Chapter 3

What I Live For

After that day with Yukwon, I've gone back to the studio to dance. I realized how much I missed dancing. Two years. Two years I've gone without dancing. I almost forgot how good it felt! It's like going a day without water but longer. So here I am in the dance studio that I've always loved, moving with the beat. I even made sure not to worsen the injury of my ankle. I practiced the small steps first, progressing up whenever I feel I did well.

Then Yukwon came by. We practiced the intense move from earlier in the week. Most of the time we practiced in silence, a routine without music. The only sounds heard were sneakers squeaking across the floor and panting. After a while, we stopped for the day. It was now 3pm. The two of us left the building and decided to hang out at a park nearby. 

"Oww, my legs hurt so much." I stated when we found a bench to sit on. I massaged my calves and sighed. "I haven't danced so much in so long!"

Yukwon let out a small chuckle. "What happened? Your ankle, I mean."

"Fractured it while doing that so-called crazy dance routine. The one I'm helping you with. It was the day of the competition and I guess I didn't tie my shoes tight enough so it slipped out and I twisted my ankle." I shrugged. "No big deal though. Two years are enough for this to heal."

We pretty much sat there for a while, enjoying each other's company. We talked about the little things - school, weather, hobbies. I told him I played guitar and his face lit up.

"You know, I could practice with you! I haven't played in a while." He smiled, his eyes becoming crescent shaped. Really, can he not get any cuter? 

I laughed. "Thanks a bunch. I started last year but I really can't play." I laughed in embarrassment.

He smiled. "It's alright. That's why I'm here, right?"

We talked a little bit more and decided that we should head back to my home. My parents greeted us with a smile as we walked through the door. They whispered something to each other and I saw my dad give my mom a stern look and shook his head as he sipped his tea. My mom rolled her eyes and walked back into the kitchen.

"Yukwon is here to help me play the guitar, so we'll be in my room practicing." I announced.

My dad nearly spat out his drink and began a coughing fit. "What?! Your room?!"

I nodded slowly, giving him a weird look. "Is that okay...?"

I heard my mother chuckle while my dad tried to regain his composure. "Alright. But keep your door open!"

I laughed and walked upstairs, Yukwon following close behind me. We finally reached my room at the end of the long hallway. My room wasn't fancy like everyone else's; my walls were coated in a sky blue color with a small white shelf attached to one side. My bed was simply white and I had a small desk in the corner. The window was wide, bringing lots of natural light into the room. I pulled out my chair for Yukwon and set it by my bed then reached for my guitar that was perched on its stand next to my bed. The two of us sat down and sighed.

"Where should we start?" He asked himself.

I smiled and held my guitar in position. "I know the scales and the notes and everything but I can't play a simple song like 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' without mixing my fingers up." I laughed.

He chuckled and took the guitar away from me, playing the said song. It was played smoothly, unlike mine, where all of my notes didn't make sense. I eyed his finger movements and positions, taking mental notes if them. When he was done, he handed the guitar back to me and I attempted to mimic his finger positions. 

My attempts were futile as I couldn't even get the tune right. Yukwon laughed and I pouted. "Not funny!" I whined. 

He stifled another laugh and rest his hand on my shoulder. "It takes practice, Soyeon. And that's why I'm here!" 

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Ok, so do that again..."

 

My eyes fluttered open and I realized that I was on my bed with my guitar right next to me. Did I practice again? I slowly sat up and nearly jumped when I saw Yukwon at my desk with his head down. I grunted softly and stretched my arms out before walking over to him to see if he was awake. Sure enough, he wasn't. I looked at him for a little bit longer. He was just so attractive. I took another minute to look at him, my eyes trailing along his silhouette.

"If you want, you could always take a picture. I've always been told my face has been attractive."

I shrieked and stumbled backwards slightly, my hand hovering over my chest in shock. Yukwon lifted his head and smiled at me while rubbing his eyes. "Oh my word, Yukwon, don't do that!"

"Hey, you were the one who was staring at me." He smirked.

I blushed. "Was not." He opened his mouth to retaliate but I cut him off. "Anyways, it's 5 o'clock. I can't believe we fell asleep." I muttered.

He lets out an obnoxiously loud, but cute, yawn and stretched. "Really? I've got to get going then." He picked up his sweater and we both walked downstairs and towards the front door. My parents were nowhere to be found and I wondered if they knew that Yukwon and I fell asleep. I shrugged the thought out of my mind as Yukwon opened the front door. He turned to me and grinned. "You know, if you want, I could send you my picture."

I rolled my eyes then laughed. "Go home, Yukwon."

"Okay, okay! I'll see you tomorrow then." He took two steps out the door, quickly turning back to me to kiss my cheek, and ran. 

I stood at the doorway for a few moments before it finally clicked in my head. "W-what the heck?!!"

 

Yukwon greeted me with a grin when I passed him in the hallway this morning. I smiled and waved, telling him I'll see him at lunch, not thinking about the kiss from yesterday. He probably only meant it in a friendly way. Friends do that right? I shrugged off the thought and walked towards my class but was surprised to see my brother at the teacher's desk. He was staring at me briefly before motioning me to come towards him. I obliged with a sigh.

"What are you doing, brother?"

He gave me a serious look. "I should be the one to ask you that." I raised a brow in confusion. Last time I checked, I was going to sit down at my desk and wait for my teacher to come in. "Mhmm. I saw what happened yesterday. You and Yukwon sleeping in your room. What was that all about? And don't even make me talk about him giving you a kiss."

I blushed. "O-ok, first of all, he was helping me play the guitar. And we weren't even sleeping on the bed together! Second of all, he only kissed my cheek. Like, in a friendly way!"

He shook his head. "My little sister will not be taken away from me!" He suddenly shot up from the seat and pulled me into a hug, while petting my head, and fake crying. My classmates walked in startled. I would be too, if I saw a fellow classmate being glomped by her older brother who's also a teacher at this school. Talk about being professional. Way to go, big bro. I attempted to pry myself from his embrace but to no avail. I'm already embarrassed by this and he wants to go ahead and say something ridiculous. "My precious baby sister...It's okay, I won't let anyone take you away. Big brother will protect you from all the evil boys out there."

I felt my face become hot as my classmates snickered. "Y-yah! Let go of me, you big idiot!"

"Uhh...Hyun- I mean, sonsaengnim?"

My brother stopped what he was doing and pushed me behind him protectively. I rolled my eyes when I saw it was Yukwon. "And YOU." Yukwon stepped back, startled. "How dare you kiss my baby sister! I trusted you, man." He began the fake tears. I glanced at my fellow classmates and nearly collapsed. They were watching us intently, as if this was all a drama.

"E-eh?" Yukwon held his hands in front of him to calm my brother down. 

I begin to hear my classmtes whisper amongst themselves. "Yukwon oppa is going to be in trouble if we don't stop Park sonsaengnim." "Yes, but this is a problem Soyeonnie must fix!" "Park sonsaengnim looks angry, though. I must say, I understand what it's like to have an older brother like that." The girls looked at me and did a 'hwaiting' fist pump. 

I wanted to cry. "Yah yah! Jintae! Could you shut up and leave your student alone and actually do what you're supposed to do?" I scolded. 

My brother turned around. "Soyeonnie! Are you taking his side? Do you like him?" He nearly shrieked. 

I felt my face twitch. He's the most oddest and immature teacher I've ever seen in the history of odd teachers. "And what if I did?" Yukwon looked at me, his eyes wide.

By this time, the classroom was filled with all of my classmates and I heard them gasp. My brother also gasped. "Park Soyeon!"

"Can we just start class??"