Chapter Two

Almond Blossom
I have a weak heart
I get really lonely too
Sometimes, i cry by myself too
Beacause I’m a fool, I only know one thing. (Too Many Tears - Bae Suzy)

*Bae Su Ji

When the class ended, I hastily put my things to my bag and immediately left the room, away from my best friend and his further questions that I can’t answer.

     Not now, I told myself.  But I can’t help but feel guilty.

     I will tell him tomorrow. I promised.

I walked fast through the school hallway and didn’t bother to wait for Myungsoo at the gate. I walked and walked until I was on the bus stop.

     I really hope no one approach me. I don’t really want to talk with anyone right now.

Thankfully, the bus arrived sooner than I expected and also left immediately. I sat at the back and also near the window and put on my earphones, played some music then closed my eyes.

I must have fallen asleep, because when I opened my eyes I noticed that the bus is slowing down to the bus stop that is three blocks away from my house. I hit pause on my iPod and put my earphones on my bag.

     Thank goodness, I woke up, I told myself.

I got out of the bus and walked alone. My walk feels slow and painfully quiet. I was used to walking with Myungsoo while talking about random things and random jokes, which he is terrible at, but I still laugh with him because his laugh was infectious.

I opened the door of the house and looked at the living room. The television was on but no one is there.  Mom must be in the kitchen. I walked towards the television and turned it off then went into the kitchen.

As I neared the kitchen, I saw Mom washing some dishes on the sink with her back facing at me. She must’ve sensed me enter the kitchen because of the creek sound that the floorboard, near the door, makes.

          “Suji, I made some homemade granola bars.”  She said still not turning around.

          “it’s on top of the oven if you want to have some snac-” She said, but was cut off when I hugged her waist.

          “Oh, Honey…” She started. I heard the sink turned off and felt mom wiping her hand with a towel.

She pried my hands from her waist and turned around to hug me on her chest.

          “Bad day?” she asked gently. I nodded as my tears uncontrollably flowed down on my face and soaking my mom’s blouse.

After a few minutes, I lift my head and wiped my tears. She smiled at me warmly and said “Tell me when you’re ready, okay?” I nodded and smiled sadly and hugged her again.

I was walking up on the stairs when I heard her say “If you ever got hungry, there will be leftover dinner on the fridge and some granola on the cabinet, okay?”

     Alright, Mom. I spoke in my mind but didn’t say it out loud.

When I got up to my room, I locked the door, put down my bag and dive into the bed. I didn’t even bother to change my clothes.

I buried my head on my pillow and cried. The pillow muffled my sobs, which is good, because I don’t want anyone to hear me. After a while I felt my eyes getting tired and sleepy.

     It’s a good thing it’s Friday, or else I will probably get detention for not doing my homework. I thought to myself then sleep overtook me.

 


 

I woke up by the sound of my window being hit by something.

     Probably just the branch of a tree.

I squinted my eyes and looked around the room.

     Huh, still dark.

I turned my eyes on my desk to check the time.

12:45 am.

     I slept that long? I thought to myself.

          “Su ji!” Someone whispered.

I gasped and hid on the covers.

     What was that?

          “Su ji!” Someone said again. Then knocked on the window.

          “Su ji! Open Up! ” Wait! Is that?...

          “Myungsoo!”  I said as I lift the covers of my bed from my face. I stood up and opened my windows. I shivered involuntarily because of the sudden air that washed over me.

          “What are you doing? You scared me!” I half-shouted, half-whispered.

          “I’m sorry. I’m sorry”

          “Oh my god! How did you get up here?” I asked him.

          “A ladder.” He shrugged. I rolled my eyes and backed away from the window and let him in. He inserted his foot first and then the other before pushing his whole body in. Good thing my window is big or else, he probably won’t fit.

          “You could’ve just took the main door, you know? You can die for always doing that. What if you fall?” I told him.

          “Sure, sure.” He shrugged.

I sighed and looked at him but I was surprised when he crossed his arms and looked at me too.

     Uh… Oh. I know where he’s getting at.

I looked away and made my bed. His gaze never leaving my every movement. I kept arranging the bed even though all of the pillows and covers are on its place.

          “Stop it, Su ji. You’ve been doing that for ten minutes now. It’s already on its proper place, and don’t tell me that it’s not because I know how you arrange your bed every time I go here.”

I sighed and decided to sit on the edge of my bed.

          “Quit sighing and talk to me.” He said as he walked to sit beside me.

          “Are you mad at me?” He asked gently.

          “No. I’m not.” I said quietly.

          “Oh, really? Then why didn’t you talk to me in Physics,  dashed out of the room when it ended and didn’t even wait for me at the gate? I waited for an hour you know? Good thing I called Mrs. Bae if you got home safely.”

     An hour? He really waited for me?

          “I’m sorry.” I said quietly. Guilt creeping in me.  “But, it’s true. I’m not mad at you.”

          “Then tell me what’s bothering you.”

          “Nothi-”

          “And don’t you dare tell me it’s nothing. Mrs. Bae told me you had a bad day.”

I grew quiet and didn’t speak.

          “Su ji?” he gently asked.

I closed my eyes and let the flashback flood my mind.

 

END OF CHAPTER TWO