The C Shop

The Cyborg Clerk

"Hello! Welcome to The C Shop! I'll be right with you in a moment!" Minseok yells from the back of the shop where parts are scattered everywhere and tools are out of the tool box. Minseok wipes his hands and walks to the counter while yelling back.

"Jongdae! Put the tools and stuff back once your done with them!" He turns around to greet the customer and realizes the boy standing in front of the counter is one of their regulars.
 
"Sehun! It's nice to see you again! Let me guess.. Your arm again?" He smirks at the younger.
 
"Hey! It's not my fault I have a y arm piece. And yes. The bolt on my elbow keeps unscrewing loose." Sehun grabs his elbow to look at it again.
 
"Alright, just sit down and let me grab my tools. I'll be right back." Minseok instructs him to sit down on the chairs in front where he does all of his work on people.
 
Ever since he was 14, Minseok has been working here at the C shop. His parents taught him everything he needed to know. His parents worked as mechanics that manufactured the parts that were sold to people, now they own their own store. Minseok always took interest in his parents work. If it meant helping people, he'd do it. 
 
Minseok grabbed the tool box and a box of bolts and headed over toward Sehun.
 
"Okay let me see your arm." Minseok puts his supplies down and grabs Sehun's arm. He twists off the bolt, which was rather easy, he didn't even have to use the wrench.
 
He opens the box of bolts and examines the place where he has to put it.
 
"I don't know why you couldn't figure it out, but the bolt you had was too small." He buts the old bolt into the box and takes out several others to find if they fit.
 
"Really? Well that does make sense. My brother was trying to fix it for me, and he's not the best with this kind of stuff."
 
Minseok screws in the correct bolt and moves Sehun's arm back and forth, testing out the movement of his arm. 
 
"I think you're all good to go. Is there anything else you need me to check before you go?" Minseok packs up his tools and the box of bolts before standing up and putting them on the counter, waiting for Sehun to pay for his repair.
 
"No, I think that's it for now. Thank's again Minseok, you're the best!" Sehun waves as he starts to walk out.
 
"Oh what ever! I'll see you later Sehun!" He waves back to him and puts the tools away.
 
He walks towards the back of the shop and finds Jongdae snacking away.
 
"Are you serious? Again? Dude, your break is in an hour, can't you wait?" Minseok walks up to Jongdae, snatching the bag of chips out of his hands.
 
"Aye! I was eating that!" Jongdae stands up abruptly pointing at Minseok.
 
"Well now I'm eating them. Go back to the counter, clean up and wait for another customer. Then, maybe I'll give them back." Minseok grabs a chip out of the bag, chewing rather loud, with his mouth open. 
 
"You know that annoys me 'Seok!" Jongdae storms out taking a broom with him, sweeping the floor of the front part of the shop. Minseok can hear him mumbling about how some baozi boy can take those chips and shove it up his, well you get it.
 
The door chimes, indicating that a new customer had arrived. Minseok hears Jongdae's once angry voice turn into a tone of placidity, as if the previous bickering between the two employees didn't happen.
 
Jongdae sits the customer down and unscrews her arm, replacing the fan that was broken, according to the girls sultry explanation. Jongdae fixes her arm in less than four minutes, rushing his way behind the counter, impatiently waiting for the girl to pay for the repair. She takes her time getting out her money, all while asking him if he makes house calls. Jongdae is shocked by her proposal. He doesn't know what to say to her. Minseok knows he's not good with girls, so he stands up and walks to the counter, back hugs Jongdae, and nuzzles his head into Jongdae's neck.
 
"Jongdae-yah, our shifts are almost over, help me in the back, will you?" Minseok looks up to the girl, giving her a glare, and walking back to the storage room, raking his eyes up and down Jongdae's body.
 
While that was happening, Jongdae just smiled rigidly at the girl as she walked away, thinking he was gay. He just says goodbye and waits for her to leave before storming to where Minseok was.
 
"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT. ARE YOU CRAZY!?" Jongdae paces back and forth, looking at Minseok with wide eyes.
 
"Well, we both know you would have choked up, said yes to her, and took her out on a date, be asked to go home with her, who knows WHAT the two of you would do, and then, I wouldn't be able to help you out there now would I?" Minseok grabs the bag of chips from the stool placed next to one of the two chairs they had in the back for break time.
 
"Well you could have done anything other than THAT!" He continues to pace but finally stops when Minseok takes his shoulders and forcefully sits him down.
 
"I'm sorry. I just couldn't think of anything else. So you owe me."
 
"Just don't do that EVER AGAIN." Jongdae lets his head fall between his hands.
 
"Whatever, so how are your hands? Still acting up?" Minseok puts the past situation behind him and talks about Jongdae's hands.
 
"Eh, they hurt every once in awhile, but nothing I can't handle." He looks at his hands. Both of them have been replaced with metal. Like almost everyone else on the planet, a part of his body had been taken by the Dryad virus. The virus wasn't the kind that you get from eating the wrong food, one you could almost prevent. It was airborne, meaning anyone had a chance at getting it. Jongdae was one of them. 
 
Minseok on the other hand, was lucky. He was immune. However, his of luck had to come with a price, right?
 
During the time that the two were talking, Minseok couldn't help but think of something he had to tell Jongdae. He was one of his closest, and only friends at that. 
 
I'll tell him soon.
 
Not long after their conversation, their shift had ended. No one else came in after that one girl. The two cleaned up once more and headed out. 
 
"Anyways, um. Thanks, for.. Today. I'll uh- see you. Tomorrow." Jongdae fumbles with the keys in his hand while saying good bye to Minseok.
 
"Anytime man. See yah." Minseok chuckles as he walks the other. He takes multiple steps before turning to his left and walks up a flight of stairs. 
 
Luckily for him he lived in a small complex pressed up against the shop along with other stores that lined up down the street. It made sense since his parents owned the shop. Being part of owning the shop meant needing easier access to it.
 
Minseok counted the steps up to his apartment, taking his time on each one. He made it up to the top and searched his pockets for his keys. Opening the door he found his parents at the small dinner table he had near the kitchen. His parents did visit often, but usually on the weekends, when the shop was closed.
 
"Hey mom, hey dad." He shuffled his way to kiss his mom on her forehead and hugged his dad. He set his things on the counter and walked towards the fridge, taking out a water bottle.
 
"So hows everything 'Seok?" His dad turns his chair around to face him.
 
"Good! Everything's great. The shop is doing really good." He uncaps his bottle and takes two big gulps before capping it again.
 
"How's your h-" His mother quietly asked him but was cut short when Minseok interrupted her.
 
"It's fine. It hurts but it's fine." He knows he shouldn't be talking this way to his mother but it's a touchy subject for him.
 
Theres a short silence until Minseok's dad coughs and changes the subject.
 
"So, how was the shift? Anything happen today?" His dad knew he was a closed off person so he respected it and wanted to help him out.
 
Minseok caught his father's smile and mentally thanked him for that before starting to talk about the whole ordeal between him, Jongdae and the lady customer.
 
"Oh! Today this girl came in, and she started to flirt with Jongdae. It was quite entertaining to watch. He started to freeze up behind the counter when she asked him out on a date." 
 
"Oh poor Jongdae, hopeless when it comes to girls." His mother shook her head and smiled. Minseok's father asked him to continue. "Well? Then what happened? Did he say yes?"
 
"Oh god no!" Minseok started again, "Well, me, being the greatest friend in the world, when to help him. I back hugged him and asked him to come to the back. I kind of glared at the girl."
 
"So she thought you two were gay?" His father sat there, slightly shocked. 
 
"You're not gay, are you honey?" His mother looked at her son quizzically, then added on. "I mean there is nothing wrong with tha-"
 
"OH NO NO NO NO." Minseok suddenly straightens up at his mothers question. "Oh Lord no. I was just trying to help him out."
 
After that no one said anything. The three of them look at each other for a few seconds then burst out laughing.
 
For awhile, Minseok tells more funny stories about Jongdae, himself, and pretty much anything.
 
"So when are you going to tell Jongdae?" Minseok's father get's serious for a moment.
 
"I don't know. Soon, I guess." Minseok slouches and traces the grains in the table.
 
"Honey you have to do it soon. He's been your friend for years. I know Cybrid told us not to tell anyone, but Jongdae's one of your only friends." His mother grabbed his hands and her thumb over his knuckles.
 
"I will, promise." He looks into her eyes, giving her a comforting look.
 
"We should get going, it's getting late." His dad stands up and grabs his coat and keys.
 
"Thanks for coming by, I had fun." Minseok stands next to his dad at the door, watching his mom get up.
 
"Ah, I swear Minseok, you get taller everyday." His mom walks up to him and pinches his cheeks.
 
"Mom, stop it. It hurts." He frowns and looks at his mom with lazy eyes.
 
"Sorry honey, I just miss those days when you were younger."
 
"Bye son. We'll see you next week?" His dad puts his hand on his shoulder.
 
"Of course. I love you guys." He unlocks the door and opens it.
 
"Bye Minseok! I love you honey." His mom kisses his cheek and walks out.
 
He watches them until they get down the stairs and turn the the left.
 
He walks back in and heads toward the kitchen. His rests his elbows and thinks about the days events. His mind trails to Jongdae.
 
He's my best friend. I have to tell him.
 
Minseok is defeated, thinking of ways to tell him.
 
How do I tell him that I actually have a robotic hand, but it's the first of it's kind to be covered by synthetic skin?