O

Lover Be Strong

 

TAEYEON’S POV

It was my third day at the hospital. It was about noon and I lay still in my bed, staring at the watch which was hanging above the door. I tried to calculate the amount of minutes that were left until I could finally go home, and when I could go back to work. Four days equals twenty four hours times four which is… I started counting on my fingers but was interrupted at eighty-four hours as the door to my room flung open.

“Tadah!” Yoseob called out as he dramatically entered the room. My eyes widened at the sight of him.

“Yoseob-ah, what are you doing here?” I sat up straight as he approached my bed.

“I’m buying a horse, what do you think I’m doing?” Yoseob kissed my cheek while sitting down beside me. “I’m visiting you of course.”

“What I meant was; what are you doing here now? Shouldn’t you be in school?” I asked accusingly. He looked away and fiddled with the blanket.

“I guess you could say I called in sick…” he said elusively. I smacked his shoulder and he winced a little.

“Yah, Yang Yoseob! Don’t take ditching so easily, you have to think about your future,” I said and almost felt like wagging my index finger at him, but I was sounding too much like a mother already. Yoseob gently touched the area where I had hit him and glanced up at me from the side.

“Says the girl who dropped out of high school…”

“That’s irrelevant,” I snapped. Yoseob looked a bit hurt when saying:

“I just wanted to see you…” I sighed and felt my conscience taking over.

“I’m sorry Yoseobbie.” I put my hand over his on the sore area where I had hit him. He looked at me with those dark puppy eyes of his. “Just promise me you won’t skip school again.” Yoseob’s face lit up in a wide grin.

“Promise!” He made himself comfortable in the bed and took my hands in his. “Now, tell me: how was your day?”

 

 

Every day for the rest of my stay at the hospital Yoseob came to visit me and he stayed until the nurses had to kick him out. I don’t know what I would have done without him. As soon as Yoseob left for the night and the nurses turned off the lights I felt scared and alone. I used the gift, the precious book, Yoseob had granted me with to keep myself calm until I fell asleep. Mostly I woke up with the book still safely in my hands. On the day I was going home Yoseob didn’t show up. I tried not to get worked up about it, he had his own life with friends and homework and stuff, hence he couldn’t have time to be with me every day. Bit still I worried. He was always with me. At this time I really wished I had a cell phone. My mother helped me out of the bed while my mind was busy thinking of Yoseob.

“There is someone waiting for you outside the door?” my mother said ingeniously. I looked at her in a dazed surprise. Who could it be? “He is coming home with us today.” Yoseob? I excitedly hurried towards the door and hurried into the corridor. I froze in shock at the sight that met my eyes.

“Appa?!” For a few moments I just stood still and stared at him while he smiled at me from his wheelchair.

“Taeyeon-ah,” he said as a reply to my weird greeting. I finally got my brain to work again and I carefully hugged my father. I had to hold my tears in. I couldn’t believe it; after weeks and months we could finally take him home. He wasn’t going to be trapped here anymore. Any thoughts of the possibility of him falling sick again were pushed away. This was going to be a purely happy moment. I pulled away, walked behind the wheelchair and gave it a light push.

“Let’s go home.”

 

 

The best and happiest moment of this day was at night, when my sister returned home after work. The twins and my younger sister were already asleep, but I waited up along with my parents. We were all sitting in silence around the dinner table inside the kitchen and looked towards the hallway when, finally, the rustling of keys was heard outside the front door. I stood up as I heard the door open and someone, hopefully my sister, was taking her shoes off. O walked closer to the sound but stayed out of sight from the hall.

“Hello?” I heard my sister ask in a quiet voice. I tilted my upper body to the side so that my head became visible from where my older sister was standing. I looked at her and gave her the warmest smile I could generate.

“Welcome home.” She grinned at my words and walked up to me with her arms spread.

“You too.” She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. Soon, she would notice. I don’t know what it was, but something in her changed when she saw our father sitting by the table behind me. I could feel it.

“Appa?” she asked in a weak voice. I let go of her to let her go up to him. My father made an attempt to stand up and meet her but the look my mother gave him ordered him to do otherwise. My sister ran up to him and gave him a big hug.

“I’m so glad you’re home,” she whispered and the happiness and the sincerity in those words made my heart melt. I looked at my father who smiled and patted her head gently.

“Me too,” he whispered. “Me too…” I watched them from my spot by the door. Finally things seemed to go our way.

 

 

My sister and I were getting ready for bed and I glanced over at her. She looked a bit tired.

“So, how are thing here?” I asked briskly. Ugh, I had spent too much time with Yoseob, I thought to myself as I cuddled underneath my blanket. My sister shrugged a little to herself.

“The same. Just, I lost my job…”

“WHAT!?” I interrupted her. She lost her job!? And no one had bothered to tell me? “What do we do now?” My hospital bill… This was going to be a disaster! My sister glared at me slightly.

“You didn’t let me finish. I lost my job but I got it back.”

“Oh…” I felt a bit stupid. But how was I supposed to react!? I scratched my head in embarrassment. “Why?”

“Why what?” she asked in a rather short tone.

“Why did you lose it, and why, or how, did you get it back?” I asked and propped myself up on one elbow. She told me this incredible story about her stupid boss and some guy who had gotten her job back for her.

“.. Isn’t that the weirdest thing you’ve heard?” she asked and put one hand to her forehead.

“Actually, it kind of is…” I hesitated, but my tongue just itched to say it. “Who is the guy?”

“Oh, Jonghyun, he’s just some guy who shows up every night to have dinner, with me, at the restaurant... One time he even dragged me out of there to have me go to some fair with him.”

“Oh right, I know. Him, he’s gorgeous,” I said with a little wave with my hand as I sat up in my bed. My sister froze in her bed and I realized what a bummer I had made. I had been hiding behind a freaking scarf at that fair.

“How do you know?” she asked me suspiciously. I just smiled.

“You mentioned it once,” I lied “casually”.

“No, I didn’t. Taeyeon-ah, don’t you think I know you’re hiding something from me? I don’t want you to have anymore secrets, okay?”

“Arasso…” I guess it was time to make some confessions. “I was there, and I saw you…”

“You were there?”

“Yeah, I was there…” I looked away. “With Yoseob…”

“Huh!?” My sister gasped. “You? Yoseob? Together? Are the two of you going out?”

“I guess you could say that,” I said with a silly giggle. It was ridiculous, but I just couldn’t hold it in. My sister on the other hand looked a little bothered.

“Taeyeon-ah, have you really thought this through? He needs all the rest he can get.” I glanced at her. What was she talking about?

“We don’t get to see each other that often anyway,” I said. That was pretty much a lie, but when I got back to work that would probably have to be the case I thought and felt the corners of my mouth drop. “But I think you’re the one who should really think about your relationship.” My sister looked confused.

“What do you mean?” I frowned a little. Didn’t she…

“Well, first of all you have to think about his condition… And what do you think Gikwang will say about you meeting this Jong-whatever guy every night? There could easily be a misunderstanding. I know you wouldn’t do anything stupid… but make sure Gikwang doesn’t get the wrong idea.”

“His name is Jonghyun, and Gikwang and I aren’t even a couple, officially…”

“You have been dating for quite a while…” I started but she brushed my comment away.

“What do you mean by ‘Gikwang’s condition’, by the way?” she asked attentatively. I looked back at her with the same concentration. She really didn’t…

“Don’t you know?”

“Know what?”

“Gikwang is really sick. He’s got leukemia.” The face my sister gave me answered all my fears. She really hadn’t known. “Unnie, I’m really…”

“We have to go to sleep. Good night.” And with that she turned her face to the wall. I looked at her back for a while before lying down. I guess it was a lot to take in for her.

“Good night…”

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

I pouted at the nurse as she pulled the needle out of my arm.

“Ahjumma, is this really necessary? I was here not long ago and you did all these tests on me then.” I looked at her as she put a plaster on my tiny wound. Ahjumma looked back at me.

“The doctors wanted another blood sample because of some changes in your hemoglobin,” she said.

“Is that bad?” I asked and wrinkled my nose.

“It could be,” the nurse said evasively. “I have to take this to the lab now, you lay down and get some rest.” I watched her leave the room and stuck my tongue out at her behind her back. Another blood sample… There was nothing wrong with me, I had never felt this good before. I poked my wound through the patch. It hurt… The sound of footsteps made me lose focus on my irritation. Oh, don’t you worry, I’ll get back to you… I looked up and to my surprise Taeyeon’s sister was walking across the floor with determined steps. I smiled brightly at her, even though I recognized that face. It was the demon-face, and I was going to get yelled at…

“Noona, it’s so nice to see you!” I beamed at her. I noticed that she had Gikwang with her. He had just left before my examination. “Oh, hyung, you’re back? Aww, I didn’t know you were so worried about me.” I laughed at myself, I’m so funny sometimes. I waved them both towards me. “Sit, sit,” I urged them and Taeyeon’s sister sat down on the edge of the bed.

“Yoseob…” she began. I wanted to facepalm myself, no, I wanted to facepalm her. How was she sitting?

“Noona, you can’t sit like that it’s awfully uncomfortable. Do like me.” I pointed to my crossed legs. “Much better, neh?” I asked as she imitated me.

“Yes…” she began with a smile as she suddenly remembered why she was located in my room to begin with. She shook her head. “It doesn’t matter how I sit, I’m here in a very important matter and I just want to talk to you,” she said with a serious face.

“Talk?” My ears perked up. “I like talking.” I clapped my hands together. In fact, I love talking. At least it sounds a badrillion times better than yelling. She stood up and walked over to the window. I dove forward and lay flat on my stomach on the bed, supporting my head in my hands. It turned out, my head is really heavy. She turned back to me and I flashed her a smile.

“Why did you tell Taeyeon that Gikwang is the one who is sick?”

“Oh, that…” my smile wobbled a bit on my lips. I was in biiiig trouble…

“Yes, that.” She sat back down on the bed. “Why?”

“I said Gikwang was sick and I wasn’t because… I didn’t want her to be with me out of pity. For once I just wanted not to be ‘Sick Yoseob’. Just Yoseob.” He smiled at the ceiling. “I’ve been able to be with Taeyeon without getting sympathy looks. To her I’m Just Yoseob.” I smiled at her lack off words. Somehow I felt that she recognized herself in what I said. Not that she was in the same situation, but she had her own problems, and just like me, she didn’t feel like sharing them to everything and everyone. Finally she looked at me.

“You have to tell her,” she said. I looked up at her, trying hard to make my eyes look as puppy as possible.

“Do I have to?”

“If you don’t, I will,” she said. I sighed and buried my head in the mattress.

“She’s going to be so mad,” I whined.

“I will tell her if you don’t,” she said assuring. “Remember what happened last time you hid something.” My heart clenched at her words. It was my fault that Taeyeon had to go to the hospital. I should’ve said something. Anything. I groaned.

“I will tell her, I will.” I sat up and pouted at her. “Actually, I’ve been trying to come up with a way to tell her. Lying makes me feel so bad.”

“How did you come up with the idea to lie to her to begin with?” she asked, she almost sounded a bit annoyed. I ruffled my hair and thought back at the time when my lie had come out.

“When she asked me why I was spending so much time here at the hospital I didn’t want her to treat me different from before, so before I knew the stupid word vomit had already plopped out of my mouth.” This time I really wanted to facepalm myself, but I kept it to shaking my head. I really sounded stupid. I was stupid. How could I lie to my lovely Taeyeon? But still… “Now I don’t want things to change because, I’m in love with her.”

“I’m sorry, what?” She stared at me with wide eyes, and if this had been one of my favourite cartoons her chin would have been touching the bottom floor already. I laughed and leaned back. I smiled at her with an image of Taeyeon gracing my mind.

“Sorry, I phrased myself bad. What I meant to say was: I love her.” Only I could know exactly how true those words were when they left my mouth, but if she and Gikwang could only sense the smallest ounce of my sincerity they would be overwhelmed. The only thing that bugged me now was that… I hadn’t told her first. Gikwang and his aggressive girlfriend stayed and kept me company for another while until the nurse came back and kicked them out. I lay on my stomach and started flailing my arms and legs around.

“Wae? Why can’t they stay? Wae? Wae!?” I whined.

“Stop it, don’t get yourself hurt,” the nurse started in a soft tone. But she soon understood that my flapping with my arms wouldn’t stop she used more force. “Yang Yoseob, calm down immediately!” I froze in my movements at her sudden outburst and I looked at the nurse with a pout.

“So, it’s bad?” I asked. It couldn’t come more ill-timed. How was I supposed to see Taeyeon if I had to get hospitalized? The nurse sighed.

“The results aren’t back yet, you know that. Just, be careful, do you hear me?”

 

 

I lay, all by myself, on the couch in the living room, waiting. Why weren’t they coming home? I almost fell off the sofa when the doorbell rang. Finally! Taeyeon was jumping nervously outside the door. She looked around her as if she was looking for someone. I looked at her through the peek hole in the door long enough for her to put on a wondering and slightly worried face and she rang the bell again. I almost slammed the door open right in her face, that’s how eager I was to see her.

“Welcome Taeyeon-ah! Come in, come in. Give me a hug. Do you want something to eat? no, it’ll be dinner soon. Do you want to see my room? Of course you want to. This way, come with me!” I grabbed her hand and dragged her inside. “You can keep the shoes on,” I said as she started to protest, and she ended up being dragged up the stairs, by me. I pushed the door open and jumped over the threshold, landing on the pink carpet in the centre of the room. “What do you think?” I beamed at Taeyeon as she entered the room. With big, round eyes she looked around her.

“It’s so… fluffy,” she said hesitantly.

“I know,” I squealed. “Isn’t it adorable?”

“Suits you,” she mumbled. Taeyeon grabbed one of my billion stuffed animals and held it up in front of her. She tilted her head to one side. “This one kind of looks like… Gikwang, doesn’t it?” she said and a small laugh escaped her. “That’s why you bought it, right?” I skipped up to her and patted the head of my teddy capybara.

“Of course,” I smiled at her. Only she could see the same similarity between hyung and Mr Pabo that I could see. At least Gikwang never admitted that he also could see it. Taeyeon put the capybara back in its’ place on the shelf and gently touched every animal as she passed it.

“My youngest sister would be in heaven if she saw this,” she sighed. I walked right behind her as she explored my unique collection.

“Then bring her here,” I said. Taeyeon didn’t have time to answer as a noise was heard from downstairs. She turned to me.

“Is anyone else here?” she asked. I bet she was annoyed because I hadn’t introduced her. As polite as always, just like my hyung. I smiled.

“It’s my parents, they’re coming home from some business trip.” Her eyes widened as my words.

“Your parents?” she whispered and she immediately looked down at what she was wearing and frantically started to fix her clothes. “You could have at least warned me.”

“You look as pretty as ever,” I said and quickly borrowed a small tiara from Sleeping Carlie and placed it on Taeyeon’s head. She shot me a glance. “Just like a princess,” I sighed.

“Yoseob-ah?” a voice was heard from right outside the door.

“I’m here omma,” I said without taking my eyes off of Taeyeon.

“Yoseob-ah, my little kitty-pumpkin, I’ve missed you so much. Come and give your mother a.. hug…” Omma lost track of her words as she entered my room and her eyes fell on my pretty Taeyeon. She put one hand over . “Aigoo, I didn’t realize you had… company.” She moved her hand from to her chest and laughed embarrassedly. “Could this be the famous Taeyeon?”

“Ah, yeh. Annyeo…” Before Taeyeon had time to finish her sentence my mum had given her a hug.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you.” Omma put one hand between Taeyeon’s scapulas and started to steer her out of the room. “I heard you weren’t feeling too good, even got hospitalized. How are you now? Better? How would you feel about a cup of tea before dinner?” my mum babbled on. Taeyeon smiled.

“Tea would be lovely, thank you,” she said politely. She glanced back at me and I nodded at her. She smiled. This was going to go well. Not that I had ever doubted it, but you know how parents are… Just so much… tea…  My mum showed Taeyeon to the kitchen table where my father was sitting and reading the news to catch up on what he had missed during his trip. He and Taeyeon chatted friendly with each other as my omma forced me to help her with dinner. I wanted to sit with my yeobo…

“Does she know?” my mother whispered. I shook my head once. “She’s a nice girl, don’t be unfair to her. Now give me that.”

“The salt?”

“Yes, the salt.”

 

 

Taeyeon fell head first onto my bed. I stood in the doorway and watched her lie still until I thought she was going to suffocate with her face pressed against my pillow. I gently poked her in the side. She flinched and a small squeal escaped her. She glared up at me.

“Why didn’t you tell me I was going to sit out a dinner with your parents?” she hissed. I shrugged.

“Why would I? Are you planning to marry me?” I batted my eyelashes at her. She tossed the pillow in my face.

“I just wanted to make a good impression…”

You made a good impression! There can be no other result out of this encounter,” I said with a grin. Taeyeon sighed and stretched a hand above her head.

“I hope so.” She closed her hand around the first thing her fingers touched. Taeyeon took the only stuffed animal I had in my bed and brought it closer to her face. She propped herself up on the elbows, studying the little bear closely. I held my breath, not to disturb her focus with my breathing. I tend to breathe loudly sometimes. Taeyeon glanced sideways at me. “Did you name this one after me?” she asked and a smile twinkled in her eyes. I let out my breath with a puff.

“How did you know?” I asked surprised. She just shrugged.

“I just got a feeling.” She giggled a little. “Also, it looks like me, especially around the eyes.”

“You sound like you’re talking about a baby,” I said teasingly while reaching out a hand from one of the shelves and took down a very special little kitten before I jumped onto the bed and lay beside Taeyeon. “This one is for you,” I said and replaced the bear in her hand with the kitten. “It looks like me… will you name it after me?” I gave her an anticipating look and she answered with a wide grin.

“I already did.”

“Chincha?” I felt my entire being lighten up. Taeyeon nodded eagerly.

“Yeh, I’ll call it Kitten-Pumpkin,” she said and played with the legs of the toy cat. I pouted at her.

“Aigoo, chincha?” That’s not the reality I wanted… Taeyeon giggled.

“Fine. I’ll name it Yoseobbie,” she said and I happily twinkled my eyes at her. “In middle name…”

“Yah!”

 

 

I followed her to the door.

“I don’t you to leave,” I whined and grasped her hands, making it impossible for her to tie her shoelaces.

“I don’t want to leave,” she said quietly. I wanted to kiss her so badly, but I knew that my parents were spying at us from somewhere.

“Let’s decide a date at once, how about tomorrow?” I said, just to keep my mouth occupied. “I have something to tell you…” She gave me a suspicious look.

“What kind of date?”

“It’ll be a surprise,” I said mischievously. She narrowed her eyes at me but I could see the smile that hid in their dark deep.

“Arasso. See you tomorrow then. Will you let me put my shoes on now?” I watched her tie her laces and soon she was ready to leave.

“Goodbye. Be careful on your way home!” I waved after her until she disappeared out of my sight. I closed the door with a sigh and turned around. The sight of my parents standing right in front of me made me jump in surprise. I held my hand to my heart.

“Yah, are you trying to scare me to death? Chincha…”

“Nice catch son,” my dad said and shook my shoulder. “That’s a decent girl.”

“Why didn’t you kiss her?” my mother asked accusingly.

“Ah, chincha…”

 

 

I was counting down the time until I was going to meet Taeyeon and show her what I had prepared. It was nothing big, but I thought she might appreciate it. Only a few hours left… That was too long! I was restless and bored. My parents had left this morning for another of their business trips, so I was all alone in the house. Gikwang was at some anniversary date with Taeyeon’s sister… or not? I turned myself into a turtle and stretched out my neck so that I could look out the window properly. That really was Gikwang walking down the street, towards my house. I ran ahead and opened the door for him before he had even reached the porch. His entire being told me that there was something wrong.

“Hyung?” He walked right past me into the house. “Hyu-ung?” I closed the door and followed Gikwang into the living room. He paced back and forth in the middle of the room. “Hyung, sit,” I said determinately. Without a word he did as he was told. I sat down beside him. I looked at his clenched fists that were placed on his knees and gently put my own hands over them. He looked up and met my eyes. I had never seen so much pain in them before, and it hurt me to have to see it.

“She is seeing someone else,” he said. It was obvious that he was referring to Taeyeon’s sister. I stayed quiet. “She has been two timing me.”

“I’ll go and get the pen.” I was back by his side in only a few seconds. I pushed his sleeve up to his elbow and took off the lid. With slow and swift movements I started my project. “Are you absolutely certain that this is the case?”

“I caught her red handed.”

“I think you’re wrong.”

“It doesn’t matter what you think, you weren’t there. You didn’t see them, you didn’t hear him, you didn’t hear her call out his name when he left. But I did Yoseob, I did.”

“Did she give you an explanation?”

“She didn’t have to.” There was a pause and I finished my masterpiece.

“There you go,” I said softly. Gikwang looked down at his arm and scoffed.

“It’s as terrible as ever, don’t you ever practice?” he asked. I shrugged.

“I’m practicing to get worse, I don’t want it to lose its’ charm,” I said. The left corner of Gikwang’s mouth twitched slightly upwards.

“It never will.” He looked at me. “Thanks dongsaeng.”

“Anything for you, my favourite hyung,” I said and smiled at him.

“As far as I know I’m your only hyung,” Gikwang said with one eyebrow raised.

“I don’t see the problem.”

“Aish, come here!”

 

 

TAEYEON’S POV

I felt bac for leaving my sister in such a state, but she had insisted on me going to meet Yoseob. She probably hoped for some news about Gikwang. I waited for Yoseob by the fountain where we had eaten ice cream together once upon a time. Wasn’t he coming soon? I spotted a person walking slowly on the other side of the plaza. Despite the twilight I could distinguish the platinum coloured hair.

“Yoseobbie!” I called out. He lifted one hand and waved at me. He smiled as he approached me and he kept his hands behind his back. 

“Taeyeon-ah,” he said. I tried to look behind him.

“What have you got there?” I asked. He just smiled.

“You’ll know soon.” I looked at his face. He looked a bit pale. I touched his forehead.

“You’re acting unusually calm, is anything the matter?” I asked him with a frown. He reached out a hand and smoothed out the frown with the tip of his fingers.

“I just met Gikwang.”

“How is he?”

“Not too happy.”

“It’s all a misunderstanding.”

“I know.” There was a moment of silence until I suddenly remembered.

“What was it that you wanted to tell me?” I asked. Yoseob shook his head.

“First things first. I made you something.” Yoseob sat down on the edge of the fountain and motioned for me to do the same. “Here,” he said and held out his hands towards me as I sat down beside him. I accepted the flat object that he gave me and turned it over to look at it. I turned my back to Yoseob and held up the photography towards the light of the nearest streetlamp. I immediately recognized the motive. It was Kitten-Pumpkin Yoseobbie sitting in the arms of Teddy Taeyeon. The picture was decorated with small multicoloured stickers in forms of hearts and flowers and a small text in the corner said: For Fluffy Eternity. I smiled at the photo.

“Thank you so much, Yoseobbie, it’s so cute. When did you take it?” I turned back to Yoseob. My heart stopped in my chest when at the sight of him. His face was clearly paler than before, his whole body was shaking and a droplet of sweat trickled down his forehead. I put the picture down on my other side and reached my hands out for him. “Yoseob, are you okay?”

“I’m… fine,” he choked and I could see the hint of a forced smile. His body started to lean towards mine and his eyes rolled back in his skull. I panicked.

“Yoseob? Yoseob!?” I shook his arm and he tried to focus his eyes on mine.

“It’s okay, Taeyeon-ah,” he whispered. “I’m fine…” His head tilted backwards and his body went numb. I had to grab him by the collar so he wouldn’t fall into the fountain. I desperately called his name out as I hugged his body to keep him upright. People from nearby who heard my screams came running and helped me place Yoseob on the ground.

“Somebody call an ambulance!”

“What’s happening?”
“Is someone dialling!?”

I cried as I watched Yoseob get picked up by the ambulance men and placed on a stretcher. Don’t leave me here! The driver looked at me as I tried to get through to Yoseob.

“Are you a relative?” he asked.

“Yes!” I burst out. Whatever you say, just let me go with him. “I’m his!” Don’t let him leave me here! Don’t leave me! The driver nodded at me.

“Get in.”

 

 

They had taken him away from me. I could no longer reach him. The doctors had forced me to stay outside, I had no idea what was going, how he was, what was wrong with him. I was left with Yoseob’s phone in my hands but my mind was blank and all I could focus on was the pain in my chest that grew worse for each second that passed. There was a nurse who tried to talk to me and calm me down but there was nothing that helped. How was Yoseob? Was he going to…? The nurse took the cell phone out of my hands and called the first ICE number she could find among the contacts in his phone. All I could decipher from the blur around me was the name: Gikwang. I felt something let go inside of me and my hand reached for the phone.

“I already ended the call…” I ignored the nurse and dialled the only number I had memorized, and it was my own home number. I knew who was going to answer.

“Yoboseyo?” If I thought I had calmed down a little when I knew Gikwang was coming I was wrong. The sound of my sisters’ voice made everything come out again. I cried and sobbed as I tried to make my message get through to her and I repeated Yoseob’s name several times. She soon understood what I was trying to say.

“Calm down Taeyeon-ah, I’ll be right there.” She hung up and I sank onto the floor. The nurse was gone and I was alone. I hugged my knees in an attempt to comfort myself. I felt helpless. I felt useless. I was alone. Without Yoseob I was nothing. Don’t let them tear him away from me. I don’t know for how long I sat by myself on the floor crying out loud in despair and sorrow when someone suddenly came running and hugged me. I was surrounded by the warmth and the familiar scent of my sister and through my tears I could distinguish the figure of Gikwang. I sobbed against my sisters’ shoulder and tried to form a sentence, but nothing came out of me, and neither my sisters’ gentle touch, her tender words or her hugs could calm my tortured heart or make my tears stop flowing. I felt my sister pull me to my feet and sat me down on something more comfortable, but to me it made no difference. I heard Gikwang and my sister exchange a few words but I couldn’t register what it was they were talking about. My mind was busy trying to suppress the thoughts of possible upcoming events and thinking that Yoseob was just in a fever shock or something. He was still young, everything was fine, and he was going to be alright.

“Do you know what Yoseob always does to cheer me up when I’m feeling down, Taeyeon-ah?” Gikwang suddenly asked after an eternity of only hearing my crying. The unexpected sound made me look up at him with my red eyes I shook my head as an answer to his question. “I’ll show you then, give me your hand,” Gikwang said and from somewhere he conjured up a pen. I slowly put my hand in Gikwang’s and he gently pulled my sleeve up. He took the cap of the pen and was about to put it to my arm. “May I?” Nothing he did would make this situation worse, so why not? I nodded once and he put the pen my forearm and drew a line. The line soon developed to more and a drawing took form on my skin.

“There,” Gikwang said as he finished his creation and put the lid back onto the pen. I fought to hold my tears back and focus on something else than Yoseob. I tilted my head while sniffling watching the little drawing on my arm.

“It’s… it’s terrible,” I said honestly while sobbing. I felt my sister place an elbow in my side, but this was not the time to try to raise me. Gikwang on the other hand gave a short and dry laugh.

“I know, and still it’s better than Yoseob’s,” he said, pulled up his sleeve and exposed the blurry drawing on his own arm with a minimal smile. I reached out my hand and gently touched the ink on his arm and I think there might have been a smile noticeable on my lips.

“You’re right. This one is way worse,” I admitted and a cracked laugh escaped through my tears.

“What is it supposed to be?”

“I’m not sure, but I think it’s a dog…”

“Why does he do it, if he’s so bad I mean,” I asked and rubbed my eyes.

“Because I want him to, and he knows that it makes me feel better.”

“It’s a lovely tradition, how did it start?” I asked, using my little amount of curiosity to keep my mind occupied.

“That’s how we met…” Gikwang was interrupted when a man and a woman came running around a corner. Yoseob’s parents.

“Gikwang!” his father called. Gikwang got up and bowed quickly. “How is my boy?”

“We don’t know, there is no news yet,” Gikwang said regretfully. Yoseob’s mother sat down beside me and gave me a tender look. She gently wiped away a tear from my cheek even though it was rapidly replaced by a new one.

“It’s nice to see you again Taeyeon-ah,” she said with a small, sad smile. “Now, all we can do is wait.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

I know, I know, I'm slow. And this might not be my best chapter, but at least it was eventful, neh? (:
Furthermore, I'm a graduate nowadays so (hopefully) I will be able to update this story more often and I think I'll try finishing it by the end of this summer! :D
Tell me what you thought about the chappie, and I'll update even sooner ;)

Tinkerbell :)<3