Chapter 6

As Fate Would Have It

 

“Hurry up!”

 

You heard the loud voice of one of your customers bellowing over the crowd inside of the cafe.

 

“I'm coming!” you chimed in response, grabbing two plates of freshly prepared food off of the cook's counter before squeezing through the other waiters to your table.

 

“Here you are!” You chimed in, a polite grin plastered on your face as you set the plates in front of the two men seated in your section. One of them grumbled something lowly that sounded something like 'about time,' but it obviously wasn't meant for your ears so you simply ignored it.

 

You quickly refilled the men's drinks before bowing politely, letting them know not to hesitate if they needed anything else before checking on your other tables. You made your way back behind the counter once you were certain that your section was taken care of and you wiped the back of your hand across your forehead in exhaustion.

 

“Yah! Why are there so many people here??”

 

You laughed as one of your coworkers, Jung Hee, flew past you in an attempt to get a tray of chocolate shakes to a table of giggling teenage girls. You shook your head before glancing up at the clock on the wall. You sighed a heavy breath of relief when you saw that your shift was almost over.

 

You grabbed a bottle of cleaner and a clean rag before you started bussing all of the tables that had already been emptied.

 

It wasn't often that the tiny cafe that you worked at got busy the way it was today. You worked in a secluded corner of Seoul but every so often you would encounter an onslaught of customers whenever there was an event in the area. And it just so happened that there was a parade on the street right in front of the cafe door.

 

At least you got more money out of it.

 

You glanced up, catching sight of one of the floats rolling by the window slowly. You grinned at the group of cute children who were waving at the passerby’s on the sidewalk from their spots on the moving makeshift castle. Their float must be sponsoring some sort of charity event. You waved back through the window before turning around to find that your section was emptying quickly.

 

You nodded to each customer as they passed, bowing as you said goodbye and went to collect your tips from the tables and clear their finished meals.

 

You stayed an hour longer than you needed to help clean up from the sudden rush of customers. You glanced behind you when you heard Jung Hee shout goodbye and waved, smiling at him before beginning your walk home.

 

Hands shoved in the pockets of your jacket, you put your ear buds in and your iPod, the melody of Infinite's “Chaser” ringing in your ears. You smiled slightly at the song, it being one of your favorites as you made the journey to your apartment.

 

You kept your head down as you walked, entering the all too familiar neighborhood that you had lived in your entire life. You glanced at an old house in passing, memories flooding your mind as you thought back all of the times you had spent there.

 

At least you didn't have to call it home anymore.

 

It had been several months after your parents disappearance that you had finally heard word of their whereabouts. They had taken off to Hong Kong, desperate to get away from the debt collectors and drug dealers that were constantly hounding your surroundings and left you to clean up the mess that they had left behind in Seoul.

 

You had managed to pay off the majority of your parents' debt with the several part time jobs you worked. You finished high school late, not going back until you received help and some encouragement from a family who lived not far from your old residence. College, however, had been out of the question. Perhaps once you finished paying off your parents debts then there would be room for consideration.

 

You were brought of your thoughts when you found yourself tripping forward, having been so lost in your own thoughts that you hadn't noticed the a soccer ball rolling out in front of you. You lost your balance, having tried to dodge out of the way at the last moment and you fell forward on your hands in knees. You winced at the sudden contact with the concrete and pushed yourself back, falling on your while you tried dusting your hands off on your jeans.

 

“Hey! I'm so sorry! I tried to stop you but I don't think you could hear me--”

 

“It's fine.” You cut off the person speaking, your headphones having fell out of your ears when you lost your balance and you started to push yourself back to your feet.

 

“Need some help?” You saw a boy's hand enter you line of vision and you blinked, glancing up to take a look at the stranger who had caused this incident.

 

It was like deja vu and the last three years of your life came back and slapped you in the face all at once.

 

You felt your heart leap into your throat as you quickly took in your surroundings. You could see, and hear, a group of boys shouting for their friend at the park across the street.

 

Hard pavement. A dirty soccer ball.

 

And Moon Jongup.

 

You pulled the hood to your jacket up over your head quickly upon realizing that Moon Jongup was currently standing in front of you, but the damage was already done and your cover was blown the second you put it up.

 

“... ____?” You cursed yourself inwardly for not thinking faster and you kept your head down, ignoring his outstretched hand and pushing yourself up to your feet.

 

“Mianhe..” you mumbled, your hands going into the pockets of your jacket once more. “It was my fault.”

 

You bowed quickly and made your way around him but he grabbed your elbow, stopping you.

 

You froze, holding your breath and closing your eyes tightly as he moved to stand in front of you. You honestly thought that unless it was through your TV screen, you would never see Jongup again.

 

It hadn't been long after your argument that you heard word of Jongup debuting in an idol group called B.A.P. It took you months before you could watch one of their performances, but only through the eyes of the television.

 

It had hurt just as bad as it would have if it had been in real life.

 

It took you a year to get over it—to get over him and the way you had treated him that last day.

 

You sifted through your brain for things to say, not having been prepared for your meeting with a boy you left scorned three years prior.

 

“Woahh! It is you!”

 

You were engulfed in a bone crushing hug only seconds later.

 

Your eyes widened, unsure of what to do before you settled for patting his back awkwardly.

 

“Uhm.... hi.”

 

He laughed, pulling back to look at you with his hands clamped on both of your shoulders.
 

“Hi?”

 

You didn't respond. His grin only widened before he pulled you into another hug.

 

“I see you haven't changed much.” he inquired before pulling back once more, this time dropping his hands to his sides. You took this opportunity to glance at him finally, noticing that he still looked like the same boy you met three years ago—despite a growth spurt and some extra muscles.

 

“..You too.” you responded, attempting a forced smile. You could feel your cheeks heating up slightly.

 

His grin widened and he looked over his shoulder at the sound of his name being called across the field before turning his attention back to you.

 

“How have you been?” he asked. “I haven't heard from you in a while.”

 

A while is an understatement, you thought. You just smiled lightly.

 

“I've been busy.” you replied shortly. “What about you? I heard you've been way more busy than I have.”

 

He laughed lightly, rubbing the back of his neck out of habit—a trait he always portrayed when he was feeling embarrassed. You grinned inwardly at the thought.

 

“..We should go grab something to eat. The guys are starving and we should catch up.” he suggested, looking at you cautiously.

 

You stayed silent for a moment. “.. I've got to--...”

 

“Please,” he said quickly, cutting you off. “I promise I won't keep you out all night. We haven't seen each other in years.”

 

You sighed in defeat and nodded. “OK,” you said. “But only for a little bit.”

 

He grinned before grabbing your wrist, pulling you along behind him as he made his way back over to the rest of the boys. Your eyes widened as you realized what had just happened.

 

You were about to go out with B.A.P.

 

You felt as though your night was about to become far more interesting.