part I - waiting for you

to test your patience
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Don't."

"What?"

"Don't do that."

He shot his best friend a questioning glance, although he already knew what Sehun meant. Admitting that was like confessing he had a problem though. He didn’t and he refused to think about the cause for his little anxiety in that way.

"Waiting. You should just forget him, you know?"

He was used to hear Sehun telling him to stop waiting. He was used to hear Sehun complaining he was too patient and that people were not supposed to wait for everything until the end. What he wasn't used to though, was the harshness in his voice and the blunt demand. It was new to him, but by now, Sehun didn’t even bother to cover his message in nice words. Luhan wasn't the only one who was left waiting. Sehun was waiting with him, and Luhan appreciated it, although he’d never tell him. There was no need to, since they knew each other too well already.

"Thanks for worrying about me. You don't have to." He smiled and Sehun just sighed.

"Not for that, hyung, not for that."

He looked outside again, watching passersby, and wondered, if he would come back today. He had promised to come back, he just didn't say when exactly, like always.

 

~~~

 

The first time he met Jongin it was a cold winter day. Neatly dressed in black trousers and a white button down shirt, his work uniform, Luhan was lightly freezing while watching the snow fall. Maybe it was because of the sight, rather than the actual temperature in the café. Heavy flocks were covering the streets with a thick layer of white, the snow dancing in the dark night sky. He was thankful for the nice, relaxing evening. In the morning, he had been too busy with loads of customers rushing in and out. Most of them pressed him to hurry up with their orders and even with the help of the other two co-workers, it had been tiring and felt like too much work to handle.

Jongin was one of the customers as well, except for the fact that he wasn't on his way to work in the early morning. It was nearing closing time, when the black haired boy entered the café. Luhan had greeted him with a polite bow and a smile, standard for every customer. Jongin didn't notice. And even if he did, he wasn't responding at least. He just stepped up to the counter, and Luhan, being shorter than the other male, was slightly taken aback by the dark look in his eyes and the full, plump lips that were pressed to a firm line.

"Coffee. Black. And hurry. I don’t have that much time."

Luhan nodded, his smile never fading. Customer service was first priority here and the first thing he learned when he started this part-time job. Now he was working full-time here, enjoying his being as barista. He turned around, quickly proceeding to brew coffee. His expert hands fell in the usual routine and he was too immersed in his work to notice the examining look he received. He was still smiling when handed over the cup of coffee, the other male's fingers lightly brushing his. He didn't feel anything at that time. His face only turned to a darker shade of pink when Jongin smirked and said goodbye.

"You're cute, you know?"

And Luhan didn’t reply, silently wondering if he was mistaken for a girl. Again.

 

~~~

 

The second time they met was several days later. Luhan had forgotten the little incident, but as soon as the male stepped in, he could identify the customer. He had never seen anyone so mysteriously charismatic before. It was a dangerous kind of charisma and Luhan was slightly nervous. It wasn't the intense gaze he was receiving that made him feel insecure though. It was more the smirk that seemed to appear as soon as the tanned man spotted him, the tongue that moisted his lips and finally, the lip bite. Luhan gulped, feeling irritated by those details. Slowly the man approached the counter and Luhan noted with admiration how elegant his every movement were. Full of grace, like a dancer’s.

"Coffee. Black."

He seemed to have some more free time that day, but Luhan still hurried, although the café was pretty empty. He was aware of Jongin's taxing eyes and it made him feel weak. At the same time he was upset at his own lack of courage. It hurt his man pride to be afraid of a stranger who hadn't even laid hands on him yet. By the glint in those eyes, the little hint of what looked to him like desire, he was sure it wouldn’t take long until he would be cornered and it was exactly that situation that would make him the most uncomfortable. He had experienced it before.

"Here you are. 2400 Won please."

Jongin gave him a smile and opened his wallet. Luhan stared at those long, slender fingers. "Oh I forgot. Put your phone number on my order list as well.”

It must be a joke, Luhan thought. The smirk, accompanying those words, gave him goose bumps, but it didn’t feel entirely bad. He blushed, again showing his weakness, but he didn’t comply with the request. “I’m sorry. That’s not an offered service here,” he managed to say with a calm voice and an apologizing smile, his cheeks still tinted in a faint rosy shade.

The other raised his eyebrows. “Oh, really? That’s a pity. What if I offered more money?”

It was a challenge, it seemed. He might have been attracted to the stranger at that time, but he was not someone who changed his mind so easily. He didn’t waver and stood his ground. Plus, at that point he was still convinced that he felt no attraction towards males. Not even to someone as suave as this dark tanned guy who was overflowing with confidence and charisma, something Luhan seemed to  lack. He shook his head and handed over the plastic cup. Jongin’s fingers brushed against his again, this time lingering on them for longer than necessary and Luhan felt a light tingle.

 

~~~

 

Jongin kept coming back. Sometimes, he would visit him several times a week, sometimes even two or three times on the same day. Then there were times he didn’t show up for more than one week.

Each time they met, Jongin would flirt with him. And no matter how often Luhan told himself that he got used to those cheeky comments already, the other proved him wrong and made his cheeks flush with a pink color that contrasted his flawless, white skin.

“You’re pretty,” he would say and Luhan just shrugged, not bothering to glare at him anymore.

 

~~~

 

Slowly, Luhan found himself falling for that man, although the only personal information they had exchanged, were their names. It was only on their nth encounter that Jongin had finally introduced himself.

“Luhan. Nice name.”

He looked at the other in surprise. Those black eyes had been scanning his nametag, but he didn’t notice. He had been too busy running around and serving different customers, while Jongin sat down at a table, observing everything. Occasionally, he would take a sip of his coffee. Luhan wondered why he wasn’t in a rush like usual, why he was sitting there instead of taking a coffee to go. He d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter