Daehyun and Youngjae's Story - Part One

Zelo's Bedtime Stories

     Zelo wasn't exactly sure on what to do. Both Youngjae and Daehyun were obnoxiously cooing to each other, sitting right beside Zelo. He merely stared at them, deciding between getting their attention again, or to wait it out. At least they still acknowledged his presence. 

 
     "Shouldn't we tell him a story now?" Youngjae inquired giggling, trying to pry the older's hands off pinching his cheeks. 
 
     "But you're so fluffy, Jae~" Daehyun replied with a childish voice, ignoring his question all together, still pinching his cheeks. 
 
     "I know I am, but we gotta tell Zelo a story now," Youngjae answered, finally managing to take hold of Daehyun's hands in his own. He easily pulled them out of Youngjae's hold though, and fluffed up his hair. Youngjae scrunched up his face displeased, and raised his hands to his head to smooth it back down. 
 
     Daehyun smirked, as he messed up his hair again. Youngjae raised his hands protectively.
 
     "Stop, Daehyun!" Youngjae cried, trying to pretend to be mad, but he broke out into a grin after looking at the older's goofy smile. Daehyun reached forward to bother him once again, but Youngjae abruptly shoved him rather roughly off the bed. He hit the ground with a loud thump. Youngjae's smile disappeared almost immediately, when he realized what he did. 
 
     "Oh my God, Daehyun, I'm so sorry!" The younger boy exclaimed, leaping up off the bed, to hold out a helping hand to the male on the floor. 
 
     Daehyun took it, and Youngjae went to help him up. Zelo saw Daehyun jerk his hand downwards, sending Youngjae tumbling on top of him. They both burst out laughing, and Youngjae rolled onto his back off the boy. They clutched their stomachs and rolled onto their side after a few moments, trying to control their hysterical laughter. Zelo sat up in bed awkwardly, gazing at his two hyungs rolling on the floor.
 
     The maknae cleared his throat, trying to get their attention. Only Youngjae looked up at the boy, and the laughter finally died down.
 
     "Sorry, Zelo, we'll tell you a story now,"  Youngjae told him, standing up and brushing himself off. He held out a hand for Daehyun to take, yet he was cautious what happened previously wouldn't happen again. Daehyun grinned, but he didn't try anything, and let Youngjae help him. 
 
     The two vocalists settled down on the bed, and Zelo slid back under the covers and rested his head on the pillow. Youngjae opened his mouth to begin, but Daehyun spoke before he could.
 
     "Once upon a time-" 
 
     "Hey! I was going to begin!" Youngjae hollered, lightly punching Daehyun. 
 
      "Too bad," Daehyun replied, shrugging his shoulders with a smug smile. Youngjae scowled at him, crossing his arms across his chest, but didn't say anything. Daehyun continued.
 
     Once upon a time there was a young girl, who lived in a small house in a village, with his father and short-tempered maid. Though, she wouldn't say her father lived there, since he was never home. Her mother had died when she was young, and since her father had no clue how to raise a child, the maid was hired. 
 
     The maid could be nice lady, but had a very hard time putting up with the girl. You see, the girl would catch every illness known, had every allergy possible, and was extremely, extremely sensitive to anything that was not perfect. She could not wash dishes, since the soap gave her a rash, same with sleeping in anything but silk sheets. She would cry if her bath water was too cold, or too hot, even if it was too wet or not wet enough. If her food was too mushy or too hard, she refused to eat and would result in sobbing. The only thing the girl could do right was sew. She wanted to be normal but she couldn't help it. This frustrated the maid terribly. 
 
      Daehyun noticed Zelo was paying close attention, even Youngjae seemed to be fascinated with his story. 
 
     "What was the girl's name, Daehyun hyung?" Zelo softly inquired.
 
     Daehyun held back a grin, " Youngjae." 
 
     Zelo burst out into a fit of giggles, but Youngjae shot him daggers.
 
     "What the hell, Daehyun!" He snapped, crossing his arms even tighter. The older vocalist shrugged once again, and carried on. 
 
     Meanwhile, the King and Queen of the country had a Prince- Prince Daehyun- who they decided was at the right age to find a girl to marry, and bear a family. However, this girl had to be a princess, a real true princess. They came to conclusion that a series of tests would be done with all the princesses of the land who wanted the prince's hand in marriage and showed up to the castle.
 
     Youngjae scoffed, catching both Daehyun and Zelo's attention. 
 
     "What?" Daehyun inquired.
 
      "Oh, nothing. Nothing at all," Youngjae briskly replied. Daehyun still gazed at him questioningly, but Youngjae simply motioned for him to go on, so he did. 
 
      One day the Prince went for a walk through the village, gazing over at the joyful children skipping around and laughing every so often. How come they were so stress free and happy? Some of the parents of the kids greeted him politely, and gave a tiny bow. Daehyun would merely nod his head once at them, since he was in no mood to vocally answer. He was stressing and gloomy over the deal of having to settle down with the supposedly right girl. What if she wasn't the right one?
 
      "Oh, poor little Daehyunnie!" Youngjae sarcastically exclaimed. 
 
      "Yes, poor me," Daehyun replied, avoiding addressing the sarcasm.
 
     He kept walking down the stoney path, but halted, because he heard the most beautiful sound. He gazed around until he found the source; the blacksmiths daughter, Youngjae. She had her back turned to him, singing a  simple but nice song to herself, and hanging up laundry on the line from a large basket. Prince Daehyun smiled to himself, and quietly approached her, careful not to disturb her-
 
     "Then he stepped in a giant pile of dog crap, and Youngjae laughed at him. Daehyun then ran away embarrassed and never ever returned. The end," Youngjae bluntly interrupted. Daehyun gave him a disapproving glare.
 
      "No, not the end," The older male stated.
 
     The Prince didn't step in anything, and stopped when he was beside the fair Youngjae. She didn't notice him, until the thin fabric of a blouse fell through her fingers and landed on the grass. Daehyun bent down and picked it up, and handed it to her. She took it without turning her head and hung it up on the line with clothespins, still oblivious to the boy beside her. Daehyun cleared his throat awkwardly.
 
      "Oh! Your highness, sorry, I didn't notice you there!" Youngjae exclaimed, one hand coming up to her open mouth. A blush soon decorated her face.
 
      "It's alright," He chuckled, "I just couldn't help but notice how beautiful you were, and resist coming over." 
 
      Youngjae flushed even more, and mumbled a small 'thank-you.' 
 
      "So, your highness, what are you doing on this fine day?" The girl inquired afterwards, while starting to continue hanging up her clothes. 
 
      "Prince Daehyun's just fine, and actually I was bummed about my soon to be marriage," He replied, watching her carefully. He loved her long blonde hair that flowed over her shoulders, and delicate curvy figure, as she reached up on her tiptoes to do her chores. She wore a light blue and white dress that flattered her very much.
 
      "Oh?" Youngjae asked, gazing over at the Prince.
 
     "Yes, my parents decided it was about time, and they're going to choose the winner of this dumb test they're conducting. I find it ridiculous, but I won't go against them." 
 
      "That's not great, I suppose," Youngjae expressed. 
 
      "Oh, how rude of me. My name is Youngjae, by the way, Prince Daehyun," She added quickly, remembering she never even introduced herself. 
 
       "Youngjae," Daehyun murmured, trying the name on his tongue.
 
      "What a beautiful name," He declared aloud. Youngjae giggled lightly, and thanked him once again.
 
      Daehyun sighed, "I better get going. It was nice talking to you, Youngjae. I do hope to see you around sometime."
 
      "And same goes for you," Youngjae curtly replied.
 
     The prince bowed his head slightly, and bided farewell, turning to leave. 
 
     Meanwhile, the King and Queen had just sent out a invitation across the country for the princesses to arrive at the castle in seven days time or sooner for the chance to be declared the Queen someday along with the Prince. Soon, princesses from all around would be lining up outside the gates of the castle to participate in the truly hard tests- the princess tests. 
 
      A few days later, the maid had convinced Youngjae to come on a picnic with her- and believe me when I say it was hard; Youngjae was allergic to grass, bees, and snakes. She despised bugs of any type, and picnics were always messy and merely not fit for her. However, somehow she ended up going. But it was all an evil plan; the maid was sick and tired of the girl and knew it was time to get rid of her for good. She was going to drown in the nearby lake that day. 
 
     "Oh no, that's terrible!" Zelo cried, eyes watery. Daehyun nodded, but assured the boy that Youngjae would be okay in the story at the end. He reminded him that bedtime stories were always happy.
 
      "Not for Himchan hyung; everyone died in the end for his story," Zelo replied to Daehyun. 
 
       "Oh!" both vocalists exclaimed, horror written on their face. Daehyun put it in the back of his mind to talk to Himchan after everything. 
 
      When the seven days were up, and as planned, hundreds of girls in their finest gowns and carriages were outside the iron gates. Even a few men in terrible disguises were present.They were sent away though, rather roughly if I might add. The guards had a tough time with them. All the ladies were soon let in, after being checked over by the guards who were still cautious after the few incidents. The Queen marked off every girl who made it past the gates on a list; two hundred and three princesses total. 
 
      "Wow Daehyun, that's a lot of girls wanting you," Youngjae stated, rolling his eyes.
 
      "You know the ladies, Jae. They all want me," Daehyun countered with a smirk.
 
      "Oh, of course."
 
      "Where's Youngjae in the story, Daehyun hyung?" Zelo innocently questioned, obviously concerned.
 
      "Oh, she will be here."
 
      That night all the girls were sent off to sleeping chambers and such to get some sleep before the first test the next day. There were so many girls and not enough beds, so some had to sleep on the floor in the hallways. As Daehyun got ready for bed, he had the image of all the princesses screaming, and clawing, and biting each other over beds still fresh in his mind. The Prince laid down in his bed, but he couldn't fall asleep. He swore he heard some of the princesses still violently arguing downstairs. Oh, God. He just hoped they didn't find the swords room. 
 
      Daehyun tossed and turned in bed, but still couldn't sleep. He swung his legs off the bed and walked over to his balcony. He opened the doors, welcoming in the fresh night air, and stepped out. The balcony had a nice view of the front of the castle, and he could see most of the village beyond that.
 
     "Hello? Can anyone hear me?" Cried a familiar voice in the silent night air. Daehyun-
 
      "That's Youngjae! It's Youngjae, I know it! " Zelo screamed in anticipation, jumping up. Both older males jumped up as well, startled by the maknae's sudden outburst. He quickly mumbled an apology, sat back down, and snuggled under the covers. Daehyun and Youngjae blinked a few times, and sat back down as well. 
 
      Prince Daehyun glanced down by the gates. The quivering figure of a girl in the moonlight stood behind the gates, rattling them back and fourth.
 
      "Y-Youngjae? Is that you down there?" The Price called down to the girl, leaning over the railing to get a better view. Youngjae looked stopped shaking the gates, and looked all around, and finally spotted Daehyun up above.
 
      "Oh, Prince Daehyun!" 
 
      "What are you doing out here at this time of night?" Daehyun inquired, cocking his head to the side slightly.
 
       Youngjae hesitated before answering, "My maid was angry and she threw me in the lake and left. But I think she forgot I'm able to swim. Now, I'm positive she doesn't want me back at home." 
 
      Daehyun did notice Youngjae was dripping wet, not to mention the wind out side was strong that night, giving the poor girl goosebumps and chills. Daehyun told her to wait there, and he hurried through the castle to the gates outside. He let her in, and closed the gates behind her. He gave a quick thought to where the guards were, but considering the couple hundred insane girls that temporarily inhabited the castle, it was understandable that they weren't outside where the least trouble would be. 
 
     Prince Daehyun knew for sure that he didn't want her sleeping downstairs with the other not so lady like princesses, so he offered for her to sleep in his king sized bed with him. With a blush, she nodded her head in agreement after his explanation. 
 
     "Ooh~ Youngjae gets to sleep with Daehyun!" Zelo cried happily, throwing his hands up in the air for effect. Daehyun chuckled, however the real Youngjae really blushed at the younger boy's innocent statement. 
 
      Anyways, the next morning the whole castle was up early. The princesses scurried around to make themselves perfect for the day, and gathered in the dining room where the Queen requested. Daehyun and Youngjae were up a tad bit late, but made it to the dining room when everyone was settled around a extremely long table. It just so happened the large amount of people in the room when silent as the Prince and Youngjae walked in. 
 
     "Daehyun, my son, you're just in time!" The Queen greeted, however paused when she eyed the girl.
 
      "Who's this?" She demanded. Youngjae shifted uncomfortably on the spot, under the judging glare of hundreds of girls and the King and Queen themselves. Daehyun stammered for a response, unsure of what to say. 
 
      "A late contestant, I see? Young lady, you're a day late! But I assume you can join us.Take a seat!" 
 
     Youngjae's eyes widened. She wanted to explain herself, but she quickly scurried to grab the nearest seat anyways. Daehyun's eyes widened at her choice. She would defiantly not make it against the other crazed females. With a sigh, Daehyun decided it would be best for him to sit, since he was quite uncomfortable under the stares as well. 
 
      "Alright, very good!" The Queen began explaining, "Ladies, you know our Prince here is in search of the best girl suited to be called his wife. One of you will be her." 
 
      The room erupted in crazy chaos and talking, but the Queen managed to silent them with a frightening glare and snapped command. The room went quiet once again.
 
      "However, to be his wife, you will be participating in multiple tests to test your ability to be the absolute best. The best absolute perfect! Only the most perfect will make it on! These tests will be carrying on though out your day. But, you will not be told when you are being tested, that's the idea! Good luck girls!" 
 
       Youngjae was absolutely frightened; these were actual princesses she was against. Besides, did she even want to marry Prince Daehyun? Well, he was charming, gorgeous, smart, funny, handsome, courageous- 
 
      "Okay, Daehyun, that's enough," Youngjae interrupted his rant. Daehyun huffed, and continued.
 
      The first secret test was as soon as breakfast was done. The girls were shown a model and told they were to wear the exact same dress, which was a deep blue colour. All the girls were given the dress soon after, and they proceeded to put it on. Daehyun was confused to why this was a test, so his mother told him while grinning. 
 
      Prince Daehyun saw Youngjae approached the Queen soon after, with the dress on. The Prince's heart leapt, and hammered in his chest. He broke out into a cold sweat;  what was she going to say? Daehyun couldn't hear a thing, only the loud chattering of the females. He saw Youngjae gesturing to herself and the dress in general, and the Queen nodding with a smile. Soon the girl left the Queen with a grin herself. Daehyun was quick to approach her. 
 
     "What did you say?" He asked in a rush.
 
      "As soon as I put the dress on I noticed something was terribly wrong; the bottom half of the dress is a slight shade lighter!" She expressed as if it was something extremely serious. Daehyun furrowed his eyebrows, but nodded anyways, and moved on. At the end of the hour, about one hundred of the two hundred and four girls noticed, to the Prince's relief. The other one hundred and four were sent home. Some refused to however, and ran and hid among the castle. It pushed the schedule back a bit, considering the many guards that had to split up to hunt the screaming mad girls down and rid of them. 
 
      The next test was during lunch; a single raw noodle was placed in each dish of the girls' pasta salad. Youngjae- who was always spot on- was one of the first to notice this. Luckily, the guards had a break as only approximately fifteen girls didn't catch on and had to leave. 
 
      "Youngjae's not going to leave, right Daehyun hyung?" Zelo asked with a whimper.
 
       "I don't know, Zelo," Daehyun replied with a shrug. 
 
       After lunch, the Queen told the girls congratulations for making it past the first two tests, and gave them each a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Little did forty-three of them know that the bouquet didn't contain all flowers. Daehyun questioned how Youngjae knew that afterwards, as she made it on, to his surprise. She simply shrugged and said there was parsley blended in with it and she has an allergy to it;  not daises, tulips, or roses. The Prince was truly impressed. 
 
      There were forty-thr- nevermind, one had just gotten dragged out by exhausted guards; She must have snuck back in. There were forty-two remaining determined girls, and anyone of them could Daehyun's wife. He was terrified. 
 
       The Queen stood in the middle of the ball room, glaring at the girls with a almost creepy grin. She was enjoying it way too much. 
 
       "Ladies, every princess should already know how to sew. I will give you a needle and thread and an hour to sew the best thing you possible can. You will individually present this to me alone," The Queen finally declared. Some of the girls looked terrified, while others looked perplexed. Daehyun panicked; did Youngjae even know how to sew? He had to wait a painful hour to find that out. Youngjae came out of the throne room looking quite pleased, while other girls stared at her with envy in their eyes as they bit their perfectly manicured nails, clutching a piece of cloth, waiting in line outside the doors on the room. 
 
       "What did your sewing look like?" Daehyun interrogated. Youngjae shrugged mindlessly to this.
 
      "I didn't do a thing." 
 
      "What? You didn't?" The Prince shrieked.
 
      Youngjae shook her head, "Nope."
 
      "Not a single thing?"
 
       "Not a single thing."
 
       "Then how come you look happy?"
 
       "I look happy because I passed. I told her the eye of the needle was too small to do anything, and that was exactly right." 
 
       Prince Daehyun was again quite impressed with the blacksmith's daughter; not even a princess, yet she was smoking everyone in this. 
 
     "That's because I'm the best," Youngjae stated. 
 
     "Yep, you are," Daehyun carelessly agreed, and carried on.
 
      To Daehyun's glee, only one other girl out of the forty- two passed. That meant there was only Youngjae, and a strange princess who stared him down with the scariest of smiles every chance she got. 
 
      The night neared, and there were no more hidden tests; everything went on normally. Besides the discovery of one other psychotic girl hiding in Daehyun's bedroom. He shrieked when he climbed in bed to see the face of a creepy grinning female right up in his own face. It took a few more minutes than necessary for the guards to get to his room to take her away. However, the Prince couldn't even blame them. They've been carrying and dragging girls with a fight out of the castle all day, and struggling to keep them out too. A few had climbed over the tall gates. 
 
      Youngjae, unfortunately, was taken to her own room that night. To her surprise, the bed in the room she was given was stacked tall with twenty different mattresses. Youngjae glanced over at the Queen, concerned if she saw the non-normalness to the bed, but she simply carried on like it wasn't anything and bided her a goodnight. The other princess was given another room as well, but with the same bed. 
 
      Youngjae could not fall asleep that night. Even if someone would think twenty mattresses would be heaven to sleep on, besides the climbing to get up there, it wasn't one bit. Youngjae tossed and turned but could not get comfortable. There was something wrong, but she didn't know what. She finally climbed down and decided to sleep on the floor. Eventually, she got to sleep there.
 
     "I want twenty mattresses on my bed, Daehyun hyung," Zelo declared, shifting in his own bed.
 
     "No," Youngjae bluntly replied for the male telling the story. Zelo blinked a few times at the bland refusal, even if he was merely joking about it. Daehyun went on anyways. 
 
     The next morning at a quiet breakfast, the Queen asked the first girl how she slept.
 
      "Oh, wonderfully! It was an amazing sleep on those many mattresses, thank you very much for asking, your highness," Came the obviously sugared up response. The Queen asked the same thing to Youngjae afterwards.
 
      Youngjae paused before answering," I'm not positive why, but it was a horrible sleep. There was something off, but I couldn't place what. I ended up on the floor, since I could not fall asleep."
 
      The princess sneered at Youngjae, obviously going to win the Prince in her eyes. However, the smirk was wiped clean off her face as the Queen broke out in a grin.
 
      "Amazing!" The Queen congratulated, "that's absolutely amazing. I knew a true princess could detect anything wrong, even by the slightest of mistakes,  and I was correct. A single pea was placed under all those mattresses, and you were able to feel it. You win, my dear!" 
 
      Youngjae's face lit up completely, but it turned to a frown when a high-pitched wail cut through the air.
 
      "NOOOOO," The other girl screeched , " I WON. I AM THE WINNER. THE PRINCE IS MINE, ALL MINE!" 
 
      Everyone looked terrified in the room, as she leapt onto the table, foaming by the mouth, snarling viciously. She sprung off the table and gripped the Prince arm, attempting to pathetically drag him off. Daehyun merely shook the grasp off, and he landed one firm karate chop to her shoulder and she fell to the ground unconscious. 
 
      "Good. I didn't like that girl," Zelo quickly chirped, and then motioned for him to finish his story. 
 
       At the end of the month, Daehyun and Youngjae were happily married, with the village and even Youngjae's father present at the beautiful ceremony. Youngjae's maid found out about the girl still being alive and was furious. Luckily, she landed a job taking care of the last princess who was competing against Youngjae for bride. She must have been thrilled. In the end, everything worked out perfectly, and they lived happily ever after. The end. 
 
      "See, that was a good story!" Zelo expressed, finally content with a story by his hyungs. Daehyun grinned, happy with his achievement.
 
      "However, it could have had more me in it," He quickly added. Daehyun's smile faded. 
 
      "Whatever!" Daehyun voiced, "I think it was quite good, right, Youngjae?"
 
      Youngjae shrugged,"Hm, it wasn't bad."
 
      "See, Youngjae liked it," Daehyun concluded. 
 
      "Yeah, alright, but no one's heard anything until I tell my story!" Youngjae called out, standing up dramatically, placing his hands on his hips, and raising his head up proudly. Daehyun chuckled.
 
      "Okay, Youngjae, you go," The elder vocalist prompted.
 
      "Youngjae hyung, your turn~" Zelo sang. Youngjae sat back down, and tapped his chin thinking for a moment. His face lit up in an instant.
 
       "Alright, I got it. Once upon a time..."
 
 
------------------------------
 
 
      There's the third chapter! I hope you all enjoyed! If you didn't notice, I did more of a remix on 'The Princess Test' by Gail Carson Levine, than The Princess and the Pea. Alright, comments are very much appreciated and make the next chapter, or part two i suppose, appear faster! c: 
 
     Thanks, bye for now. <3