Chapter thirty

You and I

“Princess, I’m serious you know. Why don’t we get married? Then all your problems will be solved and we can live happily ever after”, Jonghun said to a quiet Sulli.

They were alone in the dining area sitting and drinking coffee together. His mother and sister went to take out little Choi for some ice cream. The ladies thought she and Jonghun needed some time to talk things over after he dropped the bomb before lunch.

“Oppa. You can’t be serious about this. You’re doing this just to help me. I am burdening you with my problems” she said.

Jonghun took her hands and squeezed them.

“Listen to what I’m going to say and tell me what you think” he said. He looked intently at her face and calmly said, “Dear princess. I want us to get married so that first and foremost you will be safe but that does not make me a hero. But it does make me someone who loves you as a man would love a woman. I have loved you more than as a family for the longest of time.  I think it’s already time for me to fess up my feelings towards you. I know that you are at least fond of me and I think it’s already a good foundation that we can build on” he explained.

Sulli looked at him surprised by his words.

“Ssul, I have loved you more than as a dongsaeng all this while. I thought you needed time to heal but I think it’s time for me to make my move. You know I will never break your heart and I will always be there for you. I love you, princess”.

He finished his little confession by kissing softly her knuckles.

Sulli did not know what to think and told him so.

“Oppa. I still could not believe that you have asked me to marry you for real and I am sorry to disappoint you by not giving an answer. This is too overwhelming for me”.

She looked at their hands and pulled hers away from his. She stood up and walked to the sink with her cup. Jonghun could only follow her with his gaze as he felt his heart sank. He turned and looked at his empty hands on the table, head bowed low. He cupped the warm coffee cup to warm his lonely hands.

Sulli left Jonghun at dining table and went out to walk in the little garden situated at the backyard of the house. There was a small white swing next to a charming koi pond, she went and sat down. 

As she watched the fish swam back and forth in the pond, she was searching herself. She knew Jonghun and her family would not understand her feelings. She sighed heavily as if the weight in her heart was bearing on her extra today.

The truth was that Sulli was never hurt by her love for Minho. She has always been in love with him all along. Until now, her heart has always been his. She has never regretted loving him and that was what kept her going on. The only thing that she regretted was lying to him. But she knew she did the right thing. Look at him now, he had achieved his life’s dream. She wanted him to be what he was supposed to be; a talented surgeon. She was so proud of him.

When they were together, he had always talked about his plans of finishing med school and specializing in surgery. He was very good in his studies and even was offered to continue his study under the national scholarship in the UK’s. She told him to follow his dream because she could wait for him. And then, one tender night, everything changed for them.

Eyes closed, Sulli took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She was lost in the past that she could barely register Jonghun’s voice calling her out frantically. When she opened her eyes, he looked out of sort. He was holding her handphone.

“Sulli, Min Sul is at the hospital. He was hit by a car” she heard him say. Then everything went dark.