Promises to Keep

Afraid to Love

"Tracy... Tracy... babe...," someone called.

 "Leave me alone," I mumbled into the pillow.

"Tracy, it's time to get up, babe.  You don't want your mom getting all suspicious do you?" the person persisted.  Finally, I opened my eyes to find the room shining from the morning sun that seemed to be a shade brighter than usual.  My eyes landed on the most beautiful set of jade green eyes that God has ever gifted man.  The smile on his face made me tremble with yearning, but my body ached from reminence of last night's events that had exhausted every fiber of my body.  Not that I'm complaining about my insatiable boyfriend's appetite, but I'm totally drained of energy.

"Good morning," I said hoarsely.  Darnelle simply grinned as if he won a prize for making me lose my voice after our seemlessly endless night.

"Good morning, Princess," he said kissing my lips.  I pushed him away before he started getting any ideas about starting where we left off last night.  He chuckled and rolled to the other side of the bed to retrieve something on his night stand table.

"I have something for you," he said.  In his hand was small ivory colored box with a mini ribbon meticously wrapped around it with a bow on top. 

Nervous of what could be inside, I looked at him with doe like eyes, asking him to disclose the contents of the box.  But he offered no hints.  He just smiled and waited for me to open his gift.  So with bated breath, I released the knot of the puny ribbon and open the box.  But of course, Darnelle would be the one to put another box within that one.  However, this one was a red velvet box.

Ok... this could either be earrings or a ring.  Please God let it be earrings! Earrings! Earrings!  I prayed. I continued with my mantra in my head as I opened the box, but my prayer was all in vain.  Inside, I found a one carat diamond solitare white gold ring placed on a little white pillow waiting for me.  It was probably the most beautiful ring that I ever set my eyes on. Around the band there were intricate and detailed designs of hearts connected by vines, but what made me start to tear was the little message on the inside of the band.

Tracy and Darnelle est. 2009 'til the end of time

"It's a promise ring," Darnelle said softly as he watched my expression change from curious to surprised.  "I promise you that my heart will always belong to you and I will wait for you to come back to me... no matter how long the wait may be... I promise to be here until you tell me otherwise," he paused and looked at me lovingly. "As long as you promise to come back to me, I will wait until the end of time for us to be together again."

Tears were streaming down my face as he finished his monologue.  "It's beautiful, Darnelle," I started slowly, "b-but... I can't accept it," I said while closing the box.

"Why not?" he asked with a look of disappointment.  The expression on his face made me feel like a dozen knives were stabbing me through my heart.  His once bright green eyes had turned dull with disappointment and it was all because of me. 

"It.... I.... I told you it was complicated before," I stuttered in an attempt to find an excuse.  "I don't know when I'll come back to the states and I can't live knowing that you'll be waiting for me forever when my mother probably has my entire future written out for me.  My conscience won't let me do something like that to the one I care about the most."  I could no longer look at him.  It seemed as if my decline all of the happiness that he had when I woke up.  I tried to get out of bed to escape the tension that was building around us, but he pulled me back down beside him.  He gently wiped away the remnants of tears that stained my face and kissed my lips ever so softly, as if to kiss away any doubts that I could have about us.

"I'm not going to get into another argument with you, Tracy.  But I want you to have this ring.  No matter what your reason is for going to Korea or what your agenda might be in the years to come... I want you to have this ring to remind you to come back to me, okay?."

I nodded like an obedient child.  I felt so special to have someone like him in my life, but why did it feel as if my heart was breaking into a million little pieces?  Hopefully, fate will forgive me for my lies, my excuses, and my inability to keep my promises.

********************

(Meanwhile in Seoul, South Korea)

"UMMAAA!!!" I screamed running throughout the house searching for my mother.

"Young Master, your mother is in the yard tending the garden so please stop your yelling," Mrs. Lee said a little annoyed with my loud voice.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Lee," I said hurriedly.  I ran towards the back entrance of the house to find my mother in her gardening clothes and sun hat.  Her face was serene as if she had no problems in the world... as if she didn't know that she had recently turned my world upside down.

"Umma..." I growled.

"Omo..." she grabbed her chest.  "You almost scared the living out of me Yunho! How many times do I have to tell you to stop sneaking up on me like that!" she scolded me.  I brushed off her attitude for that could not compare to the news that has leaked throughout the entire country about me.

"Umma," I huffed.  "How could you do this without telling me? You've ruined EVERYTHING! Aeri just broke up with me, my friends are upset because I never told them this... I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THIS WAS HAPPENING! How could you arrange this and then broadcast it to the world without my knowing?" I yelled in one breath.

"Yunho, calm down, son. What in the world are you talking about? How did I-"

"This Umma," I said throwing down the latest newspaper on the floor beside her. "This is what I'm talking about," I said choking on my words.  "How could you make this decision and not even ask me how I feel about it? You're just like Appa... no different at all," I said as I walked away.

**********

"Jung Yunho... Yunho!" Jung Leslei yelled.  But her son did not turn back.  She looked down at her hands to see the latest article printed on the first page of Seoul Times. 

 

Taken

July 14, 2011

(Associated Press,  Min JaeMi)

Sorry ladies! The Prince of Seoul is officially off of the market.  With rumors spreading around about Jung Yunho's possible engagement to a mystery woman, Seoul Times was finally able to get the real scoop on Korea's hottest bachelor. Yesterday, Seoul Times's news reporter,  Min JaeMi, conducted a one on one inteview with the First Lady of Jung Enterprises, Jung Leslei. According to the enterprise's co-founder, her son is not available for he has been betrothed since birth. When asked who the lucky woman might be, Mrs. Jung said excitedly,

"I could not have made a better choice. The last time I saw the child she was only in diapers, but she has blossemed into a beautiful young woman.  My son is to be wed to the Chief Korean Ambassador's daughter, Tracy Park". 

South Korean Ambassador, Park Yoon Sung, has been away from Korea for approximately 20 years as he continues to work internationally on behalf of Korea.  No one has ever seen or heard of this mystery woman.  However, Seoul Times received a tip from a reliable source (source reserves the right to remain anonymous) that she should be entering the country within the next few days. Seoul Times will be sure to keep you briefed on this couple when further information is given.

So fan girls and ajuhmmas, it's time to pick another "ulzzang" because Prince Jung Yunho is no longer single!

 

Leslei put the article down and sighed.  She couldn't be upset at her son for his outburst.  He had all the reason to be angry, for she had denied him the right to choose his own wife.   

I'm sorry, my son.... it had to be done.  It's the only we that way can protect you...

 

*Hey Everyone!!! It's been a long time! I'm sorry! I just lost inspiration for a second and my laptop died on me so I lost my story too! (Stupid laptop!) I hope you guys enjoyed my update!  Yunho finally made his appearance.. although it was very little, but you got to see how much of a hot head he can be!  But it was all with reason!  Please leave a message/ comment and thank you ALWAYS for your support!!!

-Tru