The Water Sprite

The Water Sprite

 

Exhausted, without the strength to search
people vanish into the infinite darkness

 

 

 

Minho, as a child, was really shy and reserved.

He’d never express himself to anyone, neither did he have any close friends. He’d always suffer alone, keep everything in, never letting anyone know what he’s going through. Due to all this suppressed pain and horrors, he became a quiet child. He’d seldom talk, even to his family. His hyung, Choi Minseok, tried bonding with his younger brother, but he too, failed.

Near his house, a stream passed by. Minho used to go there whenever he felt sad or lonely. For some unknown reason, talking infront of the stream would calm his nerves in such an inexplicable way that no person ever could. Sometimes, he would almost feel as if the stream would talk back to him. But then he would shake his head and get rid of the thought because, even as a kid, Minho was a very logical and reasonable child.

All his logics, however, turned upside down when he was 10.

After yet another fight between his parents, Minho came to the stream, barely holding his tears in. ‘Mother and Father are fighting again. Why do they do so? Do they not realize the pain they put me through when they fight? What if they separate? What will become of me and hyung?’

‘Minho ya,’ the stream replied, ‘don’t worry. They are fighting because only those in love are the ones who ever disagree. This signifies that they’re close enough to discover each other’s flaws but still love each other too much to not let go.’

The stream replying did not shock Minho. It had been talking back to him ever since he first came here crying. It would always offer him comfort for his distress.

Hearing the stream’s reply, Minho considered it for a while. That did make sense. This calmed Minho down. He wiped his tears and bowed to the stream, he was a very well-mannered child, ‘Thank you for your help. I’ll be going now.’

He had turned to head towards his home, when the stream’s murmuring voice made him stop,

‘Minho, wait.’

Hearing these two words, Minho knew that they will change his life forever. For the better or worse, he did not know yet. The stream never talked to him unnecessarily. It would only offer him solace for his pain but normal conversations, that would never happen between them. Minho turned around, heart beating loudly, afraid, for a reason he couldn’t quite figure out.

‘Yes?’

‘I have something to show you,’ the stream replied, hesitantly. Minho raised an eyebrow, it’s hesitating? That’s a first for a stream. But then again, stream also don’t talk usually.

‘Um, sure. You have my attention,’ said Minho.

Never in a million years, could Minho have been prepared for what happened next. Accepting the fact that a stream talks had injured his logic but the next thing wiped away the remaining shreds of logics.

The water from the centre of the stream rose. It kept rising until its height was a little less than Minho’s. Minho gaped. Finally the rising stopped and a pillar of water stood, unsupported. Surprised as he was, Minho anticipated what would happen next.

Suddenly some of the water from the pillar dropped and there stood a person. The most beautiful person Minho had ever seen.

It was a young boy. He had the most beautiful eyes ever. His hair fell in locks against his long eyelashes, hair which he kept flipping back again and again. Small lines around his eyes would deepen when he would smile, making his smile even more dazzling. His soft pink lips hid two perfect rows of teeth which, Minho would learn later, he would hide with his hand when he laughed. His eyes always twinkled, accentuating their beauty. He wore simple clothes, jeans and a t-shirt, but he still managed to look mesmerizing.

There was one problem however. This beautiful boy, from whom Minho couldn’t tear his eyes away, was a water sprite.

Yes, a water sprite. He was made, entirely, of water.

From far away, you couldn’t really tell. But when you touched him, your hand wouldn’t meet any solid flesh, instead it would just part water and keep moving further into the water.

Minho stood there transfixed for a long time. The water sprite waited patiently for him to recover from the shock. Finally, Minho found his voice, ‘Wh-who are you? And how did you live under the water for such a long time?’

The water sprite smiled, ‘Minho ya, I’m the one who has been talking to you from under the stream. I’m a water sprite.’

‘Water sprite?’ Minho repeated, flabbergasted.

‘Yes,’ the sprite replied calmly, ‘a water sprite. You might have studied about my kind in some mythology book. We sprites, we live in water bodies. We are sort of protectors of the water body where we live. We can choose to show ourselves to humans when we want to, but we usually don’t because it gets too confusing for them,’ he smiled and tilted his head at Minho, then continued, ‘we are made  purely of water, and can change into a puddle of water on choice. We have a few powers too, like healing fish, or making plants grow well, but all these powers can be applied underwater only. We help the people when they are in trouble while in our territory.’

‘Can I touch you?’ asked Minho.

The sprite smiled at his innocence and nodded, ‘Yes, you can. But I’m afraid, you’ll be disappointed greatly. It’ll be like touching water.’

Minho proceeded to touch the sprite anyway. He touched the sprite anyway and smiled when his hand sank into the water that was its body. He retreated his wet hand and looked at it in amazement.

Minho set out for his house without saying goodbye, still in a trance. Halfway through, he remembered something.

‘What should I call you?’

The sprite had been waiting for this question and answered, ‘My name is Taemin.’

Taemin, thought Minho.

Minho walked another two steps and another thought occurred to him.

‘Taemin, why did you reveal yourself to me?’

For this question, however,  the sprite was neither waiting nor prepared. Hesitating for a long moment, he replied,

‘Because I’m in love with you.’

 

 

The days pass by and change
without us even realizing how blue the sky really i
s

 

 

 

 

Twelve years passed by.

Choi Minho was now a handsome, grown up, successful person. He had graduated at a high note and was offered an extremely well-paid job in the States.

But, despite this lapse of time, one thing did not change.

Taemin.

The water sprite he had befriended.

Minho would still visit him everyday, spend time with him, tell him about his worries, his aims, his plans. And Taemin would listen, with a smile on his face and a pang in his heart, because he knew that one day, Minho would go away, whereas he, he would never be able to leave his stream, his eternal home.

Finally the day Taemin had been dreading, arrived.

‘TAEMIN AH!! TAEMIN! You’ll never guess what happened!’ Minho’s loud voice carried to the stream. Taemin looked up curiously; Minho was never the type to shout, it must be something really good. He waited as Minho came running to him.

‘Taemin, I got a job offer! In the states! And it has a very good package too. I can’t believe my luck! A fresh graduate and landing with such a good job,’ Minho said, out of breathe, a goofy smile on his face.

Taemin smiled, in that calm serene way of his, ‘Are you taking the job?’

Minho looked up at him incredulously, ‘Taking the job? Of course I’m taking the job! Taemin ah, I couldn’t hope for a better offer, I can’t turn this down.’

Taemin smiled, ‘Well, I wish you the best. No matter where you are, you must remember, I’ll always be thinking of you.’

Hearing this, Minho felt a stab of guilt. He knew that Taemin loved him. Taemin had told him that himself when he first revealed himself. But after his confession, they never discussed it again. It was just a mutually known truth, never to be mentioned, like a faint sweet smell, lingering in the air, strong enough to know it’s sweet, but too faint to figure out what it is.

‘Oh  Taemin. You know that I’ll miss you. I would never leave if I was offered a good job here. But I wasn’t. And that job is a one-in-a-million chance that I will never get again. Despite my not wanting to leave, you know, duty calls,’ Minho said and smiled awkwardly.

‘It’s alright Minho,’ Taemin assured Minho, smiling softly ‘ I understand. You don’t have to worry about me. I have enough memories of you to last me for an eternity. Yes, I will miss you but I can’t stand in way of your well being.’

Minho grinned widely, ‘Well, I better be going now. I just came to tell you the good news. I have to do my packing today because my flight leaves tomorrow at noon. I’ll come meet you before the flight, okay?’

Taemin hesitated before speaking, ‘Minho. I have one last request.’

‘Yes, go ahead.’

‘Don’t go right now. Pack your stuff later. Spend this evening with me,’ Taemin looked straight at him.

Minho considered this for a while and then said, ‘I can do that, I guess, Because Mother is packing my stuff anyway, I won’t have much to do.’

Taemin smiled happily.

Minho sat down and rested his back against the large, smooth rock.

‘Do you want me to sing to you?’ asked Taemin.

‘Sure,’ replied Minho, elated, knowing that the sprites have extremely superior music skills, ‘I’d love that.’

Taemin began to softly hum a lullaby,

 

 

Fate has been cruel and order unkind 
How can I have sent you away? 
The blame was my own; the punishment, yours 
The harmony's silent today 

But into the stillness I'll bring you a song 
And I will your company keep 
Till your tired eyes and my lullabies 
Have carried you softly to sleep 

Once did a pony who shone like the sun 
Look out on her kingdom and sigh 
She smiled and said, "Surely, there is no pony 
So lovely and so well beloved as I" 

So great was her reign and so brilliant her glory 
That long was the shadow she cast 
Which fell dark upon the young sister she loved 
And grew only darker as days and nights passed 

Lullay moon princess, goodnight sister mine 
And rest now in moonlight's embrace 
Bear up my lullaby, winds of the earth 
Through cloud, and through sky, and through space 

Carry the peace and the coolness of night 
And carry my sorrow in kind 
Luna, you're loved so much more than you know 
Forgive me for being so blind 

Soon did that pony take notice that others 
Did not give her sister her due 
And neither had she loved her as she deserved 
She watched as her sister's unhappiness grew 

But such is the way of the limelight, it sweetly 
Takes hold of the mind of its host 
And that foolish pony did nothing to stop 
The destruction of one who had needed her most 

Lullay moon princess, goodnight sister mine 
And rest now in moonlight's embrace 
Bear up my lullaby, winds of the earth 
Through cloud, and through sky, and through space 

Carry the peace and the coolness of night 
And carry my sorrow in kind 
Luna, you're loved so much more than you know 
May troubles be far from your mind 
And forgive me for being so blind 

The years now before us 
Fearful and unknown 
I never imagined 
I'd face them on my own 

May these thousand winters 
Swiftly pass, I pray 
I love you; I miss you 
All these miles away 

May all your dreams be sweet tonight 
Safe upon your bed of moonlight 
And know not of sadness, pain, or care 
And when I dream, I'll fly away and meet you there 
Sleep...

 

Taemin’s flute quivered between his lips. He put it down and looked at Minho, who had fallen asleep.  Taemin watched as Minho’s chest heaved and lightly fell back as he breathed. His head lolled to the side and his hair covered his sleeping eyes.

A smile unknowingly played across Taemin’s lips as he watched. One thought was very clear in his mind.

I can’t let him go. He’s mine. I can’t bear him anywhere else but by my side.

There was one way by which that could happen but Minho would have to pay a huge price for that. Taemin, however had decided. And once a sprite decides something, it’s very hard to make it change its mind. He regretted what would happen to Minho, but he just couldn’t let go.

Taemin slowly walked out of the stream, for the first time in decades, and walked over to Minho. Softly he sat down next to Minho’s sleeping figure.

Before bending down, he hesitating for a moment, why am I so selfish? Why should he pay such a huge price for something I want? But then he carried on with his decision, I love him too much.

He leaned down and pressed his lips to Minho’s soft ones. Minho stirred slightly, but Taemin knew that Minho won’t wake up now. Not until it’s too late. He softly brushed his lips across Minho’s and then slowly brought them down with more force. Soon, Minho, still asleep, was out of breathe.

Regret stabbing his heart, Taemin kissed him more furiously. Slowly, Minho’s steady rapid breaths faltered and then stopped entirely. Taemin pulled back and looked at the dead figure in front of him in regret, ‘Minho ya, I’m sorry I had to do this to you. You would’ve gone away if I hadn’t. I just figured, if we can’t be together in this world, we can be, in the hereafter.

 I love you.’

His tear fell on Minho’s cheek and slid down.

 

 

If we can find the rhythm of time, we can fly once again

 

 

Choi Minseok wandered out in search of his brother. ‘MINHO!! Ya, come here. Are you hiding from hyung? Come out Minho, Mother is calling for dinner and Father is already angry enough as it is. You don’t want to get scolded even after you graduate do you?’  he called out.

Dear Lord, thought Minseok, he must be playing near that stream again right? I don’t know why that punk goes there all the time. It’s just a boring stream for crying out loud. I’ll go check there.

Minseok went over to the stream. Sure enough, Minho was leaning against a rock, his eyes closed.

Minseok chuckled, this punk, he comes here and then goes to sleep.

As he moved closer, he saw that Minho was drenched, ‘What the-’ Minseok ran over to Minho in alarm and shook him. Minho slumped down to the ground.

‘MINHO??YA CHOI MINHO! WAKE UP YOU PUNK!!’ Minseok took hold of his shoulders and shook him roughly, and slapped his cheeks lightly. Tears streamed down Minseok’s cheeks as he realized that his brother would never wake up again.

 

 

We live our lives standing frozen to the spot,
unable to cry out, for eternity...

 

 

 


Lullaby used in the fic was sung by Christina Larson.

Change of scene lyrics used were from InuYasha- Fukai Mori

 

Enjoy!! Do subscribe and comment! ^^