CHAPTER 1: ALWAYS LATE, NEVER EARLY

THE HEARTBREAK CLUB

 

"Hyung, when are you gonna arrive? I'm gonna be late for school! You don't know how it is for LATE comers in school!!!"

Jaewon can hear Samuel's hearty laugh over the phone. Sam's bound to arrive to Seoul today. It is crystal clear in Jaewon's thought that Samuel's arrival is gonna be an hour before he should go to school. It's just thirty minutes before the first bell and he's still standing in the arrival lounge of the airport. He's donning the most disheveled uniform that most likely he first got a hold of upon rushing his way to the airport.

"Wait. I'm almost there. Keep calm okay?"

 

Jaewon stomped his foot. "Aish! I'm gonna be late. I tell you!"

 

"You are always late.. that shouldn't be new to you.."

 

"that's not even funny! I shouldn't have waken up so early just to fetch you. such a pain in the .."

 

"You didn't change a bit.. you're still your brother's evil brother.."

 

Jaewon, Samuel and Raewon are good friends. Raewon is Jaewon's big brother. He's now in New York, taking his Masters Degree in Physics. Samuel is gonna transfer to Seoul and continue his senior year with Jaewon. Though just in Senior high, Samuel was regarded as the mature one, the intelligent and the gentleman. Jaewon can be otherwise.. sometimes.

..........


Jaewon's watch just flashed 6:45 AM. Arriving to school on time is almost impossible unless he'll go ahead and make his car fly.

" WHERE ARE YOU? I got to go. Fifteen minutes before first bell! Go suit yourself!"

"Okay..okay. Don't wait for me. I'll go to your school.. Thank you for your patience.." Sam exasperatedly exclaimed with a hint of sarcasm

 

" Okay. It's okay.. don't go to school. You're not yet suppose to go there anyway. Just take a cab and go straight home..see you later"

 

----------------------

 

" Kang Jae Won.!!!!!!"

The teacher already called his name for 3 times. No one's answering.

"That punk is late again."  Joorin thought. She secretly flashed her evil smile. She looked at her worried best friend who keeps on looking at the classroom door and even attempting to take a look at the hallway.

"He's late.. I wonder what happened.."

"Don't worry for that guy too much. I'm sure he just overslept or something.. How come you're still surprised?"

Yeonhee sighed and the worried look never left her face. Joorin just rolled her eyes, making sure her best friend never noticed it.

"That punk..is really no good.."

 

Joorin has this unknown hate for Jaewon or at least for guys just like him. For her, Jaewon is never good enough for her best friend. Jaewon always slacks off, doesn't even look like he washed up before going to school and he seems....so ordinary. Call her a perfectionist or choosy but she will never like a guy who seems to have no decent plans in life or someone who is a happy go lucky. She really don't get why Yeonhee fell for that guy. He is not even close to being a Flower Boy!

Joorin looked outside since her seat is close to the window. She saw Jaewon running down the hallway. Panting like crazy and even though the image of the guy is almost microscopic, she can see the wrinkles of his uniform and how it is so generally disorganized. She sighed before assuring her bestfriend that the dude already arrived

"He's here. You can calm down now and You're welcome"

Yeonhee just flashed a triumphant smile and is anticipating her boyfriend to step in.

"I'm sorry I'm late!" Jaewon exclaimed

The students laughed while Joorin and the teacher share the same exact expression. They are both about to kill the guy with razor shard stares.

"I'm sorry I'm late! Peace out! HEHEHEHE"

Jaewon gave a V-sign with a wide grin to everyone specially the teacher. He also didn't fail to show Joorin his stunt. Almost everyone is laughing now.

"Mr. Kang, you'll end up cleaning the classroom later when the class is over. ALONE"

Jaewon's wide grin suddenly disappeared and he violently scratched his head while going to his seat which happens to be behind Joorin's and beside Yeonhee's.

Yeonhee smiled and Jaewon's playfulness suddenly changed to a manly demeanor. He flashed a respectable smile at his beautiful girlfriend. That makes him look like the cool guy in the movies who just met his girl for the first time. Joorin almost puked. Her hate for the guy is amost eternal. Jaewon mocked Joorin's disgusted face by showing his tongue. We know the who the winner is.

_______________

 

Joorin was almost crumpling a page of her sketch book upon remembering Jaewon's maerong. She's sitting along on the campus parkbench because she can't take to join Yeonhee and Jaewon in the school cafeteria. She chose to be in solitude, facing the school soccer field and drawing anything she first think of drawing. She's kinda out of it today. Well mainly because of how the day started. She just straightened the paper and began tapping the book with her pencil. She tried to put her earphones on and listen to instrumentals Yeonhee recommended to her. It will stimulate creativity, she told her.

"How come this will make me draw something if it's so boring?!" She scroll down the long list of classical music.. She just can't find the right one so she went out and look for her C.N. Blue playlist. At the end she chose rock over classical.

She was bobbing her head to the cool groove when she noticed something soft was touching her right arm. She violently turn towards right.

"WHAT THE??!!"

The guy was surprised. He quickly move his hand away from her arm, even far away from the bench.

Joorin suddenly felt her jaw drop. She was all surpised yet amazed on what she saw. The guy was telling something and just five seconds after she just knew she have to remove the earphones to hear him.

"...s the cafeteria?"

"Huh? I'm sorry?"

"Do you know where is the cafeteria?"

The guy smiled. Joorin's eyes became more open than how they normally were. In her mind, this is one of the daebak smiles she saw her whole life. The guy's face is glorious and she suddenly felt her heart jumped.

"hey...miss.....?"

"Ah..yeah..yes..." Joorin was looking for the right words and she can't control the panic rushing her system.

The guy just keep on looking at her. waiting for her answer. She pointed the first building on her left.

" It's...there in the school building..He..he..he" Stupid, stupid brain. She mentally exclaimed.

SMILE. Again. the guy had a thoughtful expression on his face. As if her answer was valid.

"Ahh..okay. Thanks.."

The guy nods and walked past her, already going to that building even though both of them clearly know that no useful information about the cafeteria's location was given.

Joorin can't redeem herself to the cute stranger. She's just out of her mind. When the guy was already a few steps away from her bench.. She just slapped her forehead and scold her self.

"Excuse me..."

The guy was already back on her side and sitting beside her. She didn't even notice!

"Can you just go to the cafeteria with me....?"

"Eh?!"

"I'm about to meet someone.. It's important. Can you just go with me?"

The guy's nodding so as to make her say yes.

..and eve though her hearts pounding like hell, she finally managed..

"Yes.."

____________

 

"Why are you late huh?" Yeon hee asked Jaewon who is sitting beside her in the cafeteria.

"Ug..did I forget to mention that my friend is arriving today from New York?"

"Ahh.. yes. That guy.. well, you did mention it but I remember as well that you mentioned he is arriving a whole lot earlier from the time the bell rings!"

"Ahh.. yes I did. Well, all of this is his fault. He never come out on time! I'm just waiting there and I even skipped breakfast!" Jaewon is explaining like a five year old kid.

"Okay. I get it. Now eat." Yeonhee thoughtfully smiled and shoved the kimbap on Jaewon's mouth. Jaewon smiled while struggling to chew the big chunk.

"That guy is gonna study in here.."

"really? Is he on the same grade? Yeonhee asked, not quite interested

"Yep. I bet you will like him. He's a great musician. He plays piano real well.."

The girl pouted, thinking the guy is really good because her boyfriend seldom praises any one "Oooh. Okay. Wait, if you're here now, does that mean he's already in your house?"

"Heh. I don't know. We never met at the airport. I told you, it took him forever to come out. So I left and just told him to take a cab up to the house.."

"Oh, really? Hope he knows the directions.." Yeonhee is now fixing Jaewon's tie.

" Of course he does!" Jaewon straighten up and felt that almost every guy in the cafeteria is staring at them with envy.

Yeonhee changed the topic. "Hey, It's my dad's concert this coming Saturday.. let's go watch it together alright?"

He forced a smile "Of course! I really like your dad's works!"

What a fake enthusiasm, he thought. He always dread to watch concerts. For him, it's the most boring thing next to  their teacher's lecture. Yeonhee's dad just happens to be the conductor of one of Korea's finest orchestras. That's where Yeonhee's passion for music comes from, he suppose. He still remembers as to how he researched about her dad and everything about classical and chamber music just to start an "interesting" conversation with her about a year ago.

"Yay! thank you."

He continue to fake the smile. He just can't imagine as to how Yeonhee will react if she came to know his love for Kpop songs and most specially, for Girls' Generation. He like KPOP and her girlfriend openly expresses her indifference to any kpop groups or songs. Yeonhee likes what they call "higher arts". Even his inclination to Comic books and his Gaming world was never a topic of interest when they are together. Of course, he wants to share to Yeonhee everything that he loves doing but he just don't have a heart to tell his girlfriend that he's into those things. He's thinking that it will maker her see him lesser as compared to how she sees him right now.

Jaewon is just plain contemplating when suddenly a painful knock was felt on the back of his head.

"Aww.. what??!!"

Yeonhee is surprised as he was. When he turned, he saw a very much familiar face, smiling at him. It was Samuel.

"Hey bro.."

"Hyung!!!" Jaewon gave him a high-five and a hug. He's glad to see him.

He looked at Samuel again. He can't discount the fact that his best friend is looking good as ever. He noticed that most of the girls looked up and are now staring at the new guy in front of him.

"How come you are here? I told you to go to our house!"

"Well, what should I do there? I know where is this located, I searched.."

Both of them smiled and Jaewon introduced Yeonhee. He's kinda proud to let his best friend know that he's got an ulzzang girlfriend. Samuel smiled at him once again as a confirmation of the stories Jaewon is telling him regarding his pretty girlfriend. Of course he knew, Sam has given him enough information about music so that he can talk to this girl..

"So.. how come you find us..?"

Jaewon never noticed that Sam's got a company. He's surprised when his best friend grabbed the girl's arms.

"She's the one who brought me to you guys.."

Yeonhee smiled widely and Jaewon's face is priceless.

"You?!"

Joorin just half-smiled "Hi. You too?."