushing slightly.

 

“No, no you two are too cute. That’s not fair.”

 

“I asked her out though and I’m very glad I did.” Yuri her hand through Taeyeon’s hair. Hayeon shielding her eyes from the two, Taeyeon laughing.

 

“I have to get you home soon. I told mom I’d get you back by eight.”

 

“Noooo, can’t you tell them we’ll be late?”

 

“Oh no, you know how mom and dad get with the time.” Taeyeon groans, hardly wanting a chewing out.

 

“I’m sure we can hang out again Hayeon. I have a show actually soon, would you wanna come? Maybe see behind the scenes.” Yuri proposes, Hayeon looking like she’s ready to die happy.

 

“Yes! Oh my god yes yes yes!” Hayeon jumps slightly in her chair, Taeyeon surprised to ever see as much enthusiasm out of her.



 

Getting Hayeon to the car, Taeyeon runs over to Yuri as she gets to her motorcycle. Yuri reaching her hand out for Taeyeon. “You doing anything tonight?”

 

Taeyeon thinks to the endless amount of messages Jessica, Tiffany and Sunny have likely sent her.

 

“I’m all yours.”

 

“I’ll see you at my place then?”

 

“See you.” Taeyeon grins, giving Yuri a kiss. Waving to her as she speeds off.


 

Getting into her car, Hayeon is still staring out the back window, watching Yuri’s motorcycle off into the distance.

 

“You two got along.”

 

“How did you find someone as awesome as Yuri? Like.. she’s so cool.” Hayeon sighs, dropping into her seat.

 

“Is it so hard to believe I’m not completely hopeless?”

 

“Yes, this has shattered everything I’ve ever known. First you’re gay and then your girlfriend is the best. You’re gonna have to pinch me or something.”

 

“I’d rather not. So, you like her then?”

 

“She’s so cool and you two are.. Way, way too cheesy.. A little cute.” Hayeon sighs, staring out the window dreamily. “You better hold onto her tight. She’s cool.”

 

“I’ll do my best.”

 

“Good.. cause I wanna see that show she promised.” Hayeon laughs, Taeyeon grinning to herself as she drives to take Hayeon home.



 

Getting her home, Hayeon moves to get out, Taeyeon stopping her with a tap on the shoulder. \

 

“Hey, Hayeon.. Thank you. This meant a lot.” Taeyeon tries not to tear up , Hayeon seeing her fail to hold back as she tears up. “I never thought I’d tell you about any of this and..” she stops, left silent when Hayeon leaps to hug her.

 

“I’ve never really seen you happy. Seeing you with Yuri I see why you weren’t whenever I saw you.” Hayeon says, starting to tear up herself. “I’m sorry you had to hide for so long.”

 

“You’re gonna make me cry my heart out here with that.” Taeyeon hugs her, feeling like her heart’s ready to burst. “Alright, you should get home before mom and dad get on my back.” Taeyeon gives her one last pull, Hayeon getting out.

 

“You two are really cute. She’s good for you.” Hayeon smiles, giving one last wave before she heads off down the driveway to the house. Taeyeon falling back in her seat, wiping her tears away. Hayeon giving her more hope than she can ever remember having.








 

Laying in bed with Yuri, Taeyeon struggles to sleep. One overwhelming thought pounding in her mind.

 

Yuri’s head rested on her chest, Taeyeon running her hand through Yuri’s hair. Yuri as peaceful as can be, that almost calms Taeyeon though she still feels the uneasy stress that runs through her.

 

“Taeyeon? You having trouble sleeping?” Yuri mumbles, tiredly looking up at Taeyeon.

 

“It’s nothing, I didn’t mean to wake you.” Taeyeon apologizes. Yuri sitting up, her eyes barely open.

 

“Is it something with your sister?” Yuri asks, relieved at least to see Taeyeon nod negatively.

 

Seeing Yuri in the light glow of the moonlight Taeyeon her hands along Yuri’s cheeks, feeling her heart pound at the slightest smile Yuri gives her.

 

“Did you ever tell your parents?” Taeyeon asks though Yuri sighs, nodding and falling into Taeyeon.

 

“They didn’t like it. They called it a phase and.. When they learnt I had a girlfriend my father said he never wanted to see me again.” Yuri sniffles, Taeyeon taking hold of Yuri’s hands. “He still doesn’t really talk to me, but I knew.”

 

“Knew?”

 

“Whatever they said.. I didn’t want to hide anymore, whatever they said I had to keep telling myself I wouldn’t be afraid.”

 

“And are you? Not afraid.” Taeyeon feels herself shake, Yuri staring her hard in the eyes.

 

“Sometimes. When I’m with you.” the look in Yuri’s eyes shakes Taeyeon to her soul, something that speaks a connection so intimate. “You remind me why I try not to be scared, cause I want to show you to the world, I never want to be afraid of that.”

 

“What if I’m scared?”

 

“Then I’ll wait.” Yuri says without an ounce of hesitation gripping Taeyeon’s hands like it’s a promise she’d bet her life on.

 

“If I told them?”

 

“Then I’d be brave with you.”







 

It’s not soon after. Where they spend months together growing their love. Till Taeyeon feels ready.


 

When she introduces Yuri to Jessica and Tiffany. Yuri attempting to join in with her hobbies. For once where Jessica and Tiffany has to ask them to be less sappy like Taeyeon and Sunny had told them for years.

 

Where Yuri gives Taeyeon and her sister a connection far closer than they’ve ever had and where Yuri seemingly spoils Hayeon with clothes from her work and a glimpse of the something she loves so dearly.


 

The first time they say ‘I love you’ and Taeyeon felt she’d never be happier.

 

And telling her parents. Gripping Yuri’s hand so hard it hurts, shaking nervously though saying clearly how totally in love she is.

 

For all the hate and fury she expects, they simply hug her. That whatever brings Taeyeon so much happiness they can’t imagine to protest.

 

The chance Taeyeon took to let her heart go free, that Yuri took by only a glance knowing she’d have to see her again.


 

Taking a shot at happiness. Rolling the dice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

This is the end for Roll The Dice and Taeri's journey, but I hope they carry on in all your thoughts.

 

Starting this fic four years ago, I knew it held a very personal place in my heart and finishing it now, even in a very different form, I'm so happy to have done it. Roll The Dice will always hold a place in my heart and I'm so happy to have been able to share it with you all. 

 

While it's the end for Taeri here, it won't be the end of Taeri in my writing and I'd like to thank all of you for reading, I hope you'll support me in my future works. 

 

I hope you've all enjoyed this, thank you for reading Roll The Dice.