The Meeting

Melody of Our Hearts

Henry was taking his coffee break when his silent world got disturbed by a loud yell from behind.

 

“HENRY!!!”

 


Henry looked around to see a bubbly Yabu with a box of chocolates at one hand and a stuffed bear on the other.

 


“is it valentine’s day?” Henry asked curiously

 


“of course not.. these are for a cute little boy on the children’s ward, he’s pretty lonely” Yabu replied.

 


“huh?” Confusion painted on his face

 


“he’s Japanese ok.. that’s why we are here Henry..” 

 


“I know.. to take care of them..” Henry finished for him

 


“why are you that way.. you don’t look so happy serving people” Yabu asked

 


“it’s just that..”

 


“oh don’t remind me.. you were only forced to do so..”

 


Yabu walked towards the Children’s ward to attend to his new patient. Yabu was a very dedicated nurse despite being just an intern. It’s innate in him to take care of others, Henry was not the same. Henry was never interested in taking care of people, he never wanted any relationship with medicine. He was just forced to be one, for his dad was a well known surgeon. HE only did what his father dictates but he really wanted to write songs and play the piano and violin.

 

Henry stood up and went on his way to meet a few Chinese patients and help them out with their prescriptions. The two are interns on a large Hospital in Seoul. They are needed in there since it is an internationally recognized facility. Patients from all over the world go there to seek treatment; and they need staff that can understand and attend to each patient.

 


Henry smiled as he entered the Children’s ward and talk to the little girl in pig tails.

 


“hmm Victoria, ni hao ma?”

 


-=-=-=-=-=-

 

Every now and then Ryeowook liked to feel the cool breeze on her face. With the permission of her doctor, she would climb up to the roof and sit by the ledge. She would hum a melody she never knew where she got. She would close her eyes and sing a couple of notes and impromptu words and lines.

Henry stepped out from the room and sighed to himself. He hates himself for not being man enough to stand up for his own future; he just succumbed to the wills of his dad. He closed his eyes and hummed a tune; a tune he never knew where he got but felt it was part of him.

Yabu stepped out of the Children’s ward and listened to the usual voice of his Korean friend and patient, but this time was different, for there was another voice, blending with Ryeowook’s voice in perfect harmony. Yabu followed the voice and smiled when he saw Henry leaning on the corridor wall with eyes closed and humming the familiar tune.

“hmm.. so you do have a great voice..” Yabu muttered with a smile

“huh?! When did you get here?” Henry was surprised to see his friend beside him

“a few moments ago..” Yabu muttered before walking away

-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Ryeowook gazed outside the window to stare at the beautiful full moon. She smiles as she closes her eyes and recalled the past: when she walked the halls of her highschool and how boys would stare at her all the tim. She would smile and wave to some, she is Ms. Popular and she is neither a geek nor a cheerleader, she is just the normal girl next door.


“sorry to burst your bubble”


She was drawn back to earth by a familiar voice.


“your medicine”


Ryeowook smiled sweetly and downed the bitter medicine. She gently smiled and said thank you, then looked back at the pale moon.


“you seem lost in space?” Henry asked

“hmm.. I am.. just recalling my childhood” Ryeowook shyly replied

“you’re not that old you know” Henry muttered with a smile


“yeah, I guess I’m not.. uhmm Henry, do you like being a nurse?” Ryeowook asked.


“why’d you ask?”


“well I see you smile at your patients but there is no light in your eyes” She said in a slightly curious tone


“am I that obvious?” Henry half laughed and half sighed

“well to me at least” She confessed


“then I have no choice but to tell the truth”

 

Henry took in a deep breath and looked at Ryeowook with a smile