An Initial Attraction

An Initial Attraction

 

Let's be honest, unfortunately, not everyone graduates from high school, but for the ones that do, the realization from child's play (i.e. high school) to the real world (i.e. college and beyond) is one that sometimes hits us dead in the face when we least expect it.

For Jacqueline, it's quite the opposite.

Jacqueline is sitting with her peers and fellow graduates waiting for her name to be called. Distracting herself with her thoughts, she watched as her fellow classmates stand up proudly and walk to the podium to accept their diploma.

It's bittersweet.

Jacq has been ready for this since kindergarten freshman year and was quite happy to be graduating, but the one thing she didn't expect was to be dismayed by the inevitable change.

The change of possibly not seeing her friends everyday; the change of not seeing her parents everyday...

Jacqueline came back from her thoughts as her row of seats was called along to stand. They would be called next. She looked along the sea of students and caught several eyes.

She saw Raven's tear rimmed eyes and gave her a small smile to let her know it was ok.

She found Amira and returned her wink with a smirk of her own.

And last, but certainly not least, she found Jongin's dark eyes.

She momentarily looked away uncomfortably and looked back to find his penetrating gaze still on her. It was as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't. Too intense to keep looking, Jacq turned back to the woman calling the names and tried to get herself back together.

A look was all it took from him for her to become undone; and funny thing is, she'd look again.

 

~~♦~~

 

I feel like I’m doing everything the hard way without even trying.

 

Jacqueline watched along as her mother’s guests partied along for the after graduation cookout. Her mother wasted no time in informing everyone that she could, that the Westwood’s would be hosting the senior graduation party for their class, and no one made an issue of it. Most people liked the Westwood’s and wouldn’t pass up a chance to come to the house; it wasn’t a mansion but it sure as hell wasn’t small either.

Jacq held it together until she heard Amira round the corner.

"I'm freeee!" Amira yelled as she let go of Kris' hand to run towards Jacqueline. Bracing herself she openly accepted Amira’s hug.

Jacqueline hugged her as hard as she could while burying her face to hide the tears spilling down her face. Amira didn’t say a word as she mouthed an “I’ll be back.” to Kris before taking Jacqueline to her room.

“What’s wrong, hun?” Amira sat herself and Jacqueline down on her bed. Jacq shook her head in disbelief before speaking.

“I didn’t realize how hard it would be to leave all of those people that I’m so used to. I tried for so long to not get emotionally attached to everyone that as I got older I did it without even trying. But graduating…going off to college, I realize just how much I’m going to miss all of you. My family, my friends…including you.”

“I’m going to ignore that last part but yes, honestly speaking now, you close off your feelings so much that it’s become second nature for you. You don’t have to hide from us anymore. We’re growing up now Jac…it’s a good thing.” Amira gave a small smile before hugging Jacqueline again.

Jacqueline gazed down and started to play with her comforter. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to bring up the other thing on her mind, but it had been gnawing away at her since a certain sleepover. She would have been perfectly pleased to keep her thoughts to herself if not for what Amira had mentioned a few moments ago.

Amira peered as Jacqueline’s graceful fingers traced the patterns on her bed. She knew Jac had something else on her mind and Jac knew she knew; it was only a matter of time before…

*knock knock*

A knock broke the silence between the two girls. Raven poked her head in and came in.

“Kris told me you two would be up here.” She noticed the off atmosphere. “Is there something I missed…?”

“We were just discussing the better points of how emotionally repressed Jacqueline is.”

“Jongin.”

“What?”

“Jongin. I like Kim Jongin.” Jacqueline made no movement to explain, move, or even blink for that matter. What only mattered in those few seconds was that she finally admitted it out loud; to herself and to her friends…she likes Jongin.

The more she repeated it in her head the less pressure she felt.

Amira and Raven shared a look of surprise and, in Amira’s case, a duh , I knew this the entire time. I ing told you so. I’m right all the time but no one ever listens to me but none of that matters right now because I’m happy you finally admitted it yay, look.

Jacqueline breathed a sigh of relief from her confession. It was almost as if she was a new person; almost. She abruptly stood and said, “Ok. Now that that’s taken care of, shall we go party?”

 

~~♦~~

 

As the three friends made their way down the stairs, Jacqueline noticed more people had showed, more drinks were being passed around, and how more guests had settled in the atmosphere.

Amira went to find Kris, who was talking to Luhan. He must’ve arrived when they were upstairs. More people from her class had shown up. Jacqueline hooked arms with Raven and went to get drinks.

Making her way to the kitchen Jacqueline almost yanked back poor Raven’s arm off when she heard a laugh. She might have not heard that laugh often, but she knew it was his.

Jacqueline placed her finger towards her lips to shush Raven and peeked around the corner. She was right.

“Jongin’s in there.” Jacq whispered. Raven looked to see that Jacqueline was right.

“What are you going to do?”

“I’m gonna…I don’t know.” Before she could dwell even more, Jacqueline’s feet seemed to have a mind of their own as she made her way into the kitchen.

Jongin’s back was to her, which she was momentarily thankful for. She took a deep breath and tapped his shoulder.

Time somehow slowed down as he turned to meet her eyes. One of the things she liked most about him was his eyes. How they seemed to say so much. How they managed to draw her in and make her not want to leave.

When Jongin realized Jacq was the one who wanted his attention, she saw a hint of surprise, then amusement. Of course amusement, it seemed as if anything that happens between them is amusing to him in some way.

 

Well, two can play that game. 

"Would you like to dance?"

"H-huh..?" 

"I said, would you like to dance?"

 


 

*Refuses to get on hands and knees but profusely apologizes* Not going to lie to you all, I had major writer's block for both stories I was working on. No other way to put it. So...thank you to anyone that has subbed for either story, and as always FEEDBACK is greatly appreciated. *Remember to do it with love. 

And I'm not telling if Jacqueline or Jongin asked the other to dance until...yeah. Bye!