Chapter 2

What I Live For

Yukwon had been dragged over to my house once again by my brother. Their relationship is funny. My brother is the teacher and Yukwon is the student, yet, they're like good friends. Then again, there's not much of an age difference. My brother is only 3 years older.

I was in the kitchen cooking dinner when they came over. I smiled and greeted them. "Welcome home big bro! Hey, Yukwon! You guys are home pretty late." I turned back around and started strring the soup.

"Yeah, we were at the studio practicing." My brother replied. "I'm so tired, Soyeon-ah~"

I laughed. "Dinner's almost ready. Go shower or change or something. Mom and dad's coming home soon."

"Yeah," He sighed, "I'll go do that." And with that, he headed upstairs.

Yukwon stood beside me, looking into the pot. "What are you making?"

"Gomtang(Oxtail soup). It's really good." I jokingly brag.

He laughed just as my father came home. "Hey, Soyeon-ah! Is that dinner I smell?" He walked into the kitchen, set down his briefcase, and looked up only to find that Yukwon was standing beside me. 

I let out a nervous laugh. "Welcome home, daddy."

"Soyeon-ah, who is this?"

He pointed to Yukwon who gave him a bow and cleared his throat. "My name is Kim Yukwon, sir."

"Yukwon is brother's dance student. They came over to practice." I stated slowly. 

The air in the kitchen was intensely awkward until my father broke into a grin and shook Yukwon's hand then patting him on the back. "Nice to meet you, son! Would you like to stay for dinner? My girl's a great cook for someone her age! Hahaha!" He let out a hearty laugh and took off his coat, heading upstairs to his bedroom.

When he was out of sight, I let out a sigh. My dad can get a little weird sometimes.. "Sorry about that! He has an odd personality. I can never tell if he's angry or happy." I mumbled.

Yukwon shook his head. "He seems nice, though."

"Oh yeah, my dad's really nice! He's rarely seen mad which is why I can never tell." After adding in the last ingredients, I turned the stove off and popped the lid back on. "So, are you staying for dinner?"

He shrugged. "I don't want to seem like the 5th wheel in a family dinner." He chuckled.

"Aw, you should stay! You heard my dad, I'm a great cook for someone my age~" I bragged, grinning. "Besides, my family's cool. There's no such thing as a 5th wheel." I laughed.

"Right, then I'll go call my mom."

 

Dinner went surprisingly well - my dad kept chatting it up with Yukwon, asking him how old he is, when his birthday was, what his hobbies were, etc etc. "Hey! My daughter used to dance! She even plays the guitar a bit!" My dad exclaimed. Everyone began to talk together and suddenly, I felt like the 5th wheel, not that I minded.

After dinner, mom and dad went upstairs to watch a movie in their room. "It was nice meeting you son! Come over again sometime."

Yukwon grinned happily. "Nice to meet you too."

"Hey, Soyeon, Yukwon." My brother said, "I've gotta meet someone at the cafe."

We both looked at him. "Ok, and?" My brother smiled, an odd kind of smile that you will only see a guy make when he's thinking about his favorite girlgroup that he really loves, considering the fact that my bro doesn't have a girlfriend. Unless.. "Woah! This isn't just some 'meet up!' Finally Jintae! You're going on a date!" I grabbed his hands and jumped around. "And here, I thought you were going to grow up as a lonely old man." I wiped my imaginary tear as Yukwon had a laughing fit and my brother's ears turned red. "Go on, go~ We'll just watch a movie or something."

My brother raised a brow at us. "Really now? A movie? What movie?"

I swatted him away and pushed him towards the door with Yukwon handing him his car keys, wallet, and coat. "Have a nice day~" We both said in unison, waving at him. He grunted and gave a curt wave back, slipping into his car and driving away.

"Are we going to follow him?" Yukwon asked. Amazing, this kid can read minds. 

I laughed. "Yep!"

~

We found ourselves sitting in front of my brother, talking about the upcoming dance competition. "There's this one move that almost made her win her last one. However..."

I stared hard at my brother, obviously not wanting to be reminded of that terrible accident that practically sent me to the hospital, hence, the reason I don't dance, or can't dance. I let out a soft frustrated sigh and ran my fingers through my hair. "Almost my first win after 15 competitions." It was quiet until I had to break it. "But I still remember the moves, I can guide you through it if you want!" I say, trying to lift the awkward mood.

My brother stared at me in surprise. "Soyeon, are you sure? How can you do it without showing it? That move was pretty much impossible."

I held up my hand to shush him and pulled Yukwon up to stand with me. "I'm going to try not to hurt myself then. Come on, Yukwon. I'll show you, but it'll take a lot of practice."

We were dancing for hours, drenched in sweat. My brother had already left for his date - he finally found himself a girlfriend. I collapsed on the floor in exhaustion and Yukwon fell beside me. We were panting, not being able to feel our muscles.

"Jeez, how'd you come up with a crazy move like this?" Yukwon said in between gasps.

I laughed. "I really wanted to win. I mean, after 15 competitions, you think you'd finally come up with a killer routine that will blow the people off their feet."

We both laid like that for a while, regaining our energy. My mother came to visit the studio to see our progress and nearly dropped her purse when she saw me on the ground. "Park Soyeon! Please tell me you weren't dancing!" She ran over to me and picked up my leg., pulling my pant leg up and examined my ankle. "Did you hurt it sweetie?"

I tried to sit up, Yukwon helping me. "Mom, I'm fine. Nothing happened! I promise." I reassured.

She sighed and sat down. "Alright. But don't push it okay? Your ankle's not as strong as it used to be." I nodded, obviously disappointed at my ankle. If only I hadn't failed. "Anyways! I brought you kids lunch since I figured you guys haven't eaten anything." Mom popped out 2 sandwiches and 2 colas from her bag and smiled sheepishly. "I hope the sandwich is good."

I grabbed it hungrily, unwrapping it, and taking a big bite. "Ugh, mom.." I started chewing. "What are you talking about? These are delicious." The ham, cheese, mayoniase, honey mustard, lettuce, a hint of black pepper - they just go perfectly well together. I grabbed the other sandwich and handed it to Yukwon. "It's really good, I promise." I joked. He chuckled and took a bite, nodding in approval. My mom stared at the two of us. I coughed to get her attention. "Something wrong mom?" She simply smiled and shook her head. She finally left us alone to practice again but not without giving me a warning about my ankle.

It was already dinnertime by the time we finished. My brother called me, scolding me about staying out too long. "Well, you knew I was with Yukwon!"

The both of us were walking towards my house - he was dropping me home. "I'll see you tomorrow, Soyeon." He smiled and I nodded back with a smile.

"Bye~" I waved and walked up to my front door.

As soon as I touched the door knob, my brother revealed himself frowning. "What? He left before making sure you went in?"

"Uh, hyung, I'm still here!" Yukwon shouted from the sidewalk, grinning.

Jintae laughed embarrasedly and waved him off. "Thanks, Yukwon-ah! See you tomorrow at school!"

I rolled my eyes at him and pushed him aside to go in. "You're so weird, I'm actually surprised you managed to get a girlfriend."

"Hey! That's not nice!"