Chapter 8

Beneath the Brushstrokes

The Eighth Chapter
Kyuhyun pinched the bridge of his nose as Heechul recounted to him updates about the people’s demonstrations about hunger and how the economy has not been improving. Such news reports had been a constant thing on his mind, something he couldn’t forget even when he was already retired for the evening.

Sometimes he wished his uncle didn’t put so much faith in him with regards to the country’s matters. He wished that he helped him sort things out more. He even wished that Taeyeon could already sit in on meetings. She was the crown princess after all. She should know what her country is going through. Then again, he was sure that she already knew. If Heechul had been doing his job right, she has received the same reports he’s been receiving. He also knew that she had probably thought of certain plans about her reign when she was given the liberty to do so.

He raised his hand to stop Heechul from going into the details of his report. Heechul put the folders down on the table separating them and leaned back on his seat. He watched as Kyuhyun’s eyes remained closed.

“How is Taeyeon?” Kyuhyun then asked.

“She’s doing well, Your Highness,” Heechul answered.

Kyuhyun opened his eyes and half-glared at his assistant and friend. “Heechul,” was all his said as he ed his suit and fiddled with his tie.

Heechul sighed. “You know you can ask her yourself how she’s doing,” he knowingly told him. “This childish fight of yours has gone too far.”

“We’ve both been busy,” Kyuhyun stated. “Now, how is she?”

“She’s waiting,” Heechul pointed out. “Like she’s been doing all her life. I hope you’re not going to make her wait any longer for you to talk to her. She doesn’t deserve it. And neither do you.”

“I’m trying my best to take care of her in the way I know how,” Kyuhyun sighed. “Obviously, I’m not doing it well.” He paused for a bit. “Is she really seeing that guy? Hyukjae, is it?” Heechul opened his mouth then closed it again, an obvious act of surprise. Kyuhyun smirked. “You didn’t think I didn’t know, did you?”

“Well, you wouldn’t be the prince if you didn’t,” Heechul finally answered. “They’re not seeing each other. Not formally, at least.” He studied the prince and the lines on his face. “Are you worried about this?”

“You know what I’m worried about,” Kyuhyun reminded him.

“Well then, you should—.”

But Heechul never got to say what Kyuhyun should do because, at that moment, the door to the study slammed open with such force that the two males jumped in their seats.

“Your Majesty,” Heechul began, the shock still on his face.

“I need to talk to Kyuhyun,” were Taeyeon’s only words.

Heechul bowed at both of them and immediately left the room, making sure that the door was closed properly.

Kyuhyun stood up from his seat and met Taeyeon’s blazing eyes. He knew that she was mad at him, but he didn’t think their fight warranted this kind of anger. Something else must have happened.

“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun finally asked after some silence. No matter how upset he was with her, no matter how many fights they had, he cared a lot about her. He had been worried a lot during the time that they never spoke. Sure, he’d had updates from Heechul and Siwon, but it wasn’t the same. Taeyeon rarely spoke of her true feelings to anyone.

Taeyeon let out a big sigh that seemed to deflate her. She walked towards the couch and sank on it, leaning her head back and closing her eyes. Without hesitation, Kyuhyun moved to sit beside her. He reached around her and brought her into his arms, cradling her head.

“What is it?” he gently inquired, caressing her hair.

“I hate you for not talking to me,” she declared.

“I’m talking to you now,” he responded tenderly, bowing to kiss her head. “What’s wrong?”

“I think…” she began in a soft voice. “I think I’m in over my head.” She snuggled impossibly closer to Kyuhyun and buried her face on his chest.

“About what?” he wanted to know, hugging her tighter.

“A guy came up to me earlier today,” she shared. “At first he was just making small conversation and then it turned out that he knew me, like really knew me. He called me Your Majesty and bowed. It was a good thing no one really noticed.”

He pulled away from the embrace and stared at her. “Where did this happen?”

“I…” She hesitated and played with the hem of her shirt. “I went to Memory Lane,” she confessed, slowly lifting her eyes to meet her cousin’s. She figured there was no sense in lying to him when she’d already presented him with the idea of her seemingly in danger.

He closed his eyes, partly in disappointment and partly in relief. At least it was somewhere public, somewhere she had friends. “And where were Siwon and your other bodyguards?” he demanded as calmly as he could.

“I escaped,” she went on with her confession. “We were in school and I just…left. I just wanted to come to the café and see—.” She cut herself off when she realized what she had been about to say.

“Hyukjae,” he finished for her in a flat voice. “You went there to see him.”

“Are you going to tell me that I can’t see him anymore?” she suddenly said, a defiant tilt to her chin. She pulled away from him completely.

Kyuhyun swallowed the biting retort he wanted to make, knowing that another fight between them wouldn’t do any good. He also knew better than to prohibit Taeyeon from seeing Hyukjae again. There was nothing more that would incite rebellion in her than being forbidden to do things. Escaping from her bodyguards was a clear example of that. He didn’t think it wise to provoke her further, considering the dangers.

“What did the guy say, the one who came up to you?” he steered the conversation in another, safer, direction. He decided he was going to be more concerned about her safety and untimely disclosure for now.

“He told me that a lot of people actually know about me, know I’m back. He says they’re people who are supposed to know about me, businessmen, economists…” she slowly answered, confused by his lack of reaction to what she had demanded of him. “Why aren’t you—?” she began to ask but he cut her off.

“Is that why you think you’re in over your head?” he interrupted.

She let out a breath. “Just… maybe I’m not cut out for this. I mean, what do I know about this country? What can I—?”

“You know enough,” he cut her off rather sternly. “You love this country and that is enough for now. The rest will just follow.” He looked straight into her eyes, his hands firm on her arms. “I don’t ever want to hear you saying anything like that again.”

“Why, because it’s embarrassing to you and to our family?” she shot back, fighting the urge to roll her eyes at him.

“Because I know it hurts you,” he countered calmly. Her eyes widen a bit in surprise. “I know how much you want this, Taeyeon, how much being queen means to you because this is who you are. You should never tell yourself that you don’t deserve this because you do.”

“I try,” she murmured. “But no one else seems to believe it like I do.” She bit her lip and played with her hands. Then she looked up and met Kyuhyun’s eyes with her earnest ones. “I really want this and I want to do it well.”

“You will do it well,” he assured her fiercely, tightening his hold on her once more.

“When will I get the chance, Kyuhyun?” she whispered, looking away. “I feel like I’m running out of time. I’ve been studying so hard for a moment to be able to prove myself all my life, but it doesn’t seem like father thinks I’m ready.”

“Have you asked him what he thinks?” he gently pressed.

She shook her head. “You know how father and I don’t get along like we used to,” she reminded him. “We’ve never had time to be actually father and daughter. He’s the king and I’m… the princess.”

In all honesty, Taeyeon missed her father very much. But they had such few memories together that she felt like all she was missing was an idea of a father.

“He believes you’re ready, Taeyeon,” Kyuhyun relayed, touching her chin to make her look back at him. “He just doesn’t want to rush or pressure you into anything.” She looked at him with wide eyes. “I think you’re ready.”

“Do you think it’s time for me to come out of hiding?” Taeyeon asked for his opinion.

“You’re not in hiding,” he corrected her. “You’re just…preparing yourself.”

“I think I’ve been in preparation for too long,” she told him. “I think it’s the people who need to be prepared for what’s going to happen when we reveal that I’m here.”

“Like anything that’s unexpected, there’ll be some for of shock and aversion,” he stated. “But when things settle down and they see you and what you can do, they’ll be blown away.”

“You’re just saying that coz you’re my cousin,” she muttered, pouting a little as she leaned back into his arms, her cheeks a bit red.

“Doesn’t make it any less true,” he maintained, squeezing her lightly.

She gave out a contented sigh. “I’m glad we’re talking again.”

“I’m sorry that it took so long,” he agreed.

“Let’s not do this again,” she kind of pleaded quietly.

Kyuhyun hugged Taeyeon and kissed her head in agreement.

~ * ~
“Your Highness, this is a bad idea,” a very worried looking Siwon hissed as he glanced around. He nodded to two of the other bodyguards behind him and gestured to them to go ahead and survey the surroundings without attracting much attention.

“There aren’t even that many people around,” Taeyeon told him, rolling her eyes. “You saw how empty the parking lot was.”

“That isn’t a good indication of how many people go to a supermarket, Your Majesty,” Siwon designated. “Not everyone who does groceries have a car.” He surveyed the place and saw that there was a fair amount of people in the store. Fair enough to catch attention and create chaos. “This is a very bad idea.”

Taeyeon shot Kyuhyun a reproachful look and Kyuhyun had to sigh as a sign of giving in.

“Just buy what you need without taking too much time and without fuss,” Kyuhyun suggested, nervously fixing the sunglasses he was wearing. “If uncle finds out about this…”

“But he won’t find out,” Taeyeon looked from Kyuhyun to Siwon. She was smiling but the statement was clearly an order.

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Siwon nodded swiftly and muttered an order to the other bodyguards scattered in the area. He hung back and stayed a good distance behind the two royals.

“This is a bad idea, you know,” Kyuhyun confirmed Siwon’s concern as they walked through the aisles with him pushing the cart. He gave an awkward smile to an old lady who looked their way. “People may not know who you are but they know me and being seen in a grocery store…”

“Just relax, okay?” Taeyeon shushed him. She picked out a bag of chips and placed it on the cart. “We’ll be out of here in no time. Or you can just… stay put and I’ll be right back.”

“Fine,” Kyuhyun agreed, watching as Taeyeon turned a corner and disappeared.

Kyuhyun hung around the cleaning products section, thinking that very few people would be going on that aisle, lessening the chances of having anyone recognizing him.

He leaned on one of the shelves and took his phone out, going through the things he would need to do as soon as they get home. One would think that princes get to have all the time in the world to have fun and enjoy being a prince. But no prince has the luxury to have fun. Not when there’s a country to run.

He was just responding to a very angry text from Heechul, telling him that he was being very irresponsible by giving in to Taeyeon’s request of physically shopping in a supermarket, when he straightened up because of someone tapping his shoulder.

“Would you mind reaching that for me?” she requested, pointing at a pack of vacuum bags sitting on the very top shelf.

Kyuhyun cleared his throat uncomfortably but handed her the vacuum bags. He gave her a thin smile and turned to walk away, carefully adjusting his sunglasses.

“You do know that there’s no sunlight in here, right?” she spoke, perceptibly amused.

“Obviously,” he answered, trying to place her face and where he’d met her before.

“Then why are you wearing shades?” she persisted.

“Are you always this nosy to strangers?” he shot back, glancing around, willing for Taeyeon not to walk back so suddenly and give his cover away.

“You’re being more conspicuous by wearing those shades,” she burst his bubble and his cover.

He sighed and gave in, knowing that there was no point in lying. “What’s your name again?”

“Sunny,” she answered, smiling warmly. “Your High—.”

“Don’t,” he interrupted her, realizing that she worked at Memory Lane Café. He glanced around. “If my sunglasses are making me conspicuous, calling me that would just flat out give me away.”

Sunny smiled sheepishly. She glanced around the corner, towards the cashiers, and then turned back to him. “I really think you should get out of here,” she advised him. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Just…buying stuff,” Kyuhyun stammered, randomly lifting up a dishwasher cleaner from the shelf.

Sunny grabbed the dishwasher cleaner from him and walked towards the cashier, paying for all of her purchases. Kyuhyun, meanwhile, walked passed her and stayed by the entrance, staring at the floor and not meeting anyone’s eyes. He wondered what was taking Taeyeon so long.

“Here,” Sunny handed him his dishwasher cleaner. She looked around and gave him a sharp look. “You should really go. People are starting to be curious.”

Sunny gave Kyuhyun a small shove in the direction of the parking lot, for which one of the guys hanging out by the entrance marched towards her, moving to grab her arm and away from the prince. Kyuhyun raised a hand and shook his head at the bodyguard before entering the car and waiting for Taeyeon there. He watched from inside the tinted vehicle as Sunny walked away. He made a note to find a way to thank her for her assistance.

Shortly after, the town car door opened and Taeyeon got in, looking incredibly happy.

“That was so much fun!” Taeyeon exploded, giggling like a little girl.

And the worried and snappy remark that Kyuhyun wanted to blurt out got swallowed.

~ * ~
“Hey!” Sunny burst into the café, immediately greeting Zhou Mi and Henry, who were both by the counter, when she saw that no customers were around. It was still pretty early in the day. “I need to tell you something.”

“What?” Henry asked at the same time that Zhou Mi said, “Not now.”

“What’s going on?” Sunny asked, noticing for the first time the tense aura.

A gush of wind breezed into the café, signaling the entrance of a customer. The three turned towards the door and saw Hyoyeon walking in. Her eyes immediately found Zhou Mi.

“Hae’s stuck at practice so it’s just me,” Hyoyeon explained. “Is everything okay?”

“What’s going on?” Sunny wanted to know.

“Hyuk’s inside…” Zhou Mi hesitated, glancing at the door to the kitchen. “He’s having a…discussion. With his cousin.”

And for the first time, Sunny noticed the heated conversation going on inside the kitchen. Her brows furrowed in concern. But before she could ask some more about it, Hyoyeon spoke.

“How long have they been at it?” Hyoyeon wanted to know.

“Almost half an hour,” Henry answered.

“Why are they fighting?” Sunny inquired.

The door to the kitchen suddenly flew open and Hyukjae came storming out. The normally happy demeanor of Hyukjae was nowhere to be found, only replaced by an intense anger.

“Hyukjae,” his cousin called, “just stop and listen for a bit.”

“No,” came Hyukjae’s harsh reply. He grabbed his jacket from behind the counter and stalked towards the exit.

“Where are you going?” Zhou Mi and Hyoyeon both called after him.

“Out,” Hyukjae snappishly responded and left the café.

~ * ~
Hyukjae jogged towards the park, looking around as if searching for someone. Soon, he found Taeyeon, standing under one of the bigger trees. She shot him a smile when she saw him.

“Hey,” Taeyeon greeted him when he was close enough. “Is everything okay? You sounded upset.”

Hyukjae had called Taeyeon right after he exited the café, telling her that he needed to see her.

He knew his cousin coming to visit him was bad news. His family had heard of him and Taeyeon and it upset him that they were meddling with his life once more. He liked living his own life and following his own destiny, uncovering things himself along the way. Incheon suffocated him that way, which was why he ran away to Seoul.

And now his old life was catching up to him. He supposed he could never really escape who he was.

But he wasn’t ready to face it.

Not yet.

“Hyukjae?” Taeyeon tentatively called him.

He looked at her. Then he took a step forward and kissed her.