Chapter 1

Still I Miss You

“Howon! Watch out!”

Woohyun woke in cold sweat, eyes b with tears as he trembled slightly in his seat. Even in his dreams, it’s as if the world doesn’t want him to feel content. For 3 days he’s slept here, in the hard cushion of the seat, waking every day from the same nightmare, and yet in reality it still feels like he’s in a dream. 

Please just be a dream, Woohyun always thinks every time he awakes, but the sight of the one he loves most lying on the hospital bed tells him otherwise. 

Scooting his chair closer to the bed, Woohyun wipes the little tears off his cheeks and gazes at Hoya on the bed. A fresh, clean bandage is wrapped around his forehead, but Woohyun remembers just minutes after everything happened when previous bandages were soaked with red, and his hands and clothes covered in that same red. Woohyun had always thought of it as his favorite color, but now it’s as if he can no longer stand the sight of it. 

This is all your fault, something in the back of his mind tells him, and Woohyun can only grit his teeth and tell his conscience that he knows, he knows this is his fault. Maybe if he didn’t work overtime until 2 in the morning, maybe if he didn’t fall asleep at his desk, maybe if he didn’t let Hoya worry and drive the dark streets to pick him up, then that other driver wouldn’t have hit him. 

Then he wouldn’t be here like this. 

“Howon… Howonnie, I’m sorry…” his dry throat manages to get out as he wraps his hands with Hoya’s. “It’s all my fault. I’m sorry…”

At least he’s alive.” Woohyun hears a familiar voice behind him, and he turns to see his friend Myungsoo leaning against the doorframe.

“Oh, Myungsoo,” Woohyun quickly wipes away his tears and greets his friend with a forced smile. 

Myungsoo only shakes his head. “You don’t have to act like you’re okay in front of me, you know.”

Woohyun’s smile slowly dissipates and he turns to stare at at the sheets of Hoya’s bed. “I know.”

Myungsoo sighs and walks over to the opposite side of the bed, moving a chair closer to them and takes a seat. The air is filled with a quiet silence except for the slow beeping of the machine. 

“He doesn’t remember me.” Woohyun says quietly, the front of Hoya’s hand with his thumb. “He doesn’t remember… anything.”

“So I’ve heard.” Myungsoo replied and stared blankly at the ground. “I asked the doctor on the way here.”

Woohyun nodded silently.

“Just be grateful he’s alive, hyung.”

The other bit his lip and nodded again.

“Things aren’t going to be the same anymore, but maybe you can change that.”

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

Myungsoo only smiled. “Hey, I’m heading down to the hospital cafeteria. Want anything?”

“No, but—”

“I’ll be back, hyung.” Myungsoo made his way towards the door with Woohyun watching his retreating back.

He sighed and turned back to Hoya, watching as his eyes fluttered slightly in his sleep, and the slow rise and fall of his chest. He rested his arms against the side of the bed and laid his head against them. Soon, Woohyun had fallen back into sleep.

 

When Woohyun awoke, he heard the soft sound of laughter, a familiar laugh that always warmed his heart. He immediately opened his eyes and was greeted with the sight of Hoya’s smile, a cheerful smile that he missed seeing for days. He saw Hoya’s attention on the comedy program airing on the television screen in the room.

“Howon,” Woohyun called. The other didn’t answer.

“Howon,” he tried again, and this time Hoya looked at Woohyun directly. “Um, how are you feeling?”

“Fine…” Hoya replied quietly. “Uh, someone came here earlier while you were asleep. Said his name was… Myungsoo? He dropped that off here for you.” He pointed to the bedside table and Woohyun looked to see a small carton of milk and a muffin. He noticed a sticky note stuck next to it and peeled it off the table, holding it in his hand.

Make him remember. -Myung

Woohyun sat in silence, trying to figure out what Myungsoo could possibly mean with this note, until a voice broke him from his thoughts.

“You know, you never really told me yet.”

Woohyun lifted his head. “What?”

“Who are you?”

Woohyun paused for a moment and thought. Would telling him that they were in a relationship make things awkward? 

We have to start somewhere else.

“I’m Woohyun. Nam Woohyun. I’m…” he took in a deep breath, “…just a really close friend of yours.”

Hoya paused for a moment, letting the idea that this stranger was so possibly his friend, and nodded his head. “Alright, I believe you.”

Woohyun watched as Hoya turned back to the television screen, and after a few minutes Hoya’s bright laughter filled the air again.

Woohyun smiled warmly. We’ll start from the beginning. He gazed at the grin still plastered on Hoya’s face. 

I’ll make you fall in love with me all over again.