Flash Backs Only Cause Heartache

Teach Me To Love Again

Yunho sighed as he held his badge up, clocking out and heading to his car. Another day gone by without seeing his daughter but he had something to look forward to. It was Friday, which meant he was heading to pick her up from school. He grew a soft smile as his daughter came into mind. She had her mother’s eyes and hair, but his smile. His thoughts drifted to his ex-fiancé and he began to become sad. He missed the way she would greet him in the morning with breakfast and that killer smile of hers. He missed lying beside her at night and thanking the heavens that he had found someone who understood him. He missed being able to tell her anything. He missed the way she knew him better than himself and knew just what to say. He missed her and the more he saw his daughter, the more his heart felt empty. He felt incomplete without her by his side and the day she died was permanently burned into his brain.

 

            “Her hearts failing! We need the de-fib unit!”

Doctors were rushing everywhere and Yunho looked on in confusion. One minute he was holding his fiancé’s hand and the next she was ripped from his grasp.

“Sir, we need to back away!”

Yunho yelled, asking what was going on but no one was providing answers. He fought against the doctors to get to her side, seeing her eyes quickly becoming lifeless. He heard the cry of a baby but his sight was on his soon-to-be wife. He vaguely heard the doctors call for security and he felt rough hands on his arms, ripping him away. He fought as hard as he could but was no match for the three men it took to take him out the door. Tears streamed down his face as he looked from the window, seeing her eyes shuffle just enough to look at him. She smiled and he felt his heart begin to tear. She mouthed ‘I Love You’ and his tears began falling harder. He saw her eyes close and heard the machine flat line, a long drawn out shrill that sent his heart in frenzy. He hit the window as the doctors hung their heads and a nurse came out. She wasn’t smiling but her touch was gently as she held the new-born baby girl. Yunho glared at the floor and turned his back from the child. The nurse pleaded with him, saying everything would be fine, but what did she know?

 

He frowned upon his actions that day, but he would not regret them. If he hadn’t of done what he did, felt what he did, and said what he did, he would never had met the man that would make such a big impact on his life.

 

            “I want nothing to do with her!”

            “Sir, please und…”

            “No, you understand! That… that thing is a monster!”

            “She’s a child!”

“She killed my wife! I will never look at that thing with anything but revulsion.”

Changmin had enough of this man’s insults. The beautiful baby was nothing but an innocent child and to have someone such as this man throwing malicious slurs made Changmin sick of humanity. He walked up and waved the nurse off, telling her he would take care of it.

“You’re a sick human being.”

“She is a monster.”

“What would you ‘wife’ say if she heard you saying that about her child?”

“My wife is dead!”

“Doesn’t mean you need to become a ing ! Your wife died, who else is going to raise that child!? Who is going to teach it right from wrong?! Who is going to hold her when she has nightmares!? Who is going to have to be the one to tell her that her mother died and her father is a no-good coward!?”

“Don’t talk to me like…”

“Shut the up and listen here, big shot. That child is your daughter. She has your genes, your blood, and your features. She is the last living connection to your late wife, don’t you dare ing do this to her. Don’t you dare ing take out your anger and mourning on her! She’s a child, and you are her father… start acting like it. Or so help me I will skin you alive and make a ing man out of you, do you understand me?”

 

Yunho smiled at the memory, remember how much he had despised Changmin but then ended up with him being his closest friend. He hadn’t known of Changmin’s endeavors at the time and when he found out he was much less than happy, his initial cop instincts kicking in. He eventually came around when Changmin saved his daughter’s life from their burning apartment. He had gone down to get the mail as he was cooking dinner when a towel caught on fire. The flames quickly spread before he could get inside. He felt his heart ripping into shreds at the thought of losing his precious baby girl and next thing he knew Changmin dashed past him, going through the side window. He waited for what seemed like hours before the firemen showed up. As soon as they knocked the front door down, out comes Changmin, clutching the precious bundle to his chest.

Yunho shook his head to clear his thoughts as he started his car, beginning the route to his daughter’s school. As he pulled into the parking lot he jumped out, seeing his little girl tug on her teacher’s dress before running towards him. He smiled wider and held his arms out, picking her up and hugging her tightly as the teacher walked over.

“Thank you for staying after with her, Ma’am,” he said to the woman. She was as tall as his shoulder with beautiful hair and a heart-warming smile.

“No problem, Mr. Jung, I know you get off late and I don’t mind staying with her,” she smiled and he noted it reached her eyes as she looked at his daughter, “She is a precious doll, Mr. Jung. You’ve raised her really well.”

“Please, I asked you to call me Yunho,” he smiled back at her, noticing a gleam in her eyes that he hadn’t before. He suddenly found himself nervous in front of the young schoolteacher, puzzled as to why his heart was beating so fast at her laughter.

“Alright, Yunho,” she nodded and smiled once more at his daughter, “Anyway, I have papers to grade so I shall be taking my leave. It was really nice to see you again, Yunho. Take care, Mi Sung!” He watched her turn around, making her way into the building. He glanced at his daughter to see her watching him.

“What?”

“Do you like her?”

“Y-Your teacher?”

“Yes, do you like Miss ______?” He flushed at the question and mumbled under his breath, taking Mi Sung to his car and strapping her in her seat, “Well?”

“I am not discussing this with you, Mi Sung~”

“I think she likes you too, appa.”

“Ani~”