Chapter 3

Still I Miss You

a/n: gosh you guys are so amazing and your comments make me go asdlfsldkfhgs; i apologize i don't really reply to most of yours, but i do read them all and i love them so much, thank you! ♥♥♥


 

Woohyun's the first to wake the next morning, the clock on the bedside table reading a time too early for his liking. He let out a soft breath; he couldn't sleep that well anyway. He knows Howon's finally here, with him–and don't get him wrong, he's entirely grateful–but he still doesn't feel at ease, like every little worry is picking away at his own being.

He turns on his other side and is a bit startled to find another figure next to him, but he had forgotten how much he'd missed Hoya when he'd slept. Usually, his nights at the business ended late, the never-ending paperwork and stocks and files keeping him even until midnight. Hoya had understood his work before, as he used to work in that very same business himself, but he had quit after a while for that very same reason of those late, headache-inducing hours. Woohyun of course had felt guilty knowing Hoya would go to bed alone, but the other would always assure him with a small smile that it's fine, Hyun.

Woohyun frowned at the view of Hoya's back still facing him as he slept. He bit his lip, noticing the way Hoya was sleeping close to the edge, and Woohyun ran his hand across the big gap it left between them on the bed. He wanted so badly to wrap his arms around the other, melting into the relaxing warmth as he would run his fingers through the dark brown hair and trace shapes against his chest. He wanted to kiss the back of his neck and tell him that everything was going to be alright (though maybe it was himself he needed it to be told to).

With a sigh, Woohyun quietly pulled the covers off himself and decided he'll just take a long, hot shower for now.

When Hoya heard the door shut, he let out a deep breath and gripped tighter onto the blanket. He's been awake for a while now, watching the way the curtains float softly as a breeze blew in from the slightly-opened window, and getting lost in his thoughts every few minutes. He to his back and the view of the white, bare ceiling greets him, but he only scrunches his nose at the sight and turns to his other side, facing the part of the bed now cold and empty.

He frowned and pulled his blanket tighter against himself to get more warmth, snuggling closer into the soft mattress which he found was definitely more comfortable than the bed back at the hospital. He feels that, oddly, it felt much more comfortable when he could feel Woohyun's presence next to him on the bed, like just him being here sheltered him in a satisfying warmth. He bites the inside of his cheek and starts to wonder: how must Woohyun be feeling? Having to deal with him who no longer remembers anything about the other, no less anything at all. 

He stares at a framed painting on the wall facing him, a painting of a sun against the horizon, and he purses his lips to the side and thinks. He wonders if the artist's intention was of the dawn's setting sun, or perhaps the sun rising into day, and he thinks of Woohyun again. Why does he even care for me?

And suddenly one by one, questions start to surface, but one had stuck out prominently in his mind. Who exactly is Nam Woohyun? He knows the man now is apparently a close friend from what he's told, but surely he's one who really cares for him, lives with him, and even sleeps on the same bed as him. Was Woohyun lying? And was Woohyun possibly–?

Hoya doesn't dare finish that thought as he grips tightly at the sheets on the unoccupied space beside him. He suddenly hears the sound of the doorknob turning and quickly turns back on his other side, evening his breathing. He listens to the faint steps of feet against carpet, the quiet opening of the closet, and the shuffle of cloth and rattling of hangers. He swears he hears a tired sigh and a mumble of "Howon...", but the door shuts once again before he could think too much about it.

 

When Hoya decides to finally get out of bed, he steps out of the room and is greeted by the aroma of food cooking and the sound of sizzling in a frying pan. He peeks into the kitchen and finds Woohyun at the stove, gripping firmly onto the handle of the pan as his other hand stirs the rice inside generously. Woohyun notices Hoya's presence and greets him with a smile and a "Good morning", while the other gives a tiny nod in acknowledgement and utters a small "Morning" without meeting the other's eyes. Woohyun shifts his attention back to his cooking, once again hiding the dissatisfied look in his eyes. "I'm cooking up some fried rice. Are you hungry?"

Hoya hums as a response, taking another step into the kitchen. Woohyun takes a sideways glance and finds Hoya fidgeting awkwardly in his place, staring down at the tiles of the kitchen.

"Don't forget to take your medications," Woohyun half-smiles and points to the counter behind him where a glass of water and two pills are already set.

Hoya nods, making his way to the counter with his back facing the other. He swallows the medicine down and cringes at the bitter taste it leaves in his mouth, gulping down half the glass of water to wash it away. He sets the glass down with a rather loud thud, and he desperately wants to say something to Woohyun; a "How are you?" or an "Are you alright?" or maybe just even a straightforward "I'm sorry", but he only gives a deep sigh and chugs down the rest of the water in his glass.

 

Hoya pokes at his fried rice, barely listening to Woohyun ramble on from across the dining table about how he couldn't decide on what to make for breakfast. He's lost in his thoughts again, and one thing he wonders is why Woohyun's never brought up anything about the accident, but he just figures it's on purpose. It's okay, though; he doesn't really want to talk about it either.

"–even considered making something sweet but I'd think you'd like a little meal better." Woohyun says, going off again about his cooking and purposefully avoiding any discouraging talk. He feels that if they so much as touch on that subject, he might just break. He still feels like he's the one to blame for everything, the guilt eating at him constantly, so now he's just rattling on about how I made sure to put extra vegetables because I know how much you used to like them and

"I trust you," Hoya says directly, looking Woohyun straight in the eye.

The other blinks, taken aback for a few seconds at the sudden statement, before he actually processes what Hoya just said.

"W-What?" Woohyun asks instead–just to make sure.

Hoya huffs and diverts his eyes once again, watching as he stirs the rice in his bowl like it's the most interesting thing in the world. He can practically feel the look Woohyun must be giving him, boring holes into his head. "I said I trust you," he repeats.

Woohyun waits for him to say anything further, but he doesn't. Hoya falls back into silence and continues eating his food. Woohyun knows how Hoya isn't one to be expressive, but even though, Woohyun can't help the growing smile on his face just to hear those words. He doesn't exactly know how to answer, but he decides that maybe he doesn't need to with a grin still plastered on his face. When he sees that Hoya's finished his food, he speaks up again.

"Do you want to go somewhere?"

Hoya looks at him interestedly, but doesn't answer.

"Come on, it'll be nice," Woohyun presses. "You trust me, right?"

♦ ~

An hour later after they had gotten ready (and an extra ten minutes with Hoya staring wide-eyed at the amount of purple clothing he apparently owned), Hoya looked around the place Woohyun had brought them to. He stepped onto the sidewalk, sticking his hands into the pockets of his jacket. He looked inside the large, clear windows of the building and saw a couple of people inside, sitting at small tables and chatting.

He followed Woohyun inside and was instantly relaxed at the smell of roasted coffees, the aroma of hazelnut, chocolate, vanilla, and caramel hitting his nose. He's told to grab a table while Woohyun orders, and Hoya does so as he eyes the dark brown walls. He notices that they're the same color as the sheets of the bed at home, and somehow he feels a bit more relaxed.

"Howon," Woohyun calls and the other lifts his head abruptly. "What would you like?"

Hoya squints and scans the overhead menu, reading the many assortments of drinks from iced coffees to cappuccinos and lattes and teas. He's pretty much decided on just a regular espresso before Woohyun speaks again.

"Wait, nevermind," he quickly says and Hoya stares at the front with a raised eyebrow and half-opened mouth.

Woohyun only smiles and turns back to the cashier. "And one iced blended caramel latte, extra syrup."

A few minutes later, Woohyun makes his way to the table with their drinks in each hand, placing the caramel latte in front of Hoya as he takes the seat across from him. Woohyun quietly takes a sip of his americano and watches Hoya have a small taste of his own.

Hoya's pleasantly surprised at the taste that fills his mouth, the combination of sweet, sugared syrup with the bitter coffee mixing together, and he thinks that there can't be a more perfect combination. As the iced drink goes down his throat, he can't help the satisfied breath he releases after taking a large gulp.

He hears Woohyun laugh and looks up, seeing the way the other's eyes turn into tiny slits and the way his mouth opens widely showing his teeth. He also takes not that it's the first time he's heard his laugh, or rather, that he now knows of, and finds that he fairly likes the sound of it. He doesn't know why, but just the pure sound of his laughter can easily calm him and cause a smile to appear on his face. He starts thinking again, did it have that kind of effect on him before?

The thought is soon pushed aside when Woohyun speaks again.

"You used to work in a little cafe like this one," Woohyun says. "After quitting business at the office. I remember you told me that you just wanted to have an easy-going job after all the tiring business work. Though I didn't exactly understand before how it would be relaxing to work in a coffee shop, I guess I see now," he says and looks around at the peaceful atmosphere of the shop, the subtle chatter and scent of freshly brewed coffee. 

"What's your job?" Hoya asks curiously.

"Business, the very same one you quit. Paperwork, stocks, files; I would want to quit myself, but I wouldn't really want to go through the trouble of finding a new job. There's not many job offers these days. Plus, it pay's pretty decent anyway, so I guess I'm stuck with it."

Hoya puffs out the side of his cheek, playing with the straw in his cup as he nods understandingly. "Don't you have to work today?" he wonders, but Woohyun shakes his head.

"They let me off for a week while you were at the hospital, but I begged for another week so I could help you at home."

Hoya's taken aback a bit at Woohyun's concern, and his statement suddenly lets him notice the dark, seemingly tired circles under Woohyun's eyes, but he assures himself that friends just do these kinds of things for each other, right?

"You know, you actually spilled coffee on a customer once," Woohyun says and Hoya's glad he's talking again so he can get out of his thoughts as he turns curiously towards the other.

"Yup, piping hot coffee all over the guy's shirt." It burned and hurt like hell, but you were lucky I thought you were cute, Woohyun chuckles a little at that thought and sees Hoya crack a smile.

For a while Woohyun and Hoya chat endlessly, like they would never have something not to talk about, and when Hoya's voice would stop when he finished what he would say, Woohyun would immediately fill the empty pause after with his own. Woohyun's found Hoya talking a bit more, and he thinks that he's finally opened up a bit. He thinks that maybe all they needed was a calm, new start, where everything from the past was forgotten and all that mattered was now. 

Woohyun's found Hoya smiling more and more as they talk, and he can't help but think that he's the reason for the smile on the other's face (and vice versa). He's happy to finally see once again the way Hoya's two sharp canine teeth show when he laughs, they way his nose scrunches up when something was particularly hilarious, and they small curve of one side of Hoya's lips when he listens to Woohyun talk.

Hoya notices the way the sides of Woohyun's eyes crinkle into an eye smile, they way he purses his lips to the side when he's thinking, and although Woohyun had said he doesn't show it (Really, Howon, one of my bottom teeth are crooked so I actually practiced for years to smile so that my bottom teeth never show.), Hoya smiled as he caught a glimpse of Woohyun's crooked bottom teeth as he laughed.

He's found that, even in such a short time, Woohyun's really grown on him for someone who was a stranger to him just yesterday. He feels that even though he's actually becoming close to him once again in reality, it feels to him they're becoming close for the first time. Although Hoya's not exactly sure what to make of Woohyun just yet, he believes he can really trust in him (and he has to admit, Woohyun's a really nice guy).

As they continue to chat, Woohyun doesn't particularly talk much about Hoya's past unless he asks, which was barely a few times.

But Hoya necessarily doesn't want to know, doesn't want to live by some guideline of his life before. His constant thoughts of what used to be versus reality only gives him more questions and headaches, and all he wants to do is push it aside for the time being. So for now, he's decided he'll live in the moment, because he feels like he's starting a new beginning.

 

That night, there's only a small gap between the two on the bed.