The Date

Occupational Hazards

                Daehyun bit his lip as he waited outside of Youngjae’s dressing room, checking his watch again.  The younger was late, which wasn’t a rarity by any means, but today Daehyun was desperate to talk to him and it made each extra second feel like an hour.

                What if he skips today?  What if he’s avoiding me? Daehyun wondered to himself, almost in a panic, but soon the brunette actor had rounded the corner and alleviated all of his fears.    

                “Youngjae!”

                “…Daehyun.”  Youngjae’s greeting was much icier than his manager’s as he tried to move past him to escape into his dressing room.  Daehyun was quick to cut him off, however, and held out his hands in a plea for the younger to wait.

                “We need to talk.”  Daehyun bit his lip again as he observed the younger’s angry face.  He had expected Youngjae to be mad, but his absolutely livid expression was worrisome.  What if he wouldn’t listen to him?

                “Oh, so NOW we need to talk?  It didn’t matter yesterday when I was desperate for help and for someone to listen and I said that I needed to talk.  No, you couldn’t be bothered then.  But now that you’ve realized what an you’ve made of yourself, I should just drop everything so that I can listen to you.  Is that right?”

                The barbed words struck deep, but Daehyun knew that he deserved them.  Youngjae made to move past him again, but Daehyun caught him by the shoulders and held him in place.  His regretful eyes met Youngjae’s angry ones and he tried to show the other how truly, desperately apologetic he was.

                “Please.  I know I don’t deserve it but PLEASE, just let me apologize.”  Daehyun waited for Youngjae’s rejection, for Youngjae to pull away for him, slug him, beat him with a baseball bat, anything, but it didn’t come.  The actor still looked on the verge of murder, but he stayed in place without a fight and Daehyun took this as the closest concession that he was going to get.

                “I saw your interview yesterday and it really made me realize what an I’ve been.  I should have listened to you.  I should have trusted you.  But the just the thought alone of you and Jaebeom together made me so sick and angry that every rational thought was completely gone.  I just… I couldn’t take it to see you with someone else.  Especially someone like him.”

                The anger from Youngjae’s eyes had softened, but they were replaced with something that cut Daehyun even more.  Hurt.

                “So how do you think I’ve been feeling?” Youngjae’s voice caught in his throat when he finally spoke up.  “I made love to you, I confessed to you, I did my best to win you over.  Hell, you told me yourself that you were falling for me and then out of nowhere some snot nosed brat appears and I’ve instantly been replaced.  And then I have to see you two everywhere, hanging off of one another. You even had the audacity to bring him to one of my filmings and let him take my place.  Did you not think that would hurt?” 

                “I know… I know it was wrong.  I wasn’t thinking clearly.  I’m just… you have to understand what Junhong was to me, what his coming back meant.  It’s been hard for me to sort through my different feelings for the both of you.”  Youngjae rolled his eyes in response and tried again to push past and Daehyun realized that he had not worded that in the best way.  “But… I’m tired of going back and forth, I’m tired of playing games,” he continued as he caught Youngjae’s shoulders once more.  “I want to make it up to you.  I’m serious.  What can I do to make all of this right to you?”

                “You mean other than drop kicking that punk out of here?” Youngjae spat.

                “Youngjae…”

                The younger took the hint and furrowed his eyebrows in thought.  Finally, he came up with his answer.  “A date.”

                “A what?” Daehyun asked, surprised by Youngjae’s response.

                “We’ve screwed each other and we’ve never even bit on a date.  That’s a bit messed up, don’t you think?” Youngjae explained.  “So today… I want you to sit and think about your feelings.  Really think about them.  You need to, once and for all, decide who you want to be with, because I’m not going to wait around for you anymore after this.  And if you’re serious about me then I want you to take me on a real date tonight, like a proper couple.  So, think about it and I’ll be waiting at 8 tonight at The Lounge.  But I’m not going to wait for you forever, Daehyun.  You have tonight.”

                Daehyun nodded in understanding.  He too knew that he really needed to have a last sit down with his feelings before he committed and before he dragged either of the boys along any farther, but now, more than anything, he just wanted to make this right.  “Thank you,” he whispered, leaning in to give Youngjae a light kiss on the cheek before leaving for his own office to think.

                Youngjae watched him go, his heart beating a million miles an hour.  So this was finally all going to be settled tonight… he was excited, but nervous.  What if Daehyun didn’t show?  What if he chose Junhong instead?  But an even bigger part of him was giddy and flying high.  As of tonight, he might finally have his chance to be with Jung Daehyun.  All of this nonsense would be over and they could finally be together.

                “Youngjae?” a soft voice broke through his concentration and he turned to see Hyosung standing there, cautiously calling him.

                “Yes?”

                “This was left at the front desk for you this morning,” she proffered as she handed him the white envelope in her hands.  Youngjae thanked her and took the letter before heading into his dressing room without another word, his thoughts a million miles away.

                Youngjae entered the dressing room and absentmindedly opened the envelope, not paying any attention to the front until he saw the contents.  It was them again, he realized when he saw the omonious paper.

                You’re not safe with all of these bastards out to take advantage of you.  But don’t worry, I’ll keep you safe.  Just wait for me.

                Youngjae scoffed.  Whoever this person was, they were a creep and he was getting tired of it.  He tossed the letter hapahazardly on his desk without giving it a second thought.  Nothing had come of it so far and it was stupid of him to worry.  Instead he needed to start thinking about the clothes that he wanted to wear tonight.

 

                Daehyun adjusted his tie as he looked at his reflection in the mirror.  He was dressed in a new and sharply fitted suit.  He wanted to show Youngjae that he was serious- serious about him and serious about them.  He had really messed up and he knew it and it was time to make it all right.  He knew that he would always care for Junhong, but these past few weeks made him realize that he would always care for him as a brother, as a mentor.  As much as it was going to hurt Junhong, it just wasn’t meant to be for the two of them.

                He was spritzing on his cologne quickly, realizing that his meticulous dressing was making him run the risk of being late, when his doorbell rang.  “Who in the world?” No one ever came to his house.  He put away the bottle and rushed to the answer the door.  “Hello?”

                “Hyung!” Junhong pushed his way in the door, seemingly frantic.

                “Junhong, what is it? I don’t really have time right now…” Daehyun gave his clock another side glance.

                “It’s important, hyung.  Jaebeom hyung was fired.”  Daehyun raised his eyebrows.  It shouldn’t have been completely unexpected considering the absolute media storm that had ensued against him after Youngjae’s interview, but it was still amusing to hear none-the-less.

                “Thanks for letting me know, but I really have to go right now.”  Daehyun tried to usher the boy out the door but he refused to budge.

                “That’s not the important part.  The important part is that Matoki wants you back.  They want you to come be our manager again, hyung.”  Daehyun gaped at Junhong, surprised and the younger grabbed onto the elder’s shoulders, pulling him closer.  “You can come back.  We can all finally be together again.  You and me and Jongup.  And you and me, hyung.   We can be together without any complications, any interferences.  Don’t you want that?  What do you say?  Leave here and come back and be with us… with me…”

 

                Youngjae checked his watch for the millionth time, it felt like.  In his excitement he had gotten here over half an hour early, making his now thirty minute wait outside of the restaurant seem even longer.  The prideful part of him was telling himself just to go home, that if Daehyun was really serious then he would have been here early too.  Or at least on time.  But then the other part, the part desperate for this to work between the two of them, was telling him to wait as long as it took.  Maybe something had just come up and Daehyun would be here any second?

                “Youngjae?”

                Youngjae turned his attention to the woman’s voice calling him and saw Hyosung standing there, also looking brilliantly dressed.  “What are you doing here?” she asked him.

                “I…uh… Daehyun’s supposed to meet me,” Youngjae confessed, but Hyosung just furrowed her eyebrows in response.

                “Daehyun?  But I saw him and Junhong right before I left the office.  I heard them saying something about going out to celebrate….”

                Youngjae’s stomach plummeted.  So Daehyun had made his decision… and it hadn’t been him.  He had picked Junhong instead.  He should have known better than to trust that bastard.  He should have known better than to let himself be so vulnerable.  He tried to keep the tears from welling, to keep his lip and hands from shaking, but he was failing miserably.

                “Hey there, don’t cry,” Hyosung was quickly by his side, trying to soothe him.  “It looks like I got stood up too.  Why don’t we go inside and have a drink at the bar?”

 

                “What do you say, hyung?” Junhong’s eyes desperately searched for Daehyun’s, hoping to see the same excitement in them, but it wasn’t there.

                “I’m sorry, Junhong, but I can’t.”  Daehyun pried the younger’s hands off of his shoulders.  “That’s not where I belong anymore.   I need to stay here…with Youngjae…”

                “W-what does that mean?  Are you picking him?  Are you leaving me?”  Junhong’s voice cracked and Daehyun felt the guilt coursing through him,

                “I’m so sorry, Junhong.  But you need to understand.  You and I…we’re just not meant to be.”

                “NO!” Junhong screamed, tugging at his hair as tears broke from his eyes.  “I’m not letting you leave me again!  I won’t!”

                “You need to calm down,” Daehyun said, putting a hand on the younger’s back to comfort him, but Junhong jerked away.

                “I told you, I can’t live without you.  I can’t handle it when you’re gone.  I won’t go through it, not again.”

                “Junhong, I-“

                “I’ll kill myself, hyung.”  Daehyun’s eyes widened as he looked at the serious face of the determined boy in front of him.  “I can’t stand being away from you and I can’t live seeing you with someone else.  I’m serious, I’ll do it.  If you walk out of here and go to him, I’ll kill myself.”

                Daehyun froze.  He had never seen the boy look so serious before.  With that expression and that even tone of voice, Daehyun was terrified that he’d go through with it.  He checked the clock.  He was already thirty minutes late, but he couldn’t leave now, not when Junhong was like this… surely Youngjae would understand…”

 

                “Here you go, sir,” the bartender slid the drink across the counter to Youngjae who knocked it back.

                “You should really slow down… that’s your third one already…” Hyosung advised, looking at the boy next to her with concern.

                “I have to pee,” Youngjae announced gruffly, standing up and unsteadily making his way to the bathroom.  He pulled out his phone and checked it again.  Nothing.  No missed calls and no new messages.  It was now over an hour and no sign or word of Daehyun… He hadn’t wanted to believe it, but Hyosung must have been right.  He splashed some water over his face, trying to calm himself down and keep his composure.  He couldn’t afford to lose it in front of a bunch of people.

                Once he felt that he had himself under control once more, Youngjae left the bathroom and sidled back to the bar.  Hyosung was still nursing her drink, looking thoughtfully ahead of her.  “Here, I got you this.  A little less powerful,” she said as she slid a dark drink over to him.  Youngjae thanked her and put it to his mouth.  It was bitter, but he didn’t care.  He just wanted to not think anymore, to not feel.

               

                Daehyun side eyed his phone on the coffee table in front of him.  He desperately wanted to call Youngjae, to explain why he was late, but the sobbing boy next to him wouldn’t let him.  When Daehyun had slipped away to secretly call Jongup, Junhong had lost it and screamed at him, accusing him of calling his “” and grabbed a knife, threatening to stab himself.

                Luckily Daehyun had managed to pry it away from him without any harm to either of them, but it wasn’t a risk that he was willing to take again.  Surely Youngjae would understand?  Now he just needed Jongup to get here.  What was taking that kid so long?

 

                “What kind of liquor was in that thing?” Youngjae asked as his vision started to blur and his head spun.  He felt nauseous and he couldn’t make himself concentrate on anything for too long.

                “Are you not feeling well? It must not have mixed right with the other drinks you were drinking.  We should call it a night, let me take you home.”

                Youngjae stood up from his stool, staggering and almost falling over as soon as he was upright.  Hyosung quickly leapt up from her seat and caught him.  “Don’t worry, I’ve got you.  I won’t let anything happen to you.  I’ll protect you.”

 

                Daehyun leapt up from the couch when the doorbell rang.  “Who is that?” Junhong asked incredulously.  Daehyun opened the door to reveal the shorter, muscled other half of the 360 duo.  “Jongup! What are you doing here?”

                “Daehyun hyung called me and told me about what happened,” Jongup made a beeline for the couch, and sat next to Junhong, taking the younger’s hands in his.  “Why would you say something like that?  Do you know what that would do to me if I lost you?”

                “It just hurts so much,” Junhong broke down into sobs again and Jongup pulled him close, allowing him to rest his forehead on his shoulder.  He rubbed the younger’s back, trying to soothe him.

                “I know, I know it does.”

                “Please take care of him,” Daehyun begged the eldest of the duo.  “I have to go.”

                “Leave it to me, Hyung.”  Jongup flashed him a reassuring smile and Daehyun bolted out the door.

               

                “Come on, please answer,” Daehyun pleaded as he hit redial for the millionth time.  Yet again it rang before heading to Youngjae’s voicemail.  He entered the Hyatt hotel and zoomed for the elevators, furiously pressing the up button.  The elevators took far too long to get there, and far too long to get to the 24th floor.  He jumped out and felt a wave of disappointment when Youngjae wasn’t waiting outside.

                “Of course he wouldn’t be, you stupid it,” Daehyun cursed himself.  He moved to the restaurant, deciding to check inside in case, by some miracle, Youngjae was still there, waiting for him.

                “Hello, may I help you?” the bartender asked as Daehyun made his way up.  A cursory glance around the restaurant told him that Youngjae wasn’t there, but he still wanted to check.

                “Has Yoo Youngjae been here tonight?” he asked and the bartender raised his eyebrows at the name.

                “He was, but you just missed him.  Already left.”

                Daehyun’s stomach dropped and his chest clenched.  He was too late.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I know this is short (and like 12 hours after I posted the previous chapter), but I was so excited to write this (especially after reading everyone's feedback) and also couldn't make it any longer due to the nature of the next part that really needs to be its own chapter.

So here's a teaser of what's coming next!  I hope you enjoy!

Until next time,

Dani <3