The New Kid

Flower Lover

While Baekhyun, Mr. Jang and Sehun was conversing on how Baekhyun’s school day would be like, Jaekyu was in the music room, practicing her voice for the upcoming concert her grade level was performing in a few months. She would be the main lead--already decided of course. No one could top her vocal abilities, and everyone knew it. However, she was still pretty sad about Baekhyun. She really wanted to know more about the boy that came from a flower. The boy that had helped her. The boy with the most captivating golden brown eyes that made her giggle just thinking about them. How come she hadn’t had these feelings about Baekhyun before?
 

“What are you giggling about?” Haesoon said, just as she walked into the music room, to find her staring off into space, giggling about who knows what.
 

Jaekyu snapped out of her thoughts.
 

“Nothing,” she quickly said, before she added, “Just thinking about what would happen at the Infinite concert. Myungsoo would be there, waiting to take a picture of me and Hoya together.”
 

Of course it was a lie. She was thinking about Baekhyun. His golden brown eyes, his somehow curled dusty brown hair. He was cute for a guy her age. But Haesoon believed her as soon as she heard Infinite. “Of course you would be thinking about that. You’re so lucky to be winning the grand prize! I could only dream of that!” Haesoon exclaimed.
 

Jaekyu grinned, before she accidently banged her foot on the piano leg.
 

“Ow!” she yelled, before she reached for her shin.
 

It was begining to hurt again. Why was she so clumsy again? It hurt to be her--literally. She was glad that she got over her tantrum, and let her mom tend to her wound yesterday.
 

“Tch, you’ve really got to be careful! Don’t you remember that time you slipped on the steps in primary school? Talk about painful!” Haesoon scolded.
 

Jaekyu gave her a sheepish smile.
 

“I can’t help it, okay?”


 

Jaekyu entered school the next day, still wondering about Baekhyun. Where could he be? Was he safe? She knew that her mom had reassured her about him already, but it wasn’t helping. She wanted to see him again... but how? She walked into her first class, which was vocal class. Since her school was for performing arts, it worked a different way. Instead of the regular same classroom system all of the other Korean schools posessed, Jaekyu’s school worked like American schools. She would have to walk from class to class. Her vocal class was part of the higher ranks in her grade: Class A.
 

“Hey Jaekyu-yah, did you decide who you’re going to bring to the Infinite concert?” a girl, named Yejin after her mother, asked her.
 

She had a sickly sweet smile on her face that just made Jaekyu want to cringe. Jaekyu shook her head.
 

“I haven’t yet... but i’ll be deciding as soon as I get home,” she replied, before she turned to the front.
 

“Alright... I’ll be here tomorrow if you consider me as one of your choices. I feel like we’re great friends,” she grinned, before she sat down at her own seat.
 

Jaekyu mentally rolled her eyes. Jaekyu had never liked Yejin in the first place. She would’ve stolen Haesoon from her, if Haesoon wasn’t as smart as she was, and declined her offer. Yejin’s act went right through her. She couldn’t stand her. She couldn’t understand how Yejin got into her vocal class. She at singing, which landed her a spot in the back.
 

“Class, settle down,” Mr. Jang, her vocal teacher, commanded.
 

The room turned quiet. Jaekyu noticed a tuff of light brown hair from behind the poditum that looked familiar.
 

“Today we have a new student that’s attending our school. I hope that you will treat him well.”
 

Then, Baekhyun came out from his place with a bright smile on his face.
 

“Hi! I’m Byun Baekhyun! I hope you will be able to treat me well!” he exclaimed cheekily.
 

Jaekyu’s eyes widened.
 

“B-baekhyun?” she asked, which caused everyone’s attention to turn to her.
 

How does she know him already, Yejin asked herself, as she looked at Jaekyu in hatred. First the Infinite concert, now the new eye candy... I just can’t catch a break.
 

Baekhyun’s attention snapped to her, and he beamed even wider.
 

“Jaekyu! Hi!” he greeted, as he waved to her.
 

Mr. Jang chuckled.
 

“So, Jaekyu and Baekhyun already know each other... How funny,” he mused.
 

“Why is he in our class, Mr. Jang? Shouldn’t the new kid start in the lower classes, and advance in here like we all did?” Jongdae questioned.
 

“Baekhyun, actually, has a lot of talent and I personally recommended him into this class. Baekhyun, please seat next to Jaekyu.”
 

Baekhyun nodded his head, before he skipped over to Jaekyu with a wide grin. He was really glad to be seeing her again. He sat down onto his chair and looked up at Mr. Jang, for Mr. Jang was about to start the class. Jaekyu smiled as she looked over at Baekhyun, who was intently watching the teacher. She wondered how he got enrolled into her school in all places. Actually, she was wondering about where Baekhyun was staying. Baekhyun didn’t enroll into this school just for her, did he? Jaekyu smiled dreamily at the thought.
 

“Jaekyu?” Mr. Jang called.
 

Jaekyu snapped out of her thoughts and looked up. Mr. Jang was looking at her with a confused expression.
 

“Yes?” Jaekyu replied.
 

The class started to snicker at her thoughtless reply. Baekhyun tilted his head and looked at Jaekyu. What was she doing instead of listening to Mr. Jang? Mr. Jang laughed light heartedly along with the class, beefore he repeated, “Jaekyu, are you ready for the school concert in a few months?”
 

Jaekyu pinked up a bit, before she nodded her head, and replied, “Yes sir, I’m ready. I just need a partner.”
 

“I’ll do it!” Jongdae volunteered.
 

Baekhyun bit his lip and looked at Jongdae. It’s not that Baekhyun didn’t trust Jongdae, because honestly he didn’t even know the guy yet to judge, but he didn’t want Jaekyu to do anything with anyone except for him. He was her protector. He couldn’t trust anyone but himself and Jaekyu’s family members.
 

“No, I can do it Mr. Jang,” Baekhyun announced suddenly, as he looked at Mr. Jang.
 

Mr. Jang was speechless. Jongdae and Baekhyun? It was usually only Jongdae who would volunteer. Jongdae frowned.

“Actually, I’ll be doing it because I have much more experience than Baekhyun-sshi,” Jongdae defended, as he got up from his seat.
 

“But I know Jaekyu more than you do!” Baekhyun fought back, as he also got up and looked at Jongdae with an unamused expression.
 

It was pretty much a lie, but she did turn Baekhyun into a human. It had to count somehow, right?
 

“Can you even sing?” Jongdae snorted.
 

Baekhyun opened his mouth to retort when Mr. Jang came out of his silence.
 

“Boys, calm down. We’ll hold an audition for the part, and then it will be decided. Both of you, please sit down,” Mr. Jang told them both.
 

Baekhyun gave Jongdae one last glare, before he sat down and crossed his arms. He pouted, too. Jaekyu blinked, and peered at Baekhyun. All she knew was that Baekhyun had this anger with Jongdae, and she hadn’t had the slightest idea why.


 

As the day passed, Jaekyu noticed that she already had two classes with Baekhyun: singing class, and history class. She was pretty glad that Baekhyun was in both of those classes, because they were her favorite classes to be in. Besides, she sat next to him in both of them, too. She held onto her books, and giggled at the thought of Baekhyun in school. Even though he had came from a flower, he was pretty smart. In history, he read three paragraghs aloud, without any fail. He also didn’t distract her when he shouldn’t. Jaekyu kept the goofy grin on her face as she walked to her locker to put her books away. Her mind was going crazy over Baekhyun, and she wasn’t minding it. However, there was still one problem. It was a big one, too.
 

Her mom.
 

Her mom would never approve of this. If her mom knew that Baekhyun was enrolled in her school, she would throw a fit and probably pull Jaekyu out of the school--and that was probably the last thing Jaekyu wanted. She would have to be careful with Baekhyun. She’d have to tell Baekhyun the same thing, aswell. Jaekyu opened her locker, and put her textbooks in. She grabbed her music book, and her grammar book out to put into her backpack to take home. She was about to close her locker, when Haesoon came up to her.
 

“So...” she mused, with a mischievous grin on her face.
 

Jaekyu raised an eyebrow, before she closed her locker.
 

“So what?”
 

“How do you know Baekhyun?” Haesoon immediantly asked, as she leaned onto the lockers.
 

Jaekyu opened to tell her that Baekhyun had came from a daisy, but she paused. She couldn’t tell Haesoon that Baekhyun had came from a flower. It would be too weird for Haesoon to handle.
 

“I met him when I was walking in the woods. He just moved into my area,” Jaekyu said with a nod.
 

Haesoon looked at Jaekyu in disbelief.
 

“What? That’s it?”
 

Jaekyu confirmed it with a nod.
 

“Yep, that’s it.”
 

Haesoon goaned in dissapointment, and banged her head back on the lockers.
 

“Darn it! I was hoping that I would finally have something juicy from you, but I guess not,” she pouted.
 

Jaekyu laughed and shook her head.
 

“Nope, sorry to dissapoint again, but at least I’m taking you to the Infinite concert~”
 

Haesoon’s eyes lit up again.
 

“Yes! I just remembered that! We have to look our very best, okay? I don’t want to look terrifying in front of Sungyeol oppa,” Haesoon informed.
 

Jaekyu snorted.
 

“Wow Haesoon, your priorities are so straight.”
 

Haeson rolled her eyes playfully, before she remembered.
 

“Hey, who are you bringing as your third person?”
 

Jaekyu froze in thought. Who was she going to bring as the third person?
 

“You know, you could bring Baekhyun,” Haesoon suggested, as she wriggled her eyebrows suggestively.
 

Jaekyu gave her a look, which made Haesoon burst into laughter.
 

“What? It’s a good idea! I know you just met him, but who else would you bring?” Haesoon asked.
 

“Where are you bringing someone?”
 

Jaekyu and Haesoon snapped their head to the side, to find Baekhyun grinning at the both of them.
 

“To the Infinite concert. I won tickets,” Jaekyu explained to him
 

Baekhyun bit his lip and looked up as he racked through his brain to find out if he knew the slightest bit of what Infinite was. Oh, and a concert as well.
 

Haesoon fanned herself, before she said, “It’s getting hot in here. I’ll leave the two of you alone.”
 

Jaekyu rolled her eyes, as Baekhyun looked at her in confusion.
 

“What are you talking about Haesoon? It’s only about 22 C in the building,” Baekhyun informed.
 

Baekhyun and Haesoon knew each other because Baekhyun was in Haesoon’s math class.
 

“Eh, it’s still hot and I need a drink of water. I’ll see you two tomorrow!” she exclaimed, before she flounced away.
 

Jaekyu watched Haesoon with dull eyes. Dang, she wasn’t supposed to leave her alone with Baekhyun! Although... she didn’t mind much. Jaekyu turned to Baekhyun and smiled.
 

“So how are you adjusting here?” she asked him earnestly.
 

Baekhyun laughed at her emotional change, and replied, “It’s been going good. I need to learn the song for the audition though. I don’t want you to do it alone,” Baekhyun replied.
 

“But I probably would’ve done it with Jongdae, you know that right?”
 

“Yes, but I rather you do it with me,” Baekhyun explained as he looked at Jaekyu with serious eyes.
 

Jaekyu didn’t process anything Baekhyun said afterwards for a few minutes, because she fell into Baekhyun’s brown orbs, and her heart sped up three times faster without her consent.

 

 


 

*  it’s like the ‘block’ schedule system used in some american schools.
Example; everyday, Jaekyu has singing and dancing class.
On mondays, wednesdays and fridays, Jaekyu has the topics math, science and history [let’s call these days, ‘A days’].
On tuesdays and thursdays, she has grammar, English and gym class [lets call those days, ‘B days’].
So: 
A day schedule: singing class, dancing class, math class, science class, and history class.

B day schedule: singing class, dancing class, grammar class, English class, and gym class.