Chapter 1

Beneath the Brushstrokes

The First Chapter
The sunlight’s rays mildly filtered through the car’s tinted windows as it passed by through rows and rows of trees that lined the path beautifully. It was springtime and everything was in bloom, as what happens after a rough winter comes and goes. The road was long, quiet and empty. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of the car trudging through rocks, making the ride a bit bumpier than normal.

A sigh sounded inside the car for what seemed like the 10th time that morning and all the other occupants of the vehicle had learned to ignore it. The owner of the sighs seemed dissatisfied with this, but didn’t say anything and decided to merely continue looking out of the window. Trying to admire the view was hard when one didn’t want to go where they were going, even when the view was filled with beautiful trees and flowers. Another sigh threatened to escape when a hand clamped down on her own in an effort to stop it from escaping.

She turned her head, fluttering her long lashes, her pretty mouth turning upside down to form a frown. It somewhat marred her beautiful face that was framed by dark, short locks, that reached just until her neck. Her eyes narrowed, brushing her bangs sideways with a hand, then glanced down at the hand on her own.

“You haven’t even begun and you’re already complaining,” she was told.

“I’m not complaining,” she countered, shaking her head a bit. “But I don’t know why I should have to go back to school so soon when I’ve just been back from one. I haven’t even taken a second to absorb how new everything is and already I just have to go back to studying.”

“You do have to,” the deep, velvety voice of her companion confirmed in a chuckle. “You know this is necessary. This is one of the ways in which you—.”

“Yes,” she interrupted, removing her hand from his grasp. “I know.” Sighing, quietly this time, she turned towards the window again.

The trees and flowers were really beautiful. She couldn’t help but think about how she missed spring in Seoul. It really had been too long. She couldn’t even remember the last time she had spring in the country. Frowning once again, she realized that she couldn’t really remember much of anything from the last time she had been there.

“Just think of it this way,” her companion spoke again in an effort to give her some comfort. “At least it’s not boarding school.”

“Thank goodness it’s not boarding school,” she agreed, looking greatly relieved at the thought. She had just come back from boarding school, after all. She turned her attention away from the window and smiled at the man seated beside her.

He was one of those whom she greatly missed the most while she had been away, which was for far too long. Him and his air of power and presence, his decisiveness, piercing stare and playful nature. She noted how his hair had grown longer—how he had started wearing it in a longer fashion—with bangs over his forehead, almost, but not quite, covering his semi-round eyes. He had grown taller over the years, if his legs were any indication of such, and he had become more built. She swore she could see muscles bulging through his polo shirts. He had changed so much, all definitely for the better. He had grown so much more handsome. She smiled as she relished the warm chuckle that came out from his mouth.

“I have some clout with your father, you know,” he proudly announced, puffing out his chest a bit. If it weren’t for his suggestion, she would probably attend another boarding school. “He trusts me.”

The smile on her face faltered, but she recovered it immediately, hiding it behind a chuckle of her own. “Must’ve been nice, having a son, instead of a daughter for a while,” she commented.

He was speechless for a couple of seconds before he managed to speak. “You know that’s not what I meant—,” he began in defense, a frown on his handsome face.

“Oh look, we’re here,” she declared, interrupting him, as the car pulled to a stop on the driveway beside the expansive lawn that was fronting the school building.

Pressing a button, she lowered the car window down and looked at the building and the surroundings of what was supposed to be her university.

Seoul Masters Academy, the school for the incredibly rich, incredibly famous or incredibly smart, was all in dark red brick, as was typical of old and well-established universities everywhere in the world. It was a five-storey building set in the middle of lush greenery, the perfect picture of Seoul’s countryside. Students were walking on the lawn, chatting and laughing with each other, their new bags on their shoulders, all looking excited for the prospect of a new school year.

“The headmaster will meet with you before the day ends,” he told her, his voice seeping through her thoughts. She turned to him and gave him a questioning look. “He can’t not know,” he answered her unasked question. “He’s the headmaster. He needs to know these things so he will know what he needs to do to be able to protect you,” he continued on when she looked somewhat upset about such information.

“I don’t need protecting,” she countered.

“Of course you don’t,” he primly responded. He slightly bent forward so he could see the school building through her window. “You better get going. We’re starting to attract some attention, and you don’t want that, don’t you?”

She made a face at him when she realized that he was teasing her, despite knowing that other students were indeed looking curiously at their car. Slinging her bag over her body, she moved to get out, but was stopped by his hand on hers again.

“Taeyeon, about what I said earlier,” he started to say.

“I know, Kyuhyun,” she cut him off, shaking her head. “I was joking.” She smiled and leaned across the space between them to give him a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you after school.”

She stepped out of the car, slightly fixing her school uniform, which consisted of a white blouse, a dark red tie, as well as a coat with the same color with a gray skirt, white knee-high socks and white sneakers.

As she flattened the back of her skirt, she happened to notice a tall, handsome guy, coming out of the black town car, that was similar to the one she just came out of, behind theirs. She took one look at him smiling at her then immediately turned to the still-opened window of her own town car.

“You had Siwon follow me in another car?” she accused Kyuhyun, glaring at him.

“Siwon is enrolled as a student in SMA so I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he innocently replied, smiling at her in return.

“I will tell father about this,” she warned him.

“Go ahead,” he said, his smile growing wider. “It was his idea.” He chuckled as she looked stunned. “Go to school, Taeyeon. I’ll have Joon pick you up at four.”

Taeyeon looked on until the town car was out of sight before turning around and facing her university. Siwon, meanwhile, stood a couple of feet behind her, surveying the surroundings.

“The school seems okay, seems safe, too secluded for my liking,” Siwon observed, eyeing a group of rowdy boys who passed by.

“As if you didn’t know that already beforehand,” Taeyeon responded, rolling her eyes and moving towards the school entrance. He followed after her.

The cavernous and long hallway blossomed in front of them as they entered the building. Students walked down the long hall to go the stairs or to wait for the elevators to be able to get to their classes.

Taeyeon stood still for a moment as she read through her schedule. “What’s your first class?” she asked Siwon.

“Art history,” he answered without missing a beat. “We’re in room 305.”

“Of course we are,” she muttered.

They decided to use the stairs, as another way to be able to explore the school as well. They had both heard of the famous people who had had their education in the facility; a lot of government officials had taken their studies there, as well as some famous celebrities, and even the current king had gone to school there.

They made their way through the third floor, dodging some overly playful students. Apparently just because a school was for the overtly rich, famous or smart, didn’t mean that it’s a more proper school than others were.

Taeyeon ducked as a soccer ball flew right over her head. Siwon grabbed the ball, frowning as he fussed over Taeyeon to make sure she was okay. One of the guys who were playing with it jogged over as he got the ball.

“Sorry about that,” he apologized, bowing slightly. He gave her a very wide rueful smile. “We’re just having some fun, first day and all.”

“It would be better if you didn’t play in places where people could get hurt,” Siwon mentioned stiffly, putting a protective arm around Taeyeon, one that didn’t go unnoticed.

“I really didn’t mean—,” the guy began to apologize once more, but Taeyeon waved him off.

“Don’t apologize again,” she told him sincerely. “I didn’t get hurt so it’s alright.” Smiling at him, she excused herself and Siwon, pulling him into the classroom.

“What?” he demanded as they sat down on seats somewhere in the middle of the room.

“Stop acting like you’re my bodyguard or something,” she directed him.

He kept quiet as she pulled her books out and got ready for class.


~ * ~

“Hey Hyuk!”

He was just about to turn around when an arm slung around his shoulder, almost knocking down the books he was carrying. He struggled for a bit to keep them from falling when his friend grabbed some of the books and helped him.

“Why do you always have books with you?” Donghae wanted to know, making a face.

“Because unlike you, I actually do need to study,” Hyukjae stated, smirking at him.

“It’s the first day of school,” Donghae complained.

“And it’s the best day to start studying,” Hyukjae pointed out. “It would do you some good, Hae. For a change.”

Donghae made another face at him. He looked away and suddenly his expression brightened. Hyukjae followed his line of sight and knew at once why his friend suddenly looked like Christmas had come early. It was because of the new girl.

She was seated on one of the tables in the quad, seemingly doing some schoolwork. Somehow, this made Hyukjae smile. He thought it was nice to know that she was someone who wasn’t in school just because her parents sent her there. It was nice that she seemed like someone who actually studied.

Suddenly, Donghae was dragging him towards her table.

“What are you doing?” Hyukjae demanded, trying to get out of his clutches. But Donghae was too strong and too determined to release him. “Hae, this isn’t a good idea. You don’t even know who she is.”

“Since when did I care?” Donghae chuckled. “Besides, this is my way of getting to know her.” He grinned almost evilly when Hyukjae frowned at him.

It wasn’t a secret to everyone who studied in SMA who and what kind of guy Donghae was. He was, in short and simple terms, a player. Sometimes, Hyukjae wondered why he was friends with him in the first place. But, of course, he knew why.

Taeyeon gave them a surprised look as they, Hyukjae, rather unwillingly, plopped down on the bench across from hers. She frowned as she studied then a look of recognition flashed across her face as she looked at Hyukjae.

“It’s you,” she remarked, smiling a little. “The guy playing soccer in the hallway this morning.”

Donghae looked from Hyukjae to her, looking a bit confused. He blinked for a couple of seconds then turned his attention back to her.

“I’m Donghae,” he introduced himself rather brightly, putting an arm around Hyukjae. “And this is Hyukjae. I noticed you’re in some of our classes. What’s your name?”

She chuckled as Hyukjae shook his head in obvious apology for his friend. She was just about to answer when Siwon materialized at her side out of nowhere. Siwon glared at the two guys then gave her a knowing look to which she merely shook her head at. He then whispered something in her ear to which she nodded at.

“I’m sorry I have to go,” she apologized, moving to stand up as Siwon put all her notes and books in her bag.

Siwon guided her out of the quad, leaving the two boys somewhat stunned by her sudden departure. Donghae let out a snicker, while Hyukjae stared at the table.

“Well, I guess I should go, too, then,” Donghae announced, patting Hyukjae’s shoulder as he stood up. “See you at practice.” Without another word, he walked away, joining a group of girls who were passing by.

Hyukjae just sat there, staring at a red book with some sort of seal on the cover that had been left behind. He was wondering whether he should take it and return it to her in one of their classes when suddenly a hand grabbed the book.

“I left my drawing book,” Taeyeon said, smiling at him.

“Uh yeah, I was going to take it with me and return it to you during class,” Hyukjae explained.

“Thanks,” she told him, turning to leave.

“You’re welco—,” he began to say when she interrupted him.

“I’m Taeyeon, by the way,” she introduced herself with a smile before hurriedly walking away.


~ * ~
The headmaster stood behind the big, browned antique that was his seat, staring outside the ceiling to floor window towards the lawn, where students were waiting for their limousines and town cars to arrive. His hands were behind his back and he looked deep in thought.

He had been running SMA for a couple of years now and never in his life did he think that he would encounter the honor of having such a student in his school. He had heard of past headmasters having the privilege of handling such special students but he didn’t think he would receive such pleasure, especially a student as special as this, perhaps the most special one in over a decade.

His reverie was broken as a knock echoed through his room. He turned around to face the room as the door opened and the student he had been waiting for walked in, accompanied by another student.

“Headmaster,” Taeyeon greeted him respectfully, bowing as she stood in front of his desk. Suddenly, the headmaster seemed at a loss and she noticed this right away. “Please, no formalities. Call me Taeyeon.”

“Of course, Taeyeon-ssi,” the headmaster acquiesced.

“You asked to meet with me?” she then asked, going straight to them point.

“I did,” the headmaster responded. He gestured to the seats in front of his desk. “Please have a seat,” he offered, glancing at the male student as well. “Siwon-ssi, as well.”

As all three of them took their seats, the headmaster regarded Taeyeon carefully, as if inspecting every bit of her. It made her somewhat uncomfortable, which Siwon immediately noticed.

“Headmaster, if you may start,” Siwon stated, clearing his throat.

“I just personally wanted to welcome you to the school,” the headmaster began, smiling a little, “and wanted to let you know if there’s anything that you need, anything at all, don’t hesitate to let me know. I will do what is in my power to be able to help you with whatever it is.”

She smiled and slightly bowed her head to acknowledge his offer. “Thank you, sir,” she graciously replied. “But all I ask is that I receive no special treatment. I really do not want word to get out that I am here. Not yet, anyway.”

“Of course,” the headmaster instantly agreed. “I will do my best to help in keeping things low profile for you.”

“Thank you,” she stated. “If that is all…?”

“Oh yes, yes,” the headmaster said, standing up to send them on their way. “Thank you for stopping by my office!”

“Headmaster, please,” Taeyeon told him as politely as she could, chuckling a bit, “I really do not want any special treatment, not even from you. This is your school, your arena. I follow your rules.”

He nodded. “Very well, Taeyeon-ssi, Siwon-ssi, be on your way,” he formally directed, despite feeling slightly giddy at the authority she bestowed upon him.


~ * ~
Taeyeon looked out of the window and watched as the familiar black iron gates and luxuriant landscapes of her home came into view. She let out a breath as they rode past the maze of gardens. Right beside her, Siwon quietly articulated something to the wireless device stuck to his right ear.

As the car pulled to a stop on the driveway, in front of the house’s entrance, a footman came running to her side of the car, opening the door for her. She stepped out and gave him a brief smile, for which she received a ninety-degree bow.

On the steps of the entrance stood three people, one maid who got her school bag from Siwon and another maid who helped her take her coat off. The other one was Kyuhyun’s personal assistant, one who doubled as hers.

She smiled at him. “Good afternoon, Heechul,” she greeted him as she walked in the vestibule to several servants bowing to her. She regarded each of them with a smile.

“Welcome home, Princess Taeyeon,” Heechul promptly addressed. “May I run you through your schedule for this afternoon?”