Chapter Four

Almond Blossom

 

Chapter 4

 

 

Myungsoo was staring at Suji the whole time, and Suji can feel it. The flashback of the events that happened earlier was too much for her to handle and it pained Suji. She felt like crying again, as if her hours and hours of crying earlier, wasn't enough

 

The tears were pooling again on Suji's eyes, and will flow from her eyes on any second, but she decided against it and closed her eyes, hard. As if to hold them back. But what happened was the opposite of what Suji had wanted. The tears were too much and it was too late, because as she closed her eyes the tears flowed and caresses her cheek.

 

She cursed internally.

 

Damn, I am so weak!

 

She doesn't want Myungsoo to see her cry, because when he did, she knows that Myungsoo will not leave her and stubbornly stay with her, until she tells him what was wrong.

 

But what Suji want is for Myungsoo to leave her alone, because she knows that people on this school is now judging, not only her but Myungsoo as well. They are probably thinking how the hell he is hanging with a retarded person. Heck. He is even her best friend. His retarded best friend. Just as what everybody thinks now.

 

Myungsoo was once a wallflower just like Suji. He was quiet and reserved. And always spends time with either Suji and Sungyeol or his Mathematical equations and Mathematical calculations

 

But when on their Middle School it all changes, when Myungsoo hit puberty. The students, especially girls, are slowly gaining attention towards him.  The chubby cheeks that he once had, vanished and made his eyes look bigger, made his cheeks more hollow, and made his jaw look sharper. His body also started to grow. he became tall of course, his body that were once lanky developed some muscles that made him look like a man, and also made the female students swoon. And because of this, Myungsoo became popular and also made girls envy Suji. 

 

Myungsoo's throat ran dry when he saw the tears Suji's face. He gulped before opening his mouth to speak.

 

"Suji?" he asked gently.

 

Suji looked away and wiped her face the back of her hands. She stood up from her bed turned her back from him. She walked and stopped at her window, where Myungsoo had entered earlier. She took a deep breath before opening to talk.

 

“Myungsoo…” She started.

 

Myungsoo sat down at where she was sitting before and then looked at her as if saying for her to continue and even though her back was at Myungsoo, Suji knows that he is looking at her and that she got his attention.

 

“…I don’t think that we should hang out, anymore.” She finished.

 

“What?” Myungsoo asked. Dumb-founded.

 

 “You heard me.”

 

“Stop fooling around. Suji.” He stood up and went to stand beside her.

 

“I’m serious.” This stopped Myungsoo on his tracks.

 

“Suji, that’s ridiculous”

 

“I’m serious.” She repeated.

 

"Did I do something wrong?" 

 

"No. Nothing. I just don't want to be seen with you anymore." Suji said.

 

“But, we’re best friends Suji. Just…” He sighed. “Tell me what’s wrong, tell me what really happened earlier.”

 

“It’s noth-”

 

“I told you not to say ‘Nothing’. What really happened, Suji?” He took her shoulders so that she’ll turn and look at him. But when he turned her around her gaze were on the floor.

 

“Look at me.” He commanded. But still, the gentleness never once left his voice.

 

Suji pushed up her arms and shoulders and then shook Myungsoo’s hand away to make it drop limply on his side.

 

“Just…” she hesitated before saying. “… Leave me alone, Myung.”

 

Even though it was heart breaking for Myungsoo to hear what she had just said, he heard her voice faltered at the end of her sentence, and this made it clear for Myungsoo that she did not meant what she had just said.

 

“No, not until you tell me what happened.”

 

Suji did not say anything and just shook her head to the side. Myungsoo waited for her to talk, but after a few seconds she didn’t. But because Myungsoo was never really good at suspense and waiting, he burst out.

 

“PLEASE! Suji!”

 

Suji cringed a little and sniffed. Myungsoo sighed in regret at his actions and asked her again.

 

“Please?” He repeated, but now more gentle.

 

Suji sighed and slowly looked up at him.

 

“They found out, Myung. I don’t know how they did. But they know now.”

 

“Found out what?”

 

She sighed and returned her gaze on the floor again.

 

“About Junseok oppa, Uncle Joonseok.”

 

Myungsoo was taken aback but he just bit his lip and stayed silent because he did not know what to say.

 

“That’s why I said that we should stop hanging out. But… it will be just in school.”

 

Myungsoo’s brows went furrowed in confusion.

 

“But, why?” He asked. “That doesn’t make any sense.”

 

“You know what happened to my father right? They fired him when they found out about my uncle. You know how people are, Myung. They judge you, gossip you and belittle you. And I can’t risk you to be judged and belittled like what they did to my father… and me.” She said weakly.

 

“No.” He said.

 

She looked up at him with questioning eyes.

 

“I will stay with you and be your best friend. I know that you want to protect me from those shallow people. But I don’t care about what they will say or what they will think. I never really cared about them anyway. And even if you want to be alone in this, I know that you need me, so I will stay with you.” He said with determination on his eyes.

 

She sniffed and tears made their way out of her eyes again. His face relaxed to a gentle face and then hugged Suji.

 

Suji buried her face on his chest and sobbed there, ruining Myungsoo’s shirt with her tears and snot. But he doesn’t mind nor cares, because Myungsoo will do anything for his best friend. For his Suji.

 

“I’m sorry, Myung.” She said pathetically and almost incoherently because her voice were muffled by her buried face on Myungsoo’s shirt.

 

“It’s alright. I know that you did not meant what you said.” He hushed her.

 

After Suji had stopped crying, they were silent for a few minutes. She then break away from the hug by gently pushing his chest away from her face. 

 

“And Myung…” she started. Myungsoo looked at her eyes. “…Thank you.”

 

He smiled gently.

 

“What are friends are for?”

 

Suji smiled back, but deep inside her heart ached again. Not because of what happened earlier, but because her heart is wanting for him and her to be more than just friends. More than just best friends.

 

Suji sniffed on last time, wiped her eyes with her hands looked at her best friend.

 

“I’m hungry, Mom said that she made homemade granola bars”

 

His smile went wide.

 

“Yum!” He said, then looked at his watch. “I also heard that FOX Korea are having a marathon on our favourite show. Right about… now. Want to stay up late?” he shrugged before saying, “It’s Saturday tomorrow.”

 

“Let’s go!” she grabbed his hand and lead him downstairs.

 

When they stepped their feet on the main floor, Suji went to the kitchen and Myungsoo followed suit after he the television and putting it on their favourite channel.

 

The sound of the drawers opening at the kitchen and the sound of their silent laughs were able to wake Mr. Bae from sleeping. He stood up and tiptoed quietly, so that he would not wake his wife, and then went to see what was going on the kitchen. Suji’s father stopped on the railing of the stairs in front of his and his’ wife’s bedroom. Mrs. Bae felt the emptiness on her side so she followed her husband shortly and stood beside him, looking at the two teenagers.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Bae no longer wonder how Myungsoo can sneak in late at night. Because he had bed doing that ever since their daughter and him were kids..

 

They also both knew that Suji had a bad day and only Myungsoo can cheer her up. So instead of scolding them, they just let them be.

 

“They’re growing up so fast.” Mr. Bae mused.

 

“Yes, they are.” Mrs. Bae agreed.

 

After a few minutes of watching the teenagers, Mrs. Bae opened to speak again.

 

“Myungsoo…” She started.

 

“Hm?”

 

“He is good for Suji.”Mrs. Bae finished.

 

Suji’s father sighed. Even though Mr. Bae had always been very strict about Suji having a boyfriend, he cannot help but agree with his wife. Myungsoo is, in fact, really good for Suji. And when Suji and Myungsoo did end up together. Mr. Bae would be thankful that it is Myungsoo rather than anyone else.

 

Yes, he trusts Myungsoo. He had known this kid as much as he knew his daughter and even loved him like his own son. So he actually think that Myungsoo was the best candidate for Suji. But, that is if they ever end up together.

 

These two are so oblivious on how they feel. But, Maybe they actually know how they feel but just scared to confess to each other. Mr. Bae thought.

 

“Yes, he is good for Suji.” He agreed as he looked at his wife.

 

Mr. and Mrs.Bae, then made their way to their bedroom to continue sleeping, leaving Myungsoo and Suji at the living room eating granola bars and microwaved popcorns with their favourite Korean-subtitled-American shows until sunrise.