wake up call

Melody of Our Hearts

Dr. Lau was a well known surgeon and specialist. He has received many recognition and is well respected in the medical world. His dream for his children is to be the same, successful and respected. Her eldest son became a neurosurgeon, his eldest daughter became a pediatrician, his youngest daughter was a dentist while his youngest son was an intern nurse. He was happy and content with the three children, however, he was always concerned with the youngest Henry.

 

"Henry, I want you to be a nurse and help me out"  Dr. Lau muttered and Henry replied softly "huh.. I mean.. if.." 

"well then it's settled.."

Henry frowned as he walked back to his room and fill out the college entrance exam application form. He wrote BS Nursing on the blank provided and he breathed out heavily.

"I want to be a musician.. not a nurse"

 

He murmured to himself as he blankly stares at the form.

 

For three years, he studied a course he never liked, a course he never loved, a course he merely took for his father's sake. Since his dad was well known, he was able to get an internship in the prestigious hospital.

-=-=--=-=-=-=-

Henry sighed as he looked outside the window and gazed at the starry sky.

 

"You know, you are worthless"

 

Henry was taken aback at the words and he turn to see a very serious Ryeowook, staring back at him.

 

"You have all the capabilities and chances but you never used them"  Henry's ears twitched at the words spoken by the sick girl.

"how dare you say that! You don't know me!" Henry muttered, trying hard not to shout at her.

"and neither do you! Don't pretend that you know yourself, it's a lie"

"how can you..."

"I'll be straight to the point, Henry. You are wasting your time moping around at the lost chances and opportunities given to you. You are well enough to do all sorts of things but hindered yourself for your security. It's a worthless life. I wanted to do a lot of things but can't since I'm stuck here. But you? Get a real life"  Ryeowook said it point blank and Henry could only clench his fist.

 

Henry stormed out the room and slammed the door behind him. How could that brat say those things to him? He was fuming with anger when Yabu greeted him on the corridor.

"Get a life!"

"why the attitude, I'm just greeting you"

The two sat on the couch inside the nurses' lounge and decided to talk it out on a cup of coffee.

"what is it with you?"  Yabu asked, concerned at the friend.

"that BRAT! How can she say that to me!"  Henry half shouted.

"hmmm.. Wookie?" Yabu asked with a gentle smile.

"woo who?"  Henry asked.

"Ryeowook" 

"yah that brat!"

"did she asked you why you became a nurse?" Yabu inquired and Henry replied  "yes"

 

Yabu laughed a little and took a sip of his coffee.

"you know, she also asked me the same question when I was assigned to her."  Yabu said in a matter-factly tone

"and you said?"  Henry asked.  "you know my story.."  Yabu continued.  "you and your brother?" Henry pushed on.

"yes.. back then, my brother was diagnosed with leukemia, he was rather young and we feared that we'll lose him. But a certain nurse took really good care of him and had given him hope to recover. She was kind and she took really good care of my brother just like a real mother would. From then I realized that the profession I would take is that of a nurse; I wanted to give hope to people and take care of them, nurture them, make them feel safe"  Yabu stated and Henry shook his head.

"now I look more pathetic"  Henry said, feeling low and useless.

"Henry, it's not that, well what did Wookie told you?"  Yabu asked and got a soft murmur from Henry. 

"Get a life!"

Yabu laughed harder this time. 

"you know she's right!" Yabu said, sipping his coffee again.

"how.. you!" Henry screamed.

"if you really wanted to be a musician, then do so.."  Yabu said it so plainly, Henry looked at him in disbelief.

"and then what? Waste the three years I've spent in this course? No way!"

"no one's telling you to shift, Henry. We are trying to say is that you could do what you love as well"

Yabu finally stood up and took a lollipop from his bag and went out the room.

"oi!"  Henry called.

"Chinen is getting his first Chemotherapy tonight, I wanted to be there.."  Yabu said in his perfectly caring voice.

"why?"

"He reminded me of my brother, I wanted to encourage him as well"

Henry was left there to ponder on the words and think about what he really wants to do with his life. He talked to Ryeowook's attending physician and was a little startled at what he just found out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 

It was early morning when Ryeowook was awoken with a knock on the door. Henry entered the room to hand in her medicine. She downed them all and thank him for taking care of her.

"I'm sorry"  Ryeowook said as Henry retrieved the meedicine cup. 

"what for?" Henry asked.

"hurting your feelings"  Ryeowook said as she looked at the young nurse

"hmm.. I'm fine.."  Henry assured the girl.

"you're not.."   came the reply and Henry sighed

"how can you tell?"  HEnry asked, a small smile on his face, quite bitter too.

"I don't know, it's just that.. I can't explain it.."

Henry looked at her, puzzled and worried. Ryeowook looked back and smiled.

"it's just that, I can feel your uneasiness.. I'm not insensitive."

Henry took a seat and listened to her. She tried hard to explain but can't seem to find the right words to express what she was feeling

"Ryeowook, what do you want to do?"  Henry suddenly asked

Ryeowook was puzzled at the sudden question but smiled nonetheless.

"I wanted to do a lot of things.. write a novel, compose songs, teach children, attend the prom, have my first date, learn to dance the waltz, have my first kiss.."

Ryeowook stopped and looked at Henry who was smiling back at her.

"I'm sorry.." She said and Henry shook his head.

"no it's ok.. do you really like to do all those stuff?"  Henry asked and Ryeowook sighed heavily.

"if I have the chance... why not.."

Henry can see the hope that glistened in her eyes, similar to Yabu's eyes when he was taking care of his patients.

 

"let's say.. if I give you three chances to do those things.. what would you want to do?"

 

Henry was now dead serious and Ryeowook was surprised. She blushed as she turn away and instead look out side the window.

"I'd.. like to... well.. have my first date.."   She shyly said, stuttering in the process.

"ok.. if that's what you want." 

Henry then stood up and left the room. Ryeowook clutched her heart which was beating in a very ridiculous fast pace.

"is he serious?"


a/n: Update!