This is Normal

Black & White

 

                “Hyuna, how could he forget,” I groaned as I buried my face in my hands. At the 4Minute dorm, I sat on the white sofa in the living room with my legs crossed. Hyuna, one of my closest friends, stood in kitchen as she made some freshly squeezed orange juice. “I went and bought this amazing outfit just for today and I spent over an hour getting ready this morning.” With two glasses filled with orange juice in her hands, Hyuna sat beside me and handed me one. My hand gripped the cold glass as I took a few small sips.

                “I don’t know what to say G.Na,” said Hyuna. “I mean isn’t this kind of stuff normal between the two of you?” I choked on the orange juice and nearly spat it all over the white sofa. I gave Hyuna a look of alarm.

                “What are you talking about?” I asked. Hyuna gave me a small shrug and took a sip of the orange juice. I was about to protest when my cell phone started to vibrate on the glass coffee table in front of us. A picture of Jinwoon appeared on the screen and I groaned.

                “Are you going to answer that?” asked Hyuna. I shrugged and sipped some more orange juice. “G.Na,” she groaned at me. “You have to talk to him.” I shook my head as the vibrating stopped.

                “I don’t want to talk to him,” I said. Hyuna gave me a stern look and I knew she was right. I was acting childish and immature, but I felt very hurt. “I know I have to talk to him, but not right now.”

                “Ugh, fine, do what you want,” said Hyuna. We sat in silence as we finished our orange juice. Ga Yoon walked into the living room; dressed in black sweatpants and a red sweatshirt, she wore a look of frustration and determination on her face.

                “Hey Hyuna, have you seen my tennis shoes?” Ga Yoon asked as she scanned the floor of the living room.

                “No, but didn’t Ji Hyun mention something about them yesterday?” said Hyuna. Ga Yoon placed her hands on her hips and continued to search around the room.

                “I don’t know,” said Ga Yoon frustrated. She raised her eyes to me and froze. “I interrupted something didn’t I?” Hyuna nodded and smiled politely. “Well I guess I will just go and ask Ji Hyun.” Ga Yoon turned and slipped out of the room. I sighed and leaned against the back of the couch.

                “Hyuna, today was just too important for him to forget,” I said softly as I stared at the white ceiling above me. “I mean, we both have today off so we made plans ahead of time. It is so hard to get a lot of time together since we are both so busy.”

                “I’m sorry G.Na,” said Hyuna. She stood up and took my glass from me. “I guess guys don’t think like we do.” She washed the glasses out and placed them on the counter to dry. “But you and Jinwoon fight all the time, so isn’t this normal?” Is it normal? I guess Jinwoon and I do fight a lot. Then suddenly tears ran down my cheeks.

                “I was so looking forward to today,” I whimpered. Hugging my knees tightly, I sobbed. Hyuna sat beside me and placed her arm around my shoulders.

                “You know it’s not too late,” she whispered in my ear. As I turned my head towards her, confusion was plastered on my face.

                “What?” I asked.

                “You still have the tickets and you can still go with Jinwoon.” She smiled at me and my lips slowly spread into a smile as well.

                “Really?” She nodded, reached towards the coffee table, and picked up my phone. The phone that was placed in my hands showed my reflection. Streaks of tears ran down from my red eyes that were rimmed with my mascara that was starting to run down my face.

                “Call him G.Na,” said Hyuna softly. I nodded my head and dialed Jinwoon’s number. After one ring Jinwoon answered.

                “G.Na? I am so relieved that you called,” said Jinwoon. The sound of his voiced made my heart soar and I smiled. “Where are you? I have been out looking everywhere for you.” He spoke fast with a hint of panic in his voice. I did not speak right away and a moment of silence hung between us. “G.Na? I am so so very very sorry.” More panic filled his voice.

                “I’m with Hyuna at the 4Minute dorm,” I replied and I heard a sigh of relief. “Hey Jinwoon?” My phone felt slippery in my hand as a strange feeling of anticipation came over me.

                “Yes?” asked Jinwoon. What if he does not want to spend time with me today? What if he forgot on purpose because he really did not want to see me?

                “I was thinking, do you still want to go today?” Jinwoon chuckled a little bit.

                “Of course I do.” I smiled and felt very happy. All my anger and sorrow that I felt earlier completely disappeared. “I will come and pick you up so stay put okay?”

                “Okay, I will.” I hung up and gave a sigh of relief. A smile spread across my face and I just could not stop it. Hyuna nudged me and smiled.

                “See, everything worked out,” said Hyuna. “Your date is not ruined.” I nodded and hugged her.

                “Thank you, whenever Jinwoon and I fight, you always seem to make me think clearly again.” She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a tight squeeze. Then she slowly pulled away from me and took one of my hands.

                “Now let’s fix you back up,” she said as she pulled me up from the couch and led me to her bedroom.