Three

Saved

chapter three
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                   Kris' POV

I started the engine and drove at fast speed without knowing where to go. I did not care about the gloom the whether brought nor the annoying honks of other cars who obviously thought I was a reckless youngster who rebelled against the world. Truth was, oh yes, I despise the human race. I despise at how everybody could come after a prey for unnecessary competition. Worse, predators and preys could even be friends.

 

I scoffed at the vividly mocking word. Friends. Pathetic!

 

My mother's words still echoed on my mind as I turned the steering wheel to who knows where. She surely did read the thoughts I have denied for myself to think about. "Krystal will be discharged today from the hospital, son. I know you haven't visited her for once." She raised her brow and crossed her arms. "And today is also her family's funeral. If only I could cancel my meeting in Taiwan, I would definitely go there. Krystal needs..."

 

I cut her off before she could even say something that might give me false hopes. "She does not want to see me. The last time we talked, she told me to disappear from her life."

 

Krystal was my ex-girlfriend. Before being into that romance, we were friends - along with Zhang Yixing, that is. I never wanted my thoughts go into detail on how we broke up. For heavens' sake, it was pathetic. I could not help but speed my car up even more as my mind touched that memory. It was as pathetic as that Zhang Yixing. Worst case scenario, it was as pathetic as I was.

 

"I am very certain that Krystal is grieving painfully, son. Painfully." My mother emphasized the word as if she was in the same pain. "Before anything else, you've been friends. I'm sure she'd somehow be lightened up when she feels your sympathy."

 

My thoughts were ceased as I caught glimpse of where my car has brought me. Ironic to my denials, I was in the very place where I told myself I should not be. I came as if my mind took me there by itself without my consent. The next thing I knew, I was in front of the hospital - the exact hospital where Krystal was confined.

 

I cursed myself for doing such foolish act, yet something seemed to be telling me to give it a try. My mother may be right. Krystal might need me.

 

Room 502. Was I beeing fooled? 5-02, May 2. It was supposedly our first aniversary. Circumstances really did play some games on me. "This is crap." I told myself as I composed myself for a tough figure to face her.

 

I slowly opened the door, hoping she'd be asleep. That way, I won't be bothered at how I could approach her. I know how Krystal is when she's on a fragile state. She definitely was a crystal, so easy to break.

 

The first thing I saw upon the door's small opening was her; she was seated on her bed, facing the window. She looked pale and blank - something that signalled for a worry I almost automatically felt for her. As I further opened the door, however, I saw another persona beside her. It was Lay.

 

"I'm afraid." I heard Krystal told him. "Aside from my best friend, I don't think I can face anybody else."

 

I was right. My mother and my mind were wrong. Needless to say, Krystal did not want to see me at all. I convinced myself to close that crap of a door and walk away. The last thing I wanted to be at such instance was to be an additional burden to anybody, especially to her.

 

I decided to stay behind the scenes. I swear, I wanted to talk to her and tell her I have always been there for her. Pathetic as I was, I cannot. It was the most that I can do - watch her go through her pains and losses and hurt the same way she does. You're not alone. I wanted to tell her... so badly.

 

I watched and followed her, from the moment she was discharged from the hospital. Lay was with her and it irked an ounce of pride in me. I cannot make it dominate me though. My pride has no place for the situation. Worse thing was they were holding hands. I wanted to stop following them right then and there, but something pulled me towards her - something I knew has always been there.

 

I stayed at the very back of the small crowd as the funeral ceremony went on. From there, I can see Krystal clenching her fist as she held her tears. Almost all eyes let down tears, except for her. She could only hold everything in and supress with her remaining strength. It was a pain for me to see her in such state. I saw Lay whisper something in her ear from time to time and she would nod. I had to admit, somehow I was grateful Lay was there beside her. Deep inside though, I know that should be me instead of him.

 

The actual burial was even more agonizing. The moment I saw Krystal send her last farewell, my chest seemed to burn. I myself was a witness of how her family loved her and how she loved them as much. They have been the picture of a family in perfection. It was a loss to see them break apart in such tragedy.

 

I took memory of what Mr. Jung once told me when we told them of our relationship. Just like what usual fathers would say, he told me not to hurt her daughter, to take one step at a time and to make her feel loved. One thing set him apart from other fathers though. "I won't tell you not to make her cry. My daughter always keeps her strength and seldom vents into tears even though she is in too much pain. I hope you can stand by her during those difficult times in the future and be her stength instead. I hope you'd let her cry her pains out to you... patiently and fervently. Can I trust you in that, Kris?"

 

Looking back to his words gave me goosebumps. I did not know if he had foreseen such situation ahead of her daughter, but all I was sure of was to keep my word. The current scenario we were in was one moment Mr. Jung was meaning to convey. Krystal needs me, I thought.

 

I saw Lay heading towards my direction, looking at the white rose in my hand.

 

"Hey, Krystal's there and I know you want to give your condolences," He began with a voice in remorse. "but I don't think she wants to see you right now."

 

I could not help but scoff as I felt annoyed. As far as I was concerned, he had no right to scram me away. Zhang Yixing had secrets I knew of - the secrets he had been keeping as demons tatooed on his name and his whole being. I know and I despise the way he appeared to be the angel contrary to his inevitable emblem. "She doesn't want to see me?" I raised a brow. "Or you don't want her to see me because I might tell her your mysteries that I have mended to solve?"

 

"This is not the time for such issues, Kris." He pursed his lips.

 

"As far as I'm concerned, I have the same rights with her just like you do." I snapped. "Or maybe I even have more rights."

 

He sighed deeply before he spoke. "Kris, you don't..."

 

I cut him off. "Look, Zhang Yixing. Didn't you ever think that maybe, Krystal needs me with her right now?"

 

It silenced him and I very well knew that it caught him off guard. His reaction enlightened me. Maybe I was right. Maybe Mr. Jung was right after all. Krystal needed me - even just to cry her grievances out. That, I kept in mind, was the most that I can do.

 

I know it was not some coincedental circumstances nor intuition that ran me controlled all day. All along, I was certain, it was love.

_______________________________________________________________________________

(A/N).

Hello there! How was the third chapter?
Comment your thoughts, okay?
With the first three chapters with the main characters' POV,
the story has just started.
More things to happen, more mysteries to unfold.
Please subscribe, comment and upvote :3
               -xoxoyixing

 

( layout credit: h a r l e q u i n. )