Spectator

My Second Life

I can not believe LuHan is here with Clay. "The project is due on Wednesday," LuHan starts, "so we need to work quickly." God damnit, you ing mind readers. I was just about to ask why they were here together. Not really ask, though, because I would never have the guts to talk to LuHan. He is a special student. I guess Clay is just here to help him with the project. "And we only have a small portion of time to work on it, I need to practice the dance afterwards."

Wait, "I need to practice the dance." Don't tell me - He's entering the same dance contest as I am - against me. There is no way I stand a chance against a dancer of an insanely popular kpop group. My mouth opens, but words fail to come out.

 

LuHan, as he is setting up project materials, looks over to me blankly. Not angry, not excited to see me. Not happy, not scowling at me in hatred. He looks away without saying anything. I wish there was just a curtain between the two sides of the room so they don't see me practicing-and not because I'm embarrassed. As a matter of fact, I feel like I'm doing well so far. The problem is I'm dancing to an EXO song. And it's EXO-M's version. And to make matters worse, I'm dancing to LuHan's part.

 

What am I supposed to do now? I can't practice this, I'll embarass the hell out of myself. What if I mess up? Obviously he didn't learn this dance in a day, but if I screw up he's probably going to laugh at me. Well, I can't just sit here. I'll look even more stupid. Just sitting here, which will lead me to staring at the smartest (and hottest, may I add) senior in this school. I can't do that being only a freshman. I guess I'll have to try and dance, right?

 

I hesitantly restart the music video on my laptop. I put my hands in the pockets of my black sweatpant's, whose bottoms are rolled up to my knees, and shake rapidly. I can almost feel his head turning towards me. As I spin quickly for the next step, my converse squeaks on the gym's wooden floor. I keep dancing up until the part I know, at the end of the first chorus, and when I turn around to learn the next step, LuHan is right next to me, leaning against the wall. "Nice dance you got there," he starts, his face still containing no expression. He changed out of his school uniform and into sneakers, a wife-beater, and shorts. "What's the song called?"

 

My mouth opens again, with no words. LuHan bends down as I look over his shoulder, and, to my surprise, Clay isn't there. "I asked him to leave." He says, as if he really could read my mind. Maybe my thoughts are too shown on my face? "I'm going over his house tomorrow anyway. We're working on it then. I came over to give you some pointers." He places his hand on my shoulder. "Do that 3rd step now." I place my hands and feet in the 3rd position you need to be in. "Try tilting your body a little more to the left. It's too straight." He places his hand around my fingers and pulls towards my left. I give no resistance, because, well, I like it. His hands are soft, like lotion, and yet, they're masculine, too. I don't know how to explain it.

 

He gives me a few more tips and then he shows me the rest of the dance until it's time for him to go. We got up to about half of the dance routine and he said I did it perfectly. I think today has been the most talkative day I've ever had with someone other than Sophia.

 

When Monday comes, I ask Ms. Cho to stay after school again. I know LuHan won't be there, since he only comes on Fridays after school, but I still have to practice the dance. I can't let myself get distracted as easily as I usually do. Especially because this is something to actually get distracted over. Well, LuHan won't be here today, so I can practice without distraction. Ms. Cho says it's okay since tennis is over for the school year, and now there are no after school activites in the gym. I walk in, LuHan already at a spot on his laptop.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. He finally looks up at me and answers, "Looking for a new song to practice for the Seoul Amateur Dancing Competition."

"I'm entering that too. But, wait, a new dance?" Why would he look for a new dance? Any dance he does would look nice when he's doing it. No, shut up. You're going to say this stuff out loud if you keep it up.

"They changed the rules. It now has to be a duet or trio." LuHan says. "No solo performances. So I'm looking for a two-person song to perform. But there's one problem, I don't know who with." In my mind, I'm screaming Me! Duh! I'm right in front of you! but I don't want to at the same time. That means I'll have to practice with him and he'll see me mess up and what if I mess up during the actual competition? I don't want him to lose because of me.

 

"Can I be your partner?" I ask. I somewhat regret it the second after.