Part 1

Melody of Our Hearts

It took years of hard work and patience before Mr and Mrs. Kim conceived their only daughter. They named her Ryeowook. She is a bubbly angel and not to mention a lethal combination of beauty and brains: le Femme Fetal. She was perfect until that fateful day.

 


Ryeowook was going to school one day, when she fainted in front of her bedroom door. She knocked her head and bled. Mrs. Kim rushed her daughter to the hospital and received very heartbreaking news.

 



“Ma’am, the prognosis is not good, To put it simply, your daughter has brain cancer. She will gradually loose her memory and other nervous and cerebral function. The progress would be undetermined at the moment since it is in the early stage. Treatments would be given to her but it will take a toll on her fragile body. She will have a hard time living a normal life.”



Mrs. Kim was strong as she took the news, her eyes are welling up with tears but tried to keep it in.



“was it because she was a Menopausal baby?”



“there is a possibility, but there are a lot of factors to consider. I understand she is still young..”



“Doc, what is the possibility of her survival.”



“as I’ve said, we cannot determine it right now. But it’s in an early stage so we may have a higher chance”



“I’ll hold on to that!”



Ryeowook was only 18 and the homecoming queen. She may never be able to experience that now, she’ll be stuck inside the hospital for the rest of her life. Ryeowook kept her faith and hope that someday she’ll be able to smile back to her mom without worries and tears in her eyes. It was a rather hard feat, when you know everything is melancholic and death hangs above her head.



-=-=-=-=-=-


Ryeowook lied on her hospital bed staring out the window on hopes to get a glimpse of a happy family going out on a Sunday, for family day. She smiled as a family of four walked by her window, smiles were on their faces. There was a knock on her door and a young lad in nurse’s outfit entered.

 


“Hello, Kim Ryeowook?”

 


The young lad asked and Ryeowook turned to look at the foreign face.

 


“Yes.. and you?”

 


“oh, I’m Henry, I’m an intern here.”

 


“hello Henry, you don’t look like you’re Korean”

 


“you’re smart, I’m Canadian.”

 


“really? You look more like a Chinese to me”

 


Henry laughed and wrote something on his notepad.

 


“yah.. I’m Chinese but I was born in Canada so technically, I’m Canadian”

 


“wow.. Sugoi neh!”

 


“you know Japanese?”

 


“not much, just that my previous nurse was Japanese.”

 


“Yabu-kun?”

 


Ryeowook Nodded her pretty little head.

 


“I guess you two got close”

 


“Will you be my new nurse?”

 


“Apparently, you got a record for being a very nice patient, so new interns are assigned to you before they handle new jobs..”

 


“So I am a training ground?”

 


“not really..”

 


Just then another person entered the room.

 


“NEh.. you two getting along?”

 


 


“Yabu-kun.. am I that nice?”

 


“yes you are super nice.. so be super nice to my buddy mocchi here!”

 


“Mocchi?”

 


“See these cheeks..”

 


Yabu cupped and pinched Henry’s cheeks until they got red. Henry was furious but Ryeowook only laughed.

 


“you two are funny..”

 


Yabu ruffled Henry’s hair and exited the room. Henry gently comb back his hair with his fingers before turning back to his patient. Ryeowook was extending her hand, Henry looked confused.

 


“aren’t you going to take blood samples?”

 

“Oh.. well.. it’s not my job.. it’s a med tech’s duty.”

 


“Oh.. so why are you here..”

 


“I really don’t know myself..”

 


“then talk to me.”

 


“Why..”

 


“I just want to here some new stories..”

 


“where do I start?”