Chapter 4: Similar Insecurities

A Decade of You

Present Time

I was still in enjoying my sleep when my phone rang, cursing and groaning while trying to open my eyes to retrieve my phone underneath my pillow. Still half asleep when I got a hold of my phone not even looking who's bothering my well deserved slumber.

Hello? I answered my phone with much annoyance

Hello to you to? a little bit excited and happy, I almost cursed at out loud since I'm not feeling too happy right now. I recognized who the caller is without even looking at my phone.

Are you still asleep? It's past lunch time you lazy bum..what have you been doing with your not so productive life?

Duh? Yeah I'm sleeptalking?! I was asleep before you interrupted my happy life! Why are you calling? And I have a productive life, sleeping productively, thank you very much!

I just want to meet up for dinner, I don't have anything to do later since I'm almost done with my work.

Huh? Why do you have to pester me when yo have your "driver"?

Oh come on! I don't even.... I just want her to pick me up and drive me home and eat me with when you're all not available, along with all other stuff.

I snorted, when have I not been available? it's just your crazy and hectic schedule thats in the way.

Fine, fine.. so are you up for later?

Sure, just tell me where and what time exactly.

Okay, I'll text you when I'm about to go there.

After we hung up, i stared at the ceiling thinking, wondering why she has to ask me for dinner, does she have another news? about what? about who? But then again, I thought, why not..we're friends and friends invite other friends for dinner without any reason. I have got to stop myself from assuming and thinking too much.

Spending my time productively by watching TV while surfing the net came to an end when it's about 8:30pm and it's time to head for my much anticipated dinner. She sent a text message late in the afternoon asking if we can move the dinner to a late dinner as some urgent matter came up and would need her precious and undivided attention and I said okay since i have nothing better to do anyway except wait.  

I was about to head out of apartment door when I thought of asking Sunny and Jessica if they would also be at the dinner. Sunny and Jessica both replied almost at the same time that they have an important meeting tomorrow morning and would need their beauty sleep to face their clients and bosses the next day.

I sent a message to the both of them saying it was okay and also didn't forgot to say my goodluck. The restaurant was just minutes from where my place is so I was taking my time walking. Jessica and Sunny won't be there so it would only be the two of us, Tiffany and I, just the two of use eating and talking. It seemed like forever since we last did that and I suddenly felt nervous. What are going to talk about, I mean I'm unemployed - I dont have anythng to rant about, I'm not dating anyone so I can't really share anything about that department...so the only thing left to talk about is Tiffany and her "driver". I can feel a headache coming and my insides are starting to twist but i really don't have a choice, I would fake my interest in this "driver" of hers instead of talking about our past.

I was mindlessly walking when I felt my phone vibrate, it's from Tiffany. She got there before I did.

Hey I'm here, wat do you want to eat so I can order for you, I know you don't like waiting for your food and I don't want you grumpy and starving later.

I sent her my preferred dish for the night with a smile.

I was still smiling, she was always the thoughful one, the sweet one, the never forget the monthsaries,anniversaries, always attentive to my needs kind of girlfriend.I remembered when were planning for a vacation somewhere and it's taking so long for her to book the hotel, Sunny impatiently asked her why it's taking her so long and she answered, I have to get a hotel which offers buffet for breakfast, Sunny commented that it should be the last thing she should think of since it's peak season and we need to hurry with our hotel booking first and worry about food later. She answered innocently that we need to have an included buffet breakfast coz she didn't want me to end up grouchy and grumpy during our day tour. Taeyeon needs her coffe and breakfast, you know she really doesn't like walking around. I read that from an email trail since I was busy and wasn't able to join their conversation earlier that day.

 

That memory still warms me up until today and I was smiling reminiscing our past until I finally reached the restaurant. I was walking towards her,  her head down reading something from her phone and my smile long gone thinking that she was texting her "driver". I took my seat in front of her with a nod as if to say Hi. She raised her head and smiled as a greeting and turned her head back to her phone still texting, as she sat there I kept thinking how her face didn't change, still pretty, still the most beautiful person I've ever met inside and out, her smiles that always reaches her ears genuinely and sincerely.

 

But then again, everything has changed. Sigh, all I can do was sigh.

So why have you summoned me, my highness?

Stop it, you know you're not that polite and I'm not that tall. The food arrived with a satisfying smile on my face. She really know me, she added other food she knows I like eating whenever we went out. Still the thoughful Miyoung.

We digged in as soon as the plate hit the table and started talking like the bestfriends we are.

You know, all of our friends are still asking about you and your driver. Asking if it's serious.

How many times do I have to tell them that it's not, it's just for convenience.

I don't know, you tell them they keep on bugging me about this and of course I didn't tell them anything coz I don't know anything.

There's nothing to tell, it's just for convenience okay and then some....anyway, what's with you? Are you dating anyone? I mean how long are you gonna keep this vacation of yours?

Nope, I'm not dating anyone I haven't found anyone whose interesting enough to disrupt my productive happy life.

But...don't you miss it? Being in a relationship and all and you know, don't you miss the other stuff too?

I don't miss it because the right person is not with me yet...because relationship is only good when you actually love the person you're with...I don't miss the the other things too because I only find intimacy great when I'm doing it with the person I love..and ...If that person is mine exclusively....

I don't really agree to that but I guess you're right...but in order for you to be in a relationship.. you have to have a stable job, a career..a car...not being a lazy bum..I mean we're not getting any younger and girls I mean women like partners to have a direction...

So what you're saying is a need to have a direction to get a partner? I said while chuckling with sarcasm..

Well yes! Would you like to date someone who only sleeps and watches TV all day? You've been on hiatus for almost 6 months now it's time for you to find a job, find a girlfriend and finally have a life.

I sat there, staring at her while she talk and talk about my life as if she's carrying all the burden of me being unemployed. I shouldn't be offended since she is my bestfriend and she is just concerned but somehow my pride is telling me that she has no right to say those things so casually especially that she is my ex-girlfriend. Is that one of of the reasons why broke up, me having no direction, no life, what about feelings, why can't she love me without those things. I was ranting and debating inside my head if I should defend myself but I abruptly stopped when I noticed that she has stopped nagging and looked behind me.

I turned around and what-do-you-know her driver is here, she walks up to us and Tiffany stood up to greet her.

Hey, I didn't know you're able to join us I thought you would just pick me up after..

I was in the area and I thought to pass by and meet your friend.

Oh Okay, Tiffany said clearly surprised with her sudden appearance. Tiffany still standing and me still rooted on my seat glanced up to them.

Geum-Seok this is Taeyeon, Taeyeon this is Geum-Seok.

Hi, I said smiling and waving my hand but still seated. The driver finally has a name, Geum-Seok and is apparently 5 years older than us..what a cradle snatcher.. although we're not that young anymore, still she's a cradle snatcher. She's a Director of some multinational company, blah blah blah..not really interested.

She said Hi and offer her hand for a handshake, I pretended not to see her hand and turned my face on the table get one stick of cigarette and the lighter on my other hand.

Okay, so I'll go ahead I was just passing by anyway, I have to buy something else first. So what time should I pick you up? about 11pm? said the "driver" and cradle "snatcher"

Tiffany looked at me silently asking if it's okay with me and I answered silently with a smile.

Wow that was awkward, is what I wanted to say..instead I said...Wow that was fun..so she's your driver. with sarcasm of course

Geum-Seok indeed didn't look half as goodlooking as me, I'm not arrogant - it's a fact and I've seen it with my own eyes, but she's a Director of a multinational company, accomplished and has power and authority and other stuff i don't really need to know..

How did she knew that we're here? I accusingly asked Tiffany.

I told her that I was meeting you up for dinner.

Does she know about us? I mean that we used to be in a relationship for a long time.

Yes, I told her. Why do you think she's here? Of course she's insecure that I'm having dinner with my ex.

I was doing a victory dance, with a skip, and a hop and a jump when she said her driver was insecure, the Director of a multinational company, accomplished and has power and authority is insecure of a lazy bum like me. But then again, all the things she has right now are the things I don't have, the things I wish I could have. I suddenly stopped and thought that we are the same, I was insecure too..just a little bit. And I felt more pity for myself when I realised she's insecure of our past, something finished, done and gone while I'm here having nothing of hers in the present.