Bad News

More Than a Dream/꿈보다

It was the very last term of school.

 

The boys were resettling into their dorms, just after they all greeted each other again and gave one another the teddies.

"Thank you Changsub!" said Hyunsik, "This is great!"

"Yeah, thanks!" said Sungjae.

The other three thanked him.

 

Changsub was just going on his laptop when he began to scream hysterically.

"What's wrong?" asked Minhyuk, concerned.

But Changsub only cried continuously.

"What is it? Just tell me," said Minhyuk.

Changsub looked up, his face swollen red from crying.

"I got rejected from Seoul National," sobbed Changsub, "So I WON'T BE GOING!!!"

Changsub howled as he sunk his face into his arms.

"Come on, don't cry, you got three universities to go,"

"Yes, but this one was what I needed to go to! If my parents find out that I'm not going I'm doomed,"

Minhyuk gaped.

"It's okay, just tell them that you did your best and that you are already working very hard. Besides, you have pulled high grades!"

Changsub hugged Minhyuk as they sat on the bed, together as a couple.

 

The students gathered in the tutor room, his hands full of reports.

"Good morning class,"

"Good morning,"

"Here are your mock exam results. Looking at them, some of you did well, and some of your results were a bit disappointing. You may use this time to look at the results and think about any targets for improvement when you sit the actual exams,"

The tutor walked around the classroom and handed the students every report.

As soon as Hyunsik received his, he stared in horror.

Korean A HL: 5

 

Hyunsik shows a great interest in the novels studied and is gradually improving in terms of his vocabulary. He enjoys classroom discussions and has produced pleasing results, and his exam was done pretty well. However I would ask Hyunsik to think carefully about his word choice. He should also consider making his essays more concise as he tends to go off topic a little.

 

 

English B SL: 5

 

Hyunsik demonstrates a compotent performance in English and generally participates in classroom discussions. He has an adequate amount of English vocabulary and is improving a lot in terms of his grammar and verb conjugations. I would however advise Hyunsik to practice Paper 1 strategies as he tends to struggle with the reading comprehension. I would also advise him to try reading English books as well as watch English-speaking movies/shows to increase his speaking skills.

 

 

Chinese B SL: 5

 

Hyunsik shows a compotent performance in Chinese. He is hard-working and inquistive to find out for solutions, and often asks for help when needed. He shows a high vocabulary of Chinese and writes Chinese beautifully. I would however encourage him to practice Paper 1 strategies as he struggles with the reading comprehension, and I think he should try reading some Chinese books as well as review the vocabulary again and again to allow him to get used to the material.

 

Psychology SL: 6

 

Hyunsik is a charming, bubbly student and shows love for Psychology. He regularly participates in classroom discussions and continues to score high marks on essays, and his mock exam results were alike his other essay scores a level 6. I hope he continues to maintain his interest in psychology by going outside the box, such as watching EBS documentaries or reading psychology magazines. Perhaps he should also consider structure of answers to prevent them looking note-like.

 

Mathematics HL: 4

 

Hyunsik is generally good in mathematics, and often asks for help when needed. However on exams and IAs he struggles to achieve the highest standards out of them. This was evident on the mock exam which he obtained a 52% resulting in a level 4 which was a bit disappointing. I would therefore encourage him to continue to practice exam questions to get him used to the material, and not by rote memory off the textbook. He should also read sample IAs and model answers to help him achieve the level 6 he desires.

 

Biology HL: 4

 

Hyunsik shows general interest in biology and is proactive to finding solutions for himself, such as asking for help when needed. However on exams he struggles to achieve the highest standard, therefore I would strongly recommend that he try past paper questions, particularly for Paper 3, so that he can achieve the level 6 that he wishes.

 

Extended Essay: B

 

Hyunsik has a great level of vocabulary and is making great use of novels to support his research, and I am very pleased with the progress and effort he put in.

 

 

TOK: A

 

Hyunsik has produced an excellent presentation and essay and has showed a great deal of confidence throughout the course, and I am very proud of him.

 

 

Bonus points: 3

Total number of points: 32 out of 45 (29 out of 42 if bonus points not included)

Predicted points: 36 out of 45 (33 out of 42 if bonus points not included)

 

"What did you get?" asked Sungjae.

"32." said Hyunsik sadly.

"Cheer up buddy," said Sungjae, "You at least beat me by 4 points,"

 

Ilhoon was walking out with 24 points on his report, but seemed so calm and chill. It's just mock exams, he thought. They can't jeopardise our university applications.

Eunkwang was nonetheless satisfied with a 38, whilst Minhyuk had a 40, Peniel had a 33, and Changsub had 44 points, but he was still disappointed.