Chapter 2

Love in Fables and Stables

 

I feel blessed.

Riding on top of a cart filled with apples with my two best friends, Yoona and Seulong. From the outside, people will never assume that we would be close childhood friends. The siblings are loud and boisterous whereas I tend to speak only when spoken to and prefer the comfort of peace and quiet. They prefer to wrestle with each other while I would rather snuggle under a tree with a book.

Yet, from the first time we met at the playschool, we clicked. And both of them always make me take risks that I would never consider doing when I’m alone. Since I had no siblings, I had come to take them as my own sister and brother.

Aunt Imo, Yoona and Seulong’s mother, is mom’s best friend and they both worked at the royal kitchen together years back. Hence, we took turns going to each other’s house when our moms had different shifts since my dad was busy at the fruit farm or stall while their dad was busy at the stables.

As we got older, we go to school together and help each other out when either of parents needed help in harvesting or caring for horses.

With the bright sunshine and the wind blowing through my hair, life was simple and I feel blessed.

“Yah, Seo Hyun. Why are you so quiet? Are you even listening to me?!” Yoona’s voice interrupted her daydream.

“Eh? Ne! Sorry Yoona, I feel so happy today. I feel like good things are going to happen and I don’t know why. Haha” Seo Hyun replied with a bright smile.

“Ya, I have to go back and scrub off more manure from the stable floors. What is so good about that?!” Seulong grunted.

Yoona tsked. “That’s what I have been saying Seo Hyun. Of course good things are going to happen, the four Jung princes will be arriving this evening! They are gaawwjusss!!”

“Don’t you dare run off from the stables to go to the palace and leave me alone later Yoona or I’ll tell Appa.” Seulong retorted only to have Yoona sticking out his tongue at him.

“Oh please, I know for a fact that you can’t wait to see the Princess from the Lee Kingdom ever since you found out that she rides on her own horse instead of being drawn in a carriage. What’s her name again, Princess Seon Kyu? I heard she’s short though.”

“Hey! Don’t insult the princess. She’s cool! Unlike those weak princesses, I heard she can wrestle really well! How awesome is that!” Seulong interjected.

“Ooohh…someone has a thing for the princess ayy..HAHA. Seo Hyun, what about you, do you know anything about the other kingdoms? Have you been to any of them when you were younger?” Yoona asked.

“Hmm...I’m not sure. I don’t remember much about the things I did when I was younger. But I know the Jung Kingdom makes the best sweet potatoes ever! My dad brought home some from his travels before and they were perfect. So different from the sweet potatoes here. I hope they will sell some sweet potatoes during the trade fair next week! Kyaa! I’m excited!” Seo Hyun gushed.

The siblings looked at each other and shook their heads.

Here they were gushing about princes and princesses and this girl was gushing about sweet potatoes. Seo Hyun can be so strange. For a 17 year old going on 18, she is still too innocent.

They soon arrived at the gates of the stable where Seulong and Yoona’s dad was already waiting.

“Oh! Seo Hyun you are here too! Nice to see you after so long!”

“Ne Uncle, it’s nice to see you too!”

“Ok kids, we have to get to work immediately. I just received notice that the entourage from the Jung Kingdom will be arriving in about one hour. We need to arrange the hay beddings for the horses and make sure everything is in place! Seo Hyun, do you mind helping me with the fruits and feed the horses once you are done?”

“Ne Uncle, I’d love to help out. I’ll see you guys once we are free then,” she said to Seulong and Yoona who were already busy getting down to work.

Not long after, the sounds of trumpets emanated the air, announcing the arrival of the members of the Jung Kingdom. The horses also slowly started to stream in.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oh my god, we are finally here! I thought my was going to cramp up if I have to ride the horse any longer man.”

“Ya, Jungshin. You’re a prince, mind your image.” Jonghyun commented.

“Ahrasso, hyung. Eh, where did Yonghwa hyung go?”

“I saw him bringing Thor to the back stables. You know how he is with his horse, he won’t let anyone handle Thor,” Minhyuk, the youngest prince added.

“Oh please, that horse is too scary to be handled by anyone else! It almost bit my fingers off when I tried to feed it just now! I think it’s more like no one can handle Thor except for Yonghwa hyung.” Jungshin shivered at the memory having the burly horse almost snapping his fingers off.

“Okay guys, if that’s the case, let’s greet the Old Queen first and wait for our parents to arrive. I need some sleep.” Jonghyun muttered grumpily, wanting to lead the way to the entrance of the palace only to realize that there were no servants attending to his horse yet.

He had to go so he called out to a boy who was stacking a pile of hay at the back. He seemed quite strong despite his small built since he doubted those stacks were light.

“Er...excuse me, boy. Excuse me!” He called out to the boy several times more but seem to not receive any response. Irritated and frustrated due to lack of sleep, he walked up to the haystack and shouted,

“Oi boy, are you deaf? I’ve been calling out for you for so long. Aren’t you going to respond at all?”

Jungshin and Minhyuk were shocked for the moment as their image adhering and peace loving brother blew his top at the poor boy. Yet, the boy remained engrossed with his task.

Jonghyun then reached out and pulled the boy to face him to grab his attention.

As the boy was half carrying a stack of hay, he lost his balanced and slipped, landing on top of the prince. Hay surrounded them like falling confetti.

“Ya, what the hell is wrong with you?! Get off me!” Jonghyun exclaimed once he realized the awkward position he was in and the boy’s face was on his chest.

The small body starting struggling to get up and finally looked up at the person that caused this mess.

When they looked at each others’ faces, only one word came out of the mouths respectively.

“Oh.”

“.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------