My Passion

My Second Life

Dancing.

It's what I do.

It's what I've been doing since my 3rd year of elementary school.

But one thing:

Only one person knows I do it, my best friend.

I don't want people to know because dancing is kind of like my 'secret life'. I don't want anyone else to know about it, I don't know why. I am not the most.. popular kid in school, nor am I loud or outgoing. I never speak, sometimes I even forget the sound of my own voice. I only talk to my best friend and no one else.

 

After school, I go up to my gym teacher to ask her something. She is sitting at her desk, her brown hair tied in a ponytail. "Excuse me, Miss Cho?" I ask softly.

"Yes?" she answers, her eyes not lifting from her book for a second. I want to see what she's reading but the cover is on the desktop. It looks as big as a dictionary for every language all in one, though.

"Is the gym being used after school today?"

Ms. Cho looks at me like she's confused. "It's free until midnight today, because one of our special students is working on a project, but he is unable to work on it at home. Why do you ask?"

I swallow hard as I say, "I need to," I need to think of something to say, that's what I need to do. "practice something. It's for a contest I'm entering."

I know she doesn't believe me, but she says, "Sure. He's been staying here every Friday for a couple months now, so he should be staying for a while longer. Maybe even for the rest of the year." Oh great. Company. Just what I want. I'll just practice on the complete opposite side side of the gym, that's all. "So as long as someone else is here, you can stay."

 

"Where is he?" Ms. Cho stands next to her desk waiting for him. Who is he, anyway? Whoever it is, there's a 110% chance I won't want him to see me practice. I want to enter a dance contest in a few months, but I need to perfect this routine. It's an amateur-only contest, but a lot of unknown dancers seem like they are professionals already who have been training for years. Not to mention that I do not like people. I am the opposite of a "people person". The only two people in my school I like are my best friend, Sophia, and, well, LuHan. He recently debuted for a new kpop group, EXO, but he somehow finds time for school.

"It's already 4 o'clock. He's probably just coming late. He told me he would be coming today and he's not here yet, so we'll just have to leave and you wait for him, okay?"

Great. is what I intend to say. Great, just great. Leave me alone and leave me to wait for someone I most likely despise to watch me practice a dance routine I barely even know. Let him or her make fun of me because of my inability to perform a dance routine. But all I actually say is "Sure."

 

It's been a half hour since Ms. Cho left. I have the first minute or so of the dance complete, so the hard part is all finished. As I watch the next steps of the dance tutorial, I hear a heavy door shut behind me and I jump in surprise. I wait for the person's face to show. When I see his face, I think of every horrible thing in the world. No, get me the out of here. Why are you even here? What's so special about you? It is Clay, the most hated person (by me, at least) I know of. Either he doesn't notice me or he doesn't care, because he doesn't look over in my direction. He just plays Angry Birds or some childish game on his cell phone. Wait, so he is a special student? Since when was this?

 

He finally looks my way, and raises his upper lip in disgust. He looks towards the door he entered from. "Come on! There's no way tying your shoe could possibly take this long." Who the hell is he talking to? Oh yeah, the friends he doesn't have.

All of a sudden I hear a familiar voice and the same door opening and closing. The voice says, "It takes time when you need to take good care of them." The second after his sentence ends, his angelic face comes into my view. My mouth drops to the floor and my heart to the bottom of my stomach.

 

His shoes look like ten million won, and so does the rest of his outfit. The school uniform looks far fancier on him than on anyone else, though I don't see why he would be wearing that two hours after school ended. His cuffs are folded properly and so is his collar. I don't believe it's him until I read his nametag for myself:

"루한"