Chapter thirty two

You and I

Min Sul was finally stabilized enough to be moved to a room but he was still unconscious and needed extra care. Sulli did not want to leave her son’s side even though Jonghun’s sister, Min Sul’s godmother and guardian, offered to stay. Since birth, Min Sul was brought up in her aunt’s family rather than by herself. That was the condition set by her late mother after Sulli fought adamantly to keep Minho’s baby. Her mother wanted her to abort the baby since she was still in her last year of school and stop seeing Minho for good. But she couldn’t do it; she couldn’t get rid something as beautiful as a baby that was born out of their love. So, when she fainted at dance practice and woke up at the hospital, she decided to lie about losing the baby. She needed somebody to help her out with her plan and her cousin was the best person to do so.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“Oppa, jebal oppa. I need your help with this”, she pleaded with Jonghun with tears flowing nonstop from her already swollen eyes.

“Ssul, you know I would help you but are you sure this is what you wanted? Minho wanted to stay and I personally think he’s a brave man to do so. Other boys would runaway from their responsibilities but he’s not that kind of person, Ssul”, her cousin tried to reason it out with her.

“If he stays, oppa, he won’t be able to fulfill his dreams and I’m afraid he’ll turn to be like my late appa. Always regretting not being able to do what he dreamt of doing, he destroyed the people around him and in the end, he destroyed himself” said looking at him.

 “Omma and appa went through the same thing and they got married at a young age. He was doing quite well his studies but had to quit and find a job to feed omma and me. Though he loved omma and me but the regret ate him slowly and when he saw how successful his college friends were in life, he began drinking heavily. He was a changed man after that. Right to the day he died of liver cancer” she explained.

Her cousin looked at her long and hard.

“So what’s your exact plan, princess? This is a life changing decision that you’re making for you and him. You’re planning to cheat him out of having a child and also breaking his heart forever. Are you sure you want to do this, Ssul?”,  Jonghun asking her to reconsider.

“How about your heart? How about your life? How about the baby’s life?”.

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply a few times and by the time she opened her eyes, she had stopped crying and her eyes were full of determination, even if her voice was not.

“Oppa, I want you to tell Minho oppa that I have lost the baby and now he is free from any responsibilities. Tell him that I do not want to see him anymore and now the baby is gone, I will have no more interruption in my life”.

“Whatever you do, oppa, don’t let him into this room or give him any access to my medical file. I don’t want him to know”, Sulli said.

With that, her cousin held on to his promise. She could hear Minho’s voice pleading to see her outside of her door and it tore her heart. She buried her face into the pillow, broke down and cried her heart out. It was the toughest choice she had to make and she was uncertain how she will do it alone without him but she was determined to keep the baby no matter what.

When she went out of the hospital, she fought hard with her mother to keep the baby. Then her mother agreed to let her keep the baby but with the condition that the baby will be raised by her married cousin. Her mother wanted her to be able to pursue her own dreams because she was still young. Jonghun’s sister had been married for five years but she was childless, so Sulli thought it was in the best interest of the baby to be brought up with a mother and a father.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

As Min Sul grew, Sulli was always there besides him and he knew her as his mother. When her mother died, she was grateful that Min Sul was in her cousin’s care because she knew she wouldn’t be able to take care of him alone.

She thought about Jonghun’s proposal and confession. He was the best and she knew he could take care of her and Min Sul well but her heart has always been to the one and only man she ever loved. He deserved somebody who loves him back not someone who pined for somebody else.

Sulli took Min Sul’s hand and placed it on her cheek. She prayed hard for the little boy to wake up and look at her with his big brown eyes.

“Agi kaeguri, wake up, please. Omma is here” she whispered to the little boy, calling him by his pet name; baby froggy. He would always giggle when she called him that. How she missed his giggle.

Sulli sighed and laid her head on the bed to rest. She felt so tired suddenly.

Minho watched as a very tired looking Sulli rest her head on the bed through the glass door. She was looking at her son so tenderly and from her gestures, he knew that she loved the boy very much. His heart hurt so much thinking that the little boy could have been theirs.

He then shook his head. Why was he was there in the first place, he didn’t know. He never made personal inspection of his patients before. He was drawing the attention of the nurses on duty by standing outside of the room without going in. They must have thought it weird but as he made a move to walk away, a pretty nurse approached him with a medical chart.

“Sorry Dr. Choi”, she smiled pleasantly. “Are you here to talk with Choi Min Sul’s mother? I have prepared the charts for you. We were supposed to inform her about the blood transfusion but I guess you are here to inform her personally”, she continued. The nurse had a slight blush on her cheeks and was batting her eyelashes nonstop.

He was surprised by the assumption made by the nurse that he could only nodded and took the charts. When she walked away, he silently cursed himself for being stupid. Now, he had no choice but to go inside and meet her. When he turned and looked at the nurse’s counter, the four nurses stationed there smiled and bowed at him. He bowed at them in return and went to press the auto door’s button.

Sulli heard the auto door opened and turned to look at who came in expecting a nurse but instead it was him. She stood up and bowed slightly at him, uncertain what to do or say, so she kept quiet.

“Good evening, Mrs. Choi”, he said brusquely not looking at her.

“Your son is doing well but we have to wait for him to wake up in order to be sure. For now,  you need to tell your husband that he needs to go to the pathology department and donate his blood for a simple transfusion tomorrow morning”’ he continued.

She was tired and worried, so when she heard his tone she felt angry at him and out of nowhere, she heard herself answer,” It’s Miss Choi and Jonghun oppa’s blood type is A not B”. Then she realized what she had said and by the look on his face, she knew he realized it too. She saw him flipping the charts trying to look for something and stopped at a page. Then he was looking at his fingers, counting. His eyes became wider by the moment.

“Yah! Choi Sulli … Is there something you should be telling me?”, he demanded angrily, looking back and forth between her and her son.