The Back Row

Behind The Scenes ll EXO-M Interactive Game

 

~ DAY ONE ~

 

You decided to sit in the row at the back of the lecture hall, out of habit. Back at your previous school, Hyeri would always drag you to the seats at the back of the classroom because it allowed her to slack off during class without getting caught. So while the teacher was teaching at the front, you would be listening and copying notes off the board and Hyeri would either be on her phone or taking what she liked to call the 'mandatory rejuvenating maths/ science/ history beauty nap'.  

You barely walked up the first two steps when you heard snickering and whispering coming from two girls in the front row. You turned to see what they were snickering about only to catch the girl with long auburn hair giving you the once-over before resuming her whispered conversation with the friend next to her. You ignored it and continued up the steps. All the students were dressed in the mustard yellow uniform, guys and girls alike. The only article of clothing that differentiated them from others were their shoes, bag and accessories.

You picked the seat located right next to the steps, making it easier for you to get in and out of. The back row allowed you to have a bird's eye view of the entire student body. You watched as the seats in the front row slowly begin to fill with people. As you looked at the mass of people, you noticed that everyone seemed to know at least one person. The fact that you were the new kid began to jab at you and you were reminded of that as you looked at the mass below. Being the new kid was one of the top awkward situations you wanted to avoid. Having to stand up in front of a classroom full of judgemental young adults and giving an short yet unnecessary introduction about yourself, an introduction which no one listens to in the first place. Introducing yourself to a group of uninterested students was just the tip of 'new kid' scenario. FInding a place to sit and eat for lunch as well as working on group projects are what makes the life of the new kid grim and scary.

 

* 1 new message *

Have you seen him yet?

Hyeri

 

You pulled out your phone and stared at the message. At least you had Hyeri and her obsession with Luhan to momentarily distract you from the fact that you practically knew no one. You quickly typed back a reply,

 

No haven't seen him yet.

_________

 

Your head lay rested on the palm of your hands as you stared at the students below, letting the chatter act as background noise as you daydream. You would occassionally move to the side to make room for other students filing into the seats of your row. Before you knew it, every seat in the back row was filled except for the two seats adjacent to yours. Yep, this was the life was a new kid.

A middle aged man dressed in a tailored dark navy suit, with a laptop tucked under his right arm walked towards the podium at the front of the hall. "Good morning everyone, I am professor Oh and I'll be taking you for Korean literature." A clear soothing voice broke through the chatter and your daydream. 

Professor Oh had jet black hair that was neatly sleeked back. His black rimmed glasses that sat perfectly on his face. His lips were pursed as he placed his laptop on the podium, displeased with the amount of chatter being produced in the room. He clipped what you assumed is a small audio device between the second and third button of his white shirt before speaking. "As you all know, we accept eleven students from different schools each year and this year is no different. Sitting among you are this year's eleven." 

So there were eleven other students in the room that were also new. Could these people be your fellow commorades? But from your obsevation of the student body, they all seem to have blended in perfectly with the rest of them. They also probably met someone who they could call a friend.

"And like every other year, I'll not be pointing out who they are to ensure that they have a smooth transition into the school year. Now would everyone like to open their laptops, we'll begin our lesson."

You watched as people around you pulled out either a slim notebook (laptop) or a tablet from their bag. No folders stuffed with unorganised papers, pens spilling out of pencil cases or tattered notebooks in sight. You felt embarassed pulling out your laptop which looked like a dirty cement truck compared to their sleek sports car of a device. At least you have a laptop. Placing your device on the small table, you opened it just like the professor had instructed. However, you had no clue to what to do next. You peered over the shoulders of the person sitting in front of you to see what they were doing. Oh... the professor wanted you to take notes throughout the lesson. So you opened up a word document as well and typed 'Korean literature' as the heading.

Ten minutes into the lesson where professor Oh was explaining the period which greatly impacted Korean literature, a guy waltzed in through the doors. Everyone's attention was diverted from the professor to the guy that just entered. "Nice of you to join us, Mr Kim."

Whispers and giggles floated from either side of the room as the guy nonchalantly made his way up the steps, stopping in front of you.

You looked up. So this was what prince number three looked like in the flesh. His hair was the colour of coal and slightly covered his eyes which were tinted with arrogance. His white shirt looked like it was quickly thrown on, the hem of the shirt untucked from his trousers. The manadatory tie and jacket missing from the whole ensemble. 

"Move." He voice was low and commanding.

You furrowed your brows in confusion before realising that he was probably referring to your bag that blocked his path. You quickly picked up your bag and pressed your legs into the front of the chair to make room for him to get to the empty seats. 

Only he didn't move. He stood there, hands in his pockets, waiting. 

Now you were really confused.

"Move." The same command came from him again. 

The students in your row were now looking over at you, whispering to each other. Was he asking you to move to the next seat? Who the hell did this guy think he was. 

"Move." This time his voice was laced with annoyance. Being the bigger person, you shifted your belongings over to the neighbouring seat but what you really wanted to do was to give him a piece of your mind.

"Is there a problem Mr Kim?" The professor Oh's voice echoed from the speakers and you could swear that every pair of eyes in the room turn in direction as you got up to move seats.

"Not anymore." You heard him mutter as he slid into your seat, a small smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

If you had to describe prince number three in one word it would be 'A-hole'. You focused on the professor's lecture, unconsciously venting your anger and irritation on the keys of your laptop. Those poor innocent keys had done nothing wrong and yet your fingers speared each individual key like had taken the most precious thing from you. Throughout the remainder of the lesson, you would occassionally glance over at Mr A-hole. He had his arms crossed in front of his chest, his head was tilted slightly downwards, casting a shadow over his eyes which remained closed. You had to admit despite his arrogant jerk face personality he was quite good looking. Who were you kidding, he was extremely good looking but you were going to admit to that out loud especially if it fed his ego. Was it possible to 100% despise someone you didn't even know this much?

When the lecture ended, he like everyone else filed out of the room, leaving you to pack up your things. You made a mental note to yourself as you did, to never sit in the back ever again. This would be the first and last time you were going to see Mr A-hole in person. 

 

Lunch