II.

To Lose a Thing

Being old was the worst thing to be.  Anything was far better – a beggar, an orphan, a murderer – as long as he could remain young.

Alas, youth was not exactly the most lasting element.  Minseok knew that more so than anyone else.  After all, he was the oldest in EXO and it was beginning to show, no matter what Kris blustered about the two oldest not looking their age at all.

Tracing the faint worry lines, the oldest member examined his own reflection in the mirror critically.  Age was catching up to him.

Outside, somewhere in the living room probably, he could hear the excited pandemonium Luhan was creating with Sehun, Chanyeol and Baekhyun.  If people didn’t know any better, they would have mistaken the bright-eyed Chinese for one of the younger EXO members from the way he acted.

Next, Minseok moved on to a close inspection of his spiky hair.  Well, as best as he could, at any rate.

Finding a strand of white hair one day was a nightmare he constantly had.  Unfortunately though, Minseok knew it would not only remain a nightmare – it would come true, and when that day came… he didn’t dwell on that reality.

In today’s entertainment industry, 25 was a grand old age to be already.  Why, idols nowadays could be as young as 11!  Not yet hit puberty and still a child.  The very thought made him grimace, an air of superiority – or was it seniority? – about him.

Still, Minseok could not deny the fact that one day he would end up like some of his seniors, quitting their trade and settling down to a deathly dull life if they did not skip into acting fast enough.  Forgotten except as a relic of the past.

If only… if only he could freeze time in this moment.  Stay 25 forever.  Naturally, he might tire of youth eventually, but until then, he had no intentions of ageing into some dowdy old cow.

Sighing heavily, Minseok unlocked the bathroom door and stepped out, jumping aside just in time to avoid Sehun crashing straight into him. 

The boy wasn’t even fazed, turning around immediately and running off with a “Sorry!”  He, however, caught himself grumbling like his grandfather always used to.

Indeed, he was growing old and sadly, Tao could not control time, otherwise-  Breaking off his train of thoughts, Minseok dragged himself off for practice.

What he’d give for youth.