Chapter 1

Love in Fables and Stables

 

Present day.

The weekend market was bustling with activity, although a relatively somber atmosphere eluded them.

The city was commemorating the deaths of the Seo royal family that sacrificed their lives to save the Kingdom. The Old Queen Seo was holding a service for her son, daughter and grandchild who perished 10 years ago. The whole city was involved to give their condolences and recognized the loss of the royal family. Representatives of the royal family of the other Kingdoms were expected to arrive, a rare occasion for the weakened and forgotten Kingdom. At the same time, it was a chance to reforge diplomatic and economic ties among the Kingdoms.

“Uncle! My appa wants me to collect the apples for the horses now! Ya Oppa, bring the cart here faster. Palli!”  The Im Siblings, Seulong (18) and Yoona (17) stood in front of the fruit stall in the market owned by the Park family.

“Oh Yoona! Seulong-ah! How are you? Is your appa doing good? I heard he will be helping the royal stables for the event.” Uncle Park In Sung asked the two teens, who are the best friends of his only daughter.

“Ne Uncle! Appa has been making us scrub the stables the whole weekend till our backs are sore. We will be taking care of the horses from the Jung and Lee Kingdoms in our stable!” Seulong added with excitement despite his grumblings.

“Uncle,” Yoona then quipped, “Where is Hyunnie? I haven’t seen her for two days. I miss her already. Appa didn’t let us leave the stables until we were done scrubbing.”

“She went to do some deliveries. She’ll be back soon. Since you guys must be tired, help yourselves to some oranges! Seo Hyun and I picked them this morning.”

At the same moment, a girl with bright eyes and wavy hair came in carry her now empty fruit basket.

“Yoonaaaaaa!” She ran to the stall shrieking as she saw her friend and gave her a bear hug.

“Seo Hyunnieeee!” Her friend hugged her in return, as though they have been separated for months.

“Ya, stop with this melodrama. Seo Hyunnn, I want a hug too…” Seulong cut in, giving a sad face.

“Haha…ahrasso oppa,” and she reached out to the boy who is just like a big brother to her.

They started to load the cart with the apples for the horses in the stables while catching up when Seulong suggested,

“Hey Seo Hyun, do you want to drop by at the stables later to see the horses from the Jung and Lee Kingdoms? I hear they are of a different breed and are one of the fastes horses in the land!”

“Yeah Seohyun! And we can spend some time together cause my appa wants me to stay at the sables in case he needs help with the horses.” said Yoona. “Plus I heard that the handsome Princes from the Jung Kingdom will be coming. We may get to see them!” She added, giggling.

Seo Hyun, turned to face her father for permission. She knew her father did not like her to have any association with the palace grounds. She knew that her father used to be a royal guard a long time ago and perhaps the horrors that took place there as mentioned in history books had made him want to distance himself from anything to do with the royals. This was rather contradictory since her mother constantly helps out in the royal kitchen as she used to be a senior cook there and the Park family business sold a lot of their produce to the palace.

Park In Sung saw the eagerness in his daughter’s eyes. Yet, he felt apprehensive. Will this be the right thing to do? He unconsciously put his hand into the pockets of his pants where he kept the letter from yesterday. Perhaps, she is ready.

“Ahrasso, but don’t be back too late. And don’t disturb these two kids when they are working okay. Knowing you, you might trip and fall even while walking. Don’t make me worry Seo Hyun-ah,” he lamented.

“Thank you Appa! I promise I’ll be careful!” Seo Hyun hugged her dad and proceeded to join her friends on the cart. She can’t believe her luck today, things seems to be going right.

Seeing his daughter leaving with her friends, In Sung took out the letter and read it again,

To my loyal guard,

I cannot tell you how much the service of you and your wife is appreciated and that the royal family will forever be indebted to you. If the child is willing, do let her come to the palace.

Although I will not be able to acknowledge her as my grand-daughter just yet, please do not deny this old woman the chance to see her only family left while she still can. I know I should have seek out for her a long time ago but it was not so safe then. This coming event where the highest protection of all four kingdoms surrounds the palace might be the only chance.

I am sorry for having put you and your wife with this great responsibility and the burden to carry but you are someone I know I can trust to protect my family and this kingdom.

Please love Joo Hyun as your own.

H.R.H. Queen Seo

He thought of the burden that this innocent girl had to carry. The girl which he and his wife was given the responsibility to nurture and take care of as his own for the past ten years in secret. He named her Seo Hyun, to constantly remind himself of the weight of the Kingdom that rested upon her shoulders.

The lies and charades for the sake of peace and hope.

A duty of a soldier for his kingdom.