7. Ai wa Hamu Akuma

Melody of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He watched carefully as a woman passed the small alley, all smiling. Smirked, he slowly flew behind her. Wasted no time, he tapped the woman’s shoulder. She was an average looking woman but he knew very well that she would make a good snack for him. After all, his stomach still grumbled from the lack of food.  The only thing he saw from her was her heart and nothing else. 


“Miss, you look happy. Are you going on date?” He asked directly. 


“Oh, you figured it out?  I’m going with my boyfriend to look for a ring.” She replied with a giggle. 


Her cheeks blushed instantly as she told the handsome stranger in front of her. Dressing in black, the man in front of her was at least 1.8 feet tall. His blonde hair covered half of his face. He was well dressed. 


“Of course I knew it. Because the color of your love is red…” His voice trailed off. 


She was going to ask what he was talking about when he tipped her chin and his face got closer to her. He kissed her with a smirk. His horn twitched with anticipation. 

 

 

Demons survived by feeding human’s heart. For demon, love was the same as an apple. Everyone has a cyan color when they were born and it gradually changed color as they grow up. Demons, however, only ate the red color of love. The heart would be their once they kissed the owners. The side effect? The human would forget everything about their lover.


LeeTeuk watched as the previous woman’s fiancée cried in front of his friends. 


“She forgets everything about me! We promised to buy a ring!” 


LeeTeuk watched as he leisurely ate the red heart on his hand. Munched it slowly to take the taste of sweetness inside it. Watched a human’s lover went insane after he took the heart was amusing. The way they broke into tears or disbelieve with what happened to their lover. He grinned mischievously as he rubbed his horns. For the happiness he felt, they had somehow turned upright not downward like they usually did. 


When he no longer felt interested on the drama they gave him, he flew out of the place. There was a hill near a church. That hill faced the sea, the view was really amazing and it suited his mood for now. He didn’t feel guilty at all for what he had done. If not for what he did, it was impossible for him to eat. He could starve. So why he had to be sorry for them when he also had the needs although it made those humans cry? 


As he sat on the hill and watched the sea, he thought of when he should go after this. He was still hungry. To satisfy his needs, he would have to go hunting again. It was not hard, hunting. Almost everyone he saw on the streets had the red color heart.  But first, he had to finish his food.
 

He heard her coming before she talked. 


“You eat all of her love, right?” 


Stunned by the question, he took his time to answer. The girl was probably in her late teen. Her straight black hair fell around her like a curtain. She dressed in a white long dress. Covered from her head to toe, he immediately knew who she was. 


“Right,” He replied, “You know almost everything we – demons – do.” 


Amused by how she would react, he waited for what she said next. This girl had the reputation around the demons and it’s amusing how she chose to talk to a demon. 


“Because there was a talkative demon who blabbed everything to me.” 
 

He shrugged the information. Not like he cared. 
 

“Those two... were getting married soon,” She softly said.
 

“It has nothing to do with me,” He replied, swirling the heart on his hand. 
 

His eyes gazed on her figure. Imagining that she was wrapped around his fingers, he moved them. With his hand stretched out like now, it really looked like she was wrapped around his fingers. 
 

“I have heard that you’re really hard to fall to hell. Well, what if I become the one who takes you pure love…” 
 

“No need for that!” She cut him on the middle of his sentence, startling him. 
 

It was his first time to be rejected directly like that. The shock made him falling down from the cross he had been sitting on when he talked to her. Winced as his head bumped to the ground, he heard her talking.

“I already have someone I admire the most,” Her confident was well shown in her tone. 
 

From his upside down position, he watched her as she continued her sentence. Her long dress gave him no good view. But this way, he could clearly see how her figure was illuminated by the church behind her. 
 

“The one I love the most… is God,” 
 

Blinked in surprise to her confession, he tried to process everything inside her upside down head. Slowly, a smirk crept to his face as she turned around and left him alone. His instinct had awakened at this point, he knew he wanted her heart. Her heart’s sweetness must be his.  

 

 

 

“Hyung, are you after her?!”  Eunhyuk asked loudly. 
 

LeeTeuk smirked. He supported himself on one of the table in the room. Younger demons had gathered around him, amused by his declaration

earlier. None of the demons were bad looking or awfully dressed. They were indeed beautiful men and would get a lot of love if they were human. 
 

“I will be the one who eats her pure love,” LeeTeuk boasted. 
 

He just couldn’t avoid it. The satisfaction to be admired by the other demons burnt his ego. Even if he only wanted to play around and tasted her love, he didn’t mind to get some extra bonus like compliments and admiration from the other demons. 
 

“Yah, Hyung! What has gotten into you? That girl, she didn’t even waver when the handsome Siwon and the smart Zhoumi came to her,” 
 

“Well, I’m the one left!” LeeTeuk proudly said. 
 

Just then, he felt his friend’s presence. It was the sudden gloomy aura that tickled him. 
 

“You gotta be kidding me,” His deep and cold voice silenced the other. “You can do nothing. Someone who doesn’t know love like you, what can you do?” 
 

Surprised by the sudden attack, he let himself to float. It took less than a second for him to stand up in front of Heechul. If he was annoyed by his sudden presence, Heechul had perfectly it hidden under his plain expression. LeeTeuk took a step forward; his naughty smirk came out automatically. 

“It happens because I have never tried it,” He paused as he took a glimpse of the man in front of him. Heechul face showed no change. “If I try for this once, I believe I will have a satisfying result.” 

As soon as he finished his sentence, Heechul frowned. His eyes were looking straight into LeeTeuk’s. The anxiety and disbelief flashed for a second in Heechul’s eyes. 
 

“You know the risk,” Heechul murmured. 
 

“I know it very well,” LeeTeuk answered back, noticing the sincerity inside his friend’s voice.

“It’s going to be fine. Demons are immortal and I’m bored. She would entertain me well.” 
 

Then he left the room to wander by himself. His mission was clear. To make her heart read and eat it while the last thing to do was to say good bye. 

He went to the earth earlier than usual. If usually he would go by noon, this time he came in the morning. The excitement he felt made him impatient. He didn’t want to wait anymore. The curiosity ate him. 
 

Hiding under his naughty attitude, he walked silently into the church. His smile appeared almost immediately. She was already there, painting the wall on the back of the building.  The loud voice of his shoes didn’t go unnoticed by her. 
 

“This place is so worn out,” He whined as he sat on the back seat, near her place. “It gives me bad feeling,” He continued his complaint. 
 

“Of course you feel that way. This is a church after all,” She snapped before he could say anything. 
 

LeeTeuk tilted his head backward, looking her from his upside down head again. She had now faced his back – and his upside down head—with an annoyed expression. Once she noticed that she was looking at his face, she turned her back to him and continued what she left. 
 

“What are you doing here? I have told you, I’m only in love with God. The other demons gave up and knew well about this. You’re so strange. No matter how many times you come here, I will not change.”
 

He knew that he had been shut down. If he was there without any strong intention, he would have gone from the church. But then, he knew he was there for a reason and he would not give up because she told him to. It needed more than that to make him give up. 
 

As his neck grew tired from his position, he had now sat facing her back. Her small hands had never stopped moving. They were busy painting the wall, careful not to make any mistake as she did. 
 

“What are you doing?” He asked, couldn’t hold the curiosity longer. 
 

“I’m renovating the church,” She answered simply. 
 

“Alone?” He asked again. 
 

With her answer, his eyes finally looked around the church. The church was not a big one but for a girl to renovate it alone, this would tire her out. The church was old already and even by glancing alone, he knew that at least a group of people would be needed to make it look like a new church or at least getting rid of the old aura. 
 

“I have no choice,” She softly told him. 
 

He had noticed how stubborn she was. Her back had never turned to him again. Her hands kept working on the wall as if it was the last weapon for not get distracted by him. 
 

“Father was supposed to do this but he is too old. It has been the priest job ever since. Father is my only family although we have no blood relation.” 
 

‘Why?’ He silently asked to her inside his head. But the word refused to leave his mouth. However, she answered his question as if she had known what he would say. 
 

“Just after I was born, the sea abandoned me. There was also a rainstorm that day. Fortunately, Father saved me. If not, I would be dead by now. That’s why I only believe in God.”
 

Her hands had stopped moving and her eyes were looking somewhere as if she tried to recall the memories she had when she was abandoned, riding the waves as the storm hit her from everywhere. He understood immediately. The reason she had been giving all of her to God. 
 

Annoyed by her story, he mocked God that night. Sighed due to the unexpected turn he had got, he blankly stared the dark sky above him. This girl, she was tough and not something he expected her to be. 
 

“Romance is really not for me,” LeeTeuk mumbled in annoyance. 
 

That night, he failed to sleep as she wouldn’t get out of his head. 

 

 

 

The sunlight woke him up. His sleep had been unpleasant and a little thing he could do about that. Today, his first thought went directly to her. He wondered if she had been in the church again today. With that question lingered inside his head, he quickly climbed down the tree he slept on. 
The church was only ten minutes away—by flying of course, he was not going to walk and tire himself out when he had been tired enough since the start. His curiosity was answered as soon he walked into the church. 
 

She was still there, standing on the centre of the church and looking around the church with an unreadable expression. Smiled to himself, he walked and stopped once he had been in front of her only. His head was full of things he wanted to tell her. There were questions too. They were there since last night when he couldn’t get rid of her from his head. 
 

His mouth twitched in anticipation to let those words rolled out from the tongue. He took a short breathe and looked at her with his most serious expression. 
 

“What is your name?” He heard himself talking. 
 

The fear inside him suddenly made appearance, hiding perfectly all of this time and as the result, that unimportant question came first. He had been up all night and that was the only thing he gave her! What a fool he had turned himself into. 
 

“Hana. Jung Hana,” She replied.
 

Unable to face her confused expression, he turned around. He was just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter