10. Chou no Ito

Melody of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time, there was a newlywed couple. The husband prepared a wedding gift for his beautiful wife soon after they officially became husband and wife. His present was placed in the entrance of a forest. It was a home she had always been dreamt off. A peaceful home where was away from noise and crowd.

“Isn’t it nice?” The husband asked as he led her to their new back yard.

“It’s the forest,” She chuckled.

“Well, technically, yes. But it’s also our back yard,” He told her as he pointed to the green field in front of them.

“It’s pretty though. I love how we face the forest,” She replied.

“I’m glad I decided to build the house,” He said.

The wife laughed at him as she pulled him to lie on the grass.

“It’s so fluffy and soft,” The husband said.

His wife laughed on his statement as she cuddled closer to him.

“I wonder what the forest creatures are doing right now,” She mumbled as she faced the sky.

“Who knows? Maybe they’re having lunch,” Her husband answered sleepily.

 

 

 

Long time ago, there was a tiny and chubby caterpillar who was eating her lunch. Or in her case, a leaf. Her short hair bobbed up and down as she kept munching the leaf. Suddenly, someone walked—or was he jumping? – passed her.

He was someone strange. She had never seen him around. He was all black from head to toe and his arms were dangling lightly around him. Unlike her, his legs were so thin and long. He also had fur around his neck.

Being curious, the little caterpillar decided to greet him.

“Hey! Who are you? I have never seen you around. Are you going somewhere?” She called him as her hands kept holding her leaf tightly.

The strange creature didn’t ignore her. Instead, it gave her a friendly smile as he answered her questions.

“I am a spider and I’m moving to a nice place.”

The caterpillar nodded her head on his answer. She looked at her leaf and thought it would be impolite of her to not offering him her lunch. After all, he did look hungry and skinny.

“Do you want some?” She asked as she the leaf to him.

The spider laughed on her offer as he kept shaking his head to refuse the offer.

“I’m fine. Isn’t that your lunch, Miss Caterpillar? You should finish it,” He politely told her.

The caterpillar only could nod. Just when she was about to talk again, the spider had heard a dangerous sound he had been familiar with. She was so deep into him that she didn’t realize there was a hunter beyond their heads.

“It’s a bird! Run!” The spider yelled—warning the daydreaming caterpillar.

The spider was going to run away when he saw the caterpillar hadn’t move much while the bird was getting close. He thought of nothing as he pulled the caterpillar into his embrace and rolled away from where they were. He could hear the bird’s wings gathered air around them and its heat above his head.

Thankfully, both of them were safe and the spider couldn’t be more relieved.

“Thank you, Mr. Spider! My name is JiEun. What’s your name?” the caterpillar asked.

The spider could see how her face had turned red after the shocking event. She was probably terrified and shocked as she almost became the bird’s lunch.
“My name is Daehyun,” He answered quietly.

“Daehyun, can we meet again?” The caterpillar asked.

Now, not all of her face was red. Only the cheeks blushed hard.

“If we are fated to, we will,” Daehyun told her as he jumped away, leaving the caterpillar behind.

 

 

Time passed, and the caterpillar had grown up to become a pretty butterfly. Her short hair had grown rapidly and became waist long. Her gold hair and her beautiful wings shone among the darkness and even under the sun, it still shone brightly.

She had never forgotten about the spider who once saved her from the bird. Ever since her wings grew, she had tried to find him around the forest. Most of the time, she couldn’t find him. Although when she was lucky, she would hear other creatures talked about this ‘spider’ with his fascinating yet dangerous web.

Today, she followed the signs by other creatures to a tall and dark tree on the other side of the forest. As she flew between the tress, she understood why they called it as the darkest side of the forest. Tress grew so closely that it blocked the sunshine to get through. However, there were some small lights able to seep into the darkness.

JiEun could feel her energy drained up quickly in the dark place. She decided to just walk along one of the trees’ branch. She sighed once her feet touched the wood. The coldness wasn’t so familiar with her skin.

Maybe that was why she could sense someone’s presence right away. Being a cheerful and optimistic butterfly she was, she ran to back of the tree where there was a tiny river dividing the ground. Her eyes found a familiar looking guy she had been looking for.

He hadn’t changed since the last time she saw him. He was still wearing all black. Although his skin was a little bit paler than before. He did look bored as he only played around with a leaf near the river.

“Daehyun!” JiEun called excitedly as she ran towards the unmoving spider.

The spider was taken back from the call. It had been some times for someone to call him that excitedly.

“Hi! I’m JiEun! Do you remember?” JiEun greeted him with a wide smile once he looked at her.

He couldn’t hide his surprised expression as he looked at her. She was no longer the tiny and chubby caterpillar he met before. And yes, it did surprise him as he didn’t know she could change.

“Ah… Yes. I remember. You’re the caterpillar from before. So you are actually a butterfly?” He mumbled his words.

“You’ve grown to be beautiful,” He added out of nowhere.

JiEun didn’t know why the simple statement made her face warm. Her skin was hot from hearing his words. And her wings suddenly got all excited.
The spider, on the other hand, said nothing and pretended not to see the blush on her face. He sat back to where he was as he kept looking at the new beauty. She was still blushing like crazy but at least she said nothing to embarrassed herself further.

 

Days after their first reunion, JiEun had found herself to be comfortable around Daehyun. Whenever she was done collecting foods, she would visit Daehyun on the darkest side of the forest. And whenever people asked her to go playing after collecting foods, she would refuse them politely and went straight to Daehyun’s place.

The butterfly loved being near to Daehyun. He somehow made her happier and relaxed. For her, there would be a lie if she said she would be fine not seeing her for a day.

And today was no different. The spider waited for her at the same spot she found him in the first time. She didn’t know how long he had been waiting for her as his face showed no change of expression when she arrived. Maybe it was just because she met him or maybe she was just really tired, she used the chance to lean on his shoulder.

He hadn’t said a word ever since she came so JiEun figured out it would be okay if she got closer to him like this. JiEun loved his smell and the warmth of his skin under hers. Nothing could make her happier than now. She closed her eyes to absorb this moment—not wanting time to take it away forcefully.
It wasn’t time who took away the short happiness. It was him who suddenly pushed her—not letting her to lean on him.

“JiEun, you shouldn’t get too close to me,” Daehyun spoke as he avoided her.

“Why?” JiEun asked—her eyes were shining so brightly in the dark place that Daehyun couldn’t help but to feel guilty for what he had done.

Daehyun chose to ignore the question. And so did JiEun. She went back to the cheerful herself as soon she saw his dark face.

“Ah right! I brought over some nectar! Let’s drink it together!” She told him—hands waving the bottle she had brought to drink nectar together with him.

“I don’t drink nectar,” He sighed.

“Oh?? Then what do you eat?” The butterfly asked curiously.

He went silent for a moment and his face even got darker than before. Once again, he sighed. He couldn’t ignore the last question. She had to know.

“Follow me,” He said heavily.

JiEun watched in confusion as Daehyun walked away. Not wanting to get left, JiEun hurriedly ran to match his pace.

They went through plants and JiEun even had forgotten the path they were coming before as Daehyun kept walking. He didn’t even bother to look back to see if she was following him.

And when they stopped, that was when he finally looked at her. He stared at her as she heaved out another sigh before brushing away a leaf.

“I made this,” Daehyun said.

What the leaf hid was an amazing sight. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter