Chapter Twenty Six

Forbidden Love

Author’s POV

 

It was four in the afternoon when Jessica decided to head to the nearby mall to by something. She didn’t bother to ask Taeyeon to accompany her. Not that she didn’t want to because you know how she badly want to stick herself around her, but because the following day’s the latter’s birthday and she just want to surprise her with a gift.

Although the mall was packed and there were some people who walk as if they own the place and don’t seemed to know that there were also other people around them, Jessica still managed to keep her cool and wear a smile on her face, crooked smile though.

“What should I buy? Will she like this one? No, it looks cheap. A picture frame, seriously Jessica? How about this?? Those?? That!? UGH!”

Although frustrated that she couldn’t think of something nice to give to her girl, she still calmed herself by in a lungful of breath. She just can’t lose her patience. Again, she asked her brain to function.

“What gift should I buy for her? What does she like? Think, Jessica.” She told herself.

She racked her brain for a few more minutes before finally having to land off with an idea she thought was great. EARPHONES. Well, you may think it isn’t the best gift, atleast, the most ideal gift to give to your special someone, but for her, it was. 

Clicking her thumb and her middle finger together, she went inside a music store where she could buy earphones for her Taengoo. Of course, she thought Taeyeon would love it as she know the latter have had just broken her earpiece a few days ago. It wasn’t really Taeyeon’s fault, but it was her fault actually so she kind of felt guilty about it. More than that, she wanted to buy that brand for Taeyeon for she know that the latter was saving money to purchase it, eager on buying one. It was kind of expensive for Taeyeon but as for Jessica, it is not.

 

“Excuse me, I’m going to take this one.”

 

She bought it and have it packed in a baby blue paper bag, Taeyeon’s color. She wandered her feet around the mall for a few more hours, looking for something to buy for herself but it was already getting even more packed so she decided to head back home, still, with a wide smile on her face. She’s just happy and excited.

She went straight into her room, laid her body on her bed and took a good nap. When she opened her eyes, it was already evening. She reached out for her phone on the table next to her and found ten or more messages from Taeyeon as well as for missed calls. She freaked out and hissed under her breath.

 

From Tae: Can I see you?

Hey, are you busy?

I miss you..

Why aren’t you replying back? Sure you’re fine, right?

Baby……

Are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong?

Sorry…if ever I did something wrong.

Yohooo!...

 

She mentally hit herself, no no no, scratch that. She hit herself literally and wanted to bury herself in her bed for having to wake up just now. That was supposed to be only a nap. If it wasn’t because of her alarm clock, she would have woken up tomorrow morning. And Jessica find it weird, actually. She did heard her clock alarmed, but wasn’t able to hear her phone rang.

 

Weird.

 

Quickly, she jabbed on Taeyeon’s phone number and gave her a call.

“Taengoo~~” she cooed over the phone. “I’m sorry…I’ve slept.”

“It’s okay.. I thought you’re mad. Have you had dinner already?” Taeyeon asked softly.

“I did, hours ago. I miss you…” A pair of pink lips pouted as she made a few ups and downs on her bed. And right, she misses her lover, so much that it makes her go nuts. Who doesn’t when you’re madly in love, right? And yes again, she had slept for hours, three hours to be exact. Mind you, that was her nap.

“I miss you too.. Do you want me to come over to your place then?”

Jessica looked up at the clock on her bedroom wall and her face frowned upon seeing the time. 11:08pm. “I’d like to but it’s too late now, Taengoo.. Too risky.”

“Not really.. I can catch a cab for a safer ride, anyway.”

“No…I don’t want your parents to hate me. You get some rest instead…”

“But I want to see you….“

“Tomorrow, okay?”

“Alright..anything you say, baby.”

Jessica felt color swamp on her cheeks and found herself grinning. She does, every time the latter calls her ‘baby’, especially with all those sweet talks.

“Then….” The latter spoke again after a few seconds of silence. “…can you just go outside for a while and look at the stars?”

She frowned, confused. Ideas started to hit her head. “Why? What’s with the stars?”

“I’ll tell you when you get outside. Please?”

 

Wondering even more, she obeyed her lover and went outside. She gazed at the stars above her and the next thing she knew was she completely gawking at their beauty.

 

“They’re lovely, Taeyeon.”

“Indeed.”

 

Jessica didn’t know that Taeyeon, who she thought was in her parents’ house at that moment was actually hiding behind a tree across her flat, observing her as she looked at the stars. The latter was already on her way to her girl’s place when she phone called her as she worried a lot over her.

“Some of the stars have been burnt out for a very long time, did you know that?” Taeyeon told her, taking a good survey on her lover whose lips were twitching into a smile while her gaze on the stars above her. Taeyeon smiled too.

“Really? Then why do they still shine?” Jessica asked with such curiosity in her voice.

“Because once, they were so bright that their light is still travelling through space. Although they’re years dead already, we could still see them.”

“How can we tell which ones are dead and which ones are not?”

“We can’t. It’s pretty impossible. It’s a beautiful mystery, isn’t it?”

Jessica kept silent for seconds, then nodded. “It is. And I think they are the most beautiful thing in this world.”

“That, I disagree.”

“Why?”

“Because they didn’t even reached half of the beauty of the most beautiful thing in this world. And no matter how many times they blink up there, they won’t shine the way you do---“

Jessica chuckled under her breath as her smile grew even wider than before. She hung her head low to hide the overwhelmed emotion she just had by what Taeyeon was telling her. Just then, she decided to get inside which made Taeyeon to stop mid-sentence.

“Wait, don’t go in yet!”

“Are you….” Immediately, Jessica turned around and ran towards the gate, wandering her eyes to everywhere her gaze reached outside, searching for Taeyeon but to no avail. “Where are you?”

“Home.” Taeyeon lied.

“Liar. I know you’re here. Where are you hiding?” Jessica squinted her eyes and patiently waited for Taeyeon to answer back only to find out that the latter already hung up. “Ah, silly!” She whispered and began to head out of the gate.

She searched around the street but she didn’t catch a shadow of her silly girlfriend. Just as she was about to go back inside her flat and start to believe Taeyeon’s home, a pair of cold hands blocked her sight. Of course, that made her let out her dolphin-like scream.

“Aaaaaayyyk!”

“Shhhhh…you might disturb everyone....” Taeyeon uncovered Jessica’s eyes and her girl lightly hit her on the chest after turning around to see her.

“How could you do that! You scared me!”

Taeyeon let her girlfriend do the thing for a few more seconds as she chuckled over her girlfriend’s cute face before she held her hand to stop her. “I didn’t mean to scare you. I’m sorry.”

“Whatever! You just did.” Jessica rolled her eyes and about to walk away when the latter pulled her until their faces were almost just an inch away. She’s actually not mad or something. She just did that as she knew Taeyeon would stop her. Girl thing, you get that?

“You’re going to walk away and leave me like that? After I made effort to see you? Sure that hurts, right here.” Taeyeon said playfully in the fakest-hurt tone she could ever muster, pointing her left chest. She thought Jessica would buy it but she’s wrong. No, scratch that…she’s right, because the real thing was her girlfriend’s already giddy inside.

“I told you not to come, but you did.” Jessica said in a cold manner. “What if some bad guys blocked your way and just killed you out there without me, knowing? Don’t you know how painful for me that would be?? Taeyeon, crime is everywhere I hope you know that.” She heaved a deep sigh and started to avoid Taeyeon’s gaze. This time, she mean it. She would never endure the pain if ever something bad happens to Taeyeon because of her.

“I want to see you before I go to sleep that is all.” Taeyeon smiled hesitantly, trying to balance her girlfriend’s mood. “I’m sorry. This won’t happen again.” She gave her a look of assurance and tried to meet her eyes but to no avail as Jessica’s eyes were stuck elsewhere. With that, the two stayed silent for a moment then Taeyeon decided to break it.

“Are we gonna stay like this?” Taeyeon asked. She heaved a sigh when she heard no response from the latter and decided to just take her leave. “Alright, you go inside now and get some rest. I’ll head back home.”

Just then, the latter broke her silence. “I hate you..." Jessica said as she pouted her lips slightly.

It's not like she really hates Taeyeon.  What she meant is she hates Taeyeon for not even trying to woo her.

"But I love you..." Taeyeon held her hand tenderly. “And I missed you, baby.” She pulled her close in her embrace.

“I missed you too, silly!” Jessica pinched Taeyeon’s nose after they pulled away from each other's grip. “Come on, let’s go inside. It’s too cold here.”

Just as Jessica pulled Taeyeon ahead, the petite girl stopped her from doing so. “Wait…I haven’t finished yet what I was telling you a few minutes ago.”

Jessica tilted her head to the side, curious. “Alright?"

Taeyeon cleared , looked at the stars and placed her gaze on the girl in front of her. “Do you know the magic behind shooting stars?”

Jessica frowned. “No…”

“When a star falls down from the sky, it means that an angel will grant our wishes. Sounds stupid, but I believe it’s true. Hear me out first as I prove to you why before you laugh.” Taeyeon said when her girlfriend was about to laugh. Jessica nodded.

“Months ago, I saw a shooting star. So I wished. Do you know what I’ve wished for?”

Jessica stayed silent for seconds as she squinted her eyes to her. “I do.”

“Then, can you please pretend that you don’t.” Jessica chuckled and so as her, their laughs were echoing the entire street. Then Taeyeon held her gaze on her, making the latter refrain from chuckling.

“When I was young, I thought the most beautiful thing in the world are the stars and the night time was the best time ever. I thought nothing would ever compare to the fun I was feeling as I look at the stars at night on the way home on the bus. I thought they would always be that one thing that would give me such strength every time I go home tired and exhausted. For twenty one years and ten months, I thought I knew already what happiness means.” Taeyeon chuckled through her nose. On the hand, the latter was all ears. “Should I continue?” she asked. Jessica nodded. Taeyeon widened her smile.

“Then, I met someone two months ago. She made me realize how wrong I was.”

She paused for seconds, without withdrawing her gaze on the latter.

“The most beautiful thing in the world are not the stars, but her. The best time ever is not night time, neither it is day time. The best is when I am with her. You know, I’ve realized that gazing at the stars on the bus heading back home is boring, it doesn’t even uplift my tired soul. Not at all. Thinking about her as I close my eyes does. One thing I’ll never get tired of doing. Lastly, happiness is her. And that happiness is everything for me.”

Taeyeon tried to brush away the tears that were trickling down her girlfriend’s face after she finished off what she wanted to say, but as she did, a tear came flowing after. It couldn’t stop. Jessica just couldn’t stop herself from crying. She’s too overwhelmed, and really felt Taeyeon’s sincere love that made her clung herself in the latter, tight.

The latter almost missed her balance by the sudden clinging. Her smile got even wider. “I haven’t told you yet who she is…”

Jessica just tightened her grip onto the latter even more, not planning on pulling away. “I hate you…..” she told Taeyeon and hit her on the back with no great force.

Taeyeon frowned, confused. “Why?”

“Because every day, I have to adjust. Because every day, you make me fall for you even more.” She pulled away and slightly pushed the petite girl’s shoulder. “You are so greedy, Taengoo….”

“Why am I greedy??” Taeyeon furrowed her brows even more in confusion.

“You want to take all the parts of my heart, leaving no space for others. Isn’t that greedy?” Taeyeon stayed silent. “But I don’t care…because it’s you. I’m not really vocal about this, but I want you to know how happy and thankful I am that in millions of strangers in this world that could have made my heart beat, God made it beat for you. I love you Taeyeon and I promise to be braver for you.”

Hearing that from the girl she’s in love with, Taeyeon’s heartbeat couldn’t stop from beating wildly in bliss. She tightly wrapped her arms around her, trying to say how much she loves her by her grip. 

 

-----

TBC.