Japan

Lost at Sea || A ChangSoo One-Shot Collection

japan

 

Choi Sooyoung got into a few months before 2001 ended. A lively, bouncy girl with long limbs and lots of hair. Only a few hours after stepping into the SM building and she already named at least twenty-three trainees as friends.

Shim Changmin caused a stir the first day he walked through the trainee hall. He withered in front of the scrutinizing gazes of the other trainees as he made his way to the back of the room. It was during the two days after the start of spring in 2002. The same day of Choi Sooyoung’s first flight to Japan.

Chosen out of the thousand of girls who auditioned for the Korea-Japan Ultra Idol, Japan has been her home for almost a year. Learned a new language, made new friends. She was allowed to return every three months; spend a week with her family and friends before going back there again. Her trainee friends sent her prayers and good tidings. With tears and an invulnerable bubble of optimism, she became the surrogate achiever of their hopeful dreams.

But Sooyoung returned to Korea sooner than expected. Japan is teeming with its native-bred stars and there is no place for her. The company tells her she can continue modeling and, maybe, be able to get her break one way or another. She refused to listen. Amidst her mother’s promises, of family friends in the industry, strong connections to the higher ups in the celebrity world, she stormed back at SM academy with head held high and signed herself as a trainee.  Long gone was the little girl easily attracted by flickering lights. She is determined to hold her star. She is determined to take her place among them; even if the way is long. Even if it burns her.

TVXQ debuted a day after Christmas. December 2003. Changmin was nervous but not more than what the other four were feeling. For them, it was the fulfillment of a longtime dream. For him, it is but another achievement to make his mother proud. He doesn’t want much of the cheers but he learned to like it anyway. And even if it didn’t bother him at first, his heart sinks a little bit lower whenever he is placed last among his brothers. He has gotten the hang of it and soon realized its weight. So when an SM staff accidentally let it slip that the management is planning to send them abroad, to Japan, he decided it would be his time.

One who returned after a failed attempt and one who decided to finally make an attempt, at least.

Their paths crossed one Sunday. Junsu dragged her with much effort into the TVXQ practice room. She shied away from her friends – now sunbaes – and stared blankly at the floor. Yoochun started singing a lower-pitched version of START! (earning him a kick on the shin) and it was then did she realize that nothing else has changed. It’s as if Japan didn’t happen and Dong Bang Shin Ki isn’t one of the emerging legends of modern Kpop. It was only when she was about to leave that they remembered to introduce her to the shy sixteen year old who had been watching them all the while.

Six long years have passed. A lot of things have changed. Changmin watched as Sooyoung walked towards his direction with the rest of SNSD behind her. He raised his hand and grabbed hers effortlessly. He wasn’t sure if she still remembers (he, himself, forgot until that Come to Play episode) the first day they’ve met. Even though few words were spoken then, he had long known who that girl was. He didn’t tell anyone but he oftentimes practiced his Japanese by listening to some of her songs and that it was her story, the will of a twelve year old dreamer thrown into a strange place, which inspired him. And here, in front of the largest Japanese audience to ever gather, Tokyo Dome, she finally got hold of her dream. She has returned. To a place special to both of them. For different purposes, yes, but special all the same.

He felt her squeeze his hands and a secret smile made its way to his lips. No words are spoken yet they both understood. The meaning of the moment, and perhaps something so much more. Just like the first day they’ve met.

 


A/N: Happy Birthday Meki :)