Staring at the face of calamity

Trapped
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We drive for a short amount of time before stopping. I stare at the back of Kai’s head wondering why he stopped. "What's going on? Why did you stop?" I ask.

Instead of answering my questions he just climbs back and sits next to me. He doesn't look at me either which I find to be a little unsettling. What is he going to do this time?

"What are you doing?" I mutter.

Kai turns to face me quickly. It scares me how quickly he moves. "I know this isn't the best time but...." He trails off. I have a bad feeling about this.

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "I know you have feelings for Tao, whatever they might be, and I know this is the worst possible moment for me to do this to you but I can't hold back any longer."

I know now that this is bad. I stare at him waiting for him to continue.

"Do you feel anything for me?" He asks.

I stare at him. I know exactly what he means but I have no idea how to answer him.

"Things are complicated." I finally say. "I haven't been thinking about things like that."

He shakes his head. "Don't lie. I can always tell when you’re lying Scar." He says. He reaches out and touches my cheek gently. "You know I like you right?"

He stares at me with sad eyes.

All I can do is nod.

I want you to tell me how you feel about me." He whispers it like he is afraid I am going to reject him, but in all honesty I don't know what to do. I don’t think I can reject him but I know I can’t tell him that I like him back either.

"I-I-I don't know what to say."

Kai drops his hand from my cheek, leaving a burning sensation behind. "I know you feel something for me and just know that I'll wait for you to figure it out, but I won't wait forever and I won't stand by and watch you with someone else.

He moves to the front of the ship without another word. He starts the ship’s engine again. We start moving back to the house.

I struggle to figure out what just happened. Kai just told me he liked me but I had already known that. I just don't think I like him that way. I don't know though. I just can’t deal with all these things at once.

I lose myself in my thoughts and left the thrum of the engine ease my worries.

All too soon we are back at the house, connecting to the tunnel. Kai turns the engine off and opens the door. "You can go." He says. "I want to be alone for a while."

For some reason guilt consumes me. I don't think I have anything to be guilty of though. I haven’t even thought about what I am going to say to Kai, I haven’t figured anything out.

I sigh and get out of the ship, I walk down the tunnel and I stop before entering the house. I take a deep breath my hand on the door knob.

I enter the house and immediately feel that there is something wrong. The whole place is completely silent as if there is no one inside except for me. This house is never quiet like this, ever. I make it about ten steps before I see the blood. It covers almost every surface in the kitchen. Things that were white are now red and shiny with the wetness of blood.

I slowly back my way to the tunnel. Once the door to the tunnel is shut behind me I turn and run back down to the ship. "Kai!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

My voice sounds so panicked that it scared me even more.

Kai instantly jumps from the front seat of the ship and is outside standing before me. "What's wrong?" He asks.

"Blood, blood everywhere. Something is wrong." I say out of breath.

"Stay in the ship." Kai nudges me into the ship.

I swallow hard and sit down in the seat nearest to the door as Kai disappears into the house.

I tap my foot anxiously against the floor as I wait for Kai. I don’t look anywhere else except for the door into the house.

I begin to get jittery after a while. I stand up and get out of the ship. I stand there and stare down the short tunnel at the door. Should I go look for Kai? A bad feeling rises in the pit of my stomach and crawls its way up my throat.

Instead of being stupid and going in there, I’m going to trust my i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter