Chapter eighteen

You and I

After they danced in the candle lit room, the both of them continued their so-called-pretense every time they have practice. They never talked about what happened afterwards nor sat down to analyze their decision. It was understood between them that both were following Madam BoA’s orders.

They didn’t have a real relationship but they were closer and freer with each other. It was a kind of mutual understanding. Of course, there were no love confessions or dates. There were even no phone calls but if one looked at them carefully, one would notice their subtle intimacy.

How Minho always straightened Sulli’s stray hairs. How Sulli’s leaned a bit more towards Minho when he was saying something to her. How he ushered her around with his hand behind her back. How her hand would sometimes be on his thigh when she was talking excitedly about something. How sometimes they smiled at each other when their eyes met. How they were sitting closer during break time. How they shared their drinks and helped each other out tidying up the room after practice. Little stuff that spoke volume.

Madam BoA was happy with their routine and commended them on their effort. She said if they were to keep up, they would be able to beat the other participants hands down and may gain the much needed funds for their clubs. Both of them were glad to hear their teacher’s words.

At the same time, as the dinner drew close, both of them were feeling uneasy. They were happy to be the-practice-room couple and enjoyed each other companies very much but time was running out on them. They never discussed about things that were not related to the dance or get passed further than the general stuff of what-you-like-and-don’t-like. Both were still under the impression that they were still pretending even though what they were baring to each other were their true feelings.

Minho learned to care for her more. He was more considerate and gentle in handling Sulli unlike his usual harsh and cold character outside. He found that he loved to hear her laugh, charmed by her shyness and innocence, captured by her beautiful eyes, captivated by her perfect lips and ensnared by her show of generosity and love. For him, Sulli was not his dongsaeng anymore. She was a young woman by her own right and he wanted her to be his.

Sulli learned more about the man Minho is. She now knew that the behind the cool guy act; there was a man with limitless ability to be gentle and to care for another. She experienced it firsthand. She realized that she could look at his handsome face without getting bored. She knew that his eyes were the windows to his soul. They were very expressive. How his eyes became narrowed, brows furrowed when he was focused in doing something or how his eyes smiled together when he smiled. And how sometimes his eyes would burn her with his intense charismatic look. She had fallen haplessly in love with him and wished they could be more than what they were then.

Unknowingly, the closer they were to the performance, the longer they dragged their practice hours. Their hearts became heavier as both realized that the time to say goodbye was close.