Chapter 4

Protecting the Phoenix

 

Two weeks passed since Yongguk moved in to watch over the Phoenix. It actually hasn’t been too bad. They started to fall into a routine of some sort. Yongguk would go to class with Jieun which took up a good half of the day. Apparently she was a business and political science double major with a minor in piano. Her class schedule was pretty busy, so they would attend lecture after lecture. It was kind of fun for Yongguk though. He was experiencing that feeling of going to college class lectures and learning. The economics and business classes actually interested him, and Yongguk found himself taking notes and listening while Jieun would snooze off next to him. The only classes Jieun payed attention to was music theory and a vocal class? Jieun wouldn’t let him come into that class though, as it was supposed to be for the “elite students” or something. But she had Daehyun in that class, so Yongguk didn’t have to worry too much. He just chilled outside the room, secretly glad he didn’t have to go in. Imagine if the teacher made HIM sing. Yongguk shivered at the thought.

After classes Jieun would usually lock herself in a study room in the library. It was their week of midterms and since the girl always slept through class, she obviously needed all the extra time to study. So most of the time, Yongguk would just read random books (more like her textbooks) or watch Jieun study. But Jieun was a bit crankier than usual this week because of the stress of school. So, she would yell at him a couple times that he was breathing too loudly or causing a distraction by moving so much. So Yongguk opted to stay outside the study room during those times. Things have been rather uneventful, but Yongguk was okay with that. Actually, he preferred that. He saw Jieun’s friends a lot, too. Especially Yongjae. Apparently they had a class together so they studied together or whatnot. The creepy girl (Zinger) visited a lot too, towing along her rowdy little brothers, who always provided Yongguk with company. Not that he liked them, no, no. But he preferred them over Jieun’s other friends. At least they thought he was cool. Not that he needs the reassurance or anything. 

When Jieun wasn’t in class or studying, she worked. Yongguk was very surprised when he found out that Jieun worked at the coffee shop he first “encountered” her at. He had no idea why she would need a job in the first place, but she would say something along the lines of “I don’t need my dad to do everything for me” and not talk about it. The times when Jieun worked were Yongguk’s favorite times. He would just sit on the comfortable couch and read some books or study some economics (Jieun’s books, mind you.) Plus Jieun looked kinda cute in her uniform. She always brought him a cup of americano too, free of charge. It kind of felt like they were... friends. Almost. 

“Yah, Yongguk, my shift is done! Let’s go!” Jieun said, walking towards him. Yongguk followed her out the shop as they walked the short distance back to the apartment.

“Gosh, this week is killing me!” Jieun complained, stretching, “I have one more paper due tomorrow and I’m done. Finally!”

“It doesn’t seem that bad.”

Jieun stopped walking and looked at him funny, “It’s not that bad? Seriously? Do you see all the things I have to memorize and understand and conceptualize and blah blah blah.”

Yongguk chuckled. “Yes, I do. But you obviously don’t because you sleep in all your classes.”

“I do not!” Jieun shouted, “Hehe, okay maybe I do. But those classes are so boring. That business stuff is gross.” She crinkled her nose.

“Come on, it’s not that bad!” Yongguk said, “It’s actually interesting.”

Jieun gave him a weird look. “If you like it so much why didn’t you just major in it? Or did you?”

“Didn’t have the chance to go to college.” Yongguk said, “I would have loved to though. Study economics. ” 

“Oh.”

It suddenly got awkward. Thankfully, they arrived at the apartment and went inside. 

“Well go do your paper now.” Yongguk said, “I’ll go buy some chinese food for dinner.”

Jieun nodded. “Thanks!” and she headed to her room. 

 

--

 

Jieun had been staring at her computer screen for barely 30 minutes but it felt like hours. She only wrote one paragraph so far about the political debates of the upcoming elections. Honestly, it was kind of weird writing a paper about her dad. She just wanted this night to be over. Suddenly she heard the door open. Ah, that must be Yongguk. Thank goodness, cause she was hungry. 

Jieun went to the living room and saw Yongguk setting up the Chinese food.

“This looks so good!” Jieun shouted happily, “I’m so hungry!”

She grabbed some chopsticks and started stuffing her face with the chowmein and chicken. Jieun kept devouring her food until she heard Yongguk laughing. She looked up with food full in .

“Wut tho pun-nee?” Jieun asked while trying to chew her food. Yongguk laughed again, “You’re eating like a child who starved for days.”

Jieun force swallowed the food in and retorted, “What do you mean? I eat like a lady.” She showed him back daintily picking up a piece of broccoli and eating it very slowly. 

“Ladies don’t leave food on their face.” Yongguk said. He leaned over and wiped off the sauce on the side of her lip with his thumb. Jieun froze up upon contact and just blinked at him. Yongguk’s face was extremely close to hers. Their eyes made contact and Yongguk awkwardly coughed as he sat back down mumbling a sorry. 

“So.. uh, how’s your essay coming along?” He asked while eating his own food.

“Not very well.” Jieun said, her mind still playing what just happened before. “It’s a little bit weird writing about my dad.”

“Speaking of your dad,” Yongguk said, “I talked to him recently and I hope you remembered that you have to be at the debate tomorrow morning.”

“Oh my gosh.” Jieun groaned as she set her chopsticks down to place her head in her hands. “I completely forgot! Dang it, I think I might have to pull an all nighter. I don’t know if I can finish it.”

Jieun stood up and starting pacing and mumbling to herself. Yongguk got up and held her shoulders with his hands to keep her from pacing. “You’ll be fine. Come on, go work on it right now. I’ll help you.”

Jieun laughed. “You know about political stuff?”

Yongguk smirked, “Yes, because I happen to attend your classes, too. Obviously I’m a better student than you.”

“Alright, whatever.”

Jieun walked back to the desk in her room and started typing again. Yongguk trailed in and pulled up a chair next to her. 

“So what do you have so far?” He asked.

“Just the introduction of the election process. I’m about to start explaining both side’s platforms and then analyze why I think one of this is better.”

“You’re obviously going to choose your dad’s right?”

Jieun shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m honestly really not interested much in politics.”

“Well, looks like you’re gonna start getting to know it now.” Yongguk handed Jieun her textbook. Jieun took it begrudgingly and opened it. Wait a minute, there were post-its and highlighter markings. What the heck, when did she ever take these notes? Jieun looked at Yongguk. “Did YOU do this?”

Yongguk shyly nodded, “All I have is time. When you’re in class, when you’re working. I mean, it’s not that bad either. It’s interesting.. kind of.”

Jieun was so touched by Yongguk’s thoughtfulness.

“Thanks Yongguk!” Jieun said cheerily, patting him on his head. “This might not take as long as I expected!”

“Hwaiting!” Yongguk encouraged her.

“Hwaiting!” Jieun echoed. She put her hair up in a ponytail and put her glasses on. 

“I’ll go make you some coffee.” Yongguk said, “Although it won’t be up to par with yours.”

“Thanks!”

This was going to be a long night.

 

--

 

Jieun closed her eyes in the passenger seat as Yongguk was driving to the debate location. 

Yesterday night, it took Jieun until 4 am to finally finish the darned essay. After drinking 3 cups of coffee (courtesy of Yongguk), Jieun started feeling jittery and couldn’t focus on writing her essay. She doesn’t even remember exactly what she wrote. By the time Jieun finished it, her brain turned into mush. Thankfully Yongguk offered to edit the paper for her, so she woke him up when he finished so that he can look over it. Jieun swore she just placed her head on her pillow when her alarm rang to wake up. This morning, Jieun scrambled to shower and make herself look presentable. She chose to wear a black pencil skirt with a white blouse and beige blazer along with a pair of black kitty heels. Jieun rolled her hair into a neat bun and pinned it down. She put light make up on and wore the diamond necklace her dad gave her that had been rotting in her drawers. Finally ready, she went outside where Yongguk was waiting for her with the car ready. He looked really nice. Jieun forgot how sharp he looked wearing a suit. 

And so now, they were almost at the destination. Jieun checked her face in the mirror. Hopefully, she didn’t look too tired. She sighed. 

“Are you nervous?” Yongguk asked as they pulled into the parking lot and went through the security system. 

“No.” Jieun said, “My job is only to sit there and smile. It’s not very fun. Except when I walk in with my dad and wave. When I was younger, it made me feel like a princess when I did that. Haha, now it’s actually just whatever.”

“Well, you look nice, so you don’t have to fret about being ugly on television.”

Jieun snorted, “Well jeez, thanks.”

Yongguk parked the car and they got out to walk into the auditorium. 

“Wow, this place is pretty huge!” Yongguk said. 

“Yeah, yeah. Come on, let’s go.” Jieun lead the through the doors and labyrinth like hallways and into the heavily protected room where her father was preparing.

“Appa!” Jieun said as she popped in the room. Mr. Song, who was busy reading his notes, looked up and smiled. 

“My beautiful daughter!” He went to give Jieun a big hug. “And Mr. Bang. I hope Jieun hasn’t been too much of a hassle.”

“No, sir. It has been good, sir!” Yongguk replied. 

A guy rushed in saying “On air in 5!”

“Alright, looks like we’re on soon.” The president said.

“Good luck, appa! hwaiting!” Jieun hugged him once more as he left to go on the stage. Yongguk and Jieun made their way to sit in audience. They had to fight through some people when suddenly someone called out “Jieun-ah?”

Jieun turned around and saw a familiar face. 

“Woohyun?” Jieun couldn’t believe he was here. It’s been a year since she saw him last. Woohyun walked over to her. “It’s been a while! How are you doing these days?”

“Good. I’m good.”

Woohyun was about to say something when a cute looking girl came up to him and said, “Oppa, they’re starting real soon. You need to be ready.”

“I’ll be there right now” Woohyun told the girl. He looked at Jieun. “It’s nice seeing you, let’s talk after the debate, yeah?”

Jieun just nodded as Woohyun left. 

 

--

 

As Jieun and Yongguk were heading toward their designated seats, some guy called her and started talking to her. Jieun didn’t look too happy though. Yongguk wasn’t exactly sure what happened, but the guy left with a girl and Jieun just stood there in a daze. Yongguk went over and grabbed her arm, pulling her through the crowd to get their seats. Well, at least she was moving. He found their seats and they sat down in time for the debate to start. Jieun still was in a dazed mode, so he jabbed her arm with his elbow. She gasped and looked over at him shocked. Yongguk leaned over and whispered, “You need to smile for the camera.”

Just then a camera focused on Jieun who regained her composure and smiled while looking interested and happy. 

Finally the debate began as the two presidential candidates starting debating about certain issues and topics. This was all very fascinating to Yongguk, as he only saw this on television, never live. He looked over at Jieun who was staring at her lap. Obviously, whoever this guy was, had an effect on her and Yongguk was a bit irked. Who was that guy anyway? Yongguk shook his head and decided to just watch the debate. 

The debate finally ended after what felt like hours, and they started filing out. 

“You feeling okay?” Yongguk asked, worried. Jieun weakly nodded as they headed back to the candidates’ room. 

“Appa!” Jieun said, as she entered the room, “Good job!” She went over and gave him a hug and a kiss. 

“Thanks, darling. Are you going to be coming over soon for dinner?”

Jieun nodded. “Just let me know when you’re free, appa! But I really have to go now, so I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Why are you in such a rush? We can’t even eat lunch together?”

“Sorry appa, I promise to come visit soon though. When you’re free of course.”

“I think you’re busier than me.” He joked.

“I’ll stop by for dinner one day! Let me know when you’re free.”

“Okay. Bye, take care!”

“Eung. Bye appa!”

Yongguk bowed and left with Jieun who briskly walked to the parking lot. As they almost exited the building, a voice called out Jieun again. Yongguk saw it was the same guy from before. He ran up to Jieun and said, “Jieun. Do you have time for some coffee?”

Jieun looked hesitant and nervous. Yongguk in, “I think she needs some rest today.”

“Oh, is that right, Jieun?” Woohyun asked her.

Jieun looked up at Woohyun and said, “No, it’s okay. I can drink coffee.” She turned to Yongguk, “I’m fine.”

Woohyun and Jieun walked to the nearest coffee shop with Yongguk in tow. He had no idea what was going on. Jieun never was this quiet. The two sat down at a table and Yongguk decided to keep his distance and sit a bit far away. Yongguk looked over at them and wondered what they were talking about and how they even knew each other. Dang it, now Yongguk wished he just sat with them. All he can do for now is watch from afar. 

 

--

 

Jieun sipped her tea as she waited for Woohyun to start talking first. She didn’t really want to talk to him, but Jieun wanted to show him that she was doing fine without him.

“So, how have you been doing?” Jieun asked Woohyun with a smile.

“I’m doing really good.” Woohyung replied, “Working at the the government office isn’t too fun, but I enjoy working there.”

“I’m happy for you.” Jieun said with a forced smile.

“How’s school, you’re finishing up your last year, right?”

Jieun nodded.

“Is that guy in the back your boyfriend?” Woohyun asked.

Jieun shook her head. “No. He’s just a friend.”

“He seemed pretty protective of you.”

Jieun ignored his comment and sipped her coffee. She noticed a ring on Woohyun’s finger. “Are you engaged?”

Woohyun smiled, “Yeah. It’s been a couple weeks.”

“Congratulations.”

“Look, Jieun.” Woohyun said, “I’m really sorry about what happened. Our breakup... I know I did it really badly. And I’m very sorry about that. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I mean, it hurt both of us. But I know your personality, Jieun. It’s difficult for you to leave  things and become accustomed to change. I know it’s hard, but you need to move on and find someone else. Someone who’s better than me.”

“Is this why you wanted to see me?” Jieun scoffed, “To show me that you moved on? To see if I’m still hung up over you? This is ridiculous.”

“No, I genuinely care for you. I wanted to make sure you’re okay. I want YOU to move on. I want to see YOU happy.”

“Oh geez, thanks, Woohyun.” Jieun smiled weakly, “Yeah, make sure I’m okay after a year of no contact. You really must care. But I don’t really want to hear anything from you.  Okay. It was nice seeing you though. Thanks for the drink. Hope I get invited to your wedding.”

With that, Jieun stood up and left Woohyun at the table. 

“Let’s go, Yongguk” Jieun said as she passed by him. 

The car ride back to the apartment was very silent.. and a bit uncomfortable, but Jieun was too deep in thought to really notice. 

“So.. is everything okay?” Yongguk asked. 

“Everything’s fine.” Jieun curtly replied.

“Do you want to... talk about it?” 

“There’s nothing to talk about, I told you, everything’s fine.”

Silence filled the car once more. Jieun knew she wasn’t being fair projecting her anger onto Yongguk, so she opted in not talking. 

They finally arrive at the apartment and Jieun rushed into her room before Yongguk can see her. She threw off her shoes and sat down on her bed. Jieun hugged her knees to her chest as she felt tears slipping from her eyes. Dang it, she promised herself she would never cry again because of Woohyun. There was a knock on the door. Jieun just ignored and put her head in her arms. Yongguk opened the door and came to sit down next to Jieun. He awkwardly pat her on the shoulder and said, “It’ll be okay.”

Jieun started crying even harder. “Why am I so pathetic?” Jieun asked, “He’s moved on. And here I was this whole time, stupidly waiting for him, secretly hoping there is a chance it’ll work out again. I’m so dumb, huh?”

“No you’re not.” Yongguk said, “It just shows that when you love, you love with your all. It’s an admirable aspect. It shows you are kind and compassionate. That guy is probably just regretting losing someone like you. ”

Jieun sniffled as she lifted her head. “Really?”

“Yeah. Don’t worry, you’ll find a good guy and make that other kid regret ever leaving.”

Jieun mumbled a thanks. 

Yongguk just patted her on the shoulder and handed her a cup of warm hot chocolate he brought in earlier. “Here, drink this. My mom always made me this to make me feel better.” 

“Thanks.” Jieun said, taking the drink. “Really. Thanks, Yongguk.”

“It’s no bigs.”

“You’re much more different than I imagined you would be.”

“How so?”

“I don’t know. You’re not as mean as I thought. And  it kind of feels like we’re friends now.”

Yongguk nodded. “I guess we are.”

There was silence until Yongguk added, “You thought I was mean? Do I have to remind you of all the things you did to me when I first came here?”

Jieun laughed. Yongguk laughed too. Strangely, Yongguk didn’t mind this at all. 

 

---------

 

AN: Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! (It was a little longer than usual). Hehe, thanks for being pateint with the update. I might put up a side story of Jieun and Woohyun's story later, if people are interested. I just couldn't really find a fitting place to add it in this chapter. Just let me know! ^^ Till next time~