The Playground Incident

Teach Me To Love Again

You were shifting through your papers as the clock ticked slowly, just passing the time as the children read their books until the bell would ring, signaling it would be time for their recess. You glanced up to make sure they were doing as told, smiling at the young girl in the front middle row by the name of Mi Sung sat there with her head tilted and her tongue sticking slightly out and her brow furrowed in thought. As a teacher, you knew having favorites was wrong, but you couldn’t help but like her more than the others. She never gave you trouble and you could definitely state that you adored her immensely. You chuckled to yourself, thinking to your encounter with her father the other day when you stayed late with her. Her father, Jung Yunho, had to be the most confusing man you’ve ever met. You knew about his job and had heard plenty of stories about the amazing ‘Jung Detective’. There were rumors that he had an in with the criminals, meaning he could easily access information on their whereabouts. It was said that he was cold and calculated at work, doing nothing but his best to keep the streets of Seoul safe, but… the man you knew, the one you had met numerous times didn’t seem to fit the bill. The Yunho you knew was kind and extremely cared about his daughter, willing to risk anything to keep her safe. He was softhearted and didn’t expect charity from anyone, no matter how much he did. He always asked to pay you for your efforts when you stayed late with Mi Sung, but you had always refused. Jung Yunho seemed to be way different from the famous ‘U-Know’. You jerked in shock as the bell suddenly rang and the kids all cheered, closing their books and sticking them in their desks before racing to line up at the door, waiting there for you. Mi Sung walked over and smiled up at you as you stood, walking towards the front with her in tow. You chuckled and took her hand as you opened the door and began leading the children to the playground, letting them file out onto the schoolyard with the other classes that had somehow already got out there. Mi Sung followed closely to you as you went to sit on a bench by yourself, choosing to sit away from the gossiping teachers.

“Miss ______, what do you think of my appa?” she blinked widely up at you, an angelic smile on her face. You looked in shock as she had spoke of the man that had been haunting your thoughts more recently, as if she had known your thoughts had begun trailing frequently.

“Your appa? Mr. Jung?” you asked, trying to play innocent and feeling rather ridiculous for doing so to a mere first grader.

“Miss _____, didn’t appa tell you to call him by Yunho?” she tilted her head curiously, giggling.

“A-Ah… Yunho,” you kept the blush from gracing your face as the name rolled off of your tongue, “Mr. Ju- I mean Yunho is quite the caring father and a good man, why?”

“No reason~” she giggled and let your hand go, running off towards the sandbox to play with the other children there. You sighed softly and stared at your hands, your thoughts once again drifting to the handsome man dressed in black. You chuckled and shook your head, as if you were in his league in the first place. You were just a first grade teacher and he was this great figure of protection and outstanding ability, someone out of your reach in social class. You looked to the sandbox seeing a little boy talking to a flustered Mi Sung who was clutching a pail and shovel to her chest tightly. You stood up as the boy continued on, but was too far out of earshot to hear what he was saying to her. The boy reached up and grabbed onto Mi Sung’s pigtails, seeming to yell something before tugging them really hard. Mi Sung went tumbling forward, landing face-forward in the sand, the pail and shovel poking against her chest as sand went into her eyes. You heard the first wail of her cry before she was full on bawling. You quickly ran over to the sandbox as the other teachers stood up, alarmed at the crying child. You quickly picked her up, memorizing who did it before rushing her to the nurse’s office and pulling your cell-phone out, quickly calling her father’s work-number that had been programed in on your kid’s ICE contacts. It rang 4 times before you finally heard a gruff voice answer.

“Detective Jung speaking,” he said as soon as he answered.

“Yes, Mr. Jung? This is Miss _____, Mi Sung’s homeroom teacher,” you said rushed, biting your lower lip as the nurse began washing her eyes out.

“Miss ______?” you heard his voice change from the gruff tone to a more peppy one, but you figured it was just you hoping, “Ah~ What’s going on? Is anything wrong?”

“There was a incident on the playground just now, Mr. Jung,” you said softly, sitting beside Mi Sung on the bench as the nurse finished and now began to examine for wounds.

“Incident? Is Mi Sung all right? What happened? Is she hurt?” he asked quickly, worry lacing his voice. You were about to reply but he cut you off as you heard noise in the background, “I’m on route near there, I’ll be there in five minutes, Miss ______.” He hung up before you could tell him she was okay now, smiling and on a lollipop that the nurse had given her as a prize for being a good patient. She hopped from the bench as you stood up, grabbing her hand and leading her out the door as the bell rang. You squatted and smiled at her.

“Do you want me to walk you to class, Mi Sung? I have free period so I can~” you chuckled as she nodded excitedly tugging your hand in the direction of her next class. You walked her to the door, ruffling her hand before letting her go in and making your way to your room once more. You had barely sat down to get your stuff ready for lunch when Yunho came running into your room.

“Where is she!?” he was slightly out of breath and had begun sweating across his forehead from running, or at least you assumed.

“She’s in class now, Mr. Jung,” you replied sweetly, taking the papers on your desk and filing them before gathering your keys and phone to put inside your purse, “If you would have waited a second and let me talk, I could have explained that to you.”

“Oh…” he coughed and looked around the room and then at you grabbing your purse, “You don’t have a class right now?” You chuckled softly and shook your head, walking towards the door, “Where are you going right now?”

“It’s my lunch break so I had planned to go get something to eat,” you smiled and nodded towards the door, leading him out and locking up.

“Ah… Um…” he cleared his throat and smiled softly and walked towards the parking lot with you, opening the door, “Well, I’m actually do for my lunch break right now… do you want to go get something… together I mean?”