R

Lover Be Strong

I've been absent for a while, but now I'm back with an update. I'll give you a short recap, since you all probably forgot the entire story already... 

There has mostly been fluff anf lovey dovey moments, although I think you're all feeling that something bad is about to happen ~
Taeyeon works a lot and she keeps getting more and more tired. 
Last chapter ended with her fainting and Gikwang called Yoseob to tell him that something is wrong with Taeyeon, hence Yoseob is already on his way to her. 

 

 

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

Be strong Taeyeon, you have to be strong. Hang in there, I’ll be right next to you in a moment.

“Let me in!” I yelled at the nurse.

“I’m sorry, Yoseob-ssi, you will have to wait.” Of course the nurse knew me…

“I have to get inside, you have to tell me what’s wrong with her!”

“Sit down and wait, the doctors are doing their best, you should know that,” the nurse said and walked away, leaving me alone in the corridor outside Taeyeon’s locked room. Be strong Taeyeon, you have to be strong. This is not the way it’s supposed to be, it should be me lying in there. You’re supposed to be the healthy one, be strong for me Taeyeon-ah.

 

 

TAEYEON’S POV

I opened my eyes and stared with a blurry sight at the people around me.

“She’s awake!” They were checking my pulse and my blood pressure and everywhere machines were beeping and chaos seemed to rule wherever I looked.

“Taeyeon?” Omma? I felt someone grab my hand and I slowly turned my head. She was crying.

“Omma, what’s wrong?” I asked worriedly in a hoarse voice. She smiled through her tears.

“Stupid girl!”

 

 

I woke up as the first rays of sun hit me in the face. I blinked a few times and looked around. My brain was filled with fuzzy confusion. Where was I? My eyes fell on my mother’s head resting on the blanket that was covering me. She was sitting on a chair and the position she was in looked awfully uncomfortable, but I didn’t want to wake her up. I finally realized that I was in a hospital when I noticed the plaster on my hand which attached the tube to the needle that was attached to the back of my hand, and I suddenly remembered the panic from last night when I had felt my consciousness escape me. I covered my face with my hands and whimpered quietly into them. So stupid! My omma would kill me. My sister would definitely kill me! Yoseob would… I wished Yoseob was there…

 

 

After lying awake by myself, philosophising, the door opened and a nurse silently entered the room.

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

When the doctors had given me permission to enter the room I opened the door as quiet as possible. Her mother was sitting next to the bed looking at Taeyeon without moving a muscle. I closed the door again and sat back down on the floor with my legs crossed. I was still a secret, I didn’t want to cause a scene by suddenly entering the room without being able to say what my relation to Taeyeon was. Her mother might think I am a stalker, nice first impression… I looked inside the room every five (or maybe every) minutes to check if there were any changes. The only change was her mother slowly falling asleep next to her daughter, keeping her hand in a firm grip. Right before dawn Taeyeon’s omma fell asleep and I was on the verge of stepping inside the room, but what if Mrs omma woke up and a superduper blonde was sitting in the room, more like I was going to be curled up next to Taeyeon and hug her until my arms fell off. Her mother would think I was a creep and beat the crap out of me, with a purse… That’s not a good first impression either… An idea suddenly popped into my head and I closed the door. I jogged away with, almost, a smile on my face. I’m a genius!

 

 

The nurse looked at me sceptically as I spun around in front of her.

“How do I look?”

“I’m not sure this is such a good idea, Yoseob-ssi…” she said hesitantly.

“Aw, come on!” I groaned. “This is a perfect idea, flawless!” I said, proud of myself for coming up with such a good idea, all by myself. The nurse still looked sceptic.

“I don’t know…” she began.

“If you don’t tell on me, I won’t tell on you,” I said. She gave me a surprised look and I smirked triumphantly. “Oh, I know you talk to your boyfriend over the phone during your night shifts, what if Boss-Nurse knew…” I sadly shook my head.

“Fine,” the nurse grunted. “Go. But if you get into any trouble, I’m not the one who gave you the outfit!”

“Of course not, it was Grumpy-Old-Nurse who did it,” I said over my shoulder as I hurried back to Taeyeon’s room. It had almost been fifteen minutes since I had checked on her last time. Too long! I opened the door as soon as I reached it and inaudibly snuck into the room, true ninja style. The full coverage nurse outfit I had borrowed was going to keep me out of trouble id Taeyeon’s mother woke up and saw me. I closed the door and looked at Taeyeon. She was still asleep.

 

 

TAEYEON’S POV

I quickly closed my eyes as the nurse closed the door behind him. I had a feeling that I really wasn’t going to be able to handle any hospital staff right now. I was just going to pretend I was asleep. I heard the nurse walk up the window and pull the curtains close.

“Stupid, don’t they understand they she will wake up from the sunlight?” I recognized that mumbling voice. The nurse came closer and I felt him lift my hands and put them underneath the covers. Just as I started to feel rather comfortable with his presence a shiver went down my spine as he gently touched me cheek. Creeper much? “Waa, so pretty. Ah, chincha!” Yoseob!? After hearing that, I knew it was Yoseob, I was certain of it. I opened my eyes slightly and looked at him as he put on a worried frown and absentmindedly reached out for my hand. He softly played with my fingers. “Please, wake up, Taeyeon-ah.” He entangled our fingers and squeezed my hand, which automatically squeezed back. Yoseob snapped his head to look at my face. He almost looked scared staring into my tired eyes.

“Good morning,” I whispered with a weak smile playing on my lips.

“Awake. You’re awake,” he whispered. He bounced up and down and put his free hand over his mouth to prevent a scream to make its way out. He breathed heavily and fanned himself as he smiled widely at me. “So happy, so happy, I’m so happy! Don’t you ever do this to me, ever again!” He tried to look angry, but failed. I just silently looked at him. I was so happy to see him.

 

 

A few hours later my mother woke up from the bed shaking from my silent laughter as Yoseob showed me his drawing skills. If they can even be called “skills”…

“Taeyeon?” my mum said drowsily and looked at Yoseob. “Who are you…?”

“I’m her classmate,” Yoseob said before I had time to answer. I mentally facepalmed myself. That pabo had dressed up as a  nurse for nothing. My mother looked at him, from head to toe.

“… Why are you dressed like that?” she asked suspiciously. Yoseob just smiled.

“I’m very into cosplaying.” That dork, he didn’t really believe that my mother would get fooled that easily, did he? I glanced at my mother.

“It’s okay, I know him…” I mumbled. She nodded and gently my hand.

“I’ll go and get a nurse.

“Finally, we’re alone!” Yoseob cheered as my mum had closed the door behind her. He jumped onto my bed and lay flat down on his stomach by my feet. He leaned his head in his hands and looked at me without saying anything. I felt a bit awkward.

“… What?”

“This is all because you didn’t let me help you at work, isn’t it?” Yoseob asked. I didn’t answer. I hadn’t heard a professional statement yet, but my guess was the same as his. He crawled along my side, threateningly close to the edge, and lay next to me. “Don’t ever scare me like that again,” he said and kissed my cheek. I nodded shyly. The door opened and Yoseob was back in his chair with a disappointed pout on his face. He looked tormented at me and dramatically grabbed my hand as a doctor entered the room along with my mother. “The distance between us is too big,” Yoseob said before letting go of me, allowing the doctor to check… whatever he had to check.

“Yoseobbie, you’re less than a meter away,” I pointed out.

“Too far,” he whined childishly, but immediately composed his face and manners when he noticed the strange look my mother gave him. He smiled nervously and waved at her.

“Yah! Yoseob-ssi, what are you doing in here!?” A fat, angry nurse burst inside the room. I gave the both of them a surprised look. Did they know each other?

“My aunt,” Yoseob said in a low voice and made a face. “I’d better go.” No, don’t go! “I’ll be back before you know it,” he said with a wink before the nurse urged him out the door.

 

 

“I have to go,” my mother said reluctantly. “But I bet your sister will be right over when I get home to take care of the kids.” I nodded.

“I’ll be fine,” I assured her. If I was lucky Yoseob would find his way back here so I wouldn’t be alone for too long…

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

I got yelled at by Fat-Nurse for molesting the other patients, but after seeing Taeyeon… It was totally worth it! also, I was definitely planning on leaving this room as soon as Fat-Nurse was done with this lecture and left me alone.

“Now, stay here, I have to go and check on the other patients,” Fat-Nurse said to me, as if I was a dog. ‘I am a free man, I’ll do whatever I want!’ I didn’t say that, though, because it would ruin my chances of getting back to Taeyeon’s room. The nurse would probably chain me to my bed… Then I’d just have to bring the entire bad! But, I’m not that strong… “Is that clear!?”

“Yes, ma’am,” I said with a salute, but without a clue of what was supposed to be clear. Fat-Nurse left the room and I impatiently waited a few minutes before daring to open the door and sneak out. I probably was a ninja in my last life, I came down to Taeyeon’s room without getting noticed or wake any suspicions, like a professional… I chuckled proudly to myself as I opened the door and smiled at Taeyeon who looked at me when I entered. I looked around the room; it seemed empty.

“Where’s your mum?” I asked and happily sat down on the bed next to Taeyeon.

“She had to go home,” she answered with a small shrug. I cuddled closer to her.

“Finally, some alone time,” I whispered. She blushed and looked away. “What did the doctors say?” I asked and turned serious. Rather than anything else I wanted her to say: exhaustion, nothing that was incurable. She looked down.

Exhaustion,” she said quietly and, however terrible it might sound, I was relieved. I smiled slightly.

“Well, you brought that upon yourself,” I said in a teasing tone. She glanced at me and I could see in her eyes that she wasn’t finished, she was going to add something… I felt the smile evaporate from my face and a cold lump formed in my stomach. “Is there… something else?” I asked and wetted my lips.

“They just said that… I’m underweight and I’m suffering from a light malnutrition…” She refused to look at me. I took a deep breath, put one hand on her cheek and forced her to face me. She pushed my hand away and looked at the blanket covering her.

“Why won’t you look at me?” I asked, trying not to feel offended.

“I’m so ashamed,” she mumbled.

“Ashamed?” I could not believe my ears. “Ashamed of what exactly?” After all she had been through and after all her fighting, how could she possibly feel ashamed?

“I feel weak.” She looked up at the ceiling.

“You’re not weak,” I protested, knowing that she was speaking nonsense. She sighed.

“Maybe not, but that’s how I feel. My sister can pull off handling both work and school, my mother takes care of three small children and everything that needs to be done at home, and my father is fighting for his life. What do I do? I faint after a few weeks of working.” She shook her head and hid her face in her hands. “Now I’m just another burden. Lying here in this bed, costing a fortune.”

“Yah, Taeyeon-ah,” I said softly. I reached out a hand and removed her hands from her face. She tried to hide herself behind her hair, but I could still see her. She was crying. Her tears cut me like a knife and I grabbed her hands. “Look at me, Taeyeon-ah.” She turned towards me but kept her head lowered. I tilted her face upwards by cupping her cheek. I wiped away ne of her tears with my thumb and smiled at her. “You’re not weak Taeyeon, and you’re not a burden to your family! I know that they prefer that you’re in here, safe and healthy, and not out there working your soul out of your body.”

“Well…” she mumbled.

“Listen to me,” I said and locked my eyes on hers. “They wouldn’t sell your health for any money in this world. They’d rather see you healthy than have your salary delivered every month, and you know that.” I smiled at her and she replied it with a tearful smile. She let out a broken laugh.

“I’ve never seen you this serious during such a long time before,” she said. I rolled my eyes.

“Pabo, you totally ruined the moment,” I said lovingly and gently kissed her cheek. She smiled.

“I know.” She carefully started to sit up straight in the bed and I helped her the best I could and placed a pillow behind her back. She cleared . “Now, entertain me.”

 

 

Almost an hour past and I was curled up next to Taeyeon; talking, telling stories, and goofing around. There was a constant smile on her face and I intended to keep things that way. I was in the middle of a joke when the door to the room suddenly flew open and Taeyeon and I simultaneously turned our heads to see what was going on. Ah, chincha, so noisy… I watched Taeyeon’s sister as she abruptly stopped in her tracks as Taeyeon and I came in sight. Gikwang bumped into her from behind, making her lose her balance, but of course he caught her before she fell flat on her face. I smiled at them.

“What’s with the noise hyung? It would have been enough if you had just knocked.” I waved happily and greeted Taeyeon’s sister. She didn’t answer and just stared at me. Well, if I had been her I’d been confused too. A happy Taeyeon in a hospital bed. A happy me in Taeyeon’s hospital bed. Shocking really. Gikwang on the other hand was les surprised.

“Yoseob,” he began and I knew what was coming. “Has she gotten enough rest? you’re not troubling her, right?” he asked warningly. I sighed inwardly.

“I don’t think Taeyeon has had enough rest for quite a while, but she would still let me know if I was a pain. She’s strong,” I stated. I gave Taeyeon a meaning look. “Aren’t you?”

“I am,” she said with a warm smile and nodded. Before I had time to blink Taeyeon’s sister had engulfed the younger girl in a tight embrace. I thought she might need it and let her be, but after watching them for a while I felt concerned about Taeyeon’s health. I called the sister’s name.

“Noona! You’re suffocating her!” I tore Taeyeon out of her grip and Taeyeon inhaled deeply.

“Sorry…” Her sister scratched her head. I couldn’t blame her, I knew the relief she felt. If no one had stopped me in time I would probably had done the same. I imagined the scenario. It would be much more romantic though… My thoughts were interrupted when Gikwang put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him.

“Come on, let’s give them a moment alone,” he said and gave me a meaning look. I groaned and reluctantly left Taeyeon’s side and stood up. Gikwang grabbed my arm and started dragging me towards the door. I looked back at Taeyeon.

“I’ll be right back, okay Taeyeon-ah? She won’t eat you alive, right?” I glanced worriedly at her sister, who had just been thiiis close to strangling Taeyeon just one moment ago. “I’ll be right outside if you need me, I’ll be back in a moment. Don’t… hmpf.” Gikwang covered my mouth with one hand, tossed me out of the room and closed the door behind him. I glared at him. “Yah, hyung, you didn’t even let me finish,” I said accusingly.

“I think they got the message, I should have shut you up earlier…”

“Chincha…”

 

 

I put my forehead on Gikwang’s knees.

“For how long are they going to talk?” I whined and faked a few sobs. Gikwang sighed.

“You’re unbelievable! It’s been 16seconds since I closed the door and you’re already complaining?” He leaned his head against the wall behind him with another sigh. “Tell me again why I’m friends with you.” I looked up at him from the floor and tilted my head with a smile.

“Because I’m cute,” I said simply. He rolled his eyes.

“That must be the only reason.”

 

 

TAEYEON’S POV

My sister had a serious talk with me. She even asked me if I had been starving myself on purpose. In this situation I certainly don’t have to! She stood up.

“I’ll be right back, I’m going to make a few phone calls.”

“Could you please ask Yoseob if he can come back in?” I asked quietly. My sister gave me a weird look, and I understood her. She didn’t know about him and me, yet.

“Sure.” Right after my sister left the room Yoseob ran inside with the speed of light. He crawled up to me in the bed and gently my cheek.

“I missed you. Was she nice to you?” He sat up. “I can go ninja on her if she’s mean.” He sprung to his feet and showed off his ninja skills. Impressive…

 

 

Yoseob was still trying to convince me that ha had all the qualifications to be a real ninja when the door opened and my sister returned. I looked at her, and seeing the dark look on his face I felt my smile fade away. Kill me if I’m wrong, and my sister doesn’t before you do, she knew about the school. Yoseob looked from her face to mine and back to hers again.

“Noona, you’re scaring me. Did something happen?” he asked. She ignored him completely.

“You know, Taeyeon, that hospital bill never turned up. Do you know what happened to it? I’m starting to think that someone else already paid it. Was it you? Where did you get the money from? Was it the salary as a cleaner that made it able for you to pay the bill? No, that couldn’t be enough. Then maybe, the school fee you got back when you dropped out of high school?” She spat the last words in my face. I felt my eyes start to tear up.

“I-I…” I didn’t know what to say. She started to walk closer to me as she continued questioning me about the money. I felt like my tears were going to spill over any minute. She got closer as she scolded me and stuck in this bed, I had nowhere to go. Suddenly Yoseob sprung to his feet.

“Noona, stop it!” He grabbed my sister’s shoulders. “What has gotten into you? Don’t you see that she has done it for you? For you and for the rest of your family. She has sacrificed so much. By giving up her education she has sacrificed both her youth and her future. She’ll never be able to live her high school years like every other teenager. She gave it up to work two jobs a day so that your family would be better off. And with no education, what future will she have? She has done all this for you, and you dare to come here and accuse her for throwing away the money. You, you of all people, should know that Taeyeon would never do such a thing. Don’t you know your own sister!?”

“How can she just give up her future like that!?” my sister blurted.

“Because she loves you!” Yoseob said loudly. I just silently looked at the scene in front of me as tears streamed down my cheeks. Yoseob made my actions sound so… heroic. My sister sank down on her knees with her face hidden in her hands. The room was quiet after all the yelling and I think we all listened to my sister’s uneven breaths. She sighed deeply before finally standing up and she gave me a glance before looking away.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. Make sure you get some rest and getter soon so we can get you out of here, along with dad.” She walked out the door and Gikwang gave me a comforting smile and patted my head before following her outside. I wiped my tears away.

“She hates me,” I said quietly.

“No, she doesn’t.” Yoseob crawled down beside me underneath the covers. “She’s just worried, that’s how people react when they’re worried, they yell,” Yoseob said with a smile and took one of my hands in his. I smiled and thought of that time when my sister yelled at the twin brothers for climbing on the railing on the balcony, and afterwards she had felt so bad that I thought she was going to cry and hug the boys to death, just like she had done with me.

“She was scared,” I said. Yoseob nodded.

“She cares.”

“I know.” We lay quiet for a while.

“I think I’ll go outside and see if she’s still here, I think she might need to be calmed down. Not that I doubt that Mr Cool himself could handle it…”

“Go and check on her, report to me how she is.” I smiled as he left the room, looking back at me every second step he took. “I’ll be here when you get back,” I assured him. Where could I possibly go?

“Get some sleep,” he said softly and then mumbled to himself, and I’m uncertain if it was meant for me to heart. “Let’s hunt some demon.”

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

I lay flat on my stomach on the floor in front of Gikwang and Taeyeon’s sister. They were both staring at the wall on the opposite side of the corridor.

“That’s one interesting wall you have there,” I stated in a peppy voice. She looked at me and gave me an embarrassed smile.

“Yeah, it’s the wall shame… Is she okay?” The tone in her voice immediately changed into worry as she asked about her younger sister.

“Yeah, she’s fine. I told her to get some sleep while I talk to you and make sure the demon has left your body.” I beamed at her but she didn’t find my joke as funny as I did. Laugh at me, I’m funny!

“Was I really that bad?” she asked tormented. I shrugged with a confirming nod.

“Pretty much.”

“Yoseob!” Gikwang snapped warningly at me and sent me a death glare.

“What?” I was just being honest. I rolled over to my back and placed my hands comfortably behind my head. “Just telling the truth. I’m not saying it was a bad thing though, Taeyeon needed to hear that you care. And actually, I think she is feeling a bit relieved. I know how hard it has been for her to keep this a secret from you.” She looked at me wide eyed.

“You knew?” she asked surprised.

“Mm.” I suddenly remembered again that she didn’t know of our… relationship. “She made me keep it a secret…” But I couldn’t back out now, I’d just have to keep it simple. “She literally begged me not to tell you, or anyone else, but you in particular.” Way to go Yoseob, that’s not revealing at all… “She didn’t want people to get worried.” I sighed and stared up at the ceiling, knowing that my feelings for Taeyeon probably was showing as clearly on my face as if someone had printed it on my shirt and told them out. I thought of Taeyeon. “If she could choose she would be invisible to the world. The only thing proving her existence is everything she does for everyone else to be happy.”

 

 

I could feel Taeyeon’s sister look at me intensively as Gikwang helped her to her feet. She wasn’t dumb, she knew something was up. We locked eyes for a few seconds before I fired her a wide smile.

“Annyeong noona, until we meet again,” I said and bowed. I looked after Gikwang and noona as they walked away from me. They made a perfect match… not as perfect as Taeyeon and I though! I glanced back at the door to Taeyeon’s room and hesitantly put my hand on the door knob. Maybe it was time now…? I quickly made my decision, let go of the handle and hurried back to my room. This was going to be awesome!

 

 

I softly knocked on Taeyeon’s door.

“Come in.” Her sweet voice sang from inside. I opened the door and beamed at her. “Yoseobbie,” she said with a smile and scooched to one side of the bed to make room for me beside her. With my hands behind my back I walked up to the bed and sat down beside her, my legs crossed and my body facing her. She gave me an intrigued look. I just smiled secretively at her.

“Taeyeon-ah, do you like surprises?” u asked cryptically. She nodded in response. “Of course you do, who doesn’t? Here, it’s for you.” I placed my hands in her lap and revealed the item that had been hidden behind my back. Taeyeon gasped and put one hand to her chest. She looked at me with big eyes. “I wanted you to have this. I put new memories in it, better memories…”

“You shouldn’t have…” Taeyeon began with a shaky voice. I shook my head.

“But I wanted to. Open it,” I urged her and pushed the brown leather bound book towards her. She the cover with her fingers, just like she had when we were at the fair. I bounced up and down on the bed and shook her leg. “Open it,” I whined. Without a word, or a single reaction to my weird and childish behaviour, Taeyeon opened the notebook. Finally she cracked a smile.

“You look so cute.” She touched the photo of me being extraordinary adorable and giggled. I purred from her praise. I pointed at me failed attempt to write neatly.

“Read it,” I whispered.

If I’m not cute, why are you smiling?” she whispered and smiled at the book. She let her fingers linger on my words before carefully turning the page over. I scotched closer and looked over her shoulder.

“This is the receipt from the first time we had ice cream, this is the business card from that place where we had noodles. And this, oh… that’s a stain from the ice cream I was eating when I was doing this.” I scratched my nose awkwardly. “It started melting while I was looking at the picture on the following side.” I hid beneath the covers as Taeyeon switched pages. I couldn’t see the picture, but I knew it as well as I knew the back of my hand, the image was so clear in my head. It was a photo of Taeyeon that I had taken secretly with my phone when she was sleeping in the arm chair at her cleaning job. I had put in a few (a lot) of secret snapshots I had taken during the time we had known each other. I could hear Taeyeon flip through the pages. After a while I heard the book close and Taeyeon lifted the blanket to crawl down beside me in the dark. We lay quiet for a while.

“So, did you like it?” I asked with a hopeful smile. I wasn’t sure she could see it in the darkness though. She let out a broken laugh.

“If I liked it?” I stiffened at the sound of her voice and I immediately pulled the blanket away from our faces. I stared at her faces with terrified eyes.

“Taeyeon-ah, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” I put my hand to her face and wiped away a tear. She smiled at me.

“Silly Yoseobbie.” She snuggled close to me and buried her face in my chest. “I love it, it’s the most wonderful, beautiful and meaningful gift someone has ever given to me. Thank you so much.” I smiled into her hair and put my arms around her. Next time she cries happy tears she has to warn me…

“You don’t have to thank me, you just have to help me fill the rest of the pages.