A heart that ceases to beat

Discidium

A/N: So sorry for posting this late.. i had some errands done which made me travel within the city and under the scorching Philippine summer sun.

---

 


Sungmin counted  the says that passed as Yesung enlisted for the army. 4 weeks basic training and 23 months of military duties, he figured how many days would that be.

"730 days until i hold your hand again Yesung hyung" Sungmin muttered as he clutched the bed sheet tightly, pouring his heart out as he cried for the nth time since he sent him off.

Sungmin had tried endlessly to persuade the lover to take a ineligibility confirmation in the Minister of Defense like what he'd done for the exemption of military duties but they argued way to much about Sungmin' cowardly act and his negligence for his duty to his country. Sungmin swallowed Yesung's words like a bitter pill and it hurt his ego far worse than Yesung had thought it would.

"I am just afraid of the consequences of this duty. i love my country as uch as I love you but It pains me to know that serving my country means losing you." Sungmin recalled the words he muttered before Yesung walked out of the room weeks before.

"I just wish the tension won't breakout" Sungmin prayed before dozing off to sleep.

...

"Yoboseyeo?" Sungmin answered the phone and tears run down his eyes like a free flowing river.

"Hey Sungmin, I just called to tell you that I'll be going into formal training next week." Yesung muttered through the line and Sungmin can't master a single word.

"You ok?" Yesung asked and Sungmin gave out a sound which is half choking and half crying.

"Listen, I have a day off before my formal training, i'll come to visit." Sungmin's eyes went wind and was crying hard until Yesung ended the line. Somehow, he felt relieved that Yesung can visit them.

...

It looked liked a party as the whole Kim family, including Sungmin waited for Yesung's visit. The door opened and as Yesung stepped inside the small home, he was welcomed by a warm hug by each of the family member. Then a shy Sungmin walked towards him Yesung pulled him into a hasty kiss. Sungmin blushed as they were in front of the whole Kim household.

"We know you miss Sungmin so much so we understand this little act of yours. But since you are here and the food is waiting, let's eat." Mrs. Kim announced and they all happily ate the food.

After the dinner and the chat, Yesung led Sungmin to his bedroom and they poured out the longing that they had; sweat, blood and tears shared in one intimate moment.

"I love you so much Sungmin, no words can describe how much you mean to me!" Yesung whispered with a deep and hungry voice that sent shivers down Sungmin's spine.

"I love you too Yesung." Sungmin replied with equally hungry voice.

...


How much longer till their next meeting? apparently too long for Sungmin's convenience and when Yesung had been given a day off for good performance, a heart breaking news spread through out the peninsula.


"The North Korean Government had announced an all out war against South Korea for breaking the rules of agreement. The North Korea had launched an attack near  Incheon where both South Korean and American troops had marine exercise. Casualties are yet to be reported. All military are on red alert, men with ages 18 up  without exemptions are required to report to training camps immediately." The news anchor said as panic stricken Seoul prepared for the most feared war.

Sungmin clutched his heart as he heard the news. He looked at the younger brother whose face was stern but placid.

"Sungjin..." Sungmin muttered and the younger gave him a weak smile.

"I've had my training hyung, don't worry. i'll do my duty as a South Korean, I will protect our country." Sungjin muttered before leaving the room and entering his bedroom. After a while, he reemerges with a suitcase at hand. Their mother gave him a long hug and kissed his cheeks.

"Sungjin, please be careful." Mrs. Lee muttered and soon, Mr. Lee hugged his youngest and patted him on the back; he didn't say anything for the emotions might take the best of him. Sungmin walked towards the younger brother and tearfully grabbed his hand.

"Sungjin, I wish I could take your place, I'll go instead. You have a brighter future in store.." Sungmin muttered in between sobs.

"Hyung, it's ok. I am well aware of your condition and I wouldn't want to send you out there. Let me protect our country, and most importantly, our family." Sungjin muttered and took his leave. Sungmin fell to his knees as the worst had come, Yesung, Sungjin and even Jongjin, all three dear people out there in the middle of a pointless war for a parcel of land to claim.


....

The news was terrifying as the days passed and casualties rose; from a few dozens to hundreds of soldiers from both sides. One by one, South Korean Flags were given to each family whose husband, sons, uncles and nephews perished in the war. Each day Sungmin feared for the worse, whether Yesung, Sungjin or Jongjin had died protecting his countrymen.

Each day that passed brought out tremendous heartache and guilt as Sungmin stared at the empty spaces of his room.  He prayed endlessly for the safety of the three boys but he knew quite well how his prayer can only do little.

...
What seemed like forever ended as the UN had finally come terms with the 2 government  and reinstated the governing provisions of the Korean agreement. Unification wasn't part of the deal but the North Korean Government was forced to agree since their food relief from the UN would cease if they don't sign the papers. The exchange of bullets and missiles ended as the UN declared cease fire, but not without grieving nations who had lost too many innocent and brave lives for the country they cherished.

Sungmin breathed a sigh of relief as he heard the news ans soon, the mandatory military service would be lifted. He waited along with the Lee's and Kim's for the return of the three. He was excited to see three missed faces. All around him, he saw happy reunions and bitter returns as soldiers returned with bittersweet smiles and others, only ashes and flags as they took their last breath bravely facing their foes. As the crowd thinned, Sungmin saw two familiar faces walked towards them. They greeted them with tears and smile, Sungjin and Jongjin had survived.

"Where's Yesung hyung?" Sungmin asked as he searched for signs of the lover. The two younger siblings were quiet and avoided Sungmin's stare.

"Jin, where's Yesung? This is not the time to play pranks." Sungmin shouted at the two as he fought yet another episode of tears. He looked around, frantically searching for the man he loves but he was nowhere to be found. Then Jongjin took out the dog tag from his pocket and handed it to him.

"His commandin officer gave this to me, he told me that they cannot find his body but believed that it was thrown by the NoKor soldiers out at sea. I'm sorry Sungmin hyung, Jongwoon hyung has.." Jongjin muttered and Sungmin shook his head in disbelief.

"Don't say it. you are joking." Sungmin muttered as he continuously shook his head. "He will return to me! He promised me! Yesung! Yesung!" Sungmin shouted as loud as he could but Sungjin held his brother and embraced him into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry hyung." Sungjin muttered as he tried to calm the older brother but Sungmin kept on weeping to the point of losing all consciousness and blacking out in the arms of his dear brother.

Sungmin can't remember how to breathe anymore and felt like everything was a dream, Yesung isn't dead, he'll return. But try as he might, he won't erase the fact that Yesung won't be back.

Sungmin stared at the picture in front along with the hundreds of pictures who perished in the battle of one race, divided by North and South. He thought hard why brothers hurt each other for the sake of territorial and political gains. He despised the people who cared for power more than the sake of thousands who wished of a peaceful life. Sungmin heard canons being fired but lost count after the 3rd due to excessive sobbing. He was held by to pair of arms, his mother to his right and Mrs. Kim on his left. He was fragile as a new born child who needed his mother at such time.

"Mrs. Kim, Your son had fought as a noble man, he did not die in vain." His commandant handed a Korean flag and saluted. Mrs. Kim gave him a friendly smile and the commandant left the family. Mrs. Kim held the flag tighter to her as she fought the tears. She then turned to Sungmin and handed the flag, Sungmin was surprised.

"We had him as a son and he had shared countless memories for us to keep." Mrs. Kim paused as Jongjin handed her Yesung's military tag. Mrs. Kim wore it on Sungmin.

"I want Jongwoon to be with you, you are his other half." Mrs. Kim finished as Sungmin stare at the engraved numbers that represent Kim Jongwoon and his lover's name. His tears flowed even more as he saw the engraved message on the other side: My one and only Sungmin.

"Yesung!" Sungmin muttered endless as he cried and cried and he only stopped when sleep dawned on him.

And now he stare blankly at the picture on his bedroom, thinking how can he live without him? How can his heart beat again when the person it beats for dies?

Sungmin cuddled his knees and cried some more.

---

 


A/n: I know you want a happy ending and I am very sorry. I decided to go all out angsty on this chapter. But since I feel a bit guilty killing Yesung here, i would be posting another chapter to conclude this mini story.

>inspired by Yesung's enlistment<

 

thanks to pumpkinfox for pointing out my math error^^