Chapter 4

The Queen's Knight

At the center of the Palace was the Grand Throne Room, its golden walls shining with a certain pride under the sunlight that touched its surface. Placed at the front of the Throne Room, the symbol of the country's authority and pure lineage was sitting at the front of the Throne Room so that he was the first thing you would see when you entered the room. The Old King was seated on his throne that others like him in the past have sat on, being fanned gently while listening to what Military Commander Kim Jong Kook was saying. 

The Old King sat with an attentive expression on his face, listening carefully to every word Commander Kim Jong Kook said. The King had an air of authority over everyone surround him and anyone near him submitted to his will, whether they were aware of it or not. The King was dressed in the traditional Hanbok with the crest of the Dragon to show that he was the undisputed ruler of the country. On his long white hair was the golden traditional crown that many kings before him had worn, the shape of a dragon weaving in and out of itself before rearing up into the air on his head. 

"And so your Majesty I think it would be best if I patrolled the city to see if I can find out more information about this mysterious merchant called Dong Wan " said Commander Jong Kook, who was stiffly standing in front of the Old King with a serious expression on his face. The Old King rose his head from his hand that had been resting on the arm-rest of the Throne before nodding with an expression that showed the depth of the Old King's trust in Commander Jong Kook. With a deep bow Commander Jong Kook walked away from the Throne and was about to exit the Throne Room when the Old King asked him something that made him stop in his tracks. "Commander Jong Kook-ssi, have you seen Princess Song Ji Hyo-gakha today?" asked the Old King, with a blank expression on his face. 

Jong Kook could feel his ears grow red and his cheeks burn with embarrassment. His palms felt sweaty and his heart pounded in his chest as the question rang through out his head. The Old King had always known how Jong Kook felt towards Princess Song Ji Hyo, had probably known from when he had watched the Princess and the Commander meet for the second time within the Palace walls and must have put two and two together based on the way Jong Kook had been looking at her. Since that day Jong Kook had been endlessly teased by the Old King about his affections for Princess Song Ji Hyo. He would have thought that by now he should have been used to the usual teasing but he still felt embarrassed upon hearing her name in that light mocking tone of the Old King's. 

Trying not to make his voice sound weak with what he is feeling, he answered the Old King's question. "No I haven't seen her today" replied Jong Kook, his voice loud enough for the Old King to hear. With that Jong Kook carried on out of the Throne Room, ignoring the stare the Old King bore into his retreating form and dashed down the stone steps that led into the Throne Room. He mumbled to himself, cursing at the fact that he had made his feelings for Princess Song Ji Hyo so obvious to the Old King years back. He made an oath to himself that from now on he would try his best to not show his emotions, his reactions towards Princess Song Ji Hyo though he knew it was futile for he was known to be a terrible actor, a person as easy to read as an open book. 

As he walked the teasing of the Old King washed off him and he wondered where and what Princess Song Ji Hyo was doing. He had only seen her yesterday but that was only a glimpse and he longed to see her again, though he knew it would be both impossible and odd of him to do so. He couldn't call the Princess so suddenly without a good reason or order from the Old King and he wouldn't either. Jong Kook sighed at his own hopelessness. It seemed he was doomed to be torn like that; both wanting to see her, to hold her but also to scared or shy to make a move forward. He was growing increasingly frustrated at himself that he took his anger out on his guards more often then usual, noticed the confused looks they gave him when he shouted at them for no apparent reason at all. 

He continued down the stone court and then turned left, in the direction of the Great Library, where he spent an hour or so calming himself down by reading military strageties and basic combat training he thought he could apply in next week's training regime. Feeling a little tired and wanting the comfort of his futon, he closed the book he had been reading and exited the Great Library and headed towards his sleeping quarters, which to his luck just so happened to be near Princess Song Ji Hyo's quarters. He did the odd thing of getting up early in the morning, on the excuse of morning training, but really it was so that he could avoid an awkward confrontation when meeting her outside his sleeping quarters. And then he would come back late at night from some more training or reading in the Great Library. Why he avoided her, he didn't know. Why he did something that only made him ache for her more or long her more left him clueless. 

I really am hopeless he thought to himself as he turned a corner and bumped into someone, an oof coming him and a yelp coming from a feminine voice followed by a tumble to the wooden floor. He looked down to see Princess Song Ji Hyo on the floor, nursing her head with her hand. Jong Kook stood there dumbfounded for a moment, wondering what she was doing out so late and cursing at himself for having been so careless towards her. He bent down and grabbed Princess Song Ji Hyo's hand before dragging her back up onto her feet. 

He dusted her silken white nighting-gown, secretly admiring the fact it seemed to heighten her beauty. His hand lingered on the skirt of the gown for a moment longer before looking up to see her staring at him with a blank expression. He blushed slightly at being caught touching her for longer then he should have. Fighting past the nervousness he was feeling, Jong Kook asked her a question. "You alright your Highness? Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked while he looked into her eyes deeply. 

Jong Kook thought he saw a flicker of something but what he wasn't sure. Was it disgust? Dislike? Did she feel uncomfortable with him staring at her like that? He didn't know but it made him feel paranoid and he felt stupid for looking at her like that. "I'm fine" was her simple reply, her voice sounding cold and emotionless. With a slight nod and small smile Jong Kook bowed before saying "Anyeong-hi jumushipshiyo Princess Song Ji Hyo" before straightening himself and speed walking into his sleeping quarters, not noticing the slight blush that had taken flight on her cheeks. As he slammed his sliding door his legs lost their strength and he crumbled down to the floor. 

He was panting but he didn't know why. He was sweating but he didn't know why. He felt weak in the knees but he didn't know why. All he knew was that his heart was beating fast, like he had just ran around the Palace, and that the reason was because of Princess Song Ji Hyo. He felt nervous around her and his love for her only made matters worse. He put a hand to his chest and felt the pounding of his heart as he pictured the way she looked so alluring in a way that made him want her. He imagined the way she looked so innocent and pure, a matured beauty, in the white fabric that matched her skin tone and his heart sped up once again. 

As he climbed into his futon, he wondered if there would be a time when her heart would beat fast because of him, not knowing that she was still outside standing still with a shocked expression on her face, a blush colouring her cheeks and her hand over heart, feeling its rhythmatic beat sped up to fast forward. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There we go, finally done. I really liked writing this one and I think you can tell for I seemed to have put more effort into this one. Sorry for the long update lets just say when my dad's home I can't so any fanfiction writing. Thank you to those of you have patiently waited for the next chapter, can feel you your support. Also sorry for the short interaction between spartace. Hope you enjoyed it :)

 

P.S: Thanks to innocent_kpopgurl for helping me when I was clueness on what to write for the next chapter.