"Oh Captain, My Captain...."

Eden
Please log in to read the full chapter

The moment Suho and Kris walk into their huge shared cabin, Suho tugs Kris away from the door and locks it, his back facing the taller male.

 

Kris raises an eyebrow.  “Joonmyeon…” He says warily.  “I was just messing with…you earlier…back up there.”  His speech falters into silence as he watches an unmoving Suho, and he starts to feel a little freaked out.  “Joonmyeon…what’s going on?”

 

Suho does not respond immediately, his head bowed and resting against the cool metal doorframe.

 

“Joo-?”

 

“I heard you…” Suho says quickly, not moving from his spot.  “Just…give me a moment…”

 

“Joonmyeon,” there is a wary tone in Kris’ voice as the tall male steps closer.  “What’s wrong?  Is it something I can help you w—”

 

“Ihavetotellyousomething…”

 

The boatswain stares at his captain’s back, unable to catch the words that flowed right out so quickly.

 

“…Sorry?”

 

Suho lets out a small sigh before turning around, lifting his eyes to meet with Kris’.

 

Tears had fallen from the fair-skinned captain’s eyes.

 

Eyes widening at the sight, Kris almost panics, because it was not too long ago that Suho was looking cheerful and even before that, Suho had not shown any signs of depression or anything.

 

Other than being so diligent on getting his elemental summon right… Kris thinks to himself.  Sure, he knew that Suho was the pirate captain, that he himself is the “sub-captain” or “co-captain” (or whatever it is that Suho wants to address him), and that Suho has an image to uphold around his crew, but it doesn’t prevent Suho from exposing his inner self to the one person he trusts with his life, his everything.

 

“I…have to tell you something” – Suho’s voice interrupts Kris’ thoughts, and Kris sees the same teary eyes — “about what happened down there…when I…“ Suho breaks off the eye contact, his voice faltering as he gets a little choked up with emotion.

 

Kris immediately walks over to Suho, wrapping his arms around the smaller body frame.  He suspects that when his friend was at the brink of death, Suho might have encountered some people from the past that he had not seen in a long time.

 

“I saw my parents…”

 

Kris feels a pang of sympathy upon hearing those words, and he holds Suho closer when small hands are grabbing at his clothed back and the captain’s shoulders are shaking. 

 

~~~

 

Twenty-three year old Captain Suho, blessed with the spirit of adventure, had lost his parents at an early age in a plague.  Being the lone survivor, he was rescued by a neighbor who had tended to his parents in their last moments.  With her husband gone, as she laid with him minutes from dying, the mother requested the young man to give her five-year-old son and a letter she left on the nightstand to her brother, who lives three hours’ journey from their home.  She couldn’t let her son see them dying.  Joonmyeon was sleeping in the young man’s arms when he retrieved the kid, and the softly weeping mother was able to kiss her son one last time.

 

With Joonmyeon’s clothes and memoirs of Joonmyeon’s parents in a suitcase, the young man got into his anti-gravity vehicle and drove off from the home with tears in his eyes.  As he was leaving the area, he could see people walking around like zombies, looking ever so gaunt and hopeless; he could also see dead people on the streets.  Shaking off the images in his head, he focused on getting to the destination.  He drove for three hours without rest, glancing at the sleeping Joonmyeon now and then.  Miraculously, the toddler was not disturbed in his sleep.

 

When they finally arrived at the destination, the runner was relieved to see that the lights were still on, for the sun had set not too long ago.  He gathered Joonmyeon in one arm and the other things with his other arm, and went up to the front door to knock.  When the door opened, he was surprised to come face-to-face with one of the few well-respected sky captains of the nation.  The young man had heard stories about him but never saw him in person, and he was a bit star-struck. 

 

“Can I help you, young lad?”

 

“U-uh…” the male stuttered, forgetting for a moment why he was there.  “I’m Joonmyeon’s neighbor…erm…your sister…she requested that I bring Joonmyeon to you.”  As the memory from earlier sinks in, he feels the sadness crawl up inside of him.  “There…was a plague…and…she gave me her last request.”

 

The sky captain stared at him, shock written across his face.  He glanced down at his nephew and had realized just how long it had been since he had seen his sister and her family.  “She…died?” He asked softly as he took Joonmyeon gently into his arms, watching him with sadness in his eyes.

 

The young man nodded as he placed the luggage closer to the captain.  “Her husband died first earlier tonight…she followed not too long before I left.  She told me to give this to you, too.”  He took out a letter that was inside his jacket, and delivered it to the older male.  “Enclosed is a letter to you but also a letter to Joonmyeon as well…something she said he’ll need to know when he gets older.”

 

The uncle gave a great sigh as he took the letter.  “Th-thank you…for all this…f-for coming all the way to fulfill my…my sister’s request…” The captain blinked a little too quickly, and the young man could see the eyes getting watery.  “She was so young… and you’re too young to be left alone…” He brushed a finger against the side of his nephew’s sleeping face.

 

The young man watched the two in silence, before the uncle spoke up.

 

“Hey kid, what’s your name?”

 

“Henry…”

 

The uncle nodded.  “You got a family?”

 

“Yes, sir.  Not too far from here, actually.  My hometown’s right in the middle between Joonmyeon’s home and here, though it is closer to the sea.  We own a store actually, for the ship parts.  There’s a port nearby that you can dock your ship,” the young man said with a small smile.  “With your reputation, we could give you dis-…” He stopped himself upon realizing that he was babbling at an inappropriate time.  “My apologies, sir…” Warmth was spreading across his cheeks.

 

The captain chuckled softly.  “Ah, you are quite kind, young man.  Worry not about the discounts, I can manage paying in full.  I’ll be sure to stop by your family’s shop when I can.  But in the meantime, won’t you come in?  It’s been a long drive for you, I believe.”

 

“No, thank you sir, with all due respect.  I want to check back with Joonmyeon’s parents and see what must be done.  And I want to see my family tonight.  This…whole…trip…” he motioned aimlessly with his hands, “made me want to see them tonight… That plague… I don’t know why Joonmyeon survived...but I coul

Please log in to read the full chapter